YesNoOk

Corona virus...where do you live and how have your life changed  (Read 1286030 times)

Started by Cong Fu Man, March 13, 2020, 01:36:56 am
Share this topic:
Re: Corona virus...where do you live and how have your life changed
#21  March 13, 2020, 04:48:18 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I got infected; I am still going to my job even if I can barely get any work done due to of the fever , because they won't pay me otherwise. I don't want to infect my family so I have been sleeping in a popular hotel  down town.

J/K, there is an infected in my city,  she came from italy  and she went to the city's biggest shopping mall after that; I went to that same mall a few days after she was there, but it's already been 2 weeks after tht and I ahvenot developed any synthomps so the higiene measurements inded do work; something about not touching your face after touching potentially infected  surfaces ( as the virus has to get in your face so it can go to your lungs ) and to constantly wash you hands and surfaces.

My city has not had any affectations, just companies providing desinfectant gelat the workplaceand mask selling out at some places.
#22  March 13, 2020, 06:36:30 pm
  • Get yer gear up!
    • Spain
Here in north-eastern Spain the classes are cancelled until 30th of this month (in the event that it gets worse, the closure will be extended indefinitely, which means that it could even cover the spring break).
And yes, people here are reacting as if it was freaking WW3, with the local super-markets being almost emptied at closure time.
I have a hope that because of spring and higher temperatures, the disease will slowly die off just like SARS and MERS (diseases that are said to share 90% of their genetic material with the new patogen). And more, a pharmaceutical company in the north-west part of my country claims to be asking to the government for permission to begin testing on infected patients.

Amidst the negativity coming from ignorants and the fear-mongering media some positive news aren't bad (per example, seriously, why is the recovery rate so seldom mentioned yet the infections and deaths explained at full detail? It just irks the heck out of me).
#23  March 13, 2020, 11:15:34 pm
  • Idea!
    • USA
Trump finally responded to it in a better tone than on the 28th of February, and people are mad it took him so long, since the virus, apparently, touched American soil near the end of January I think.

I fear for my mom and uncle, as they both have compromised immune systems and with how trivial some people are playing this disease off right now I fear for my family even more.

I live in Wisconsin. No serious outbreaks here to my knowledge, but my good friend, I guess you could call him my boyfriend, in Ohio? Ohio has supposedly somewhere over 100,000 known cases and he hasn't been responding to my texts since the 17th of February. Let's just say I'm worried about this virus.
#24  March 14, 2020, 01:45:12 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I totally believe you. The measures taken by the goverment(declaring state of alarm) is what needed in a situation like this(even I disagree with the Deadly Alliance. And I'm not a trifachito voter). Hopefully we don't get to the other scenarios of exception and site. My work is directly with catalans(spanish or catalan speakers) and both shares that hysteria in common. For example, the malls I work for opened today(Friday) in Catalonia, but not from tomorrow(they're closed in Euskadi and Madrid, for example). Luckily, we're keeping open the food trucks for those clients who need it(even we're overloaded of work). So, as my workmate gave positive, all my floor is destined to home up to new advice.

Also, about the company which asks for permission, there's another one here in Madrid(and I totally FLIPÉ) offers 4000€ for people to get infected with the virus and use them as Guinea Pigs. CRAZY as fuck. I hope that's just a hoax, fake or else because it's not fucking funny.

And about the media, just think about our TV channels...They spread that hysteria about the COVID19 with less infected and deaths against to, for example, hepatitis C, HIV...and I'm not watching a fucking campaign of conscience for safe sex in the TV(oh, because now PreP is on! let's do stupid things).

I swear there was something cool here!!
#25  March 14, 2020, 02:04:00 am
  • Future Funk Punk
    • Canada
Canada here,

My university is closed for about 3 days next week and everything is being moved online right before exams.

Fantastic.
#26  March 15, 2020, 01:41:57 pm
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
Reporting live, from Michigan.

I live in a small city right across the famous "8 mile road" called Warren, and my workplace where I am a Security Supervisor was informed yesterday by Michigan Law that there will be NO VISITORS at our hospitals. All Michigan schools are closed for a month, colleges are switching to online classes, and everyone is buying massive heaps of toilet paper here.

Overreacting? A LOT. I just say people need to practice better hygiene; brush your teeth, wash your face, wash your ass, and don't choke your chicken, play in your cooterbox and poke in your own ass before you shake hands or give out hugs.
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#27  March 15, 2020, 01:58:58 pm
  • Skateboard Game Enthusiast
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
    • joeythetricky.wixsite.com/mugen
New York. School shutting down for a whole month, despite there being no confirmed cases where I live. Thanks to Cuomo, the year won't get extended into the summer.

I go to two schools during the day (one for Computer Tech classes, another for regular classes), but only one of them from what I could piece together actually could work well as an online class, since it's what we use even at school.

My dad goes grocery shopping. Paper towels, frozen food products, milk, butter, all cleared out. It's a damn joke.

But hey, at least this gives me enough time to work more on my MUGEN projects lol
#28  March 15, 2020, 07:38:09 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
Reporting from the UK.

Supermarkets are near empty. Toilet paper, pasta, tinned food etc. All gone. But hey, at least the Easter Eggs are out.

No schools shut yet. Reason being is uhhh

I'm super worried for my mum. She's already unwell enough.

Also, someone stole the handwash from my workplace that we put up for visitors to wash their hands lmao.
#29  March 15, 2020, 08:00:23 pm
    • Canada
Canada here.

I just moved to BC from Alberta, and sure enough we're amongst the top 2 provinces with the most cases in the country... in Vancouver, select schools and businesses have been shut down (someone tested positive at a university) and of course we got dummies buying up toilet paper too, even back home.

With that said, overall I think most people here are generally handling it well.
#30  March 15, 2020, 11:10:55 pm
  • Five Dynasties of Water
    • Mexico
    • Skype - alchemistofatlas
Mexico City resident.

Overall the country has had over 40+ confirmed cases, but they're now taking measures: Schools are going to be closed after the 20th of this month until April 20, which coincides with the easter vacations. Since I work as a teacher that means I more likely than not will have no work for 5 weeks. Do note those who have died are people around 75+ years old. COVID is to take into account, but it's nowhere as lethal as other viruses mankind has dealt with before.

There's also the problem of panic buying.
PotS said:
That they don't just restrict themselves to my style.

Fact.
#31  March 16, 2020, 01:23:24 am
Do note those who have died are people around 75+ years old. COVID is to take into account, but it's nowhere as lethal as other viruses mankind has dealt with before.
The problem is that hospitals soon get submerged and do not have enough equipment to accommodate everyone and they end up refusing anyone who's not in a critical condition (regardless of the sickness or physical condition) and the doctors end up picking those who have a better chance of survival and just watch the others die right in front of them. Oh, you've got cancer ? You'll have to wait a couple months because this is really not a good time to flush your immune system down the toilets. Broken arm ? Sit it out.
That's what this virus is bringing to you, this is not one puny virus that's only targeting the weak so why should we care, this is the whole system that doesn't have enough equipment to accommodate everyone and anything at the same time. Not enough spots in the ICU, not enough mechanical ventilators for everyone. This is not the flu because the flu doesn't need all that to save you once you catch it and you're a person at risk. That's why Italy is clocking up a hundred deaths per day. That's coming to Spain, and French hospitals are already seeing it coming from a distance.
Every country is becoming a war zone / third world country hospital that simply doesn't have what it needs to handle all the sick and the wounded.
Take it seriously and don't spread it to the people at risk that are going to destroy your hospitals.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:43:05 am by Byakko
#32  March 16, 2020, 02:26:11 am
  • No guts No glory..
honduras, central america....actually i didn't use to go to places where people gatters, switched from real time classrooms to virtual classrooms,,,soo working at home from now until this global crisis pass...

#33  March 16, 2020, 03:45:55 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico

Also, people don't udnerstand scale, this is very contagious; the worse stimates, as in, nobody takes care of their comunity means that 70%+ gets infected, with a  5% death rate, that's pretty awful,,that means that if america slips, for example, 200 million will get sick and 10 million people will die, this year.
I prefer the super apocaliptic guys (whom would be normally the most annoying in this situation) over the "idgaf, influenza and ebola kill more people" idiots.
#34  March 16, 2020, 04:20:00 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 I think it's less they don't give a damn and more that overreaction causes more harm than good. People cramming stores in a race to stockpile goods has massive repercussions and isn't nearly as wise a strategy as it seems on the surface; you create a breeding grounds for disease to spread more easily (you can't say cramming indoor areas is not a health hazard... it absolutely is), you're not leaving anything else for others (every man for themselves in play here) and massive economic backlash in the aftermath of the epidemic. Not to mention, in a realistic apocalyptic scenario, stockpilers are going to be painted as the biggest target for raids. I think less panicking and more actual helping out should be priority, because the former is really selfish when you think about it. I'm currently working with the local Catholic church I go to every now and then just to do that even if it's only 2 hours a week and I say this as an atheist instead of selfishly stockpiling (ironically, no reports of the disease have entered my town yet).

We need more of THIS: https://twitter.com/dairyorange/status/1238965825182236672?s=09

And less of this: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/519393657900630016/688858479770861721/Screenshot_20200315-052405.png

Next time, don't assume people don't actually give a damn so much as us being frustrated at irrational harm that fear-mongering has lead to. It's ignorant and demeaning.
#35  March 16, 2020, 05:06:55 pm
So, the director of the Sorbonne epidemiology center in Paris is sending letters explaining that the belief that only old and weakened people are at severe risks is... false. Urgency centers do have young people, young adults as well as children, in severe condition. Not as many deaths in those age groups, but still requiring intensive care. Hospitals in Eastern France are already getting hit hard.
Keep an eye out for more accurate official information.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#36  March 16, 2020, 05:20:06 pm
    • Zimbabwe
    • hephaistos1.wix.com/mugen-palace
Older people dies right now because they are more weak than everyone else, but yes indeed everyone can be infected.
We will have mutation, Byakko. RNA viruses have high mutations rates, because it does not involve DNA pol enzyme that is able to correct mistakes from retrotranscriptions (the biologist is speaking here xD).
So basically what I personally fear is that all the stupid people acting like retards are in fact new chances for the virus to roll the dice and get a new mutation that will increase his dangerosity. Of course everything is random, so it could happen or... not.

So for me, the situation of governments planning to more or less infect 70% of populations but delayed in time is stupid. This is just for economical reasons first, second nothing shows that the number of beds in hospital will be enough (we only have 2000 in belgium for example...), and third it does NOT take into consideration this mutation issue. AT ALL.
Stay at home, if possible do not go to work. Get food for 2 weeks.
Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:43:33 pm by Hephaistos31
#37  March 17, 2020, 12:28:29 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Reporting from Chile. Here, the hysteria takes all and most of the people are overselling the fear. Most of the cases come from the high-class who travelled to Asia and Europe who got the virus here, but since the Chilean press is so tabloid (and with 0 credibility since the 2019 protests) and the govenment is so useless and stupid, the panic got most of the country and now the classes are suspended in the whole country and in some works too. the rate is low until now (156 until today, almost all in peripheral counties where the high-class people lives), but we're the in second place in latin America after brazil.

But also, probably we're in the first place in the world for the memes about this (since the bat soup thing to the mofos who bought all hygienic supplies for themselves or to resell), so we could die here, but hey, at least we had some laughs, right?

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#38  March 17, 2020, 05:03:06 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
My country goes into full state of emergency/martial law in just two hours.
#39  March 17, 2020, 10:51:43 am
  • all is love in fair and war
east java indonesia, I'm doing like what I usually do, drawing comic commission at my desk at home by myself, today I have some avocado ice cream that's probably the only highlight of the day.

yeah seems like school are dismissed, business are closed for a week or two, I heard some of the more popular supermarket was cleaned out by panic hoax mongering housewives, I don't know if there is any positive case here since my town doesn't have direct access abroad

I am made of 50% instant noodle and 50% caffeine (have plenty stock of both to survive nuclear winter), didn't even remember when was the last time I contracted common cold, not even mosquitoes desperate enough to suck my blood, I bet the virus would find better host elsewhere.

I would have been more worried if my grandma is still alive.
#40  March 17, 2020, 12:18:56 pm
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
Went food shopping today and it was pretty intense. No coffee, no flour, no rice, no TP (not that I needed any of this). Supermarket was packed like it was Christmas. Got some moist towelettes and disinfectant for any visitors coming in because my house is generally open to family and I could have around a dozen people coming and going during a week.

NZ confirmed count is up to 11.