YesNoOk

Mortal Kombat 11 : PS4/PC/XBoxOne/Switch (April 23 2019) (Read 248358 times)

Started by GTOAkira, December 07, 2018, 05:29:54 am
Share this topic:
Re: Mortal Kombat 11 : PS4/PC/XBoxOne/Switch (April 23 2019)
#541  November 29, 2019, 07:00:07 pm
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
But isn't violence the selling point of MK!?
Lasagna
Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 08:35:55 pm by -Ash-
#542  November 29, 2019, 09:28:18 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Yeeeeessssssss?

Like how DOA isn't DOA without it's sex appeal, MK isn't MK without it's excessive violence.

THAT SAID, the difference here is that earlier MKs while there was plenty of blood and gore flying everywhere, it honestly was more goofy looking than anything vomit inducing. Simply compare early MK fatalities to MKX and 11 fatalities and you can see a significant difference between them.
#543  November 29, 2019, 10:14:49 pm
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
I honestly fail to see the problem. Considering how well MK11 sold, its safe to say that people love that shit.
Lasagna
#544  November 30, 2019, 02:36:40 am
    • Brazil
But isn't violence the selling point of MK!?
I think Boon himself once said that Mortal Kombat would still sell well even if violence was removed. The point is, violence used to be characteristic and simple, a way to execute the enemy once the fight was over, like the Scorpion fatality he pointed in the video, it shows personality and its meant to be a quick and simple execution using the character's power. The thing is, its become excessive, its not about the execution anymore, its just about being the most gross it can be, showing closeups of organs and bones being destroyed all the time, focusing on the detail of the mutilation. Notice how, ever since MKX, the fatalities have become less and less memorable, because they're just random mutilations now.

I honestly fail to see the problem. Considering how well MK11 sold, its safe to say that people love that shit.
Many things that sell have problems or are problems. MK11 selling well doesn't mean the game cannot be heavily improved, and it certainly doesn't mean its being sold exclusively because of the fatalities, we still have good gameplay and memorable characters (despite the fact they're being butchered when it comes to the story, RIP Sindel) that help the game sell, as said above, the game would still sell even without violence.
#545  November 30, 2019, 06:27:08 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
As an example of what Macaulyn is saying, all you have to do is look at MK vs. DC Universe. That was the one time where they did NOT use their trademark violence and it still sold very well at that time (Nearly 2 million units) despite the backlash from fans that were unhappy with the lack of violence.
#546  December 01, 2019, 01:36:48 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Mortal Kombat sells on brand name recognition alone.
#547  December 04, 2019, 01:58:31 pm
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
But the fans in general, the fans that follow the franchise since the first game are giving up of the franchise because of all the bullshit NRS did in MK11.
#548  December 13, 2019, 06:11:18 am
    • Brazil

Joker Teaser
#549  January 16, 2020, 04:37:42 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
who is laughing now?

#550  March 09, 2020, 01:30:20 am
    • Argentina
:O :O
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#551  March 09, 2020, 06:02:15 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Well, they certainly nail the presentation of Spawn down to a T.  11/10 on the display, just about how one would expect Spawn to look without the restraints of older hardware like back in SCII.  Keith David reprising his role is greatly appreciated as well.

Haven't played MK11 in a while, this is just the draw I'd need to come back for a bit.  Missed out on Sindel, Nightwolf, Terminator and....vaguely Leto-ish Joker.
#552  March 18, 2020, 07:59:58 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
did anyone have a server outage on Mortal Kombat 11 yesterday, because after i got spawn and the costume dlc, I went to towers of time, and I can't do anything. I can't even customize my character and stuff.

Anyway, I got spawn and he plays amazing, he went from being a guest character in the xbox version of soul calibur 2 to begin a guest character in mortal kombat 11.
#553  March 19, 2020, 02:49:31 am
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
did anyone have a server outage on Mortal Kombat 11 yesterday, because after i got spawn and the costume dlc, I went to towers of time, and I can't do anything. I can't even customize my character and stuff.

Anyway, I got spawn and he plays amazing, he went from being a guest character in the xbox version of soul calibur 2 to begin a guest character in mortal kombat 11.

Biggest difference this time is that he is actually in a series he fit.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#554  March 19, 2020, 04:28:46 am
    • Brazil
I fail to see what exactly makes him unfit to Soul Calibur.
#555  March 28, 2020, 01:14:52 am
    • Germany

Excessively dark and edgy 90's western comic superhero character in a Japanese Fantasy fighting game...

Now think about it again and if you still can't see it then nobody can help you. ö.ö
#556  March 28, 2020, 04:10:50 pm
    • Brazil

Excessively dark and edgy 90's western comic superhero character in a Japanese Fantasy fighting game...

Now think about it again and if you still can't see it then nobody can help you. ö.ö
The japanese fantasy fighting game in which the main story happens around two swords that suck souls out of people? I think he fits in just fine.
#557  April 09, 2020, 07:17:17 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB

In my opinion , Star wars characters like Vader and Yoda were far more outrages choice then Spawn, lets not forget 2B
#558  April 09, 2020, 11:30:39 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
I can understand Vader, Yoda and Starkiller not meshing well into the the look of Soul Calibur. You can easily make a case for 2B, but I might have a reason why she works out so well...

Fan service. SC VI parleyed their fan service as part of the package and 2B is, let's be honest here, a bit catered towards the fan service (Granted, I haven't played Nier Automata yet, so that can easily change if and when I get a crack at it). It worked out.

Spawn? Well, I like to think he was thrown in as part of a package deal because of Todd McFarlane creating Necrid for SC II.
#559  April 10, 2020, 02:59:42 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I can jump in on the 2B bit, having just literally gone from 0 to 100% of it in a week.  Its take on fanservice in her actual game is less for the sake of it just existing because anime and more your typical cyberpunk fare of discussing sexuality through artificial bodies.  They're androids, they're sexless.  A large part of the story of it is each side of the war between human-made androids and alien-made robots left to their own devices discovering their own humanity and what souls and love really are, etc..  Not particularly spoiler-ish, I suppose, but for all the lead-in focus on 2B's leotard and split dress, it is literally never a focus point at all in the game how one looks, at most there's a plot point related to the alien robots running down human emotions and trying to hack them onto one of the main characters and you get this message.  Which is then rejected.  Rather its inferred that humans left androids as essentially dress-up dolls.  One of the three main protagonists, A2, is literally all but stark naked the entire game, wearing just a torn corset that can get damaged off her anyways so she is just bare naked, and they're just Barbie dolls.  Or adult body Astro Boy would be more accurate.  It's like a M-rated Toy Story.

Now, SCVI's use of it is much more surface-level, it's there to be sexy and entice people who haven't played the game because sex sells.

If anything, every other character either has a lore explanation or fits the time frame of Soul Calibur.  That's where 2B fails.  As fantastical as Automata is....it's also in the year 11000-something without time travel and the magic of Drakengard/Nier being long dead and gone.  She's just in the game just 'cuz, and that bugs me the most.  Though I suppose now knowing the context of the character using her as just a "sex sells" standpoint is mildly irritating at missing the point.
#560  April 10, 2020, 03:59:56 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Actually trying with guests anymore is sadly a (not completely however) lost art. 11 and X are huge offenders to this. Yeah, we're gonna want an in game reason of why some 80s movie character is in a game that originally started from parodying a 90s martial art movie and "because" or "it's not canon" won't cut it.