YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 17340036 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#2481  March 22, 2021, 08:30:45 pm
    • Brazil
Does anyone ever believe anything in anime is indestructible? It's just some bullshit they throw until the next big powerful thing shows up to destroy it.
#2482  March 22, 2021, 11:16:53 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Does anyone ever believe anything in anime is indestructible? It's just some bullshit they throw until the next big powerful thing shows up to destroy it.

I never did... there's always something stronger out there to destroy it. In this case, Shadow going all out meant the Life Fibers were now.. lifeless.

Anyhow: The next battle should be really interesting since both Luthor and Doom had previous Death Battles (Doom defeated Darth Vader, Luthor lost to Iron Man). The basic knowledge of each character and their abilities are generally the same from their previous appearance in Death Battle all the way back in Season 2.

The key to this battle? The new stuff added to each character since then. Will any of it be canon and part of their arsenal? (For example, the 2019 Doctor Doom comic has Doom taking out the entire universe at the end of the series; I couldn't find anything on Luthor that could be added)
#2483  March 23, 2021, 01:06:39 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Unless they plan to revisit their ridiculous notion that Superman is limitless in all degrees and decide to powerscale to that minus 1 somehow (Although....that IS kinda how they reached the outcome "Lex > Hulkbuster"....), I'm thinking the point of contention won't be their destructive capabilities, but Lex's impossible intelligence outmatching Victor's impressive but not Source Wall/Anti-Life Equation/"Wills nanobots into existence out of prison cell materials and dirt" level.  I'm imagining it being more akin to Joker's win against Sweet Tooth, who had every possible advantage over Joker except Joker can convince Sweet Tooth into suicide.

Especially as Victor's whole destiny nonsense deal is how he's the most capable man out of all of humanity, Lex just being a better, brighter human overall outside their fancy tech suits.  Problem is, this reasoning is more suited for writing an actual crossover, considerably more questionable reasoning for a Death Battle.  As in once again, Joker/Sweet Tooth, I find it hard to believe over 50% of considerable possible outcomes had Sweet Tooth not just kill the guy.  If anything, Lex stroking his ego would just make Victor all the more jealous that Lex knows more than him despite all his accomplishments.

That's your No Limits Fallacy in play there.  Since I've brought up the episode a few times and it still bugs me a bit, I'll reuse the example from Beerus vs Galaxia; in SM, they introduce a number of concepts akin to souls and then further down the existence pipeline down to very conceptual essence with Star Seeds.  These things are somehow beyond molecular harm, they got a sword that splits molecules and just bounces of them.  But then you reach Galaxia and they throw in Chaos, a similar conceptual force of power that can destroy something's very essence of multiversal being across different universes and timelines.  Except Usagi but she breaks all the rules, protagonist, whatever.
Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:24:13 am by Long John Killer
#2484  March 23, 2021, 01:32:35 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
The problem for Luthor in this matchup is that Doom has, at bare minimum, comparable levels of intelligence to him. Maybe Luthor ends up being very slightly smarter, but the difference is in no way gonna be big. Doom is insanely impressive even with all the many, many, many super-geniuses in Marvel. Luthor can at least be given the point on armor: presumably his is a little better than Doom's, since it regularly goes up against Superman (though Doom's armor is no slouch at all). However, Doom has way, way more resources at his disposal, because he's a master of the mystic arts on top of all that. He's not just the second smartest Marvel character, he's the second best at magic too.

Like sure, Luthor's main enemy is a bigger threat than the Fantastic Four are. But Doom is by no means only a Fantastic Four villain: he's the Marvel villain, easily and seamlessly going up against any number of Marvel characters, no matter how strong they are. Or sometimes all of them at once! Doom's got a way better track record, and wielded omnipotent power countless times. This is his matchup to lose.
#2485  March 23, 2021, 01:45:53 am
    • USA
I'm interested in it either way it goes, but I'm just disappointed it's another Marvel vs D.C. when Doom is specifically the one they had to match with Magneto and do their long wondered Marvel vs Marvel match they wanted to do.  Especially with Magneto who they continually find to be a hard match-up to do, either he completely obliterates his weight-class or can't touch those above him just because how his powerset works.  Also Magneto and Doom are just cool and would make a cool match-up.

Guess it'll just have to wait for some other year.
#2486  March 23, 2021, 01:59:40 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
If DB's commitment to showcasing each character at the absolute height of their abilities holds true here, then I can't see Luthor having anything that even remotely counters God Emperor Doom from Secret Wars.
#2487  March 23, 2021, 02:09:45 am
    • USA
Well, their best that they can bring up at any given time.  Their default best.  Not that Spawn versus Kratos was their best showing, but as example they didn't exactly give Spawn his Divine Spawn omnipotent powers.  Though if anything that was Spawn from literally issue #1.
#2488  March 23, 2021, 04:07:10 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Lex at his most powerful form he's ever had absolutely can beat God Emperor Doom but regular Lex versus regular Doom is just no contest simply because of the magic
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#2489  March 29, 2021, 09:27:54 pm
    • USA

Lex's preview.

Huh.  They're equating the Orange Lantern on equal footing to Green Lanterns, thus to Hal Jordan.  Who they also believe Hal is greater than Alien X.  Albeit with around as much backlash from both D.C. and Ben 10 fans as their Superman/Goku research and outcome.  Interesting direction to take it, I wasn't going to put Lex in THAT ballpark.
#2490  March 29, 2021, 10:23:52 pm
    • USA
Lex Luthor WAS an Orange Lantern at one time (That time being Blackest Night, mind you), so you could - in theory - have him tap into those Orange Lantern powers with a ring, of course.

The bad side: Orange is the color of Greed in the DCU. A guy like Lex is the perfect conduit for Greed...
#2491  March 29, 2021, 11:41:20 pm
    • USA
I would assume that, naturally, Orange Lantern Lex is not among his default armament.  Lest we instantly disqualify all the Batman episodes and whatever temporary rings he got.  If Death Battle is adamant against any of the Bat Family getting any of their extra dangerous equipment out of the Batcave for when they're not fighting street punk levels of enemies, then Lex doesn't get something he wouldn't be found walking down the street with on any other day.  If anything it would just be there to set a bar of how much he could push the ring's power against base Larfleeze.  And frankly that probably still wouldn't matter, because you're taking Larfleeze's feats against the Green Lanterns and applying them as Lex's durability range, not how much better or worse the ring would have been with him.

THAT SAID....Death Battle is still implying Green Lanterns have durability of infinity via Hal surviving Alien X, Hal's victory there was based on him being able to survive Alien X's omnipotency and rewind the battle at any point to be a quicker shot on the draw against Ben's transformation, so unless Larfleeze never fought against Hal Jordan (I'm not that big of a Hal Jordan fan, only have a few books on him over the years and generally don't follow or care about him, but I'm near 100% certain he's dealt with Larfleeze in some conflicts) and they're only comparing him to those on Oa, then that's getting passed on to Lex.  So yeah, physical immunity to damage is a useful boon to have.
Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:47:22 pm by Long John Killer
#2492  March 30, 2021, 03:17:24 am
    • USA
About the closest those two were in a situation was one time Hal called Larfleeze 'Scrooge McDuck with a Power Ring'. Also, Hal has had an Orange Ring on two occasions.

The big thing, for me, is the additional knowledge of what powers his war suit: The Mother Box. To me, it can help explain how Lex can survive an exploding planet and has the strength and speed levels of Larfleeze and Kyle Rayner. Yet.. the suit was made to fight Superman on a consistent basis and no matter what the Mother Box can do, Superman can do far, far, far better.
#2493  March 30, 2021, 03:32:48 am
    • USA
Huh, that's surprising if true for their however-long running history.  I thought I vaguely recall them having some sort of interaction if not a fight with the Ultraviolet Lanterns storyline.  Ah well, haven't read it in a good while.  Figure the various colors of the rainbow meet up more often.

I'm still curious if they're gonna actually try to math out Superman's strength minus whatever debilitating number kryptonite gives, because those things run the gambit of all sorts of effectiveness.  Lex's biggest draw still comes from "He's Superman-level minus one".  Or two, I guess for this analogy, because he still routinely loses with the kryptonite, it's just fluctuates if it's an easy or hard win for the writers.  I mean, Kal-El.
#2494  March 31, 2021, 11:20:33 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Doctor Doom toots as he pleases!

#2495  March 31, 2021, 11:26:44 pm
    • USA
Didn't know the armor's only titanium, considering how much its built up.  Coulda sworn way back in the Infinity Gauntlet saga Doom only survived Thanos using the Power Gem because his armor was some sort of supermetal that could resist near-infinite damage to it.  So the extra-ludicrous feats are all magic-based, then?  Interesting....wonder then if there's a D.C. tech-based magic nullifier?  How often does Lex deal with Zatanna or such?
Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 12:41:03 am by Long John Killer
#2496  April 01, 2021, 01:17:38 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Not very often. And in general, he doesn't really put much stock into the whole "magic" thing—even though it's a very exploitable weakness for his arch-nemesis.

As for the titanium armor: I mean, I guess it might've originally been described as titanium and nobody has since expounded on what material special sc-fi metal it's now made of. It's certainly not portrayed as being merely titanium, though, and of course the video itself mentions how it's majorly amped up by Doom's magics.
#2497  April 01, 2021, 02:33:07 am
    • USA
Alright.  Figuring it's still most logical for Doom to win, but trying to poke holes in the meantime what Lex has to counter.  Seems indeed he has the defense category down if they're using Green Lantern as a base, was seeing if D.C. takes the "magic is just technology you don't yet understand" route with his impossible intellect being able to out-tech the gods and mystics.

If it is the case that all of Doom's survivability lies in his magic prowess and the suit's just standard-fare titanium, or fantasy slightly above that Unobtainium or whatever, that'd be quite an obstacle for Doom to overcover an anti-magic field, D&D style.

Or, as an excuse to post a favorite webcomic of mine.
Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 02:39:45 am by Long John Killer
#2498  April 01, 2021, 07:52:11 am
    • Germany
I guess Lex will have a hard fight with a Doombot for several mins and after his apparent victory the real Doom will show up and just shoot the Lex with his old Mauser Pistol. xD
#2499  April 01, 2021, 08:34:12 am
    • Mexico
I don't think there should be any way for Doom to lose, but the DB researcher is unpredictable and maybe biased at times, so I'm not expecting Doom to stomp or anything. Might surprise us with a bs Lex win.
#2500  April 01, 2021, 07:27:31 pm
don't worry they are marvel biased doom will win for sure. the only dc character who have won in db is superman and darkseid.