YesNoOk

The Kamen Rider/Super Sentai Thread (Read 610988 times)

Started by Hams Will Get You, September 07, 2009, 10:26:18 am
Share this topic:

lui

Re: The Kamen Rider/Super Sentai Thread
#1741  August 04, 2018, 05:17:06 am
    • USA
Hey man those movies may be dumb but they sure are a fun dumb time.

Also, I started watching Kamen Rider Amazons. Riiiiiight after watching Fourze. Jesus Christ the tonal whiplash I got cannot be described, GOING from Fourze's super positive theme to Amazons's extremely dark themes and Gore is such a weird feeling lmao

Seriously, it's depressing as hell. Just finished Season 1, heading to Season 2 rn
#1742  August 25, 2018, 06:32:05 pm
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 07:59:12 pm by Byakko
#1743  September 05, 2018, 11:41:54 am
  • Here every now and then...
    • USA
    • zboyx8@live.com
Geez, I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. Designs in Zi-O look great and all but man i got nothing but Decade flashbacks when watching the first episode(and I'm what i call a "Decade Apologist"). And that's not necessarily a good thing. Especially the pacing of the episode. It was practically nonexistent
#1744  November 27, 2018, 12:16:16 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
So far Kamen Rider Zi O feels really weak....There are several flaws here especially the characters...
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#1745  December 02, 2018, 04:31:40 pm
when's decade gonna show up in the show?
#1746  December 02, 2018, 08:52:22 pm
Literally yesterday.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#1747  December 07, 2018, 03:24:32 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#1748  October 01, 2019, 07:30:45 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
greetings from the future!

does anyone here still watches kamen rider?

boy oh boy was zi-o terrible! the story was a complete mess and the only character from that show that iliked was woz (the black one obviously becasue once you go black you never go back!) the only other thing i liked and kept me coming back was decade/diend. i never watched decade except for the movies (that only served to spoil the ending for me).

so, since that was the only thing that i liked, i decided to finally watch decade! and... it was meh. it was also a mess but didn't felt as bad as zi-o to me. i really liked tsukasa. specially since he reminds me of my first/best rider, tendou!

now that i finally watched decade, i was once again intrigued into watching another kamen rider show. this time, based on what i thought was the worst part of decade (aside from those terrible kids ruining the show and natsumikan being boring af) i'm talking about yusuke aka kuuga who was useless and a third wheel. not even a secondary rider but a jobber rider (i understand that he was supposed to serve as moral support but, comeone man! it was fucking kuuga! NO FEAR, NO PAIN)

so i watched kuuga and boy oh boy... i fucking LOVED IT! on one end it is completely different from the other rider shows ive watched (the oldest one being kabuto) as anyone who has watched the show would know it is basically a police drama with tokusatsu on it (unlike fucking drive which is a live action cartoon that is kinda about cops) that had real people on it. it is also fucking brutal having the highest on-screen kill count than all kamen rider shows i've watched combined and it was sometimes a straight up horror movie! the fights were great and it had actual bike stunts! the bike was used for more than getting from point a to b or some convoluted cgi sequence that's only used once or twice (at one point kuuga and a grongi hada fight using wheelies... it was awesome!). i can go on

sure, it was far from perfect being borderline experimental. the plot felt that it could have been covered in 26 episodes but had to be expanded to 49. now the subs i watched were substandard but still most of the time you couldn't understand the villians motivation since they speak a different languange (though, you can sort of get what was going on by their actions) and the show was very repetitive (and even had 2 recap episodes)

btu still, i really really loved the characters. ichijou and yuske are the otp. heck, i even liked the comic relieaf uncle character (and i always hate those) and i cared more about if enokida was going to sort things out with her son that i've ever cared for those dispoable victim of the wee characters in most kamen rider shows

i'm starting agito (just 3 epsidoes) and it's alright so far. i don't think i'll watch all rider shows before decade but i at least want to watch ryuki too. i sometimes want to rewatch kabuto but then i remember that i hated almost everyone except tendou and i speacially hated kagami (who was basically the actual protagonist).

now, ichigo was the quintessential japanese hero
yuske is a precious bettle man, too pure for this world
and fucking zero one...

at least that show has a robot secretary
#1749  October 01, 2019, 10:42:40 am
Faiz and Blade are good too. Ryuuki didn't do it for me.
There's a version of Kuuga that translates the grongi language (since it's just a syllable swap of Japanese). I don't think it has anything big that requires a rewatch, it's just nice.
I stopped halfway through Zi-O (after black Woz came out) and I started 01 but I don't really have the time.
#1750  October 01, 2019, 02:48:39 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
I'm enjoying what I'm seeing of 01. Then again that could just be relief at Zi-O finishing.

Rider Time Ryuki was great though. And it's clear that they actually put effort into some of those tributes unlike Decade.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#1751  October 01, 2019, 03:01:18 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

Keep away from Hibiki.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#1752  October 14, 2019, 01:45:15 am
i'm aware of hibiki's weirdness and i wasn't even gonna bother anyway because i'm  tired of yokai-related crap

(after black Woz came out)
i'm sure you mean white woz (it's amazing how they took the best character and made him terrible)

i started agito and i'm 1/4 through and it's pretty meh... does it get better or should i skip it?

also, i noticed that the main girl is played by the same actress who plays the waitress in den-o. i just can't escape fucking den-o even while watching shows that take place before it even existed!
#1753  October 14, 2019, 03:16:15 am
i'm sure you mean white woz (it's amazing how they took the best character and made him terrible)
Probably, I don't remember. The Rider one.
It's been a long time and I don't remember too much of Agito, but from what I remember, it feels like something "standard", like the average of what a Kamen Rider should be, but it's forgettable and the view on manichaeism doesn't help. Not terrible, just... meh. Gills and G3 are okay characters, it's obvious they tried to reproduce the Kuuga relationship, but again, it's just "average".
#1754  November 08, 2019, 06:47:10 am
  • PLUS ULTRA!
    • USA
Damn Many Months when I last posted I was a Rookie now I feel that I'm a Veteran of Rider watching. I just finished Kamen Rider Kiva was amazing by the way. A Vampire/Fangire themed Rider Season with all the drama I wanted to see fighting over Titles that people have been fighting for before Wataru was born. They need to bring back that Season and continue the story to be honest. I also watched before then Kuuga, Decade, Build, Gaim and now Zero One. Zero One has been amazing because it feels different compared to past Seasons or Seasons I've watched before this one. The look of World and Story has been hitting the mark with every Episode and I can't wait to see where it goes. Valkyrie is my girl love her to pieces what is everyone's favorite Episode so far from Zero One?
#1755  November 14, 2019, 04:12:51 pm
I tried to watch Kiv a long time ago but I got a bit overwhelmed when I noticed there was like an extra spin-off series and/or more so I said to myself I'll leave it for later. Well, it's been over 10 years now. : -\ Which is a shame because Kiva has one of my favorite Rider desings and my only expose to Kiva was the disocunt-bin-Kiva we got in Decade (I hated that fat kid! In fact I hated all those darn kids in my Rider show. Kids belong on the other side of the show buying all the merchandise not ruining the show).

Ah, Zero-One. Well, the biggest pro this show has it's that it's not Zi-O. Also, Izu!

I absolutely hate Haruto, he's a moron, he can't fight (seriouly, go check how many times he Spends on the damn floor. He should have been a worm instead of a grasshopper). And most importantly he is NOT FUNNY; and I don't mean his whole failed comedian thing but rather every attempt at comedy in the show that revolves around Haruto screeching like a retard. I don't know if it's the actor's fault or the director told him to act like a complete moron because that's "funny".

In fact I hate most guys in this show: police guy is annoying with his whole I HATE HUMAGEARS thing, I see what they want to do but he goes around pointing his gun at everyone at the drop of a hat and it's very over the top. It might change from here onwards. That happy go lucky bad guy is an autist and I hate his whole "won't you be my friend?" thing and I hope he dies horribly. the other main bad guy is a chuuni (but his Rider form was really cool. Also, SCORPIONS!).

And a shout out to Yaiba for being cool and another reason to keep me watching the show. Though, she was nerf'd in this last few episodes.

The story is kinda alright (at least it's not a mess like Zi-O) and I want to see where it goes. But I don't like the execution. For example, they make a point of Yaiba telling Haruto that they can just backup the Humagears that turn evil and bring them back once it's established that his only option is to destroy them. But Haruto tells her that would just be a copy and not the original one (which they spend the episode "growing as a character"), etc. Ok, I'm sold! Except, they go and destroy it and at the end they do have a copy and everything is ok and nobody seems to care....

The fights are also lame. It basically goes the same everytime: Haruto does his over-exaggerated transformation sequence that destroys everything in it's path. He throws like 2 punches and gets his ass handed to him. He gets a new upgrade or uses the one he got the previous episode and goes full CGI stock footage and the battle is over. The cops have more interesting fights.

tl;dr: I don't like Zero-One but some tings I like are forcing me to keep watching it.