YesNoOk

Kentaro Miura died at 54 (Read 27228 times)

Started by Kazagami, May 20, 2021, 05:42:13 am
Share this topic:
Re: Kentaro Miura died at 54
#21  May 22, 2021, 07:36:07 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
Changing your line of work is not that simple, especially in places like Japan or South Korea.

Super conservative countries like the two are infamous for holding grudges towards people who call it quits. They find it disrespectful and somewhat immature.
Publishers and other firms will literally blacklist you through their own networks.
Once you leave your job, chances are you'll never be able to come back to it in the future.

That's why lots of animators and artists can't just quit. They're afraid of retaliation.
#22  May 22, 2021, 08:55:57 am
  • all is love in fair and war
I think it is the same everywhere quitters is seen as weakness, and people has less confidence in this person's future project, they would worry if the project would stop halfway again if he leaves unfinished project or cancel a project with alternate ending halfway, but if a project is done, and he just branching out into another ventures why not?
maybe change genre of the future comic if the current one is no longer appealing  from where his life at where drawing a page feels like a chore. 

probably animator is different story since they make more boring task animating a scene of someone else's title, I can understand if they feel like a under appreciated slave, same way with game developer, I did in game asset work for local mobile game developer 3 times since I was in need of job , never again. I was outsourced work from home, and get called 1am in the morning to talk about certain pixel art for waterfall animation, not being smooth enough.

I remember this title from the time I read city hunter and fist of the northstar in my junior highschool day, and I'm now 43 yrs old geez, he is a household name with only one title, hard to me to imagine this guy is overworked into early death since he works so slow and obviously loving his job working on the same title for 2 decades.
some men do have tendency to develop heart condition approaching middle age. 
#23  May 22, 2021, 09:12:05 am
there are plenty of passionate mangaka who overworked themselves due to the strict expectations of the manga industry and its editors. i dont know how you can say their "heart" is fulfilled when burnout is a known issue among people in the manga industry.

doing comics can feel like that, there is plenty of testimony and evidence to why its like that. you can love something to death but when you have to spend hours on end doing it to meet weekly or monthly deadlines, including revisions, it IS torture. this applies to ANY job youre passionate about.
passion doesn't replenish health nor give you a fulfilling life. some of those guys are married and they don't even have time to spend with their wives/children, how is passion gonna help them live a normal life?
the constant stress of long work hours and trying to keep up with the deadline will not have a positive outcome on their bodies. I have known people who developed hypertension just from the stress of their jobs and the lack of sleep/time off that happens because of it. they were healthy otherwise and were not predisposed to hypertension.
our jobs are a part of our life, they should never be our life entirely. its not healthy both physically and mentally.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#24  May 22, 2021, 07:07:05 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I saw the news like minutes after was revealed, a tragic death, especially Miura being the Tezuka of Dark Medieval Fantasy. Without Berserk wouldn't exist Dark Souls, Goblin Slayer and some others great and dark works. I respect so much his work and I love the 1997 anime series even when omitted various deails from the manga. My whole cosplay/geek/otaku circle got mourn for his death.

In a special and personal mention: I got a friend who was a hardore fan of Berserk and Miura's works (her nickname was "Berserk Polinka" indeed), and she got devastated with the news, almost like some close to her (family or friends) would died. Especially after a day when she did a co-op live with other 2 friends discussing about Berserk, all making homecosplay of Guts, Casca and Griffith, it was like a week ago and she realized when it did it, Miura was already dead without knowing about it.

About his health state and the excesive work, this event reactivated alarms in Japan once again: all Hunter X Hunter fans became worry about his creator Togashi (who's also in bad health) and wishing him the best avoiding that HxH also became orphan, and as you say, the general discussion about the long work hours in Japan. This is a deja-vu for me, since it's the same that happend when young wrestler Hana Kimura suicided almost a year ago and the discusion about cyberbullying became a national issue.

Well, not much to say about it. The world had lost another legend, my full respects to him. Rest in peace, master...

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#25  May 22, 2021, 08:10:44 pm
    • USA
I feel like I want to watch Berserk because of this... R.I.P Miura.
#26  May 22, 2021, 10:03:12 pm
RIP Berserker author. :mcry:
#27  May 24, 2021, 07:38:56 pm
  • Self-proclaimed best creator!
Never watched the anime or read the manga.
But it's still so sad.
My condolences to his family.
This is fate.