YesNoOk

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield (Switch) (Read 122204 times)

Started by Kirishima, February 27, 2019, 03:08:36 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield (Switch)
#361  January 09, 2020, 07:31:33 pm
    • USA
I'm actually pretty positive about this bit of news. Not only is Mystery Dungeon back, but no repeat of the lackluster upgrade that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. I'm glad that it seems they kept the open world cause that was the best part of Galar. Though I guess I should wait til June itself to see if the optimism is warranted.

P.S. Why does every company insist on making this Spring packed with like every game imaginable. My poor budget...
#362  January 09, 2020, 11:43:22 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
As someone looking at this without the permanently angry and dissatisfied temperament it apparently takes to be a real pokemon fan, this update actually looks pretty great?  I mean, it appears to be significantly more content than they've historically included in the updated versions while also not costing the same amount as a full retail release like they used to charge and also not requiring you to start the game over from scratch just to access the new content.  I'm failing to see the downside here.
#363  January 10, 2020, 12:26:02 am
  • For honor!
Yeah given that it's modern day Poke'mon Company we're dealing with here, this announcement is a relatively pleasant surprise. They finally caught up with the times with expansion releases. Also you don't actually need to purchase the expansions to get the added Poke'mon as opposed to getting another game for it.

Granted the fundamental problems with Sword and Shield are probably gonna remain (The terrible writing even by series standards, dyna/gigantamax being a poorly thought out piece of shit mechanic, old Poke'mon map design that betrays the open world this game wants me to believe I'm immersed in, a switch game with production values that aren't that much of a step up from the 3DS entries) but at least they got their expansion model good this time around.
Iroha stripped for me
#364  January 10, 2020, 12:36:30 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I....don't get the chosen themes.  Does the U.K. have a smaller island to its East that's tropical climate that I'm unaware of?  And I guess the crown is Greenland?  And the tropical island is an eastern dojo?  Wasn't the point of this U.K. based game to have U.K. based architecture and culture?

I really don't like the idea of new Regis conceptually just to fill more elemental slots, it was fine being just super-literal mineral golems that ancient people made in the lore, but whatever, not like that matters anymore, let the ancient poke-Greeks make their electric golem.  Regional legendaries is also super bizarre.  I suppose if any, the Kanto birds would be the appropriate ones to test with since there are certainly more than just the three within Kanto, but you can't do that with the Johto dogs, the Latias/os twins, and most others because lore has a predetermined number of them in existence.  And speaking of legendaries, their wording on fighting their dynamaxed forms and maybe being able to catch them only with friends worries me they would cut off the option to catch them unless you're in co-op.  Which sounds ridiculous, but wouldn't be the first ridiculous thing this game has thrown into it, so.....I just hope that's a misunderstanding.

I guess it looks ok new content, nothing extraordinary but not really bad either.  It does come across as stuff that was going to be in the game initially and was then pushed off to later include, the whole dojo thing sounds very middle of the game based, not post-game.

Also, Calyrex is just literally Hot Air Balloon form of Lycanroc and you can not convince me otherwise.  I like too that said hot air balloon is just its massive brain, it's like a Grey.
Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 12:39:51 am by Long John Killer
#365  January 10, 2020, 01:39:03 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
this update actually looks pretty great? [...] I'm failing to see the downside here.

It would be a good thing, had it not felt like something you would've already had in the base game of previous titles.

But more importantly, Landorus is back to rule the meta again. Yaaaaaay.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#366  January 10, 2020, 03:04:59 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
All things being equal, "why couldn't it be in the base game" is the exact same argument that's been made against all DLC since the advent of DLC.  Can't really blame that one on Game Freak.
#367  January 10, 2020, 03:06:21 am
    • Brazil
I can, when its the type of content that was always in the base game in previous releases. New Pokémon and areas is okay (or would be, if this game had any decent content in the base game, even then I'd still forgive it if it wasn't for the rest of the bullshit), but old ones? No, that is just bullshit.
Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 03:40:53 am by Macaulyn97
#368  January 10, 2020, 03:32:38 am
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
Did i just saw Gigantamax Cinderace doing the GAINAX/Buster pose?!
#369  January 10, 2020, 03:49:37 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
All things being equal, "why couldn't it be in the base game" is the exact same argument that's been made against all DLC since the advent of DLC.  Can't really blame that one on Game Freak.
I mean, certainly it has become the norm in like the past 10 years, but that wasn't always the case.  Expansion packs for the likes of original Blizzard games, map packs for the likes of Halo, original content made past the game's development cycle and wasn't part of the plan to include in the base game nor expected.  The price they're asking for the actual new content shown here seems fine, personally.  Thankfully, it's not being extended to said content that was removed and put back in.
#370  January 10, 2020, 11:52:46 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK

While true, the game's apparent lack of content compared to previous titles is why I said it.

#371  January 10, 2020, 02:10:27 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Gigantamax is an annoying thing that's not worth it. Dynamax moves are generally better than the G-Max exclusive moves and they can have egg moves.
You're kind of forgetting that there is this "Egg Move Seminar" in the nursery where you can put 2 of the same species regardless of gender in there and one will teach the other the egg move they have as long there's an empty slot in the one that's to learn it. For example, you can get Freeze-Dry and Sparkling Aria on G-Max Lapras.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#372  January 10, 2020, 03:40:12 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
I mean, certainly it has become the norm in like the past 10 years, but that wasn't always the case.  Expansion packs for the likes of original Blizzard games, map packs for the likes of Halo, original content made past the game's development cycle and wasn't part of the plan to include in the base game nor expected.  The price they're asking for the actual new content shown here seems fine, personally.  Thankfully, it's not being extended to said content that was removed and put back in.

Starcraft and Warcraft weren't games that were released in a rushed state lacking in content nor have content been removed from previous games to be released in expansion packs later. SwSh's rushed state is pretty obvious even just by looking at what the game actually has.  What it removed just makes it's state worse.
Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 03:45:24 pm by Mgbenz
#373  January 10, 2020, 08:45:13 pm
  • For honor!
Gigantamax is an annoying thing that's not worth it. Dynamax moves are generally better than the G-Max exclusive moves and they can have egg moves.
You're kind of forgetting that there is this "Egg Move Seminar" in the nursery where you can put 2 of the same species regardless of gender in there and one will teach the other the egg move they have as long there's an empty slot in the one that's to learn it. For example, you can get Freeze-Dry and Sparkling Aria on G-Max Lapras.
I did indeed forget that was a thing much like how everyone should forget about wasting time raiding for a gigantamax Poke'mon and instead just Dynamax a Hawlucha or an Excadrill.

Speaking of whcih
But more importantly, Landorus is back to rule the meta again. Yaaaaaay.
You are now keenly aware that ranked is going to probably consist of
EXCADRILL, LANDORUS, TYRANITAR
YOU DUDES ARE REALLY BORING
YOU NOOBS HAVE NOTHING FOR ME
Iroha stripped for me
Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:49:06 pm by Alpaca-San
#374  January 11, 2020, 12:21:07 am
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
Dont forget Garchomp.

Dunno how to feel. On the one hand, this is much better then making people buy "enhanced" versions. But seeing Pokemon get DLC makes me unconfortable.

While we dont know the full story of why all 800+ Pokemon arent in this game(and unless they do another expansion, never will be) I'm glad they are at least adding more. AND adding a patch that lets you get them even if you dont get the expansion packs.(via trading/transferring but still)

Gonna wait until they're out to make a final decision. For now, I'll have fun with the soon to be dead metagame

(No Gamefreak seriously, why)
#375  January 11, 2020, 02:03:51 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK

#376  January 11, 2020, 06:32:57 pm
    • Canada

While true, the game's apparent lack of content compared to previous titles is why I said it.

This!

The ill intent "sell a broken game & fix it later" DLC practice has been tried to death (thanks EA and Activation) and anyone who's been paying attention saw this coming miles away. S&S still won't even be a year old yet and you're already being resold content that's been available for YEARS... think about it. If this was a direct response to the backlash, it'd be made free.

The thought that Gamefreak/Nintendo have no control over their content is laughable. Do NOT give them a pass as if they suddenly decided to do the right thing by adding Pokemon back... they know what they're doing and these cases are never an act of goodwill. Wake up.
Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 06:39:47 pm by Suprizle
#377  January 12, 2020, 02:23:55 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
You don't have to get the expansion pack to get the returning Pokemon. You can use Home to transfer them there once you download the patch.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#378  January 12, 2020, 07:25:52 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
Kind of beats the whole purpose of the series about catching monsters though.
#379  January 12, 2020, 08:17:21 pm
    • Brazil
Exactly. Hey, either you pay us to catch something in the game or you just bring something you caught from another game so you won't have fun doing it again, yay! Choices!
#380  January 16, 2020, 07:09:25 pm
  • For honor!
Why would you want to catch them agai-No! No! I never want to catch Giratina again that damn heal blocking ghost typing shadow forcing asshole!

And I thought I was fucking crazy for having 2 of every Poke'mon all the way up to gen 7.
Iroha stripped for me