Started by Magma MK-II, December 06, 2018, 01:30:24 pm
Share this topic:
Re: KoF XV
#2141  May 13, 2022, 12:49:01 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
It's really not unheard of in Japan to delay something after an incident or death because it'd be bad press. I won't say anything about DLC, I'm just saying that a delay is common enough.

But at the same time, delaying a character's inclusion just because a person the character's loosely based on passed away makes little sense either.

On top of that, I doubt a Japanese company like SNK would do anything like that for a Korean person... like delaying an entire character for that person's sake and as a Korean myself, I find that super-duper-ultra-rare or downright impossible.
Nothing against the Japanese per se, but it's just not all that common to honor a death of a foreigner from respective nations. We're not that close.

My guess is that Kim's exclusion has nothing to do with Mr. Kaphwan's untimely death. Kim's just out cuz the devs decided to leave him out.
#2142  May 13, 2022, 05:28:51 pm
Yeah my guess was always that after they reshuffled his team in XIV, they didn't know what to do with him and didn't have the time to either finish Gang Il plus a third member, or put him back with Chang and Choi. I imagine year 2 can have Kim, Gang-Il, and maybe Jhun. I'm also hoping the prisoner team is finally kept out of the game.

As for the respect thing, it depends if the guy was a friend of the team / if they had an actual relationship. Never heard of him but the Wiki text suggests they did. Imagine Nintendo paying homage to the guy who let them stay in his warehouse for an extra period through some hard times. It happens.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 05:44:47 pm by Byakko
#2143  May 13, 2022, 08:34:57 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#2144  May 13, 2022, 08:45:37 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
they're literally selling stuff that is already done and should be in the base game

That's quite a bold statement you're making.

Are you telling me that a game like KOF XV which has 39 characters in its base roster intended to have more but just decided to sell them as DLC to make a quick buck? [...]

For a game like KOF XV? That's not so much of a crazy thought, at least.
#2145  May 13, 2022, 09:33:39 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
No... It really isn't.

Saying SNK intended to create background stories, story mode cutscenes, endings, credits for all the DLC characters planned for release is just pure nonsense.
Billy, Geese were in the base roster back in XIV. They had their canonical shine (except for Yamazaki) in the previous game.

I repeat, the ONLY reason why they're here in XV is purely for gameplay reason and that people want them back. Nothing more, nothing less.
They literally have nothing to do with KOF XV and never intended to neither.
#2146  May 13, 2022, 09:37:22 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I stand steady for the idea of giving new breath to the MI cast for quite some time, at this point... Unfortunately, both the stablished roster of KOF XV + rumours regarding the next DLC teams strongly indicates that SNK still wanna keep them buried in the past. :mcry:

Like, for real... they're not even in KoF All Star, the game that manages to put freaking genderswaps and JOHN CENA as characters in there.

More like, they have no interest in bringing them to the main timeline. They have no issue using the MI characters in other things.

And KOFAS isn't exactly a good indicator fornthis seeing as they're still missing several characters still.

FYI: That's the same reason why grown up Rock is never canon or part of the main storyline and is always DLC.

That used to be the case but signs are beginning to point otherwise. XV DLC looks to be canon especially since they're going out of their way to write stories for it.
#2147  May 13, 2022, 09:54:08 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
XV DLC looks to be canon especially since they're going out of their way to write stories for it.

Ugh, then that's TERRIBLE writing on SNK's part.

Terry's official bio in Garou MOW states that he's 35 while Rock is 17. That's 18 years difference. Are you telling me that Terry, still being 24 in KOF has only 7 years of age difference with Rock (who's physical age must be at least 17) in the canon storyline???

No... that can't be right.

I think his presence is still non-canon as Terry was given his MOW outfit (which depicts him in his 30's) to fit with Rock's inclusion meaning it's a what-if scenario.
SNK isn't that stupid.
#2148  May 13, 2022, 10:04:53 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
Folks here talking about plot & time coherence in KOF... lol

I would like to know, what are you guys opinions about a Samurai Shodown trio potentially appearing as DLC?
#2149  May 13, 2022, 10:05:34 pm
    • Netherlands
Keep in my that Fatal Fury and KOF both run in a different canon (time)line
"Such Heroic Nonsense!"

#2150  May 13, 2022, 10:06:06 pm
And on the topic of KOF MI, it's because the game literally takes place after Geese's death. It happens to be the same game where Rock is a full grown adult and Terry is a bit older too. Putting characters from that time period into the same game where Geese is alive is just weird knowing that KOF XV takes place before MI. Unless the characters are solely for gameplay-only, then:
As non-canon DLC? Maybe.

Don't want to drag this further, since we've moved past the "agency" thing, but I have an addendum regarding Geese. If my memories serve me right, MI newcomers had nothing to do with Geese and he was never a focus in their storylines. (I guess, Alba being in charge of his gang group can be attributed to Geese's demise, but still). I don't think there's a need to retcon MI newcomers plot and motivations here in regards to the crime boss, a handwave at worst. If anything, that whole "Aliens" plotpoint was more important to MI and would be harder to ignore

More like, they have no interest in bringing them to the main timeline. They have no issue using the MI characters in other things.

Care to elaborate? I haven't seen MI newcomers anywhere since 00's.
#2151  May 13, 2022, 10:17:29 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
I would like to know, what are you guys opinions about a Samurai Shodown trio potentially appearing as DLC?
As with any other DLC characters that don't impact the main storyline due to chronological inconsistencies and lack of agency, it'll be fine.
If my memories serve me right, MI newcomers had nothing to do with Geese and he was never a focus in their storylines. (I guess, Alba being in charge of his gang group can be attributed to Geese's demise, but still). I don't think there's a need to retcon MI newcomers plot and motivations here in regards to the crime boss, a handwave at worst.
You're right, they don't. But Geese's death is still a pivotal point in KOF & Fatal Fury's timelines (which happen to be the same universe) so anything that happens in the future should not make any canonical return into the past unless there's a time machine, in which there is none except for our good pal Verse.

Just to remind you, Alba Meira is 22 years old when KOF MI happens which is set over a decade after KOF. So that means they have to declare that it's a completely different Alba that has nothing to do with KOF MI's iteration or retcon him so hard that it's going to end up like KOF XV's Rock Howard's inclusion where logic is thrown out the window even on SNK's standards.

Whichever the case may be, both don't seem to be feasible options SNK is willing to take. Mind you, it took them over two decades to reintroduce K9999 to KOF, but he's hella popular. Alba (or most of the MI cast) isn't really a fan favorite if you get the drift.
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2022/jan/10/kof15-dlc-most-wanted/
#2152  May 13, 2022, 10:31:28 pm
Just to remind you, Alba Meira is 22 years old when KOF MI happens which is set over a decade after KOF. So that means they have to declare that it's a completely different Alba that has nothing to do with KOF MI's iteration or retcon him so hard that it's going to end up like KOF XV's Rock Howard's inclusion where logic is thrown out the window even on SNK's standards.

This is King of Fighters we're talking about, series, where no one ever ages. Look at Athena in MI.

Whichever the case may be, both don't seem to be feasible options SNK is willing to take. Mind you, it took them over two decades to reintroduce K9999 to KOF, but he's hella popular. Alba (or most of the MI cast) isn't really a fan favorite if you get the drift.
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2022/jan/10/kof15-dlc-most-wanted/

Yes. Like I've said:

But for real, we're not getting them. That sudden Falcoon departure from SNK as MI3 was planned for 7th gen consoles, must've been result of something ugly happening behind the doors. It took how long SNK to get over Eolith? We would have to double that, and that would still be pretty generous.

...and yet with this whole wibbly wobbly timely wimely things going on in KoF story, reaching into the darkest space, the door has never been more open for characters from MI series. Hell, even newcomers from KoF EX could work!

But, the only way SNK shattered my expectations so far, with their main course being to max out nostalgia factor, is by not shattering my expectations. I'm not talking about just the MI cast, but regarding overall roster picks.

EDIT: I also want to correct myself on the "lazy asset reuse", to not sound entitled. It's fine, but the whole thing just goes against the aforementioned tagline the game is so heavily presented with.
Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 10:34:47 pm by GreenZed
#2153  May 13, 2022, 10:39:47 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
I mean, they could literally revamp unused MI assets (i.e. character designs) and make new characters as homages to the MI characters. I guess that could work.
It's SNK we're talking about where they brought the infamous K9999 back into the franchise, so who knows? Only time will tell.
#2154  May 13, 2022, 11:20:41 pm
    • Brazil
I'll never understand why bringing those two girls from Nakoruru's team in KoF XIV is considered fine, despite nobody giving a shit about them or their games, but people still see the idea of bringing characters from KoF MI or KoF EX as too absurd to happen, doesn't make any sense. I hate to see those characters being wasted, if it were for me, I'd bring characters from those games and even from that dating sim that SNK made, that shit is KoF too, isn't it?
#2155  May 13, 2022, 11:57:08 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
You mean Mui Mui and Love Heart? Well, that's because they were never meant to be taken seriously. Nakoruru was probably there for the new SamSho game (which was being worked on right after KOF XIV) and the other two were simply there to show off SNK's IP licenses. It's like the Joker being in MK 11. Why? cuz he can and NRS happens to own the rights too. Nobody takes him seriously though.

KOF MI and EX are a little different as they are literal spinoffs of the main KOF series. People want the characters to feel authentic as possible without changing their core values when they get reintroduced. Look at Sindel. Yeah, she's back but she was retconned to bits in MK 11 Aftermath and people hate it regardless of her making it in.

It's not whether or not the characters are physically there. If those characters are to be taken seriously (as they should, since MI and EX all have solid plots), they need to switch over nicely without ruining their characterization in the process.
#2156  May 14, 2022, 12:01:08 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
XV DLC looks to be canon especially since they're going out of their way to write stories for it.

Ugh, then that's TERRIBLE writing on SNK's part.

Terry's official bio in Garou MOW states that he's 35 while Rock is 17. That's 18 years difference. Are you telling me that Terry, still being 24 in KOF has only 7 years of age difference with Rock (who's physical age must be at least 17) in the canon storyline???

No... that can't be right.

I think his presence is still non-canon as Terry was given his MOW outfit (which depicts him in his 30's) to fit with Rock's inclusion meaning it's a what-if scenario.
SNK isn't that stupid.

KOF timeline works differently. It was originally meant to happen annually, but characters age barely changed.

Care to elaborate? I haven't seen MI newcomers anywhere since 00's.

Card Fighters Clash DS and Days of Memories had MI characters. There are MI cards for KOF x Fatal Fury. Yes, that's a thing.
And shortly after 14's release, SNK worked with a cafe franchise in Japan to have KOF themed cafes for some time and Alba was one of the characters featured.

They have no problem using MI characters, they just choose not to use them for mainline. With that said, Rock was on the same situation until they decided to ditch that and bring him over for 14 and 15 even if he was DLC. Now KOF EX characters on the other hand...
#2157  May 14, 2022, 12:15:49 am
    • Brazil
I suppose MI characters showing up is a matter of time, then, I guess. Sucks for EX characters, someone like Miu could become much more popular if she made it to a main game.
#2158  May 16, 2022, 11:47:15 pm
  • Mingnon Wins yay!
    • USA
    • www.webs.com/videoman190
It is all about popularity unlike Capcom SNK owns most of its characters. It is all about fan demand. They could add Billy's sister Lilly who was originally from fatal fury.
#2159  May 17, 2022, 01:26:21 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
#2160  May 18, 2022, 12:55:28 am
  • Mingnon Wins yay!
    • USA
    • www.webs.com/videoman190