YesNoOk

New Dragonball Super Series (Read 1521698 times)

Started by Omega, April 28, 2015, 02:37:30 pm
Share this topic:
Re: New Dragonball Super Series
#2321  January 20, 2021, 09:14:26 pm
Setting up a lot of interesting things for one arc, uh.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#2322  January 24, 2021, 01:05:21 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Kinda.....odd of Vegeta to choose this path.  I mean yeah, I get it, there's two options and we already know he's rejecting Goku's taken path on principle.  But we and they know Whis is better than Beerus.  Vegeta's goal is still to be better than Goku.  So....why go with the guy who every party acknowledges is the lesser of the two and less likely to gain anything fruitful from studying under?

I mean, I say "less likely", we know the story will bend to prove that wrong later on down the road anyways, but now I'm figuring that Beerus is the kind of guy whose ego would curtail whatever new Vegeta development occurs as to prevent the student from surpassing the master.  He wants a challenge out of these Saiyans, not to be dethroned.  Which I'm guessing is also why he hasn't picked an actual new fight with Goku to hold him accountable for, like, everything, because as much as they've retconed Beerus to remain top dog as power levels continue to ever increase in Super, Ultra Instinct was kinda the wall he needed to break through to get over Beerus.

Unless, you know, they pump up Beerus' value once again and now he's not humbled by Goku getting it before him, he didn't NEED it, he just WANTED it.  Or something ridiclous to that degree.

Anyways more Frieza.  Yay, I guess.  Still wishing Cell got some acknowledgement like the other two main Z baddies.
#2323  January 24, 2021, 09:39:25 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Beerus is a lazy ass cat, considering the power creep and the comparison whis made, that beerus was a palace and they were trees, Goku is likely not even close to beerus half point.
#2324  January 25, 2021, 01:08:15 am
    • USA
Then what was the POINT of Ultra Instinct?  It's Beerus' white whale in comparison to his caretaker's source of power, and Goku got to it before him.  And now his sights are set on Whis and the Angel tier list.  Beerus is old news.
#2325  January 25, 2021, 05:52:05 am
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
We saw something about vegeta's new tecniques when vegeta was watching ultra instinc fighting agains jiren so vegeta thought he wasnt prepared to turn into ultra instinc but anyway he was be able to hit jiren faster than goku and goku was be able to scape from jiren's punches faster than vegeta maybe it will be something like that, the new power vegeta will get.
#2326  January 25, 2021, 09:57:30 pm
Then what was the POINT of Ultra Instinct?  It's Beerus' white whale in comparison to his caretaker's source of power, and Goku got to it before him.  And now his sights are set on Whis and the Angel tier list.  Beerus is old news.

there was none , same goes for super saiyan kaioken. they just wanted to give goku a new form.
#2327  January 25, 2021, 10:39:39 pm
Super Kaiohken is anime only atrocity and its name shall be spoken no more.
Ultra instinct is just a step on the powercreep ladder. Remember when Super Saiyan God was a Saiyan with the power of a god (totally not in response to the Goku vs Superman death battle crap) and that was it ? Powercrept less than one movie later (not even worth showing it).
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 10:45:37 pm by Byakko
#2328  January 26, 2021, 12:09:53 am
    • USA
I'm fairly certain the timetable doesn't line up for BoG's new form to have anything to do with Death Battle's negative reception.  Beyond that movie's scope and solely on Toei's end, ignoring Toriyama?  Maybe, though doubtful.  But if anything, that came up in response to Dragon Ball Evolution.  Also, like, everyone's poked dozens of holes in both Goku vs Superman videos on how poorly done it was on both sides.  I mean, going out of your way to find the bio description on Superman that specifically labels how he does not have unlimited strength, showing it, then deciding "But we don't want to include that because it would alter the narrative ideology outcome we want" is about all you need to know on them.  Even if Toei cared, it would not take much insight to roll your eyes at it.

But anyways, I'm not talking power levels, I'm talking narrative of the series now.  There was a build-up to Ultra Instinct before we even knew what the thing being built up to was from the beginning of Super, akin to Super Saiyan in DBZ.  Beerus just also sat as a benchmark to mark what achieving it puts you past.  Having Beerus still be in the lead now makes the whole story be pointless from Super anime's additions to BoG and RoF up to the Tournament of Power.  The exception I COULD see was what I mentioned before, but that would imply Beerus doesn't need UI whatsoever, he's just greedy and wants it for his ego.  But if that were the case, he wouldn't be not just lower than Whis on the totem pole, but nearly negligible to Angels.
#2329  January 26, 2021, 01:29:07 am
It was a joke
As for UI, once it's mastered, it's not like Dragon Ball is just going to sit down and say "that's it, this was the end game, Goku will never get any further than that because that's the top of the universe".
#2330  January 26, 2021, 01:48:28 am
    • USA
Didn't read as a joke, sorry.

And, I mean, yeah?  I'm not gonna argue against that, that is true?  It also goes along with the "Beerus is old news" schtick.  Now he has this Angel tier list and Ultra Instinct 2 and 3 and whatever the hell they come up with.  Some new daffy force Toriyama cooks up like Zeno's lecturing dad on not cleaning his toys or something.
#2331  July 20, 2021, 11:52:46 pm
    • USA
Been a while since this thread's been active.  Time for a bump, because we got a new transformation.  Spoilers, I suppose, but it's also been out in the general news for a few days now.  Vegeta's turn now it seems.  Guess Royal Blue or SSJB2 or whatever from the ToP was short-lived.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

It's...odd looking.  Both SSJ3 and Ultra Instinct Sign looking at the same time.  Mostly just ends up with Caveman Vegeta.

Also I guess story's continued to a degree.  Mostly fighting over an misunderstanding that the good guys now know of but don't quite care about the details.  Granolah taking out Goku was a bit weird in its reasoning given.  First they state that even his super perfect scanner eyepiece thing shows MUI has zero openings or downsides, but later on he is able to go all Kenshiro and pressure point his heart to explode because "His accuracy lowers over time".  Despite....not doing any moves or techniques at the time requiring accuracy whatsoever.  Eh, I'm assuming what the translation meant that its ki guard becomes more erratic over time, not continually perfect always.

Oh also Goku's heart got pressure pointed and gave out.  Or at least that's what it seemed from the outside.  Then he got up later this chapter and there was an aftershock also in his heart but he ignored it.  The effectiveness of damaging vital organs in Super has been very all over the place and it's weird.  A nice callback would have been to have his go into his God form and heal it like in Battle of Gods, but guess we're not doing that, at least up to this point.
#2332  July 21, 2021, 01:16:14 am
Glad to see Vegeta finally having a thing of his own, but yeah, that design is leaning too heavily on the monkey thing. Especially with that pose with that angle.
I'm curious about where that story is going but I don't quite have a good feel for it yet. It's cool that they're doing really new and unique story arcs with both Goku and Vegeta learning more about different paths to god powers in the background.
#2333  July 21, 2021, 01:35:31 am
    • Mexico
I'm still waiting for a way for them to make Piccolo and Gohan not be canon fodder but I'll take that wait to my grave
#2334  July 24, 2021, 04:20:43 pm

Comic-con panel for the 2022 movie, Super Hero. Quick teaser near the end (just the title card with music basically), a Goku animation that seem to say the movie will be a lot more 3D (still half 2D probably) than classic 2D, and some character artworks of Piccolo, Krillin, kindergarten Pan, and a pair of new guys. Since Pan is growing up a little, I really hope we'll finally see Goten and Trunks start growing up too. We're getting really close to the final chapter of the manga if Pan is almost 4 (and yet I don't think we'll see Bulma appear nearly as old as she looks in that chapter).
Also lol, Piccolo actually has a house, Namekian style.
So, not Janenba after all. ... Well, maybe.
Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 04:49:41 pm by Byakko
#2335  July 25, 2021, 04:25:30 am
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
The teaser of the movie, but it looks ugly why? they are so obsessed of using 3D models
#2336  July 25, 2021, 04:59:18 am
    • USA
I too vastly prefer hand drawn 2D artwork, 3D anime has traditionally been MUCH farther behind than your typical western blockbuster example, but it's not exactly Blue Submarine No. 6 quality anymore.  Since Land of the Lustrous I think we've gotten good examples of 3D anime and I'm left to assume Dragon Ball of all anime properties will get the people behind it to make it shine.  If nothing else we know Toriyama's art style works well in 3D because Dragon Quest has been running with it for years now just fine, if video game to theater production not being an exact one-for-one. (Oh right and duh, all the freaking Dragon Ball video games.  Because somehow I legit forgot all of those for a moment)

It's mainly a heavy distraction when it switches between the two.  Worse yet when it's on the same character, at least with mecha your brain is expecting the machine to look different.  It's why Ressurection F and Super Broly just looked weird and standout when they just swapped out Goku and Vegeta for 3D models for a scene or two.  Granted doesn't always work with the mecha example either just not being humanoid, the first thing I often think about when pondering early 3D anime is the Sailor Moon R movie's Earth-shattering asteroid being beautifully hand drawn up until it gets close then they decide to show off their 3D skills of the time and it becomes a 30 polygon count blooming flower planet.  But that was freaking before Toy Story was a thing.

In short, if they keep the whole thing 3D and it generally looks like this quality throughout....

I think the movie will do just fine.
Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 05:03:52 am by Long John Killer
#2337  July 25, 2021, 08:21:26 am
well i won't keep my hopes up it sounds and feel like this movie is just a filler story.

3d .... i dunno there's like 2 anime that used 3d great houseki no kuni and black rock shooter.
#2338  September 21, 2021, 10:35:13 pm
New chapter
1 : Vegeta IMMEDIATELY gets pummeled, again, despite his brand new power. At least they're tying that to his training as god of destruction and mixing it with some personality.
2 : oh SHIT. It's happening !
#2339  September 21, 2021, 11:55:13 pm
    • USA
...It?  Wait, were we expecting...

Oh and on Vegeta, it's strange to make a boast how Ultra Ego can immediately boost him up from 0% to 100% as soon as it goes up.  Because wasn't that the point of Super Saiyan Blue?  Ki control and all that fluff?
#2340  September 22, 2021, 12:48:04 am
No, not necessarily a comeback or anything, but definitely some sort of flashback and actual canon presence.
Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:16:56 am by Byakko