YesNoOk

What's the purpose of difficulty settings for mugen? (Read 3589 times)

Started by Capricorn Kid, March 07, 2020, 01:33:30 am
Share this topic:
What's the purpose of difficulty settings for mugen?
#1  March 07, 2020, 01:33:30 am
    • USA
Cause I have some characters who, even though the difficulty on my mugen is as it's easiest setting, still destroy me when I play Human Vs AI matches. Like, what's the point of changing difficulty if the AI's for certain characters are too tough to beat regardless of what you choose?
Re: What's the purpose of difficulty settings for mugen?
#2  March 07, 2020, 02:00:00 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 It really varies between AI structures, although it originally was only used for the engine's default AI. However, with the AILevel trigger being introduced in 1.0, it is possible to set difficulty levels for custom AI that corresponds to the engine's difficulty level. That means it will have absolutely no effect on pre-1.0 custom AI or 1.0+ custom AI that simply forgoes corresponding with AILevel. You would need to dig into the AI coding to find out for yourself really.

A common example of using AILevel to correspond to difficulty level would be "triggerall = (random < 50*(AILevel**2)/64)"
#3  March 07, 2020, 06:12:27 am
    • crepa.neocities.org

Like Nep said, but in other words (for more easy understanding), it was designed for the default mugen AI, but we all know how terrible it is, so creators make their own AI. In older versions of mugen it's pretty useless. After 1.0 however, it became more useful, but it still depends on the characters you're playing. Many characters for 1.0+ have their AI interacting with the difficulty you set now, which is really good imo.
#4  March 07, 2020, 06:43:49 pm
    • USA
Like Nep said, but in other words (for more easy understanding), it was designed for the default mugen AI, but we all know how terrible it is, so creators make their own AI. In older versions of mugen it's pretty useless. After 1.0 however, it became more useful, but it still depends on the characters you're playing. Many characters for 1.0+ have their AI interacting with the difficulty you set now, which is really good imo.

That makes sense.
#5  March 31, 2020, 05:55:17 pm
    • Spain
If you select a balanced char and a relatively high level of difficulty you´ll have a challenge.