YesNoOk

"Multiversus" (Fighting game with Warner Bros. properties) (Read 210402 times)

Started by no1wammy, October 28, 2021, 02:12:11 am
Share this topic:
Re: "Multiversus" (Fighting game with Warner Bros. properties)
#61  December 12, 2021, 10:30:32 pm
    • Brazil
I doubt Fionna will be a skin for Finn. Jake and Cake have very similar body types, so one being a skin for the other is very easy to make. Finn and Fionna's bodies are very different, so you can't just make one work as the other without having to remake most animations and even that could end up not looking great, if Fionna was to be added, she was more likely to be her own character, but even then, she will likely have to wait in line, behind other more important characters from Adventure Time AND other WB properties.
#62  December 12, 2021, 10:52:04 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
A possibility, given all the alt. costumes thus far have matched the same body type to their base whereas Fionna doesn't share Finn's body type.  I would just find it strange to include Cake, the spin-off side character of the main series side character, but not the same to AT's main character.  Meanwhile, Fionna doesn't exactly hold enough fandom sway to demand her inclusion as a separate character I'd imagine.  She for 98% of the show does not exist other than exactly as an in-universe made-up story and point against genderswapt characters, only to be given a vague shrug "Sure, it can be "canon" in an alt. universe" sort of answer in their last appearance from what I recall.  It has been a while since I've seen it, something to do with Ice King going mental trying to prove his conspiracy theory that he's on the same mental wavelength as another universe and he writes down their events as his dreams or something?

Anyways, Adventure Time is a weird show.  Moving on, seeing all those other costumes ended up using in-game models, now I wonder what the deal was with Rick Sanchez?  His picture is clearly not pre-rendered matching the quality of the rest of the cast, but it does look like it would be his in-game model.  But that lab coat is all he really wears, yeah?  I don't watch Rick & Morty, is there some other outfit he could be wearing as his default attire that's not the lab coat and vomit-stained undershirt?
#63  December 12, 2021, 11:33:54 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
One of the big things about Rick and Morty is how it plays around with the concept of a multiverse.  There are a theoretically infinite number of different Ricks, and most of them appear in the show at some point.  It'd be super easy to grab handful of Ricks for his alts.  They could use Wonka Rick, Doofus Rick, Toxic Rick, or any one of The Council of Ricks.

Bet money on Pickle Rick being one of his alts, though.  That joke was way too omnipresent when it came out for it to be overlooked here.
Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 12:06:47 am by Person Man
#64  December 13, 2021, 12:57:21 am
    • USA
Isn't Pickle Rick all gory?  I don't know what the backstory was about that limited-time phenomenon, just whenever I see him with a body and not just a pickle it's made out of striped tendons of rat flesh and picked mostly clean bones.  I'm assuming he made arms and legs for his pickle body out of mutilated rats because story reasons, I dunno?

Kinda depends on what rating this game is going for.  The range in its case so far going from as tame as Scooby-Doo to as mature as Game of Thrones does muddy that water.  I'm assuming it'll land on a nice middle of the road T rating so it can probably get away with a toned down Pickle Rick minus the blood, probably sneak in some Mortal Kombat without completely defanging them too, but who knows at this point.

Also those seem fine alt. costumes, but don't particularly reach me as new default Rick attire.  Unless they for some reason just give him a whole new custom look for this game and call the lab coat "Classic Rick"?  Or again, the whole in-game model pictures are just holdover stand-ins before the game is completed.  Which is still a possibility at this point.

Wait.  One of the small handful of things I do recall of the little I've watched of Rick & Morty is the subversion that the cast that you're watching for nearly all of the show are not the original Rick and Morty.  The originals for the first few episodes were killed off and tossed aside and it scarred Morty for life or something to that degree.  Were they dressed any differently?  That'd explain the outfit discrepancy perhaps.
#65  December 13, 2021, 01:10:47 am
    • USA
Nah.  With the exception of the main Rick and Morty the show follows, Ricks and Mortys are interchangeable with slight variations, to the point where those words are as much adjectival descriptors as they are proper names. 
#66  December 13, 2021, 01:14:24 am
    • USA
Well, shoot.  Thought I had it cracked.  Ah well, maybe Rick will just ship with the game with a weirdly lower-res character profile picture than the rest.  Guess we'll see soon enough.
#67  December 13, 2021, 01:28:55 am
    • Brazil
I need to check which properties belong to WB to see which characters I should expect.
#68  December 13, 2021, 01:51:05 am
    • USA
The main issue that comes to me personally, outside accepting the weirdness of properties that don't mesh well aesthetically like Mad Max with Steven Universe, is how much filling in the roster with fan favorites and requests makes it mostly a Cartoon Network to Adult Swim game, plus some guests.  It'll likewise feel weird if this game ends up with Finn and Steven, but not sooooo many of CN's stars from all over the place.  From Dexter to Space Ghost to the Ed Boys to the Aqua Teens to Samurai Jack to Brock Samson to the Powerpuff Girls to I dunno, the damn Squidbillies.  And so-on and so-forth.  To say nothing of all the classic Warner cartoons the network was originally made to circulate until time immemorial.  Hell, that's also ignoring whatever deals they can cut through Toonami, that already gets them Thundercats and as I've heard a number of times Warner even partially owns Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.  So god knows what the hell they'll put from there.  Do they technically have a hold on Fooly Cooly?  Big O?  Any other anime they helped produce for Toonami?

Anyways, roster insanity speculation aside, I've seen this pic circulated as proof that one of Superman's costume, not the one on display of course but second in the lineup below is Superman 1 Million.

As cool and nerdy a pull as that would be, it doesn't exactly line up one-for-one with the guy.  Along with literally just being the first Superman pic copypasted which none of the other previews do, the chest symbol is all wrong.
#69  December 13, 2021, 02:32:27 am
    • USA
You don't have to limit your thinking to just Cartoon Network properties and DC comics characters.  WB has a huge catalogue to pull from, and considering that Arya and Gandalf are in, we can probably expect a decent amount of characters from live action properties.  Off the top of my head, there's Neo from the Matrix or Beetlejuice they could go with.  Freddy Kreuger, Jason Voorhees, and Pennywise could all be potential candidates.   The character bios on the official website imply that the story will involve The Nothing from Neverending Story as the BBEG, so we could even see Atreyu in this.

As far as WB shows go, they could include Sam and/or Dean Winchester from Supernatural for some easy brownie points with the fans. Wouldn't even be the first time they put them in a crossover.
#70  December 13, 2021, 04:40:35 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Do they technically have a hold on Fooly Cooly?  Big O?  Any other anime they helped produce for Toonami?
Very, very, very unlikely. For The Big O (and I'd imagine the same happened with those awful FLCL sequels), Cartoon Network just provided partial funding, in the same way that TV shows normally get made: usually—though in the US it's becoming less and less frequent due to regulations being removed—the shows that air on TV networks are made by production studios that the network does not own (e.g., Fox aired Batman: The Animated Series, a Warner Bros production), but that show's budget is sourced from a variety of sources, including the network where it will air. But the network doesn't own any aspect of the show itself, even though they paid for large portions of the budget: they just get the exclusive right to air it for the first time ever.

Anime of course works differently, since those are almost always fully completed works that only get licensed and translated after the whole show is done. But in the case of The Big O, Cartoon Network indeed did contribute part of the budget for the second season (and beyond that, Western interest in the first season is part of what prompted the creators to make another one); however, as mentioned before, CN doesn't own a single aspect of the show, even the stuff that was only introduced in the second season. I even went to check the copyright notice for Super Robot Wars Z (which featured the debut of The Big O season 2 in the franchise), and the only company that was both involved with Big O and listed in the copyright section was Sunrise, the studio that made the show.

Anyways, roster insanity speculation aside, I've seen this pic circulated as proof that one of Superman's costume, not the one on display of course but second in the lineup below is Superman 1 Million.
https://static0.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/MultiVersus-Superman-Alternate-Costumes.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=370&dpr=1.5
As cool and nerdy a pull as that would be, it doesn't exactly line up one-for-one with the guy.  Along with literally just being the first Superman pic copypasted which none of the other previews do, the chest symbol is all wrong.
Yeah, that definitely doesn't look anything like Superman Prime. Who is frequently labeled "Superman One Million" on the internet, even though he is emphatically not. Superman One Million is Kal Kent, the far future descendant of the original Superman, and who currently operates as the Superman of that time period. Superman Prime is Clark Kent, the original Superman, but specifically the version of Clark who has survived for millennia and lives in the exact same time period as Kal. Clark's just retired, and been hanging out in the sun for thousands of years, letting his descendants save the universe as his successors as Superman.
Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 05:00:39 am by Jmorphman
#71  December 13, 2021, 04:55:26 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Basically if it's in here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Warner_Bros._franchises or more importantly if it was in Space Jam 2: Let Us Remind You That 3 Corporations Own 90% Of All TV and Film it's eligible, within reason

Obviously things like Blade, The Mask, and TMNT are ineligible and Jason Vorhees is currently a legal quagmire
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#72  December 13, 2021, 05:07:31 am
    • USA
Awful?  I thought the consensus was Progressive was good, Alternative was meh.  Not that I paid much attention to the internet reception at the time, just people were asking for FLCL revivals along with Space Ghost and Boondocks, and they got one of those and were happy for a time.  My issue was Naota's entire absence outside the credits.  That was just strange.

Anyways, that's neither here nor there.  So neat to know I guess, though I'd rather have liked to see Haruhara Haruko, exceptionally much more as the token anime character slot over that RWBY bunk that's much more likely.  Something like IGPX, not that I expect a deep pull like that to show in a crossover like this, sounds like it'd have higher chances of showing I guess.

I haven't read the whole little Superman 1 Million series in a dog's age, I just remember getting it because it was the new big thing at the time going on and I thought the Superman of the Future was the one in Sun for all those years?  Guess I'm just forgetting but I thought they made a big deal over the generations the Superman of that time had gained some 13 additional senses beyond the traditional 5 human sense through a complicated set of family arrangements to continue the Kryptonian bloodline.  Then he left the Earth one day and just chilled out in the Sun after all his related kin died off and gained unlimited power and all that comic book jazz.  Eh.  Just writing it down off memory from a decade+ now sounds ridiculous and I'm sure you're correct.  I just like the golden Oscar Pepsiman set on fire design, it's silly.
#73  December 13, 2021, 05:56:53 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Awful?  I thought the consensus was Progressive was good, Alternative was meh.  Not that I paid much attention to the internet reception at the time, just people were asking for FLCL revivals along with Space Ghost and Boondocks, and they got one of those and were happy for a time.  My issue was Naota's entire absence outside the credits.  That was just strange.
One was definitely better than the other, but even the "good" one was ultimately pretty bad. And of course one can't help comparing the two with the original, which just makes them seem all the more worse...

I haven't read the whole little Superman 1 Million series in a dog's age, I just remember getting it because it was the new big thing at the time going on and I thought the Superman of the Future was the one in Sun for all those years?  Guess I'm just forgetting but I thought they made a big deal over the generations the Superman of that time had gained some 13 additional senses beyond the traditional 5 human sense through a complicated set of family arrangements to continue the Kryptonian bloodline.  Then he left the Earth one day and just chilled out in the Sun after all his related kin died off and gained unlimited power and all that comic book jazz.  Eh.  Just writing it down off memory from a decade+ now sounds ridiculous and I'm sure you're correct.  I just like the golden Oscar Pepsiman set on fire design, it's silly.
It's a little of column A, little of column B, cuz there's two future Supermen (and three Supermen total, since present day Superman is also there!). One of those future Supermen is the current holder of the title Superman (in that far off future), and who appears in most of the story: Kal Kent. The other future Superman shows up only at the very very end: the millennia old Clark Kent, who appears to be made of solid gold.

Clark Kent did indeed go live in the sun for a long ass time, and because of that, when he finally emerges, his (already existing, normal Superman) powers have been strengthened by a staggering amount. Kal Kent, the current Superman of that far off future, however, has a bunch of new powers,  because the Superman dynasty from which he is descended has married not just Kryptonians and humans together, but also 5th dimensional imps and other alien species. Kal is a descendant of all of those, and thus has a bunch of new powers like telepathy and the ability to travel to the 5th dimension by saying his name backwards.

So essentially Kal Kent a lot more powers than (present day) Clark Kent does, and for the powers they have in common, Kal's versions are insanely stronger compared to Clark's. But then when the future Clark shows up, he is supposedly meant to be as far beyond Kal as Kal was to the present day Clark (though presumably future Clark doesn't get any of those fancy new powers, it's just his old stuff buffed to infinity).
#74  December 13, 2021, 06:21:58 am
    • USA
Eh.  I liked them.  I didn't love them.  But I also probably haven't watched enough anime since 2010 to pass counting on two hands so liking them is good enough for me.  Heavy bias to the original helps too.  Is what it is I guess.

Yeah, reading that sorta brings the story back to me.  Your memory on it is just clearer than mine was.  Anyways, though, it's a shame that that isn't what the skin in the game appears to be, at least from the details that we know of.  Disregarding the story, I just like the silliness of the literal shining gold beacon Superman becomes at his supposed greatest he'll ever become, it'd make for a neat skin in the game.
#75  December 13, 2021, 08:33:25 am
    • USA
    • thelivewire48@gmail.com
i think a lot of wb studio anime like jojo may be off limit due to the fact that i'm pretty certain bandai has the license to use the jojo ip in video game form, considering that they're the only ones that make jojo games
#76  December 13, 2021, 06:16:23 pm
    • Brazil
I wonder if they'll include Mortal Kombat in this game...
#77  December 14, 2021, 12:04:05 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
I wonder if they'll include Mortal Kombat in this game...

I think they will, but they will have to balance the line between making the fans happy and keeping the rating below 'M' (despite having Arya from Game of Thrones in here...). It won't be easy, but I think they can pull it off.

Some other character ideas that I can think of...
-Since WB has the entire Hanna-Barbera animation family under their belt, it would make sense to bring in some of the older characters into this game - someone like Yogi Bear or Huckleberry Hound. Also, on that topic - one of the old school action heroes should be in here. Space Ghost or Birdman would be good options (If only for the reason that people know about Birdman was thanks to Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law).
-You cannot count out anything from the Harry Potter universe since I believe that WB has the rights for that franchise. With the next Fantastic Beasts movie set to come out next year, it makes sense to put in.. oh, at least Harry himself in the game.
#78  December 14, 2021, 02:21:05 am
    • USA
MK in this game is at least more likely than it was in Smash Bros. They'd still have to tone down a lot of what makes Mortal Kombat characters appealing, but I could see it here.  And it's not like they haven't planted the seeds for that crossover anyway.

If you're talking Hanna-Barbera, then the initial leak said that Fred Flintstone is going to be in.  Beyond that, Dick Dastardly would make a great pick for a game like this.
#79  December 14, 2021, 02:39:07 am
    • Brazil
Honestly, I don't really think MK characters are appealing is the gore, the franchise is iconic enough that it could survive without it. Besides, even if it was the case, I think people can forgive a crossover for changing that, and, like Seadragon said, they did it to Arya.
#80  December 16, 2021, 12:41:22 am
    • USA
One of the new screenshots from the Steam page showing off the training stage.

One of Finn's move would appear to involve summoning Choose Goose.  For some reason.