YesNoOk

Sprites interpolation , streets of rage and others  (Read 14164 times)

Started by bWWd, March 29, 2021, 11:39:57 am
Share this topic:
Sprites interpolation , streets of rage and others
#1  March 29, 2021, 11:39:57 am
Hey guys i do sprite interpolation recently , maybe some of You will find it interesting , here are original ones and after interpolation with twice amount of frames:

Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:45:30 am by bWWd
Re: Sprites interpolation , streets of rage and others
#2  March 29, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
Those are some really fluid animations right now.
What program did you use to interpolate these anims?
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#3  March 29, 2021, 04:20:48 pm
  • SNK is life
This seems SUPER useful, but just like Thedge, I'm curious to know the process :beam:

IIRC Interpolation creates in between frames by calculating, but they might come out smudgy, so there has to be some an extra step to bring back the sprite into an acceptable color count :O
#4  March 29, 2021, 04:35:15 pm
  • Wandering....
beautiful
#5  March 29, 2021, 06:14:55 pm
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
#6  March 29, 2021, 06:44:40 pm
Its interprite with quite a lot of patching later, i used interptite to speed it up and to figure out where limbs should be and copy them from other frames using aseprite's rotsprite tool, its also preserving palette,
 Dain results sadly look like this unless you have more frames to work with and character is not rotating too much :

another one :

Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:47:58 pm by bWWd
#7  March 29, 2021, 07:05:10 pm
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
Its interprite with quite a lot of patching later, i used interptite to speed it up and to figure out where limbs should be and copy them from other frames using aseprite's rotsprite tool, its also preserving palette,
 Dain results sadly look like this unless you have more frames to work with and character is not rotating too much :

another one :

ah, yea I remember testing out that interprite program when I first heard about it. The results are pretty good considering it's using no AI whatsoever compared to dian-app with even with more frames arguably looks worse since they tend to have a smudging effect to them

The only real complaint I have and it's a bit of a non issue is that you're forced to use bmp files with the frames only (not sure why it couldn't support png files) and copying frames is a bit clunky (having to export them and reimport, rather than just being to ctrl-c ctrl-v them)
#8  March 29, 2021, 07:13:31 pm
Yes but if you plan the workflow then its not a problem especially with aseprite.
Its defnitely better than ai especially with low spritecount (below 8), AI looks like its morphing between frames without actual intelligence.

This dain example is impressive tho, but it works in these kinda of frames where limbs arent obscured too much
Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 07:18:45 pm by bWWd
#9  March 29, 2021, 07:21:05 pm
  • SNK is life
So it's more spriting and problem solving than an automatic machine. I thought so. I love the results

another one :

I adore this animation. Hit me right in the childhood. Great job man!!!!

#10  March 29, 2021, 07:48:53 pm

fixed closer leg jump, wa buggin me
Sometimes doing interpolations requires adjusting original frames too, just to get smoother motion properly
Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:06:37 pm by bWWd
#11  March 29, 2021, 07:54:46 pm
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
Its defnitely better than ai especially with low spritecount (below 8), AI looks like its morphing between frames without actual intelligence.

Interprite defiantly does a better job with that since it does have context for what it's drawing with the sprite areas and bones, while the AI is just making it's best guesses upon what the next sprite is. While it does make very good guesses you can see even with sakura's win pose example, you can see that shades disappear in her skirt and legs, her hands somewhat fade to the next position rather than morphing properly. While interptie as jittery as it is does attempt to draw new area's with the sprite since it does have context. I guess it depends what's easier to work with.
#12  March 29, 2021, 09:24:19 pm
  • SNK is life
I tried looking for "Interprite" on Google and Youtube to find tutorials or examples but found nothing. What is it?
#13  March 29, 2021, 09:36:56 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#14  March 30, 2021, 12:21:48 am
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
New #15  March 30, 2021, 01:10:14 am
I tried to contact Markey to update interprite and maybe add ability to add cleaned up body parts like torsos without hands on top of it for better export but now when i think of it, it would be nice to be able to use bodypart from any frame you want on the new frames.
But to be honest png support would be nice and software is pretty much complete, maybe better morphing, and maybe rotsprite implementation when generating sprites.
We mailed a bit but i think if more people would bombard him, he would of cook some features up like play button.

Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 01:23:21 am by bWWd