YesNoOk

Does this site has any rule against Youtube and social media links. (Read 87451 times)

Started by orochi_kyo, January 18, 2021, 02:03:27 am
Share this topic:
Re: Does this site has any rule against Youtube and social media links.
#21  January 21, 2021, 05:11:30 am
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
No one said he couldn’t link to youtube. What he wants is for mods to delete direct links.

It’s easy to understand the problem with that.

Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:15:20 am by inktrebuchet
#22  January 21, 2021, 05:32:21 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
lmao at the battleborn guy salty that nobody cared about battleborn

re:  the actual topic, i can understand why you want to force views on your youtube channel, but that doesn't mean we have to give them to you
#23  January 21, 2021, 05:03:05 pm
  • SNK is life
OK, please hear me out:

- Back in the early 2000s we were supposed to post the Author's website, where the download link could be found. Authors would have VISIT COUNTERS (clout?) and these days they even have PATREON and PAYPAL Links. How is this "Visit my Youtube channel!" any different?

- I spoke privately with Orochi_Kyo. He's porting and heavily adapting Iron Mugen's Art of Fury to IKEMEN on an official level. He's the one publishing updates in Iron Mugen's own Art Of Fury Facebook Page. He explained to me, and in the opening post in this thread, that his channel isn't monetized to his advantage.

This is Youtube I'm talking about, not adfly or any other source of links to get revenue, my channel is very small and followed by just 120 persons, so not Youtube partner program and if there are any ads on my videos is part of the new Youtube policy of monetizing the platform all they want.

So I see a parallel of him wanting people to visit a place where he can keep track of his engagement, just like the old timey visit counters. In both cases it's just the Author's preference, and even back then we wouldn't EXTRACT the direct file download link from their website and post it here, as that would be considered disrespectful.

Orochi_Kyo made a great point in private as well - Sometime people making Youtube videos exclusively (not creating) are getting more traffic making videos about creations than the actual MUGEN content creators, and some of them are even actually monetizing their channels. How come they can get notoriety and traffic, but not the actual creators.

Times have changed. Maybe the forum's policy should be reviewed to get with the times.
#24  January 21, 2021, 06:03:24 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
I had the same conversation with him. The thing is..
No one said he couldn’t link to youtube. What he wants is for mods to delete direct links.

It’s easy to understand the problem with that.

I think this whole thing is just an over reaction.

Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:14:10 pm by inktrebuchet
#25  January 21, 2021, 06:45:38 pm
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
Honestly that’s a pretty fair point — the only reason I sort of got on his case about it was cause I’ve seen it get shut down before with other people who haven’t provided direct links, regardless of their intent. The first time I just offered a direct post with his link but yeah, that’s when things spiraled.

So while I can respect the idea of a creator getting more notoriety through respectable means, I still kinda blame him for this getting blown out of proportion. All I can say now is best of luck to his endeavors and hopefully the idea of support like that does get reviewed cause it is an interesting topic to think about.
#26  January 21, 2021, 08:11:19 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
As I said in my last post, if you post both the link and the video, people who are really interested will watch it. You're promoting your video without forcing views. In resume, people should click the video because they want, not because they are forced.
#27  January 22, 2021, 02:06:51 am
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
Back in the early 2000s we were supposed to post the Author's website, where the download link could be found. Authors would have VISIT COUNTERS (clout?) and these days they even have PATREON and PAYPAL Links. How is this "Visit my Youtube channel!" any different?

Because cheezy JS view counters don't have a suggested videos algorithm nor potential monetary gain tided it unlike views on YT. Even if they did I doesn't have as much impact as YT.

Times have changed. Maybe the forum's policy should be reviewed to get with the times.

so you're saying we should

Spoiler: Getting with the times clearly (click to see content)

if anything there should be an update to policy that goes something along the lines of

"Any post under Your Releases 1.0+, Your releases Older Mugen, MFG Public Library, and Beyond Mugen that pertains to a release must not go through a YouTube or equivalent service in order to download the file. It must be as direct as possible"
#28  January 22, 2021, 04:16:40 am
  • SNK is life

• Behaviour doesn't rub off
  • Sell M.U.G.E.N
  • Talk about warez
  • Lie, be dishonest, and present speculation and conjecture
  • Handle unexperienced without special patience. Ban them on sight, I'm sure that won't have any lasting impact :dizzy2:
  • If you find it difficult to stay calm after reading the same question for the fifth time in a week, get triggered as hell.
  • Use as much data as you want with your profile and signature, everyone has data to load your 5gb gif signature no problem
  • Any form of NSFW material is allowed no matter how illegal it is, no tags required
  • Shock images everywhere
  • All nudity in profiles and links
  • Request everything in unrelated threads
  • Necro bump every thread no matter how old
  • Write off people as worthless beings
  • Being honest and nice are mutually exclusive concepts
  • This isn't a discussion forum. Bootlicking is the only form input
  • Ad referral all day every day
  • Use hate speech an symbols everywhere
  • Don't post responsibly, treat other people like shit

#29  January 22, 2021, 04:49:10 am
  • Working on MUGEN characters, 24/7.
    • Australia
I think there's an important question that needs to be asked. Is there really a difference between linking to a website that hosts the character or contains the link to them and linking to a YouTube video that has the character link in the description?

Regardless of the case, you are forced to go through a third party website to get the creation in question, and you are giving the site views and spending more bandwidth than needed by doing so. Yet you don't see people posting the direct link to a character in a release thread in the case of the former, and I would imagine any attempts to do so would be met with public ridicule (as it should be).

Why shouldn't that etiquette be extended to the latter as well? Unless something like ad.fly is involved, I personally don't see a problem with it.
Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 04:54:03 am by Sir Ghostler
#30  January 22, 2021, 05:02:51 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Is there really a difference between linking to a website that hosts the character or contains the link to them and linking to a YouTube video that has the character link in the description?

Yes, it's one extra click and people are lazy!

I'm joking ofc. Anyway, it's still forcing views in my opinion. It's like those pages on fb or any other social media that forces you to share their post or like their page in order to access something else. Why do I need to click the video and THEN click the download link, giving the video one extra view count if I could just go direct to the download link? Idk, seems wrong to me.
#31  January 22, 2021, 05:06:30 am
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
OK, please hear me out:

- Back in the early 2000s we were supposed to post the Author's website, where the download link could be found. Authors would have VISIT COUNTERS (clout?) and these days they even have PATREON and PAYPAL Links. How is this "Visit my Youtube channel!" any different?

I agree with this position.

YouTube is now a modern equivalent of a blog for many people. It should be treated like a regular website. Youtube is free and the information posted in it will never go down, unlike privately hosted websites.
#32  January 22, 2021, 05:09:15 am
  • Working on MUGEN characters, 24/7.
    • Australia
I'm joking ofc. Anyway, it's still forcing views in my opinion. It's like those pages on fb or any other social media that forces you to share their post or like their page in order to access something else. Why do I need to click the video and THEN click the download link, giving the video one extra view count if I could just go direct to the download link? Idk, seems wrong to me.

But you're forced to give a view regardless of the case, all that changes is where the view actually goes. This same logic can be applied to the case of the creator having a website.

"Why should you have to click their website then click the download link?"
#33  January 22, 2021, 05:23:36 am
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org

• Sell M.U.G.E.N
  • Talk about warez
  • Handle unexperienced without special patience. Ban them on sight, I'm sure that won't have any lasting impact :dizzy2:
  • If you find it difficult to stay calm after reading the same question for the fifth time in a week, get triggered as hell.
  • Use as much data as you want with your profile and signature, everyone has data to load your 5gb gif signature no problem
  • Any form of NSFW material is allowed no matter how illegal it is, no tags required

Not sure how my joke of MFG's rules inverse is slippery slope at all

But you're forced to give a view regardless of the case, all that changes is where the view actually goes. This same logic can be applied to the case of the creator having a website.

"Why should you have to click their website then click the download link?"

Because cheezy JS view counters don't have a suggested videos algorithm nor potential monetary gain tided it unlike views on YT. Even if they did I doesn't have as much impact as YT.

Wasn't there a thread recently that someone was exactly doing this to gain views
#34  January 22, 2021, 05:31:26 am
    • USA
I would listen to Vans and walt. These guys are pretty OG and know certain etiquette about from an era and in many ways hasn't aged at all. Also, ignore Speed he's kind of an asshole anyway.
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#35  January 22, 2021, 05:40:05 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA

Born and bred
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#36  January 22, 2021, 05:56:03 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
  • Sell M.U.G.E.N
  • Talk about warez

I mean... your DP isn't really child-friendly if you get my drift... Nothing wrong with that.
It's just ironic cuz you seem to enjoy risque avatars yourself and yet you seem so adamant on altering a few policies here and there without not being extreme.
#37  January 22, 2021, 06:27:43 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#38  January 22, 2021, 06:56:07 am
  • One of Ikemen GO devs
    • Colombia
Yeah, that's not how the meme is used.

About using youtube links, this is a interesting topic.

On one hand one could monetize the views on Youtube.
But one can do the same and on personal blogs/sites via ads and Youtube does not force registrations or is intrusive like ad.fly
But the extra views can affect the algorithm
But that only matters if the video/channel is monetized on the first place.

Reading the posts... I think that maybe this has been blown out of proportion.
But wait!! We haven't made the Suave Dude character yet!!
Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:03:23 am by Gacel
#39  January 22, 2021, 08:45:49 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
I agree on this whole thing being blown out of proportion.

The thread that got linked earlier, that had been deleted and re-added constantly to avoid having the direct link posted, was the main reason I pointed out that orochi_kyo forgot his link (well, I assumed he forgot it -- I posted it so his thread wouldn't get taken down).

His response thereafter did blow this out of proportion and, yeah.

In terms of the issue with him... he overreacted and I don't care anymore. In terms of the discussion over direct links vs youtube/social media/website links, it's interesting.
#40  January 22, 2021, 02:24:00 pm
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
Orochi (which is a great creator) blew this completely out of proportion and took it personally, and people posting the direct links when he specifically asked them not to were kind of dicks.

Embedding your videos into your posts and adding a direct link will usually get the views you want.

Acting so desperate to get views is not a good strategy; keep creating stuff and eventually you'll get followers/fans/views.
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA