YesNoOk

2022 Character Updates (Read 1207841 times)

Started by PotS, January 15, 2022, 10:28:50 am
Share this topic:
Re: 2022 Character Updates (Guy and Ryu first)
#61  January 16, 2022, 04:03:44 am
  • $-$**Dreaming**$-$
    • South Korea
    • https://blog.naver.com/PostList.naver?blogId=blood72&from=postList&categoryNo=159
Welcome back to mugen POTS!
Thank you for all your contributions to us that have created a stable playstyle to enjoy.

Ryu Testing Feedback:

- Found an Intro State Bug during Turns Mode.

EDIT: Ignore all this lol theres nothing wrong with him hes awesome. my mugen was being obnoxious
Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 06:13:24 am by Zazamyon2
#62  January 16, 2022, 05:33:50 am
  • Gaming Content Creator
  • Nobody Exists
    • Bangladesh
    • aumiokhan@yahoo.com
Great Update on Ryu and Guy. And welcome back, man!
Sig 1: I am nobody... Neither you... We won't be any matter just after a few years later when we die. Enjoy the happiness and sadness for now.

Sig 2: When someone or, a bunch of people makes fun of you. The total time they invested in making fun of you, is the time they couldn't manage to stay focused on their work or, development. If you care about them, let them know. If you don't, then don't bother. Stay focused on your own business.

Sig 3: You did a mistake and then you simply admit it after realizing your fault. This is one of the coolest things ever you can do in your lifetime.
#63  January 16, 2022, 07:15:17 am
  • One of Ikemen GO devs
    • Colombia
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I checked. Also K4thos checked, it works in the last Release Candidate of 0.98.2.
So it's gonna be fixed on future releases.
But wait!! We haven't made the Suave Dude character yet!!
#64  January 16, 2022, 10:29:09 am
  • I'm a japanese mugen user. I'm not good at English
    • Japan
Nice to meet you, I'm a Japanese mugen user.
I've been playing with many of your products for a long time.
I'm also a person who creates characters based on the play style you created.

I am happy to be able to send you a message in this way.
#65  January 16, 2022, 10:41:24 am
I wonder if over the years POTS has checked out edits of his chars ppl have done like from beterhans
#66  January 16, 2022, 02:54:18 pm
  • I must continue my training...
I wonder if over the years POTS has checked out edits of his chars ppl have done like from beterhans

He has. Most people think he just resurfaced but I remember him popping up in a release thread of a "POTS" style character commenting on how he didn't expect his style to become so popular.

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
#67  January 16, 2022, 03:30:33 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Thanks again.
By the way, I guess that was ambiguous in the first post, but my only plan right now is to update stuff.

Although I’m personally not really a big fan of the white flashes during the super finish and a successful Kaze No Ken, they kind of hurt my eyes.
I understand, but for the time being I like them like that. I kept switching Kaze no Ken between white and black backgrounds and ended up choosing white. Either way 50% of players will always prefer it the other way around.

Putting the usual loud cheering and praise and actual feedback aside it's nice of you to add author addendums to your def files so we don't override another author's characters we may wanna keep.
I should've done that from the beginning, hehe.

I went and double checked to make sure I wasn't seeing things and...the movelist function does work fine on mugen 1.1, but not on Ikemen Go 0.98.1

Probably an engine issue and not an error on your end, so I'll go bug Khatos and Gacel.
Probably an issue with manipulating explods during a pause. Mugen itself gave me trouble unless I did everything the way it wanted me to. Either way good to know that's one less issue with Ikemen.

Hitsparks are okay but I feel like they could A. Be Higher-Res, B. Use Stronger Colors.
I wanted to use Mugen's default spark system for a change, so with sticking to 1.0 I had to make them lower resolution. They were high resolution when the updates were for 1.1.

- Could Joudan and Ryusokyaku (outside of Master Mode) not be HCF (the real command) instead of QCF?
Neither is strong enough to make the command needlessly complicated. I think Capcom only made them HCF to avoid issues with the classic crouching medium kick xx Hadouken.

- EX Joudan is awkward in the corner since fighters switch sides during the bounce.
Will fix.

- Shinkuu Hadouken can be problematic at times because there's points where only a few of its hitpoints will hit for certain combos.
That's intentional after you hit the juggle limit. I could just as easily make all hits either connect or miss, but I think it'd be less interesting that way.

- P2 freezes when you go from Kaze No Ken into Denjin.
Haha. Obviously not staying like that.

- Might I suggest giving Bushin Izuna Otoshi a separate command? It'll make it easier for when I want to use Izuna no Hiji Otoshi instead.
I guess that's one of those cases where it's just always been like that. It makes it different from Gouki's flip.

- Bushin Hassou Ken should launch air P2 a bit higher since it won't connect fully from, for example, Houzantou.
You're right. I tweaked that and may have made it worse. Will fix.

- Bushin Musou Renge is a bit strange with the Alpha Hitsounds.
I know what you mean, but for some reason it never sounds right to me with other hit sounds. Even when he used the CvS2 hitsounds I opened an exception there.

Other suggestions would be adding a config for A. Stun, in-case you prefer to not have it for consistency purposes, and B. Movelists, so you don't accidentally do it in a match or something.
That would certainly solve it, but I'm not a fan of config files.

I'm also conflicted by Custom Combo becoming 2 Bars. I understand that it got more time, but I feel like it needs something else to be more viable in a real match, like being able to cancel into it.
Custom Combos have dominated every game they were in, so they're hardly not viable, hehe. To me, with one bar they can be overpowered as Custom Combos always find a way to be. With three bars I'd rather just do a Shin Shoryuken or whatever. 2 bars is just right.

I lastly wonder what evilryu_preload.sff is about. Is it an Ikemen leftover by chance?
It's for Ikemen Go but it's not a leftover. It makes the game load faster or, in this case, allows me to give different portraits to a different .def file.

Hey POTS, good to see you back. Hey do you plan on giving Ryu his CvS2 CLSNs? There's tools available for getting actual data from CvS2/CFJ now. Jmorphman and a small handful of others that "carried the POTS torch" while you were gone, continued your legacy but also used those great tools that let them datamine hitboxes and velocities.
I came across Jesuszilla's work in some article about hitboxes or whatever. It made me proud of him and the Mugen scene. Felineki too, if I recall correctly. With that said, my characters are not CvS2 characters, and hitboxes are something that changes every game and sometimes several times for the same game. Unless you're trying to be accurate to a specific game, what matters is that you make them good, and I think the new ones for Ryu are much better than they were.

I feel like it'd be helpful to have the stun be visible somehow, as that's pretty vital information to the player and the opponent.
A case could be made either way, but I'm also not a fan of adding more bars to the screen. In my defense, most games don't have one.

- Found an Intro State Bug during Turns Mode.

EDIT: Ignore all this lol theres nothing wrong with him hes awesome. my mugen was being obnoxious
You still made me curious, so I went and found a stupid mistake in that intro. Easy fix.

I did it recently to find out where I could get Ryusokyaku sprites, haha.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#68  January 16, 2022, 04:41:41 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
I'm also conflicted by Custom Combo becoming 2 Bars. I understand that it got more time, but I feel like it needs something else to be more viable in a real match, like being able to cancel into it.
Custom Combos have dominated every game they were in, so they're hardly not viable, hehe. To me, with one bar they can be overpowered as Custom Combos always find a way to be. With three bars I'd rather just do a Shin Shoryuken or whatever. 2 bars is just right.

I was referring to the fact that it goes away when you take a hit, which makes it a lot more risky IMO, compared to the likes of MAX Mode.

The likes of DivineWolf/DW have made MAX Mode (Replacing CC) viable in your style by allowing EX Moves and Supers under the cost of 1 Power Bar. His works aren't online but there are backups in his release threads if you're curious. It's okay if you aren't intersted, I'm just tossing out suggestions.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#69  January 16, 2022, 05:17:44 pm
  • Ore no kobushi ga MAKANI MOERO!
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/aznpikachu215
Oh, dang! Pots is back!
Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 03:11:34 pm by aznpikachu215
#70  January 16, 2022, 05:41:42 pm
  • In a few minutes, bitch
    • Germany
Other suggestions would be adding a config for A. Stun, in-case you prefer to not have it for consistency purposes, and B. Movelists, so you don't accidentally do it in a match or something.
Being able to cancel into Custom Combo is an idea that has proven to be awful.
https://streamable.com/o379wa
Imagine Sakura being able to ShoSho without having to setup at all?
I was referring to the fact that it goes away when you take a hit, which makes it a lot more risky IMO, compared to the likes of MAX Mode.
If you pop Custom Combo on the expected situations it's either because:
a) You setup a blockstring/loop.
b) You're making a read with the invincibility and you intend to whiff punish with CC.

If it's a) you won't get interrupted because if you're using it correctly your string or combo won't end up before CC time runs out. If it's b) and you make the wrong read, it's expected to be punished just like you would if your super gets interrupted.

BTW the link is tight but you setup a CC string from Standing Light Punch.

DW

#71  January 16, 2022, 09:34:14 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
I've played an arcade run with him(Ryu), a great update indeed. A few things of note:

-Any particular reason why normal Ryu can no longer do Seichuu Nidan Tsuki? Just curious, and I do find myself missing this as I pretty much associated this with your Ryu.

-Ryu can cancel into air tatsu from j.lp/lk in CvS2. Yours used to be able to cancel from all his air normals, and I get overall why you changed it. Though it'd be nice to allow him to cancel from j.lp/lk. All the shotos can do it, and I know it isn't as useful with Ryu as opposed to Akuma or Ken, but he(Ryu) can still go into an EX DP from it.

-Some of his normals seem to allow empty(kara?)/non-hit confirm cancels. Is this something from like.... SF5 or something?  For example, I can do cr.mk and immediately do an QCF + P input, Ryu will cancel out of the cr.mk and do hadou. It's one of several, though there doesn't appear to be any consistency/pattern of which ones allow this. So, it doesn't feel intentional...? Which is why I bring it up.

I'll try out Guy and Ryu's other modes later.

The likes of DivineWolf/DW have made MAX Mode (Replacing CC) viable in your style by allowing EX Moves and Supers under the cost of 1 Power Bar. His works aren't online but there are backups in his release threads if you're curious. It's okay if you aren't intersted, I'm just tossing out suggestions.

Not being able to block and losing it when taking a hit are pretty legit, considering how powerful CC can be. Especially with the right chars and right setup. I can see where you're coming from, as you're so used to how he had it before. Though I can also see his POV as well, as I know full well how powerful CC is. I'm not sure what you're getting it with what I've done though.

Two bars at the end of the day, just makes it more "tactical"....? By that, I mean you aren't as likely to waste it, because you'll be punished more for doing so at the wrong time. More thought has to be put into when and how you use it.
#72  January 16, 2022, 10:07:35 pm
    • Zimbabwe
    • hephaistos1.wix.com/mugen-palace
POTS. Oo' Just... Thank you for everything.
And welcome back to MUGEN! :)
#73  January 17, 2022, 09:37:32 am
  • "Forgeddaboudit"
  • Squawkabilly
    • Romania
    • wf4123.neocities.org
Man, long time no see, bro... It's been a while that you're back.
#74  January 17, 2022, 05:50:22 pm
It felt awesome to download a "POTS style" character by the man himself. In fact it almost feels like a slight to call it that...

Ryu/Normal: When he starts his super tatsumaki, he leaps slightly backwards causing him to occasionally miss the first hit.

Ryu/Evil; He can hit opponents on the ground 3 times( I suspect if they don't tech or get up fast enough) with his Ryusokyaku. That's savage but is it intentional? He also slides a couple pixels forward with each level he charges his Metsu Hadoken.

Minor feedback from a guy who usually only critiques stages. But Since it's you and it's Ryu I felt it deserved a proper test. Now to check out Guy...

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
[/quote said:
#75  January 17, 2022, 09:17:38 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Also gotta ask, how come you never gave Guy his FF3 fire burst special or his rapid punch super?
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#76  January 17, 2022, 09:37:40 pm

[/quote said:
#77  January 17, 2022, 09:59:38 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
Welcome back PoTS, nice to have you back!
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#78  January 17, 2022, 11:31:43 pm
  • SNK is life
Woah, Lé POTS is back. Nice to see you again mang
#79  January 18, 2022, 07:09:58 am
  • Palette Maker + 1.1 Stage Conversion Maestro
    • USA
    • xtremeregime.weebly.com
Don't believe anyone had Phantom.of.the.Server making a return to the MUGEN scene on their bingo cards, so this is actually a nice surprise!
#80  January 18, 2022, 10:06:13 am
  • Hyper Rainbow!
    • Canada
It’s amazing to see you back. I still remembered when your Ryu was still a WIP and you wanted to make a Ryu that included everything. Now that you are back and Karma is making a new Ryu that supposedly includes everything, it’s a very wholesome deja-vu. Thank you.

A bug I noticed is that Ryu would do his usual Ken intros even against Jmorphman’s Violent Ken.