YesNoOk

The Nintendo News Thread (Read 1515537 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, June 07, 2011, 09:14:28 pm
Share this topic:
Re: The Nintendo News Thread
#4981  September 10, 2020, 10:10:00 pm
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
The 3DS is DEAD!!!!
#4982  September 18, 2020, 02:30:06 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Nintendo officially ends production of all 3DS models.

With the Switch being a hybrid console/handheld, there's no reason to expect a new dedicated handheld to be announced any time soon.  So unless their next gen console ditches the dual aspect, this could very well be the end of Nintendo's handheld gaming legacy.
#4983  September 18, 2020, 03:02:55 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
...this could very well be the end of Nintendo's handheld gaming legacy.

While I get what point you're trying to make, the fact that Switch is still technically a handheld, as much a it is a home console, keeps the handheld gaming legacy alive. It's just the natural evolution of the consoles though.

They started at home... then went to your hands... and now, they're both.
#4984  September 18, 2020, 03:35:17 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Other way around, Nintendo released the Game & Watch before the NES, and some of the dna of those cheap lcd handhelds is definitely present in their modern works.

The mobile/topset duality is by far the smartest idea Nintendo has had in decades, it would be unfathomably stupid of Nintendo to ditch it when they come up with a successor to the Switch.
#4985  September 18, 2020, 03:48:29 am
    • USA
Other way around, Nintendo released the Game & Watch before the NES, and some of the dna of those cheap lcd handhelds is definitely present in their modern works.

The mobile/topset duality is by far the smartest idea Nintendo has had in decades, it would be unfathomably stupid of Nintendo to ditch it when they come up with a successor to the Switch.

Oh right, Game & Watch happened first. My bad haha.

But yeah, agreed -- they've reached the ultimate balance and the Switch is gonna last for a long time until Nintendo somehow comes up with a brilliant way to top it.
#4986  September 18, 2020, 05:54:29 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII

Oh right, Game & Watch happened first. My bad haha.

But yeah, agreed -- they've reached the ultimate balance and the Switch is gonna last for a long time until Nintendo somehow comes up with a brilliant way to top it.

Or a stupid way to ruin it, like they've done before.
#4987  September 18, 2020, 05:58:48 am
    • USA
#4988  September 18, 2020, 06:58:06 am
  • Video Game Veteran
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
Kind of sad TBH... Remember when the 3DS was over hyped, and how good the 3D was in the games? Too bad they stopped working on 3D games.... I guess it was too ahead of its time. :(

#4989  September 24, 2020, 03:34:43 am
    • Argentina
:v Super Kirby Bros Ultimate (ok no xD)
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#4990  September 24, 2020, 05:55:05 am
  • Video Game Veteran
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
Yet, that game was leaked about a day early on the site somehow.

#4991  September 26, 2020, 01:09:42 pm
Reminder, livestream in 2h for HW:AoC.
It's on

Different characters have a their own action(s ?) with the Sheikah Slate, Zelda has statis, Link has remote bomb
Demo of soldier Link fighting bokoblins on the field, has shield surf as an attack (he uses it to move around quickly like when you're calling your horse), can jump then pull the bow and quickly shoot in slow time, also pulls bow while standing on the ground. So unlike the usual Musou, when you're standing there, you have more options than just "start a basic combo and deal a combo finisher", you can go straight to unique moves (bow, shield surf...). Even with his regular sword, he can charge up the blue light enhance for a big swing.
Weak point, smash with a big attack, dodge - rush...
You still get items like meat and rocks when you open chests that fall off a boss

Cutscene, Link finds the small white guardian, seems broken. Impa shows up chased by Bokoblins, she loses the Sheikah slate, the slate lights up, the mini guardian also lights up, a shrine with a tower just pops out.
Mission against bokoblins around the tower, Impa is next to you fighting with a knife, mini guardian runs around. Link pulls an ice platform to launch himself and do an air bow attack. The bombs easily clears out a big bokoblin's weak point gauge, but it doesn't smash him, you still have to run at him and do it yourself. Bombs make trees fall off. We're in a fountain square, a bunch of wooden houses all around and western-style chariots.

Switching to Impa. Knife slashes, Yiga-like teleports, shadow doubles follow you and imitate your big wide slashes (and when she does a fast multi slash attack, the screen fills up with cuts) ; wizrobe boss, Impa does a super where all the shadow doubles around the boss pinpoint dash at him at once.
(Impa looks like a clumsy damsel tripping on her feet when chased in the cutscene, but then when you play her she cuts the entire screen to shreds...)
Hm, she has a kunai but also a short single edge sword that kinda reminds me of the warabite sword, the short sword of the Emishi people that were treated as Northern barbarians against the early Yamato state. Together with the Jomon pottery inspiring the Guardian designs, it's pretty nice.

I'm not sure if I missed something, but it kinda feels like the mini guardian is the equivalent of Navi, following you around, and may even be the reason you have access to the Sheikah slate ? So it might not be playable on its own.

New trailer. Mipha, Daruk (also uses stasis), Urbosa, Revali does a souped up Gale that launches everyone then he fires a fire arrow at the center and the gale blows up, etc.

Having a botw save data gives you Link's wooden sword & shield. sometimes it can auto-guard so it's nice for beginners (to make it easier for Zelda players to transition into the Musou series). Download version has a pot lid + ladle for Link.
Treasure box goods are acrylic art, mini guardian metal charm, parasail blanket.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 07:30:54 pm by Byakko
#4992  September 26, 2020, 04:09:17 pm
    • USA
New trailer for the Champions' gameplay.

#4993  September 27, 2020, 11:55:39 pm
Rewatching the archived stream (same link above starting at 1:12), I see that the running basic attack can continue into the basic combo (replacing the first basic attack). Also, I see Link guard with his shield and then do a shield bash. Love having more options than just "mash one button and then pick a finisher".
L+button gives you items, R+ button gives you the slate action(s) and maybe other extra attacks. Looks like you'll be able to assign two extra actions later to the two remaining buttons for Link (or the last two actions aren't unlocked yet). ZR is called character action, Link's is the bow.
It says that a big charging enemy can be countered with the ice pillar, they'll smash against it and stun themselves. You get visual hints when an enemy is vulnerable to a bomb or ice.
Link's unique action is the bow, Impa's is a talisman that creates her body doubles, make that 3 times and you get a super attack.
Beating the wizrobe gives Impa the fire rod as an item (L+Y), but they say that's all they'll show.

Since the mustard pot guardian is maybe not going to be playable after all but just acts as support following Link, I was think about the Akalla citadel battle, where everyone dies. The champions are already dead and Zelda is on her way to seal Ganon, so who's going to be playable there ? I as wondering if Link's father, who is also a knight and whose design we've seen in artwork, could be playable as a heavy sword user, since he's a big guy.

TGS is showing 20 more minutes of gameplay, videos going around. Link is wearing his helmet.
Everyone can get all the slate runes, but they use it differently.
Link uses magnesis to point in front of him, everything metal agglutinates (including enemy weapons and shields), and he swipes everything with the metal mass. Impa's magnesis points up, things agglutinate above her head like a staff, then she swings it all around and slams it down in front. Link's bomb throws volleys of small bomb, Daruk's bomb is a single giant bomb, it explodes into a few small bombs that scatter and explode again. Impa uses stasis then slashes multiple times to build up kinetic energy then everything goes flying. She uses cryosis and sits on the ice block to ride it forward.
For Daruk's unique action, his regular attacks can scatter rocks of various size, the unique action will turn those rocks into magma, then use it again to make the magma explode.
Link can use a spear as his main weapon. He swings it like a good little Zhao Yun. His full bar special is just pure Zhao Yun.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 12:25:08 am by Byakko
#4994  October 03, 2020, 02:47:59 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
old news, but none of you fuckos said anythign about it (probabbly because no one besides me cares)
#4995  October 03, 2020, 04:02:32 am
  • 仮面ライダーグランドジオウ
  • The Scavenging Time and Space God
    • USA
old news, but none of you fuckos said anythign about it (probabbly because no one besides me cares)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MWVXLFJ9Os[/youtube]

I mean you do have the Postal Guy, so that's not much of a surprise to me.
#4996  October 06, 2020, 11:43:17 pm
    • USA
New teaser for Hyrule Warriors.

Shows off young Purah and Robbie as part of the story. 
#4997  October 07, 2020, 07:14:49 pm
Impa blushing of embarrassment when Purah comes up. (edit - oh wait, no, seems it's just her regular make-up she has everywhere else...) Pretty sure Robbie will be playable, can't tell with Purah.
Nintendo Treehouse streaming right now on the Nintendo channel, about to stream more Zelda. Wow, when have we ever had so much new content streamed within a few weeks for an upcoming game ? They're showing Pikmin right now but the chat is spamming for Zelda lol

Urbosa has a lightning charge bar.
Koroks are in.
Zelda has multiple uses of the runes as her basic and strong attacks, on top of the R+button attacks. .... Her Musou attack... takes a picture. What.
World map acts as the main menu, there are sidequests, and you can go to a blacksmith or a chef to use the food items to make dishes. You have the same equipment pieces as the original (Zora tunic helmet, armor pants, flamebreaker chest etc.) There's a training spot to learn new combos. Two-handed "sword" style (big hammer) demo.
Impa's weak point smash summons a huge frog lol, classic ninja stuff
Done. Wow, an hour of Pikmin and 30 minutes of Zelda, what a tease.

edit on rewatch :
An item drop during the Yiga battle is called ancient memory part. The icon is the Sheikah slate, so you can collect parts to unlock memory scenes... from the slate, I assume ?
in the Gerudo battle, when they pause, we see a map of the area and a boss icon with the text "defeat master Kohga". So he's there, he's a boss, and he's probably going to be playable. That or his predecessor has the same name, but that's still a likely playable character.
I saw that the first time, but the "saving" icon is the Master Sword from the "Calamity of 10 000 years ago" tapestry.

And here's Kohga.

Also, a very sus person in a hood and a malice eye-like forehead decoration, braids, a lot of eyeliner, and a Gerudo symbol on his cape, hanging with Yiga people. Seems male, so why's he wearing a Gerudo symbol.
Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 07:48:31 pm by Byakko
#4998  October 13, 2020, 07:48:43 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen

Kohga is the same but there is another Yiga commander and a new character with the Gerudo emblem on his robes
#4999  October 14, 2020, 02:57:21 am
    • USA
The color scheme, cloak, and golden headband thing are giving off some Vaati vibes.
#5000  October 14, 2020, 03:32:57 am
A Vaati / wind mage inspiration would be awesome but I'm not remotely expecting any connection (even though he wasn't destroyed in the downfall timeline, just sealed). I got Yuga, Agahnim vibes myself (not saying there's a relation to either of them of course).
He (?) seems to be holding a corrupted ancient core, so probably the one bringing Ganon the mean to take over the Guardians (and that can be worked into a movelist too). Most of the fandom is already expecting him to be the fortune teller that predicted the return of Ganon and the presence of the Guardians, which was actually a bad thing if he also brought Ganon the means to corrupt them.
As for villain characters, all we need is a master of monsters now, someone responsible for the uptick in monster attacks. Not like Volga though, I didn't actually like that he was presented as that in HW, it really didn't fit his design / style.