YesNoOk

My 20th Mugen Anniversary (Read 6969 times)

Started by O Ilusionista, December 02, 2019, 09:11:59 pm
Share this topic:
My 20th Mugen Anniversary
#1  December 02, 2019, 09:11:59 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
Today I celebrate a historic date for me: 20 years of work with Mugen!

Here is a bit of my story:

I don't quite remember the day I started, but it was December 1999 - Mugen was launched in June 1999. I had already known an engine called "KOF91" that was much more limited but easier to use. I worked and I heard about a Mugen guy.

My first character was the most horrible thing in the universe: brown goo, which I drew in Paint and exchanged some KFM images. I remember marveling at that, but I couldn't make much progress - and the tools of the time didn't help much. Remember that at the time we did not have a visual editor, everything was done by command line and to work with AIR you used AirViewer. Not even the MCM existed at the time. I ended up leaving the project aside and kept following the development of the engine while I was editing a character for KOF91 (Nude Felicia, lol).

2 years later, I went back to Mugen and on 17/03/2001 I started as a news post on MugenBR, where I stayed for years as moderator and then as Administrator, making MugenBR (with the help of the team) the biggest Mugen forum in Portuguese of the world. By disagreement with the site owner, I ended up leaving there - and was joined by several other members, which marked the fall and end of MugenBR in 2015.

On February 5, 2002, I founded the Brazil Mugen Team, which was a team composed only of Brazilian creators, along with SodohHID, DESouza and SPY MAN. The team has changed over time and today only Ethan Lives and I are still active (Ethan has always been working in the shadows).

Sodon HID and I have been working on this character since September 2001 and it was also in 2002 that I launched a character that would mark me forever: Perfect Weapon MB-02, which was a cyber and overpowered version of Sagat. Later, I met Ethan Lives and we started the project "Street Fighter Spec Ops" - a complete game with only edited characters from the Street Fighter universe.

This project is the longest WIP in Mugen history, as we have been working on it since 2002 - only 17 years old, lol. For comparison purposes only, the character "Prototype Weapon MB-01" took 12 years to complete. This even became a joke among friends, as the first post of the project said "almost done". It's almost done for 17 years, hahahaha.

Over the past 20 years, I have been able to follow the birth and death of various forums (MugenBR, MugenShock, PãoDeMugen, Mugen11, among others), websites, tools (MCM, MEE, Paletero, ZCharCAD, Fighter Factory. creation of all of them from 'Paletero' and today I still contribute to the Fighter Factory) and unfortunately I also followed the departure of some breeders such as Reu and my good longtime friend Juan Carlos. I also followed weddings, the birth Farewell, I made many friends (and many enemies), I followed the gender change of some friends (today, friends) ... a lot of story to tell, really, I was single when I started and today I have two teenage children already - that help me from time to time in my creations.

I am proud to say that I am part of Mugen history. For better or for worse, lol.

To celebrate those 20 years, I had the idea to finally release Spec Ops ... but guess what: it was not possible, lol. But I'll be releasing a lot of content this month, like a full game.

I never thought it was going to last that long, I almost left Mgen last year but I'm still here, firm and strong (or not) after 77 characters and 94 stages released.

I would like to thank each of you who have been part of my journey throughout this time.

Thank you!

Douglas Baldan - a.k.a O Ilusionista.
Re: My 20th Mugen Anniversary
#2  December 02, 2019, 09:36:16 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
Beautiful. I only discovered MUGEN around 2008, but I remember playing with Perfefct Weapon, Psycho Weapon, Sevil Nathe and many other chars from BMT. Good times. I also always heard your name in many forums and websites related to MUGEN, thinking "well, that guy must be important".
Anyway, Happy Mugen Anniversary from one of your fellow brazilian fans ;D
Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 09:58:31 am by DeathScythe
#3  December 02, 2019, 09:37:20 pm
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
Hey buddy, thanks for the nice words :)

HQ

#4  December 02, 2019, 10:10:32 pm
Congratulations on making it this far! This was quite the ride!
It's great to see you still being around after all these years and countless online places that since have been lost in the black holes of the Internet.
I think back of these days greatly, where as a young teenager who had first opened Mugen in 2001, I'd be thrilled to come back from school, start an old pc, dial up the 56k modem and check all these places, to see if there's was an update on the old boards concerning a new character or stage. You and your work were without a doubt, a certain & ever contributing part of that time! Thank you for that!

#5  December 02, 2019, 10:48:34 pm
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
oh, thanks for the nice words.

It's great to know that I was part of people's lives, especially adolescence, because it's something you remember all your life :)
This is why I'm still here: I want to be able to bring some joy to people's lives and still have fun.

Thanks for all the support.
#6  December 02, 2019, 11:15:24 pm
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Parabéns Professor! :D

Like i always said, you're one of my inspirations to MUGEN and i'm glad you still going on doing great stuff for MUGEN along these 20 years.
#7  December 02, 2019, 11:15:57 pm
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
Thanks for your constant support, buddy!
#8  December 03, 2019, 12:44:37 am
    • https://sites.google.com/site/mgmurrow/
My friend and my inspiration, dont know where i would be without you. hope there are many years to come with you

Happy Anniversary my friend

MGMURROW
#9  December 03, 2019, 12:48:32 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
My friend and my inspiration, dont know where i would be without you. hope there are many years to come with you

Happy Anniversary my friend

MGMURROW

THanks for the nice words of support. Means a lot to me :)
#10  December 03, 2019, 01:14:32 am
Happy 20th Anniversary, one of my top favorite Mugen creator aka O Ilusionista  :truestory:

I first started downloading Mugen contents after I got my internet connection somewhere in year 2003 and saw your character (MB-02) in MugenBR featured as character of the month, but after a few weeks, it was changed to Ravenous by Ex-Inferis or Zemial or Judith by Sepher I think. I remember seeing your Bob Wilson (first version) as well where I was browsing for Real bout Fatal Fury series characters and your Bob Wilson has funny stance which makes me laugh when I first saw it :mlol: After seeing several Special Operation's characters from you and Ethan Lives, I started to get hook on them and always wished MB-01 would be released at that time :P I was also keen on seeing how your Street Fighter Special Operation Mugen game's progress from the first day you announced it and even now as well ;D I am always glad to see you still around in the Mugen community ever since the Dos era :truestory:

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#11  December 03, 2019, 03:36:28 am
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
Congrats!
            Zorf Giudecca
#12  December 03, 2019, 03:59:36 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
and saw your character (MB-02) in MugenBR featured as character of the month, but after a few weeks, it was changed to Ravenous by Ex-Inferis or Zemial or Judith by Sepher

We have an old school here :)
Thanks for the support!
#13  December 03, 2019, 04:09:08 am
Happy anniversary!
When I first became interested in MUGEN, Blaze Agent and Mexican Typhoon were among my favorites!
#14  December 03, 2019, 04:16:38 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
Hehehe thank you. It's nice to hear those histories.
#15  December 03, 2019, 05:05:20 am
  • Osu!
  • Dragon Destiny Project
    • Brazil
Happy birthday my friend, is good to see in here today making more of your creations.

I'm here for help if you need, ever.

PS: MaKoTo_KuN is my nickname in old MGBR Forum, I like to remember of these days.
#16  December 03, 2019, 07:59:39 am
    • Canada
Well damn... and just as our Mugen dinosaur asses caught up lol. But man, that post takes me back. 20 years really did creep up.

I remember sites like Street Mugen, MugenBR, BMT, and Mugen China to name a few when I first started making my roster around 2002. BMT characters like MB-01/02, Blaze Agent, and Dark Bolt were some of my favorites back in the day, especially Blaze Agent. I even remember when he was a W.I.P. Pitting them against Reu's Evil Ken and Ryu and having them as bosses were some great times. And funny you bring up MCM. It still baffles me to this day how you guys managed to code with the tools you had at the time.

Anyway, it was dope to finally meet you years later as a fellow creator around 2011 at CSX. Had some fun times in the Xat chatroom. Been cool ever since. And once again, it's awesome you're still in the game my friend. Very passionate individual!
#17  December 03, 2019, 08:37:41 am
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Yo, happy anniversary... mine's has probably been passed but too lazy to keep track and write up such long and exquisite post ;)
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#18  December 03, 2019, 09:18:24 am
  • Was it something I said?
Holy crap! Happy Anniversary, my dude!

TiE

#19  December 03, 2019, 09:23:18 am
  • used the search button
    • Germany
Happy Anniversary, dude!

To this day Pocket O Ilusionista along a Pocket Terry is still a sticky in my roster.
Love your versatile works and whatever the future holds for you, I hope it's awesome!
[BGdef]
 ;Filename of sprite data
spr = stages/ ***.sff
#20  December 03, 2019, 01:09:04 pm
  • MvC Adict!!
    • Argentina
    • marvelvscapcomextreme.000webhostapp.com
Happy anniversary Douglas!, you´re a legend in the mugen community, and a very talented guy.
For more years!
Marvel vs Capcom Extreme (find the MvC2 characters project right here too!):
marvelvscapcomextreme.000webhostapp.com

Follow the project on:
www.instagram.com/marvelvscapcomextreme/
www.youtube.com/c/MarvelvsCapcomExtreme
www.player.me/marvelvscapcomextreme/

I recieved messages of users that want to donate from paypal or patreon, if you consider that this is a nice and very dedicated project, you can donate any amount that you want right here:
www.paypal.me/marianoemeschini