YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 17375826 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#2701  November 05, 2021, 12:00:20 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
One would suppose the logical way they approach Oni is Shao Khan's soul magic junk would force Akuma to lose control.  It's all implied possible in theory but not in this current storyline, your basic "what if" scenario.  How much it differs from Shin Akuma though is up to debate.
#2702  November 07, 2021, 07:36:42 pm
  • Nostalgic Addic
  • Working...
    • USA
    • https://www.youtube.com/@NessTheAvatar
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#2703  November 08, 2021, 03:40:15 am
    • Mexico
#2704  November 08, 2021, 09:26:15 pm
    • USA

Episode's out now.  Next episode is Korra versus Storm.

The animation this episode was a bit stiff.  A bit odd rebuttal to the Shun Goku Satsu too.

Next episode was discussed before, but to reiterate, still fairly certain Korra wins.  Hard for Storm to fight with no air.
#2705  November 08, 2021, 09:30:17 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
The whole episode was dumb,they went off and used non-canon Akuma Meteor shatter feats then went off to give Shao Kahn even more non-canon op materials
but never even mentioned Onİ or Asura's Wrath Oni but ended up scaling Shao Kahn to Elder Gods,Oni was more than enough if scaled to Asura.Completely ignored.Thats DeathBattle for you
#2706  November 08, 2021, 10:00:56 pm
    • USA
Rewatching the fight, I'm wondering if they had bigger plans but hit time constraints?  Shin Akuma got literally two attacks, and one was countered and made a joke of.  The ending likewise just is way too abrupt and stiff suddenly.  Hits lost that feeling of impact and the whole of everything post-SGS was off.  I get it was referencing Neatherealm's stiff animations, it was the whole shoulder tackle deal, really, but it still needed some more time in the oven.

Also Death Battle has a habit of that with mutli-stage transformations and it's a bit disappointing.  They lead and end strong, but mid-forms get such short-changed, especially against opponents who don't transform as well.  So it always comes across as weird when one guy is doing way better in their base form than their super form's first stage, and only marginally better in their final form.
#2707  November 08, 2021, 10:25:07 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA

The animation this episode was a bit stiff.  A bit odd rebuttal to the Shun Goku Satsu too.

Agreed.  Maybe it was the sound design but it felt like nothing Akuma did had any sort of effect as it was happening.
#2708  November 08, 2021, 11:15:32 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
The whole episode was dumb,they went off and used non-canon Akuma Meteor shatter feats then went off to give Shao Kahn even more non-canon op materials
but never even mentioned Onİ or Asura's Wrath Oni but ended up scaling Shao Kahn to Elder Gods,Oni was more than enough if scaled to Asura.Completely ignored.Thats DeathBattle for you
I believe they mentioned that they were willing to take non canon feats if the actual canon supported the possibility of said feat being plausible.

Really, the only thing I got from this was how Mortal Kombat is inconsistent with itself.
So Shao can tank hits from Elder Gods and Liu was able to beat him twice, so I guess Liu has more power than the gods. And given how Shao has the power to merge planets, Liu can either tank it or dodge Shao.
But in the same timeline someone much weaker can just sneak behind him and snap his neck and that actually kills him.
And in the second timeline, the elder gods inbue Raiden with their power and Shao tanks that, but then Raiden roughs him up a bit and that's enough to be able to smite Shao and take him out for good. Also Liu died to Raiden by accident.

Am I missing something here?
Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 06:15:04 am by Darkflare
#2709  November 08, 2021, 11:21:21 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
then there's whole Mk11 lore stuff with Kranokia setting these up etc to make Liu and Raiden enemy's  of each other etc and Kitana killing Shao Kahn with ease
#2710  November 08, 2021, 11:46:12 pm
    • USA
To be fair, Kitana didn't just win "with ease".  She won after Shao Kahn had to already fought with Kotal Kahn, which likewise was not easy for him.  He lost to her when he was not at his best.  That said, Kitana being superhuman and all, it still came across as quite the stretch having her win.

Liu Kang outright has Nintendium-grade plot armor.  He really shouldn't be able to do what he does, but his clothes must be made out of sewn 4-leaf clovers and colored with leprechaun blood because GOD is he lucky.  And faithful so his faith is rewarded and yadda yadda, but still.
#2711  November 09, 2021, 12:17:25 am
    • USA
MK doesn't really do powerscaling.  They always just go for what looks the coolest/goriest, narrative implications be damned, so any attempt to straighten out power levels and lore is gonna be murky at best.  And ordinarily that's fine because nobody plays Mortal Kombat for the math.
#2712  November 09, 2021, 01:03:13 am
    • Mexico
Liu Kang is planetary by DB scaling then, which means Fire God Liu Kang has some absurd power multiplier that puts him at dimension level or some bullshit. Main I hate DB scaling.
#2713  November 09, 2021, 01:17:11 am
    • USA
Worthwhile reminder, as per the Death Battle Cast of people who work there themselves, they're quite open that traditionally, if you were to take mostly any video game series protagonist and put them in a Death Battle with their antagonist with Death Battle rules, the protagonist would lose the vast majority of times.  I believe they brought this up following the Ganon/Dracula episode where they proclaim any Ganon would defeat all the Links without their own plot armor, similar to any Dracula to any Belmont.  No real different with Liu Kang to Shao Kahn, he wins in the games because the Hero needs to overcome the impossible adversity.  Drop them in a Death Battle, Shao Kahn gloats once, gets bicycle kicked, then crushes and rolls up Liu Kang into a little flesh basketball and shoots a 2-pointer.

Not too many big name series/characters that go against this, thinking on it.  I guess Samus to Ridley, Ridley's never had a chance, he's just real good at hanging on to dear life.
#2714  November 09, 2021, 01:39:47 am
    • Mexico
I don't buy that. Shao Kahn has always been Liu's bitch, without complicated plot contrivances like Johnny and Cassie having glowing green shit. He's the one protagonist I can think of that doesn't really have plot armor and actually dies a whole bunch. Lore passes it off as him being that good and just being the chosen one plot, and still just gets killed by a neck snap. If anything this goes to show that MK characters have shit defense, at least.

The one time Shao Kahn beat Liu, it was because FG Liu Kang was manipulating the timeline and made himself job to him.

Lore Shao Kahn is one thing, DB's dream version of Shao Kahn is another.
#2715  November 09, 2021, 01:47:45 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
What I got out of watching that episode is this: Akuma is strong enough to fight strong humans (and superheroes, supervillains, etc.) while Shao Kahn is strong enough to fight literal gods. There's no way Akuma could counter that unless he was given the non-canon version of Oni that was in Asura's Wrath, which can break planets.

So.. are they going to eventually have Shao Kahn fight Gill so he can go 3-for-3 against Street Fighter's biggest and baddest fighters?

As for the next fight: Well, honestly.. I have little to no knowledge on Korra, but what little I do know is that she's an air bender (I think). Going up against a comic book character is always problematic because abilities and skills change most, if not all, of the time with whoever is writing the character.
#2716  November 09, 2021, 01:58:52 am
    • USA
Well, yes and no.  As an Avatar, she knows airbending, though it was the whole background plot of the first season that airbending was specifically the one type she was terrible at understanding because its teachings were in direct conflict with her beliefs and understandings.  Kinda a non-issue after that though, really, because she pushed through when dealing with the first season's antagonist and got the hang of it since then.

Skillset to skillset, an Avatar to Storm are fairly comparable if not directly the same.  An Avatar would get more actual terra firma control plus fire and lighting control and energybending which is essentially controlling others souls.  Storm would get more, well, weather related effects.  Its the extent of how far they can push their control that's up for question, because as you say being a comic book character Storm is much more diversely written and contrarian to previous feats just by nature of the platform.  And Korra you'd have to establish what the greatest benders are capable of, how much the Avatar State puts one above them, and how much that correlates with an Avatar bending the Spirit World.  Plus Korra's whole kaiju form and whatnot that I'm forgetting.

It was brought up prior that Storm terraformed a planet, I'd assume through really high pressure rains, but Toph at her prime was also stated to be able to manipulate the Earth and find anyone anywhere on it, so if nothing else, I'd assume Korra's Avatar State earthbending is a notch above terraforming Storm.  But that's all guesswork, I'm not an Avarar encyclopedia and only followed X-Men for so long.
#2717  November 15, 2021, 07:25:11 pm
    • USA
Quora

Tempest

Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 07:40:52 pm by Person Man
#2718  November 20, 2021, 09:10:23 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
LOL. I feel like Korra wins by default cause she's got the potential to have that gorier fatality (blood bending cough, cough) and getting the Marvel fan boys so ticked off enough to care about replying in the comments section and have that Youtube algorithm to do its job.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#2719  November 20, 2021, 09:53:08 am
    • USA
So, concerning Akuma vs Kahn.....

Also....

Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 12:50:06 pm by Professor Voodoo
#2720  November 21, 2021, 03:36:30 am
    • Mexico
There is nothing stopping Storm from camping up in the air and just pelting Korra with endless thunder. Not that she would need to resort to that though.