YesNoOk

Star Wars Thread: The Rise of running out of witty titles (Read 495381 times)

Started by Roman55, October 30, 2012, 09:02:49 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Star Wars Thread: The Rise of running out of witty titles
#401  December 24, 2019, 10:52:59 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I kind of hated it.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I'm not sure if I think it's worse than the prequels. It certainly executed it's goals far more competently than any of those movies... but said goals are completely empty and hollow. The prequels might've had shitty execution, but they at least were trying to do something interesting.

I don't think I'd recommend this movie. Instead, please see Cats. Yes, seriously. It's so, so, so much worse, but it's an infinitely better theater experience.

Or maybe watching Cats just made me insane. Insane like Macavity! Make the jellicle choice! See CATS!!!!!!!
#402  December 24, 2019, 11:51:00 am
I knew it was gonna be bad. there's no saving the franchise after Rian Johnson basically killed it. JJ should've handed the script duties to someone more competent but Disney were panicking after the mixed reception of TLJ and just let him do whatever he wants.

Now you'll have to endure Star Wars fanboys rationalize its flaws and make excuses for it for a while. In ten years or more we'll all look at the Sequels episodes with the same glasses that we now see the prequels with.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#403  December 24, 2019, 06:32:50 pm
    • USA
TRoS's faults are very much its own. Every boneheaded decision and poor choice should be blamed solely on the people involved in the making of it, not on Rian Johnson.

Especially since TLJ rules. I legit think its either the best movie in the series, or a very close second.
#404  December 24, 2019, 09:29:06 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
why did they do rose like that? disney are cowards
#405  December 25, 2019, 01:25:07 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

lol

She existed exclusively to bring in the Yuans and failed at it, it shouldn't be surprise she has a much more limited role now.
#406  December 25, 2019, 04:10:51 am
    • USA
I'm not sure that makes a ton of sense; hiring a random actor as a secondary lead and hoping it'll magically get China to love your movie just because said actor is of Asian descent is just not really a sound strategy, and extremely unlikely to be one Disney was pursuing. Especially since in this instance, a Chinese audience would put much more weight on the American aspect of "Asian-American" than the Asian part... plus her family is Vietnamese, not Chinese. They were just looking for unknowns, much like how much of the cast of the original movies (and TFA) were either complete unknowns or were pretty new on the scene, and Kelly Marie Tran, whose biggest role before TLJ was probably as "Teen Friend" in an episode of the Comedy Bang! Bang! TV show (a great episode, BTW).

Something similar can and does happen, though: Chinese audiences (and the "worldwide box office" in general) respond really well to big, established megastars. Frequently that's just white Hollywood actors, but Chinese movie stars sometimes get cast to try and appeal to the Chinese box office. Rogue One is a good example here, with Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen, two really big Chinese stars who were brought on in the hopes of getting Star Wars successful in China (a project that as of yet has produced no results). In fact, I'm pretty sure they happily admitted that they were hoping to appeal to Chinese audiences when they announced their casting!
#407  December 25, 2019, 05:27:34 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 06:31:02 am by 【MFG】gui0007
#408  December 25, 2019, 05:59:25 am
  • ?
    • Canada
    • m_di_g@hotmail.com
I kind of felt empty inside after watching Rise of Skywalker, which is exactly how I felt after watching TLJ but for completely different reasons. TLJ had frustrating/dumb story beats and unsatisfying and inconsistent character arcs while ROS has way too many story beats and too many unnecessary chararcter arcs going on that either get forgotten by the movie or don't amount to much, with a lot of it being really dumb. It doesn't help that ROS didn't bother carrying over what little that TLJ set up aside from

It's absolutely not fair to say that TLJ was the sole cause of the latest movie's issues, but I do think that TLJ put ROS in an awkward position story wise, and it kinda shows. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to retcon forget these past two trilogies and just pretend that the OG one is the only one that exists so that I can be extra happy today.
#409  December 25, 2019, 06:07:35 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA

It looks like Episode 9 of the Star Wars movies under-performed badly and Disney's stock has taken a hit because of the fact the franchise is collapsing. They will have to think big to get out of the few-billion dollar pit that they seem to find themselves in.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#410  December 25, 2019, 06:25:15 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
lol

She existed exclusively to bring in the Yuans and failed at it, it shouldn't be surprise she has a much more limited role now.

yeah the extremely good strategy of bringing in a vietnamese woman with no big acting credits to bring in "yuans" give me a break lol

she failed insofar as she pissed off a bunch of vitriolic ppl who proceeded to harrass her over social media and disney kowtowed to it.
#411  December 25, 2019, 07:24:06 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

I never even implied casting a random Asian was a genius strategy to get Chinese bux (it sure as hell wasn't), but if you genuinely believe the Disney overlords didn't cynically think "mo' asians in the movie = mo' asian moneys", well, then just look at how they drummed up their groundbreaking queer couple and their historical kiss.

Rose getting cucked out of both Finn and screentime has probably a lot more to do with her not being one of JJ the Jet Plane's OCs than with 30-something angry spergs buying her action figures en masse just to behead them.
#412  December 25, 2019, 07:31:56 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
JJ Abrams plays it extremely safe and tbh so does Lucasfilm nowadays (they have a tendency to take potshots at Rian's work specifically because of the fan outrage and what do you know, this movie was a soullessly produced pander/nostalgia fest for the older fans), plus they went so far as removing KMT from promotional material. TBH even finn was very sidelined, but what they did to Rose feels more than just JJ not being invested in her. I don't doubt much of this is Disney's own cynical financial strategy and Lucasfilm's inability to stand by the work of their filmmakers but the fan outrage is a major component of that. I think its a big part of the reason ROS is what it is.
#413  December 25, 2019, 08:51:07 am
    • USA
    • Dumanios@yahoo.com
    • Skype - Dumanios
Saw Rise of Skywalker on Monday.

Palpatine completely stole the show, which is nice because he's 2/3s the reason I went to see the movie.

Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 08:55:38 am by Dumanios
#414  December 26, 2019, 04:29:26 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yeah the extremely good strategy of bringing in a vietnamese woman with no big acting credits to bring in "yuans" give me a break lol

It reminds of how mixing all asians as chinese just pisses off asians in the same way that saying all latins are mexicans pisses off latins;

I like this harry potter version of the star wars sequels. ( just one paragraph )

#415  December 26, 2019, 07:12:14 pm
Except
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#416  December 26, 2019, 10:20:47 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
At least in that case
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time

lui

#417  December 27, 2019, 12:37:37 am
    • USA
Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 12:40:42 am by lui
#418  December 27, 2019, 01:02:42 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
And did Palpy
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time

lui

#419  December 27, 2019, 01:11:08 am
    • USA
Palpy

#420  December 30, 2019, 09:29:17 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org

Oooook, I just saw the movie. Have to say I was expecting way worse (kept remembering all the bad comments and how some said it was the worst in the franchise), well, I enjoyed some parts, not so much other parts, it was fine for me.

Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 01:10:09 am by DeathScythe