YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread (Read 2975709 times)

Started by Formerly Hoshi, April 21, 2010, 09:51:37 pm
Re: [Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread
#7261  April 17, 2022, 04:55:48 pm
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

See, there's a problem, they don't look like CvS sprites, like in the last Krauser sprite you have the pants with two colours and a dark outline (same for the skin, two tones and a dark outline), which is not how Capcom handled shading for the CvS sprites.

CvS doesn't use 8 (7+BG) colours for the sprites, it uses 16 (15+BG) colours. Make use of all of them.
Also no details on his body make it look a little empty.

This is how I made it in CvS a long time ago:

when I made it I made sure to have references near the sprites I was editing.
#7262  April 17, 2022, 06:06:11 pm
    • demongorne.webs.com/

See, there's a problem, they don't look like CvS sprites, like in the last Krauser sprite you have the pants with two colours and a dark outline (same for the skin, two tones and a dark outline), which is not how Capcom handled shading for the CvS sprites.

CvS doesn't use 8 (7+BG) colours for the sprites, it uses 16 (15+BG) colours. Make use of all of them.
Also no details on his body make it look a little empty.

This is how I made it in CvS a long time ago:

when I made it I made sure to have references near the sprites I was editing.

Definitely better than my editing.
#7263  April 17, 2022, 07:00:26 pm
Definitely better than my editing.

Does that mean you're going to improve or at least make the sprites consistent with the style, or are you just saying that to ignore everything?
#7264  April 17, 2022, 07:36:03 pm
    • demongorne.webs.com/
#7265  April 17, 2022, 09:17:23 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
Your spriting style sincerely got much worse over time. There is such a thing as "simplifying the process", then there's "stripping it away from any details", which just makes the whole thing look bland. Your new Krauser and Daimon sprites don't even look like CvS sprites anymore, they just look flat and unappealing.

There's no way around it. CvS sprites are going to take effort to go through. You can only simplify the process so much until it stops looking like CvS.

Shit
#7266  April 18, 2022, 12:32:05 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
My suggestion is to choose a character that, in terms of clothing has some similarities. In case of Daimon, Ryu is the best option, given not just the skin colour: arm definition and pants details could take some notes from our favourite shotoman. This said, try to mimic. Skin has 5 tones and trouseres has other 5. This sums 10 colours, so you still have 5 more to play with + the transparency. 1 could go to the belt, 1 for the Japanese flag, 2 for the eyes and 1 for the  hair.
I know that Capcom used 3 colours in certain characters for some areas: Athena and Rock could talk about this. But see how many parts of the main design there were. Rock's jacket has the black, white and red. Athena has white and red inthe jacket and pants. Plus both have their hair and skin different to each zone.

This said, Krauser. Pants could use 4 tones; skin, 4; hair, 3. armour, 3. There's still an empty colour to chose, et voilà, 15.

[ fades in the dark ]
I swear there was something cool here!!

DW

#7267  April 18, 2022, 03:49:44 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
I understand wanting to "cut corners" so to speak to ease some of the work on yourself, but, with something like this you have to just bite the bullet. I can only suggest taking it step by step and taking breaks when you need to, Demongorne. You are capable of doing great work. Which is apparent from your Mr. Karate and Takuma. You just have to apply yourself if you really want it done. Just take your time, there's no rush. 
#7268  April 18, 2022, 10:12:22 am
    • demongorne.webs.com/
I understand wanting to "cut corners" so to speak to ease some of the work on yourself, but, with something like this you have to just bite the bullet. I can only suggest taking it step by step and taking breaks when you need to, Demongorne. You are capable of doing great work. Which is apparent from your Mr. Karate and Takuma. You just have to apply yourself if you really want it done. Just take your time, there's no rush.

Many tahnks for your words mate, I think all of you guys are right but i still think that "less is more" in some cases, i'm referring to kakuge yaro chars that use less shades but the result is quite appreciable and similar to capcom graphic.
Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 10:25:51 am by demongorne
#7269  April 18, 2022, 11:14:21 am
  • I'm trapped in my own personal hell.
  • I'm going to kill myself.
    • USA
Kakuge Yarou ain't CVS tho.

That's not a good comparison.

I hope you aren't taking inspiration from KakYar for your more recent sprites.
#7270  April 18, 2022, 11:22:13 am

No.
Just no.

"Less is more" is not right in this case, you're just trying to find excuses to not put the actual effort in making a CvS styled sprite.
Less is more? Then make the sprites 3 colours total.
Come on.

Kakuge Yaro sprites are not CvS styled, they're not similar to Capcom's styles of sprites.

You're not trying to make CvS sprites, the other times when you posted sprites that looked like Alpha sprites you posted them here erroneously, just because Capcom did it (yeah? Then Darkstalkers sprites are CvS too, following your reasoning, but guess what? They're not).
And now you're simplifying sprites to have less colours, ruining the look of the sprite.

I think the reason you feel like you can't do anything else after the Takuma / Mr Karate sprites is because at the time you were using CvS sprites (mainly Ryu) to make them look right. Now you're trying different things, maybe you're lazy and that's fine, but you're not posting the sprites you're making in the right place.

At this point you should just open your own graphics topic and post your sprites there, there's no real reason to post your sprites here or in the other themed sprite topics if you're refusing to follow the style of the themes themselves.
#7271  April 18, 2022, 12:00:53 pm
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#7272  April 19, 2022, 04:41:59 am
References.

"Always use references"

With these kind of projects the worst you can do is wing it and get whatever result.

I will show you some options for both Goro and Krauser.

Let me say it from now that using KoF sprites to convert them to CvS2 is the worst and lamest option, not only because how obvious it is but also how popular KoF sprites are themselves, is best to search for something more "unique".

GORO

KoF Destiny

Pros:
+KoF Destiny spritestyle itself could be considered as "CvS3", is the closest to an official CvS interpretation of several KoF chars.
+Based on the original KoF style with another shading.

Cons:
-Not all frames are converted to KoF Destiny. Lacks several frames and you need to heavily convert them from KoF.
-The rips themselves are dirty and even if I did the best to clean them there are random dots here and there.

Sheets:

KoF XII

Pros:
+It has all the sprites you need and then some, you don't have to convert them all. Doesn't need to be as fluid.
+It has that "unique" look and not a simple conversion from KoF.
+KoF XII and CvS are closer styles in terms of how clean they are, palettes, proportions, etc.
+You only have to add details to the sheets I present below.
+You have already worked with this style, I still think that both Takumas you edited from KoF XII to CvS are the best ones out there.

Cons:
-It could be difficult to see where the lines that need to be defined go, that's why I annex the original size as well.
-CvS doesn't use that "absolute shadow" present in KoF XII
-The muscle definition is different to the real CvS one, Raiden is the best reference.
-I didn't reduce all colors from the palette (the belt and hair.)

Sheets:

KRAUSER

Fatal Fury

Pros:
+The "unique" feel.
+No need to re-scale the sprites.
+For CvS, CAPCOM went with the first version for some chars: Athena's first outfit, Vice's first stance, Ryo's first stance, going with Tuxedo Rugal instead of Omega Rugal, etc. (They are heavily worked of course)

Cons:
-Oldschool style so a lot of cleaning is needed and lacks several frames.
-A heavy shading is needed for it to achieve a truly CvS2 feel, and that means investing time.

*If you wonder Fatal Fury can be indeed used as a base, here's the Axel Hawk version I edited:

Real Bout Fatal Fury

Pros:
+Is a clean style which in fact could be indeed used as is and could make it into a CvS themed mugen char.

Cons:
-This version is known and is not unique.
-The feet position on the horizontal lines is different to CvS (perspective).
-Needs scaling.

----

Hope this proves to be useful, to anyone, not about the sheets, I don't expect them to be completed. But in having a different perspective when approaching conversions.

I know you want something fast and effective, since this is after all, a hobby.

But aiming for quality should be the main point, even if you take a different perspective and use "shortcuts".

#7273  April 19, 2022, 10:46:40 am
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
I did a new sprite, this time it was Heidern, I uploaded this image and will upload/update the single sprite too.

I used Kyo/Kim as a reference, Im not sure about his high, tried to make him smaller didnt work but somehow is keeps looking too tall, the sprite was made from a KoF XV screenshot.

Zorf Giudecca
Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 10:57:55 am by NiO ErZeBeTh
#7274  June 03, 2022, 09:42:10 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland

SF6 Ryu

edit: small update
Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 10:36:48 am by sabockee
#7275  June 03, 2022, 09:49:43 pm
  • Legend now but still learning
    • USA
    • http://cvsnb.deviantart.com/

#7276  June 03, 2022, 10:45:44 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
#7277  June 05, 2022, 02:36:27 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
Thanks guys and here comes another one:

SF6 Jamie
Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 10:26:34 pm by sabockee
#7278  June 05, 2022, 04:47:59 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
#7279  June 05, 2022, 05:45:52 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
I did a new sprite, this time it was Heidern, I uploaded this image and will upload/update the single sprite too.

I used Kyo/Kim as a reference, Im not sure about his high, tried to make him smaller didnt work but somehow is keeps looking too tall, the sprite was made from a KoF XV screenshot.

:smitten: that Cvs haidem is amazin.!
#7280  June 05, 2022, 07:49:44 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
Absolutely gorgeous!
Thanks again, Ned! I think there is something odd in his stance though. I need to figure out how to fix it. I'll post an update soon :P
-----------------------
Update:
I tweaked slightly the stance, ang fixed some facial traits.

Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 10:29:19 am by sabockee