YesNoOk

Curious on career/job because of Mugen (Read 4292 times)

Started by oraora?, September 18, 2021, 10:20:45 am
Share this topic:
Curious on career/job because of Mugen
#1  September 18, 2021, 10:20:45 am
Hi, after seeing jesuszilla posted a tweet: https://twitter.com/JesuszillaS/status/1429523566966546438 regarding about how Mugen got him the job that he is doing which is software developer or engineering where I saw it from his website before it was down: http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net iirc, I have also seen Vans https://twitter.com/vans1belmont/status/1429540039860514818 and O llusionista: https://twitter.com/brazilmugenteam/status/1429805876832096260 posted as well and it made me curious that a "hobby" like Mugen can get them the career/job.

However, I found out this thread which was created nine years ago: https://mugenguild.com/forum/all./topics/mugen-can-help-you-real-life-135633.0.html I believe that people who wants to become software developer/engineering and so on should not mention "Mugen" in their resume unless if it is original work such as original graphics/arts created from scratch and so on, much like Reu designed his own Dragon Claw as mentioned in that thread.

I wonder if I don't mention "Mugen" in my resume, say if my first ever programming I did was to program Mugen character to Mugen where my Mugen character creation's skill is in the same level as for example, Warusak3, GM, P.o.t.s etc and nothing else, I saw a career/job that is similar to Mugen which I have asked this six years ago: https://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/jobcourse-similar-mugen-164852.0.html does that mean I should take some/most of the required programming languages courses/class/school and so on which I need to do research on my local country as it depends in order to become software engineering/developer, mathematician and so on, and adding it to my resume except for just as a hobby or other interest if I want to mention Mugen, am I right? Correct me if I am wrong.

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
Re: Curious on career/job because of Mugen
#2  September 18, 2021, 11:28:22 am
No, please don't add Mugen on your resume at all, no one knows what Mugen is and it holds zero value to whatever company you want to work for.

You want to be hired as a software engineer? study an actual programming language like JavaScript. This guide was very helpful to me.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#3  September 18, 2021, 12:49:27 pm
    • Australia
It really depends on what your focus is.

And honestly "Software Development" is too much of a broad term, which is a major gripe I have concerning how elements of the media portray it.

You need to know what you want to focus on because each avenue is completely different
-- Do you want to make games?
-- Do you want to want to collect or analyze data?
-- Do you want to manage user access (System Administration)?
-- Do you want to manage machines (scheduling, etc.)?

Mentioning Mugen is not necessarily bad if you're looking for internships regarding game design, but the bad thing about Mugen is that it's a customized language within a language meaning it's portable nowhere.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 01:21:26 pm by PAYING_FOR_COMMISSIONS
#4  September 21, 2021, 08:57:55 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
If you want employers to judge your coding skillset, putting Mugen in your resume will tell them nothing about your ability to write code.  It's a DSL, and its skills are essentially non-transferable between other languages beyond basic operators, logic, and concepts.

It probably won't hurt too much to put Mugen in as a side note (assuming you have extra space, otherwise you should prioritize putting more important items that emphasize your skills and experience instead).  But this is probably more of something to describe your hobbies.  Listing your Mugen experience and projects and expecting it to hold the same weight as someone else's project written in a well known coding language... probably wouldn't work out too well.

Having reviewed resumes and performed interviews, it would definitely catch my attention if someone put Mugen in their resume.  Would that alone make me consider that person as a candidate?  No.  Depending on the position being applied for, I would most likely be looking for people who have demonstrated that they have experience with the specific language(s) and/or libraries that we're looking for.  As well as having projects that demonstrate their experience with OOP, and any other computer science skillsets that we are looking for.  Knowing that a person does Mugen stuff does not tell me much info on their relevant skills for the job.  I doubt that other employers looking for software developers would be able to get much useful info out of this either.  The only time I can imagine this to be more relevant would be if you were applying to some job that involved fighting game design.  But at that point, is what you're applying to still considered a software developer job?

The posts in the thread you linked summarizes it best:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

If you have had academic experience with Computer Science, you are likely to have much more important (and impressive) things to put on your resume than Mugen.
#5  September 21, 2021, 10:56:08 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Mugen itself no. However you can talk about what it taught you from a problme solving perspective if asked and its a good gateway into the LOGIC of programming. However its just a gateway. Mugen code is useless for anything but mugen. Use what you learn and get into powershell or c++ or java or any one of the coding languages out there.

I have half ass powershell knowledge. But im also not a programmer. More of a script kiddy with a backend to take care of. Other people do the code.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.

2OS

#6  September 21, 2021, 10:43:14 pm
  • 608 Wannabe
  • Ich schicke dich zur HOELLE!! STIRB DU FEIGLING!!
    • Egypt
i lack understanding as to why the only thing being discussed here is programming.

the various forms of art concepts that exist have pretty much all been executed in mugen and those same concepts exist in commercial games; you can illustrate your understanding of these concepts through it.

if i understand this correctly reu actually formally did this with dragon claw.
#7  September 22, 2021, 05:22:31 am
    • Australia
@2OS
The post and all of the tweets/messages linked to surrounded programming.

As for Reu (RIP), could you elaborate? Hard to make heads or tails of what you mean.

2OS

#8  September 22, 2021, 03:49:24 pm
  • 608 Wannabe
  • Ich schicke dich zur HOELLE!! STIRB DU FEIGLING!!
    • Egypt
yea and the overall topic is "job because mugen" not "programming job because mugen"

reu did a development video and a trailer of dragon claw which is still on youtube today. most of what was discussed on development is how he was actually assembled and rendered. one specific topic there that stands out is rendering 3d models as sprites which at that time was unheard of.

i dont really remember where i heard this but he used this as a formal college presentation and even if i'm mistaken about that you can see how it would more than fair well as one.