YesNoOk

Atsuko Kagari released (Read 4906 times)

Started by Sir Ghostler, September 17, 2021, 12:20:57 am
Share this topic:
Atsuko Kagari released
#1  September 17, 2021, 12:20:57 am
  • Working on MUGEN characters, 24/7.
    • Australia

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

A collaboration project between myself and @Shimmering Brony. I did the programming and designed most of the moveset, while Shim made the sprites and animations. This project wouldn't have been possible without him!

Feedback is welcomed. We hope you enjoy her.

Link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgiPXTIYC2lboEzQzqcGFveKbV8e
Re: Atsuko Kagari released
#2  September 17, 2021, 01:53:07 am
  • Sunrise Shimmy
    • Mexico
    • Skype - Shimmering Brony
    • sites.google.com/view/shim-m-u-g-e-n/home
Wow! About time we finished her, and yes, I'm the one who made all her sprites (save for the normal and win portraits my friend Jarquin10 did for us), and we enjoyed working on this project we put effort and dedication to!
Nep-Nep-Nep! Nep-Nep-Nep-Nep-Nep-Neeeeep!

Support me on PayPal!
#3  September 17, 2021, 05:11:28 am
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
-There is no sound effect where she jumps (It's only used when she jumps while running forward).
-When she hits the ground twice, it's the dust effect for supers and not the ground shockwave.
-Float should have a sound effect where she's swinging her hands trying to fly.
-All super moves should have a dedicated portrait and not use it's big portrait (Changing (9000,1) will change that as well, so I can't give her a custom one if I want to).
-There is no KO background animation when defeating an opponent with a super.
-The super background doesn't freeze during superpause (The BG animation still keeps going when using Training's menu).
-The voices feels lacking as she says the same things when using specials or supers.
-All her supers except Shiny Arc has the wrong attribute flag when the opponent is defeated (S instead of H).

Wow! About time we finished her, and yes, I'm the one who made all her sprites (save for the normal and win portraits my friend Jarquin10 did for us), and we enjoyed working on this project we put effort and dedication to!
The sprites are great. Although, I just wish your friend could make another portrait dedicated for supers. Amazing work on the character by the way.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#4  September 17, 2021, 07:03:05 am
  • Sunrise Shimmy
    • Mexico
    • Skype - Shimmering Brony
    • sites.google.com/view/shim-m-u-g-e-n/home
I just did a release vid! Where Akko faces El Chavo, on an edit I made of EXShadow's Battlefield, which is yet to be released.

Nep-Nep-Nep! Nep-Nep-Nep-Nep-Nep-Neeeeep!

Support me on PayPal!
Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:56:08 am by Shimmering Brony
#5  September 17, 2021, 10:33:42 am
    • Australia
-There is no sound effect where she jumps (It's only used when she jumps while running forward).
I only wanted there to be a sound when she does a high jump, and a high jump will trigger if she jumps while running.

-When she hits the ground twice, it's the dust effect for supers and not the ground shockwave.
I was following how KOF does it where the first impact uses a shockwave effect and the second impact uses a dust effect.

-Float should have a sound effect where she's swinging her hands trying to fly.
I wanted to include one, but I couldn't find anything that properly fit. Maybe I could play the whiff sounds for her normal attacks repeatedly and that could work, idk. I'll have to experiment with it.

-All super moves should have a dedicated portrait and not use it's big portrait (Changing (9000,1) will change that as well, so I can't give her a custom one if I want to).
I can duplicate her big portrait so the super portrait has its own dedicated sprite.

-There is no KO background animation when defeating an opponent with a super.
At this current point in time, I don't think she really needs anything else other than just a super background and super portrait, tbh.

-The super background doesn't freeze during superpause (The BG animation still keeps going when using Training's menu).
I can fix this, but I'm not sure if it's worth doing, tbh, because I fear it'll lead to situations where it gets frozen where it shouldn't.

-The voices feels lacking as she says the same things when using specials or supers.
I agree, but I don't think there's much I can do. The majority of the voices were sourced from Chamber of Time, and there isn't much variation there either.

-All her supers except Shiny Arc has the wrong attribute flag when the opponent is defeated (S instead of H).
Do you mean the attributes specified in the HitDefs?
Code:
attr = S, HA
Because they should be correct for the other supers.

The sprites are great. Although, I just wish your friend could make another portrait dedicated for supers. Amazing work on the character by the way.
Yeah, Shim did a great job on the sprites. I'm glad you liked what I did with them. Thanks for the feedback. :)

---

There'll be an update releasing soon that'll address a couple of other issues and omissions that were found.
#6  September 17, 2021, 02:04:09 pm
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
I was following how KOF does it where the first impact uses a shockwave effect and the second impact uses a dust effect.
The shockwave itself is fine, but pretty sure the dust originated from the Marvel vs Capcom series and not meant to be used like that as it's for supers due to the effect's proportions. Why not use a dedicated dust shockwave effect for it instead? I'm certain there is one out there you could use.

I can duplicate her big portrait so the super portrait has its own dedicated sprite.
You can, but I don't like how it appears behind her and not in front. And it also disappears too quickly so you can't see it and it's not big enough to cover the bottom corner. A dedicated super portrait for it is much preferred, but I'm not sure if Jarquin10 is willing to do that as the portraits match the character's palette.

At this current point in time, I don't think she really needs anything else other than just a super background and super portrait, tbh.
I originally thought you were going for the Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter aesthetic since the super background came from there. You're also missing a super spark when a super is activated.

I can fix this, but I'm not sure if it's worth doing, tbh, because I fear it'll lead to situations where it gets frozen where it shouldn't.
Are you certain? Because if any character uses a super and freezes briefly before they attack, the background from Akko's supers will be the only thing that's still moving. Like what kind of situations? Just so I can get an idea.

I agree, but I don't think there's much I can do. The majority of the voices were sourced from Chamber of Time, and there isn't much variation there either.
I see. I was thinking about voice clips from the anime like what Shimmering Brony did with his Panty and Stocking. The only thing you'll have to worry about is the background music if any.

Do you mean the attributes specified in the HitDefs?
Code:
attr = S, HA
Because they should be correct for the other supers.
It really depends on the lifebars you use. They should appear as the H icon when finishing a opponent and all show S as they were beaten with a special. The default lifebars should easily tell.

Yeah, Shim did a great job on the sprites. I'm glad you liked what I did with them. Thanks for the feedback. :)
No problem, I never knew who the author was and turns out it was you who done it. Well done.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#7  September 17, 2021, 11:37:30 pm
    • Australia
The shockwave itself is fine, but pretty sure the dust originated from the Marvel vs Capcom series and not meant to be used like that as it's for supers due to the effect's proportions. Why not use a dedicated dust shockwave effect for it instead? I'm certain there is one out there you could use.
I just like how the effects look currently, I don't really mind what the dust effect is used for in source.

You can, but I don't like how it appears behind her and not in front. And it also disappears too quickly so you can't see it and it's not big enough to cover the bottom corner. A dedicated super portrait for it is much preferred, but I'm not sure if Jarquin10 is willing to do that as the portraits match the character's palette.
I was generally following how Melty Blood does it, and I didn't want the portrait to obscure the characters by having it display in front of them. I can possibly extend the freeze so the portrait has more time before it disappears.

I originally thought you were going for the Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter aesthetic since the super background came from there. You're also missing a super spark when a super is activated.
I'm planning to add a super spark eventually, I just haven't decided on one yet.

Are you certain? Because if any character uses a super and freezes briefly before they attack, the background from Akko's supers will be the only thing that's still moving. Like what kind of situations? Just so I can get an idea.
Well, anytime the opponent uses a Pause or SuperPause sctrl, it would freeze the background. I can't predict when other characters will use those sctrls and what they'll be using them for. If I allow the background to be frozen, then it can freeze in situations where it shouldn't, and if I don't allow the background to be frozen, then it can't freeze in situations where it should. There's going to be problems no matter what I do, that's just how it is outside of a fullgame. I'm just going with the option that I think will cause the least amount of them.

I see. I was thinking about voice clips from the anime like what Shimmering Brony did with his Panty and Stocking. The only thing you'll have to worry about is the background music if any.
That's the main reason why I've been using as little amount of clips from the anime and OVAs as possible. Pretty much all of them that we took from the anime had background noise/music, and I want to have a consistent level of quality with the sounds Akko has.

It really depends on the lifebars you use. They should appear as the H icon when finishing a opponent and all show S as they were beaten with a special. The default lifebars should easily tell.
Metamorphie Faciesse, Boiling Flame - Furious Aura, and Shiny Arc all register as a super/hyper when defeating the opponent if the lifebars have a unique icon for them. The Ex specials only register as a special which is intentional.

No problem, I never knew who the author was and turns out it was you who done it. Well done.
Thanks again. :)
#8  September 18, 2021, 12:44:15 am
  • The Forsaken Warrior
  • Let us grieve existence, together.
    • Mexico
Nice to see Akko completed and relased! She feels pretty fun to use! Congratulations, Sir Ghostler and Shimmering Brony!
#9  September 19, 2021, 12:16:52 am
    • Australia
Thank you!

Akko has been updated... https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgiPXTIYC2lboEzQzqcGFveKbV8e
- Corrected some compatibility animations.
- Added a few more compatibility animations.
- Fixed a few remaining sprite errors.
- Corrected a physics issue with the grounded burn state that would cause the opponent to slide unnaturally.
- The super portrait now has its own dedicated sprite.
- Extended the freeze for Ex specials by a few frames.
- Tweaked and updated the readme.
- And the first value for pal.defaults has been set to 1 because I forgot to do that, lol.

Please redownload her.