YesNoOk

Anyone remember the Mugen Motherland and Genesis forums? (Read 15487 times)

Started by T_DR, October 09, 2020, 04:12:11 am
Share this topic:
Anyone remember the Mugen Motherland and Genesis forums?
#1  October 09, 2020, 04:12:11 am
  • Every journey has it's final day, don't rush.
    • USA
I just recently signed up for the MFG Forums due to the fact that I rekindled my interest in MUGEN once again after a long, 8 year hiatus. I am posting this because I was hoping to see familiar faces in this forum that used to be in the MUGEN Motherland and Genesis forum by Prinz and GF respectively.
In case your wondering who I am, I was MVCFighter back on those forums and I remember when MUGEN teams were a thing as well as some people had teams where they used those characters for AI (Remember the LOL AI Joke?) And yup, I was guilty for that as well. *sigh* those were the days. Since I've decided to start my MUGEN career all over again, I want to start fresh as well as I hold no ill will to anyone who's done flame wars in the past. And one things for sure that I will not be doing Mugen teams anymore since I want to boarden my horizons by using different characters that are not on a "team" and let's be real, there's that feeling where I feel "limited" on who I want to use on my Mugen roster. So yep! I am glad to be back and I feel everyone will get along here! :)

*Edit* If you are wondering who it is, it's me, MVCFighter/MVCFighter88 if you remember me from those forums and on Youtube. ;)
Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 11:03:43 pm by T_DR
Re: Anyone remember the Mugen Motherland and Genesis forums?
#2  October 10, 2020, 07:36:58 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
A lot of things have happened in 8 years. For starters many of those guys are no longer around.
#3  October 10, 2020, 08:03:52 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
There's things I've posted on GF's forum that I don't look back on happily.

That butthurt thread was probably one of the worst threads I ever made.
#4  October 11, 2020, 03:25:28 am
    • USA
A lot of things have happened in 8 years. For starters many of those guys are no longer around.

Understandable, since they either want to focus on other things in life or they have new interests.

Also, I remember you Darkflare. It's really cool that you're still around. :)
#5  October 11, 2020, 03:27:25 am
    • USA
There's things I've posted on GF's forum that I don't look back on happily.

That butthurt thread was probably one of the worst threads I ever made.

I remember a few of the stuff posted on the Motherland forums. I did regret a few posts that I made in the past. I also remember back when Mugen teams were a thing, I had a huge team with a bunch of random characters. xD
#6  October 19, 2020, 12:38:24 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
I don't have many fond memories of MML/MG. The Mugen teams thing was pretty fun, but I remember a lot of gatekeeping and overall negativity on both those forums.

I also just don't like who I was at that time. I was kind of a petty jerk who always felt the need to throw shade just to spite certain people, and I would always put my own happiness aside to please people who probably didn't care at all about me.
#7  October 21, 2020, 09:14:59 am
    • USA
I don't have many fond memories of MML/MG. The Mugen teams thing was pretty fun, but I remember a lot of gatekeeping and overall negativity on both those forums.

I also just don't like who I was at that time. I was kind of a petty jerk who always felt the need to throw shade just to spite certain people, and I would always put my own happiness aside to please people who probably didn't care at all about me.

Heh, I do remember we all had Mugen teams back in the day and I'm surprised they still exist in this day and age. I'm not ashamed to admit that my really old Mugen team was just a bunch of random characters and I gotta confess that I used most of them for AI only. If Mugen teams were relevent just like the old days, then I will maybe consider it as there are a couple of characters that I enjoy using in both Mugen and their source games. Heck, there is an upcoming AI tournament in this forum (It does bring back memories does it) as well as NICK54222's tournament is still going on right now.

As for your second paragraph. I also gotta admit that I was a big try hard of being the "goody two shoes" back then as I would always call out others that I didn't like and would try to tell em to stop. As I said before, I hold no ill will towards anyone and I forgive everyone who I believed had an "Elitest jerk attitude" back then. As I just made my comeback to Mugen after an 8 year absence, I decided to start fresh. And no worries, we all change for the better. ;)
#8  October 22, 2020, 01:18:23 pm
    • Philippines
Motherland and Genesis, huh? Ah, those were the days. I actually still operate on that team thing up to this day, though I don't join tournaments anymore.

I mostly spent time in the Motherland. I honestly didn't like most of the guys over at Genesis.
#9  October 22, 2020, 10:35:12 pm
    • USA
I rekindled my interest in MUGEN once again after a long, 8 year hiatus. I am posting this because I was hoping to see familiar faces in this forum that used to be in the MUGEN Motherland and Genesis forum by Prinz and GF respectively.

Welcome back dude. I was literally gone for 8 or 9 years too. From 2010/2011 to mid 2019 I randomly came back. No one knew who I was besides kamekaze and TempesT lol and a couple other fossils who are still around. A lot has changed around here. Who and what do you remember from back then?
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#10  October 22, 2020, 10:59:24 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 Never actually went to either of the two, but as a person who lurked across various MUGEN communities on and off for over 12 years, I naturally lurked at least one of those forums; that one being Genesis. I didn't like it at all, reeked of blatant circle jerking and, as previously mentioned, gatekeeping that only exasperates the previous problem.  Genesis was definitely a facet of old MUGEN elitism running rampant.

I think it's one of those communities best left to die in the sands of history and I am sure GF202020 himself would prefer to keep it that way too.
#11  October 23, 2020, 12:53:30 am
    • USA
The Guild has its own set of issues too, but I basically grew up in this place and have seen it change a lot throughout the years. Some good, some bad, but overall this place is probably one of the best around right now. I never heard of Genesis or the other place. If anything, I think TrinityMugen is one of the best places to go but the forums is no longer supported.
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#12  October 24, 2020, 01:54:28 am
    • Canada
Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 02:02:48 am by ShiroTori
#13  October 24, 2020, 03:03:11 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
I'd like to think that those of us still around from that time have since grown up at least somewhat
#14  October 24, 2020, 05:40:36 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
I remember those sites, just not that well.

I also remember the whole MUGEN team thing... It was fun while it lasted. I mean, it was good that I tried to make a gimmick out of it and trying different characters.

Now, it's more of a ceremonial thing. Every once in a while I'll see someone out there doing that, but it has more or less died off.
#15  October 25, 2020, 08:54:42 pm
    • USA
Motherland and Genesis, huh? Ah, those were the days. I actually still operate on that team thing up to this day, though I don't join tournaments anymore.

I mostly spent time in the Motherland. I honestly didn't like most of the guys over at Genesis.

Those were the days indeed. I'm actually "eh" on participating Mugen AI team tournaments and whatever floats anyone's boat, I won't knock anyone that does participate in em.

I mainly spent my time on the Motherland forums as well as I did actually briefly spent some time on the Genesis forums and let's just say that my experience on the Genesis forums was a nightmare for me.
#16  October 25, 2020, 09:26:03 pm
    • USA
I rekindled my interest in MUGEN once again after a long, 8 year hiatus. I am posting this because I was hoping to see familiar faces in this forum that used to be in the MUGEN Motherland and Genesis forum by Prinz and GF respectively.

Welcome back dude. I was literally gone for 8 or 9 years too. From 2010/2011 to mid 2019 I randomly came back. No one knew who I was besides kamekaze and TempesT lol and a couple other fossils who are still around. A lot has changed around here. Who and what do you remember from back then?

Thank you for the welcome back greeting! :)

Just like you, I also just came back to Mugen recently about two weeks ago mainly out of boredom and I was binge watching old Mugen videos from past and/or retired Mugen players. I'm proud to say that Mugen is fun for me again thanks to an impressive amount of new content from the new generation of Mugen authors, programmers, and content creators.

From what I remember back then, I was only a teenager (13-17 years old) when Mugen teams were in it's prime in I believe in 2006-2010 as well as Youtube was a still pretty new. I was a pretty naive kid who thought that "Mugen teams look so cool, that I want to start one as well as my own Youtube channel". Also keep in mind that as I was only a teenager back then, my soruces were rather limited so I only had a Windows XP PC and a Keyboard to play Mugen. I finally took the plunge in around March 2008 with my original alias was being MVCFighter88. During the early days of Mugen teams we all have to admit that we mainly added characters who look cool or not 100% acurate to their source games. Heck, I remember when so many people (me included) had either Peter Griffin, Homer Simpson, and/or Super Mario on their teams. xD I then discovered Mugen Motherland around the end of 2008 as I was searching for other Mugen players who had Mugen teams. During the early days of the Motherland forums, as I said before, we all had "imperfect" teams. Around 2009, thats when many Mugen players started to turn into accuracy freaks in terms of not only how the character plays like in their source games, how good the AI is, but in their skill department as well. In both the Motherland and Genesis forums, If you basically have a character(s) in your team just for AI, many people will shame you for it. I'm sure many of us remember the "LOL AI" phrase. When I signed up for the Genesis forums, let's just say that I didn't last long as If I remember correctly, my first post was my Mugen team and I did not get a warm welcome there. Although I have to say that it was my fault for having most characters on my team for AI only as well as I was provinding Warehouse links to my characters. Thus, I haven't gone back since. Fast forward to 2011-2012, I did briefly come back to Mugen as I was posting a lot of Strider Hiryu matches against various characters. My final Mugen video prior to my first retirement was Yashoah from Asura Blade Vs Sentinel. Fast forward to 2020, My comeback video was me using Nash against POTS Shin Gouki.

So yep, It does feel good to be back after almost a decade indeed. Mugen may have it's ups and downs, but as long as there is a stable community, Mugen will never die.

#17  October 25, 2020, 09:33:05 pm
    • USA
Never actually went to either of the two, but as a person who lurked across various MUGEN communities on and off for over 12 years, I naturally lurked at least one of those forums; that one being Genesis. I didn't like it at all, reeked of blatant circle jerking and, as previously mentioned, gatekeeping that only exasperates the previous problem.  Genesis was definitely a facet of old MUGEN elitism running rampant.

I think it's one of those communities best left to die in the sands of history and I am sure GF202020 himself would prefer to keep it that way too.

Just being a lurker on both forums was a smart thing to do. Motherland may have it's problems, but Genesis as I said, was a nightmare. GF202020 closing the Genesis forums as with Prinz closing the Motherland forums, was for the best. I believe that people who had an elitist attitude in both forums (Me included) have changed for the better and I am confidant that we all have matured.
#18  October 25, 2020, 09:41:26 pm
    • USA
I remember those sites, just not that well.

I also remember the whole MUGEN team thing... It was fun while it lasted. I mean, it was good that I tried to make a gimmick out of it and trying different characters.

Now, it's more of a ceremonial thing. Every once in a while I'll see someone out there doing that, but it has more or less died off.

Mugen teams were indeed fun while it lasted. What I think of them now it's kinda cool that they still exist, but I believe that it's better to mix things up and try playing different characters outside of ones on a team. That alone gave Mugen more replayability for me as I don't have to be stuck of using the same characters. Yes, the characters you will see me play often are Nash, Colossus, Rise Kujikawa, Morrigan, and Cyber Smoke as they are my mains at the moment in both Mugen and their source games. I did consider making them an actual team at one point but I was like "nah!" as I will play different characters outside of my main five as there are so many other Mugen characters that are fun to play as well!
#19  October 25, 2020, 10:22:17 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
I remember Genesis. Honestly nowadays I'm kinda ashamed of my time there.
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#20  October 26, 2020, 12:34:16 am
    • Canada
I'd like to think that those of us still around from that time have since grown up at least somewhat

I think you're right. Things may not be perfect, but I think the people who have stuck around since then have definitely matured and mellowed out.