YesNoOk

Is there a way to call a stages p1 starting x position? (Read 48671 times)

Started by MarioManX1983, September 25, 2021, 11:54:25 pm
Share this topic:
Is there a way to call a stages p1 starting x position?
#1  September 25, 2021, 11:54:25 pm
  • Expert Noob
  • I am a lover and a fighter!
    • USA
I am trying to make an intro where the character walks into screen and stops at the position that they normally would be at the start of the round.

I understand that this has to do with the "[PlayerInfo] p1startx =" in the stages .def file and I was thinking I could use the "p1startx =" value as a trigger in the following VelSet.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

The *** is where the trigger will go. So that this VelSet will make the character walk forward until they reach the stages starting x position. So is there any way to call a stages [PlayerInfo] / p1startx ?
May you always win every round, both in MUGEN and Life. :)
Re: Is there a way to call a stages p1 starting x position?
#2  September 26, 2021, 01:22:25 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Unfortunately no. The best way to approach this is to save the starting position (i.e., P1's position right at the start of the match) using a variable and then keep that stored for as long as you need it.

EDIT: for these types of intros, some people like to just make the character invisible, and then use a helper or an explod to simulate the character moving around before returning to their start position. That way, you'd always know the start position (because the character is still there, standing invisibly), and can move around the helper or explod easily without ever having to worry that you might end up placing the character off from where they're supposed to be.

I've never actually used this method before but it seems way more sound than moving the actual character around (which is how I've always done it)
Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 01:36:35 am by Jmorphman
#3  September 26, 2021, 01:35:11 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
It's usually best to have the character be invisible and instead have a Helper or Explod move to that position.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#4  October 01, 2021, 08:27:05 pm
  • Expert Noob
  • I am a lover and a fighter!
    • USA
Thank you both for your advice. I will try your suggestions.
May you always win every round, both in MUGEN and Life. :)