YesNoOk

Johnny Lawrence / Jimmy Zappa (Cobra Kai) (Read 8952 times)

Started by CpnCrossfader, February 24, 2021, 09:21:24 pm
Share this topic:
Johnny Lawrence / Jimmy Zappa (Cobra Kai)
#1  February 24, 2021, 09:21:24 pm
    • UK
Hi all,
Been wanting to add this character to my Mugen since before the Cobra Kai TV series was even a thing!
I couldn't find the character anywhere and in the end I got sick of waiting, so just found some sprites and made my own interpretation of Johnny Lawrence! (a.k.a. Jimmy Zappa).

A bit of background- Jimmy Zappa is a character from Capoeira Fighter III, and is unquestionably a thinly-veiled tribute to Billy Zapka's portrayal of Johnny Lawrence in the Karate Kid films and series.

Now I have never actually played Capoeira Fighter III, but seen videos and was aware of the character.
There seemed to generally be a Ryu-style theme; with Tatsu and Dragonpunch sprites, so I have built him using a tweaked model for Ken from SFII. This may or may not be faithful to the original- this is my own take and I'm more bothered about Johnny Lawrence than Jimmy Zappa.

I have added a few of my own sprites (for intros/taunts/moves), and sounds (from the films and TV series), to include more Karate Kid/Cobra Kai references.

Here is a showcase, and the film for reference!

Moves:
Crane Kick = QCF + b
Sweep the Leg = QCB + c
Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy = QCF + c
Rage Counter (elbow to the knee) = x+a (counters if opponent attacks while you are fuming)
Flip evade = y+b
Tatsu = QCB + a or b
Dragon punch = same as always

Taunt is chugging a Coors Banquet

The palettes are:
Cobra Kai (paler skin and lighter blonde- more faithful to the film than Jimmy Zappa)
Eagle Fang (Cobra Kai series 3)
LaRusso - Daniel San's skin tone/hair colour, Miyagi Do colours

I'm open to constructive feedback on this- It's a fairly simple character, so if anyone wants to rework the sprites or take this in their own direction, I'd love to see the results. (It's all in the zip file)

Download
Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 08:33:33 am by CpnCrossfader
Re: Johnny Lawrence / Jimmy Zappa (Cobra Kai)
#2  February 25, 2021, 05:36:47 pm
  • I must continue my training...
He's a little rough around the edges but thank you so much for bringing this guy to life. I grew up on Karate Kid. Now my son loves it and we watch Cobra Kai together.

Also I need that stage...lol!

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 05:40:06 pm by Vegaz_Parrelli
#3  February 25, 2021, 05:48:09 pm
He's a little rough around the edges but thank you so much for bringing this guy to life. I grew up on Karate Kid. Now my son loves it and we watch Cobra Kai together.

Also I need that stage...lol!
I agree.. I’m glad he’s attempting to bring other pop cultures to Mugen

And speaking of Cobra Kai stages.. I think omega turbo made a really good one with zoom included. I think he’s the author. I got it from here a few months ago
#4  February 25, 2021, 06:08:34 pm
  • I must continue my training...
I actually remember that stage...

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
#5  February 25, 2021, 06:14:25 pm
    • UK
Thanks for the comments, guys. I love my pop culture characters as you can probably tell from my back catalogue!
Appreciate the rough around the edges, I'm constantly learning and improving. They take me ages to make, but I've actually got 1 other pop culture WIP in the pipeline which is close to completion.

This is my first character where I haven't drawn the majority of the sprites myself, but I found it equally difficult to make strangely, due to not having much of a reference point.
#6  March 01, 2021, 07:21:00 pm
    • Canada
sweet character n thx for the shout out dakid