YesNoOk

Stage Preview on Select Screen (Read 875 times)

Started by DeathScythe, March 30, 2021, 08:33:08 am
Share this topic:
Stage Preview on Select Screen
#1  March 30, 2021, 08:33:08 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Hey everyone. So, recently I wanted to test the existing methods for stage preview on the select screen.

There is the classic "font as image" method, but there are a lot of cons about this. First, it is limited to 70 or so stages, second, is a very tedious proccess to do it everytime you download a new stage, and third, if you're not using 1.1 & OpenGL, all images NEED to share one palette, making the images very low quality. With 1.1 OpenGL though, they look a lot better with the PNG support and is a lot easier to add new stages since you don't need to update palettes.

Then there is Ikemen, which provides a much better way to do this, without any limit like the font method, however, not everyone wants to use Ikemen instead of Mugen and I am one of these people. The downside is that Ikemen GO only uses OpenGL and in toasters like my laptop it lags a lot. Ikemen GO is basically unplayable here.

Other than that, I don't know any more methods to achieve this. I thought maybe MugenHook could do something, but I saw someone requesting this feature and the developer saying it is not possible right now.

So, is there any other method that I'm not aware of? I'd use the font method on 1.1, as I don't have that many stages to begin with, but as I said, my toaster lags a lot with OpenGL, and using palettes for this is just... not worth the work in my opinion.
Re: Stage Preview on Select Screen
#2  March 30, 2021, 10:16:58 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Only via creating your own frontend. That way you can reference whatever you like as the match is called via command line letting you specify characters and stage. Otherwise font is as good as you get in normal mugen.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  March 30, 2021, 12:32:00 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Only FntV1 (.fnt) needs to share one palette; if you're making a FntV2 (.def/.sff), each glyph can have its own palette, as what dictates the font's bank is the sprite group.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#4  March 30, 2021, 03:00:34 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
Only FntV1 (.fnt) needs to share one palette; if you're making a FntV2 (.def/.sff), each glyph can have its own palette, as what dictates the font's bank is the sprite group.

That's... weird. I tried this yesterday using v2 (.def + .sff), using different palettes for each sprite. Tested with 3 stages: Moutainside Temple, Training Room and Random. In the sff they look ok, but in game, they share palette with the first sprite. Maybe I did something wrong in the def? If it's indeed possible for each glyph to have their own palette in v2 I'll try using it.

Edit: Oh, wait, didn't read it right the first time. So for each glyph I need a different group? For example: sprite group 0, index 40, then group 1, index 41 and so on?
Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:04:38 pm by ヒカリ ♡
#5  March 30, 2021, 09:50:31 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Weird. Could've sworn when I worked with FntV2 before I was able to give each glyph its own palette. If I'm mistaken, then that does suck and you might as well use FntV1.

No, bank refers to a set of glyphs that are referenced at once. When you define text in screenpacks and lifebars, you can specify the bank a font uses, which is typically a different palette; for FntV2, that means the entire set of glyphs filed under that group.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#6  March 31, 2021, 07:02:12 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Oh, ok, I got it. But I guess this is useless when using stage previews right?
Thank you both for the answers. I'll probably stay with the good old text then. :lol: