YesNoOk

Kentaro Miura died at 54 (Read 27206 times)

Started by Kazagami, May 20, 2021, 05:42:13 am
Share this topic:
Kentaro Miura died at 54
#1  May 20, 2021, 05:42:13 am
    • Indonesia

Add me at Kazagami#7568 for an invite link to the WaifuLaifu Discord Server

Re: Kentaro Miura died at 54
#2  May 20, 2021, 06:09:31 am
  • the Suicidal Bastard
  • "I want to see and understand the world outside."
    • Philippines

oh no... RIP...
#3  May 20, 2021, 06:11:46 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
WTF???? Really?

He passed away?
Oh my god. I loved the Berserk series... His art was inspirational...
Sad to not be able to finish his work...

RIP my man and thanks for all the gory action of the 90's.
#4  May 20, 2021, 08:33:34 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 RIP, man. While this is saddening to see him go along with his exceptional talent go, what makes me a little happier is that the man left behind a legacy and spent life doing what he loves best. That is a rare feeling to ever live on.
#5  May 20, 2021, 08:56:18 am
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
RIP
#6  May 20, 2021, 10:14:37 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
RIP Muira.
Berserk will go down in history as one of Manga's big "what if"s along with Tezuka's Phoenix. What a wild ride.
#7  May 20, 2021, 10:44:49 am
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
He's partying with the Idolmaster girls now.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#8  May 20, 2021, 12:50:28 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
No, that's Hunter x Hunter.

Berserk was actually going somewhere, the last chapters showed Casca going back to her old self, confirmed the Skull Knight was Gaiseric all along and hinted Guts and the Moonlight boy would reunite for good.
#9  May 20, 2021, 03:15:05 pm
idk hxh isn't going down hill it's more like the story hadn't progress to even tell if it's good or bad.

but damn miura dead , he was hospitalized about a year or so ago didn't knew it was grave.
#10  May 20, 2021, 03:34:44 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
i dont think either manga was going "downhill." both mangaka were overworked and had to slow down production due to health issues, sure, but all that really told me was that we would probably never see a conclusion to either. rip miura, what a legend he was and will continue to be.
#11  May 20, 2021, 04:09:54 pm
i imagine his health issues were because of the cruel work hours. take a look at this graph that shows how much free time mangakas take from working on manga:

3 fucking hours... this is modern day slavery. how can someone be expected to stay healthy in those conditions? i blame japan's shitty work ethics, and the asshole editor who probably knew he was sick yet pressured him into working.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#12  May 20, 2021, 04:28:42 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
i imagine his health issues were because of the cruel work hours. take a look at this graph that shows how much free time mangakas take from working on manga:

3 fucking hours... this is modern day slavery. how can someone be expected to stay healthy in those conditions? i blame japan's shitty work ethics, and the asshole editor who probably knew he was sick yet pressured him into working.

There are two guys on YouTube, Nobita and Shougo that made videos discussing the work ethics of Japan. Yeah the stuff mentioned there are crazy and certain aspect of those ethics are outdated in today's era.
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#13  May 20, 2021, 05:15:35 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
Lol, an East Asian country overworking their employees?
Doesn't sound like news to me.

But regarding Miura, he had high standards for his work.
His art took months and even years to finish, that's why he was overworked.

Being a perfectionist comes with its disadvantages.
#14  May 21, 2021, 06:11:58 pm
  • Is a joke
    • USA
    • Genosan94@gmail.com
Lol, an East Asian country overworking their employees?
Doesn't sound like news to me.

But regarding Miura, he had high standards for his work.
His art took months and even years to finish, that's why he was overworked.

Being a perfectionist comes with its disadvantages.

I know, right?
#15  May 21, 2021, 07:08:15 pm
  • all is love in fair and war

dude, if your work is your passion, it doesn't feel like torture, you want to do it all the time, same like you just installed new game, your body might suffer, but your heart is fulfilled.

Don't compare it to a formal job that you only do it for the money, then every minute feel like torture to your soul, hoping to numb it till the weekend, doing comics should not feel like that, if you feel that way doing the pages, then it will show.
#16  May 21, 2021, 07:19:20 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com

dude, if your work is your passion, it doesn't feel like torture, you want to do it all the time, same like you just installed new game, your body might suffer, but your heart is fulfilled.

Don't compare it to a formal job that you only do it for the money, then every minute feel like torture to your soul, hoping to numb it till the weekend, doing comics should not feel like that, if you feel that way doing the pages, then it will show.
there are plenty of passionate mangaka who overworked themselves due to the strict expectations of the manga industry and its editors. i dont know how you can say their "heart" is fulfilled when burnout is a known issue among people in the manga industry.

doing comics can feel like that, there is plenty of testimony and evidence to why its like that. you can love something to death but when you have to spend hours on end doing it to meet weekly or monthly deadlines, including revisions, it IS torture. this applies to ANY job youre passionate about.
#17  May 21, 2021, 09:12:29 pm

there are plenty of passionate mangaka who overworked themselves due to the strict expectations of the manga industry and its editors. i dont know how you can say their "heart" is fulfilled when burnout is a known issue among people in the manga industry.

doing comics can feel like that, there is plenty of testimony and evidence to why its like that. you can love something to death but when you have to spend hours on end doing it to meet weekly or monthly deadlines, including revisions, it IS torture. this applies to ANY job youre passionate about.

then quit if you can't stand it.  or if you no longer has passion in it.  do other things, do you think working in office is better, I rather pour my idea on paper in ungodly hours than working 9 to 5 doing office shit I can't wait to go home the moment I arrive
What I mean is if I have idea in my head, I want to put it in paper as fast as I can especially storyboard thing, pretty fast to do, if your hand that day feels good you don't want to stop, not even to eat, if next week I feel burnt out then that week I'll slow down, no matter what, but before that, I better do as much as I can especially the first few pages. burn out to me only happen if I'm not satisfied with my work and don't know why or don't find a way to make it better. as long as I have flowing idea I don't burn out, that is burn out for professional setting, for casual hobbyist people who stop drawing for "burnout" that means they rather do something else more interesting to do that day or week ( new game comes out, etc).

beside time schedule is not bulletproof, I wrote down plan in my notebook, then I can't meet it since a page take longer to do, since I had to go somewhere, then I reschedule it again the next day.
#18  May 22, 2021, 01:44:16 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
they cant just quit when its their livelihoods and the industry is as cutthroat as it is. its very hard to even get into a major publication, which you generally need to do to make money for it full time. they cant just do something different like youre talking about, or do other things. they have very strict deadlines that necessitate these long hours of work. youre comparing a very different life experience to your own when it doesnt apply.
#19  May 22, 2021, 03:49:12 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Out of topic, I saw yesterday that one of MAPPA (animation studio) animators left due to bad work conditions. Idk if it's true, probably is. So yeah... looks like that's a common thing in Japan, which is sad.
#20  May 22, 2021, 06:50:20 am
they cant just quit when its their livelihoods and the industry is as cutthroat as it is. its very hard to even get into a major publication, which you generally need to do to make money for it full time. they cant just do something different like youre talking about, or do other things. they have very strict deadlines that necessitate these long hours of work. youre comparing a very different life experience to your own when it doesnt apply.
OK, of course you can't break contract, but if the life of making comic is no longer desirable you can be something else, game character designer, online drawing streamer, making how do draw tutorial, fashion/ costume designer after that contract is done. 

in a comic both parties are tied on a project even when you take longer than a deadline the other side cant just scold you, fire you and replace with another. in the end it have some flexibility.  if your  drawing hobby is to tell a story then you do comic, since telling a story can't be finished in just one page, then you feel you have to continue, same goes with novel writer.

come on I make comic for living, sometime for 3 days in a row I draw until 3 in the morning or forgot to eat a meal or taking bath, I won't do that everyday, same like playing a game when things get interesting you don't feel tired you don't want to leave to nap.  your fingers feel tired after around 6 hours, thumb is cramping if you use thin pencil or if you grip too hard, would callouses stop you from playing game you love? I just grab grip exercise tool, to make the blood run and draw again.  that time schedule above is probably self applied, not forced on you.

I'm just giving a perspective, not to compare a creative job to a mindless automation job like a sewing a pocket bag of a pants in sweat shop jeans manufacturing workshop in pakistan or somewhere.

it is just a news about some comic artist died at 54, which is not a young age for a heart attack, my father died at 52 having a laidback store manager life with low stress from cancer.