YesNoOk

Hoshikuro/Evil Dan - Current Ver: 4.3c beta (Read 46109 times)

Started by Nocturnis, July 03, 2022, 10:41:04 pm
Share this topic:
Hoshikuro/Evil Dan - Current Ver: 4.3c beta
New #1  July 03, 2022, 10:41:04 pm
  • I dress like your Great Great Grandfather.
LOCKED. Beta over. The file will remain up until the next release. Please PM bugs to me if you find them. :)

Alright so... Normally I wouldn't put a beta release in Releases, but I don't know when I'm going to have more chances/time to work on this character. I'm also a wee bit burnt out. I've been fooling with it for about 2-3 weeks.

This is a version of Evil Dan I was working on over 14 years ago. Details are here for your reading pleasure.

I still have a lot of work to do, so things are subject to change in future versions. The evil bubbles of doom on Shun Goku Satsu grab, for instance, are placeholders. There's redundancies in the sff, air, and probably in the code as well that have yet to be removed. The CLSNs are reeeally unfinished. You get the idea.

Screenies in Spoilers!
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Readme in spoiler below.

Note: THIS IS THE FINAL BETA RELEASE.
If you still want to report bugs it's totally fine. I'll make sure I address them all - but don't expect another quick fix right away.

[Updated 7/12/22]
4.3c (hotfix) Beta Build Here

If someone wants to host it on a more reliable site, feel free to do so. I won't complain.

Current Bugs I'm aware of:
Afterimages not being destroyed properly.
Damage scaling is still wonky.
The AI isn't super difficult, but it is uh-- well, it's a cheater. Sorry.
Screenedge issues with various attacks.
Explods behaving strangely in Team mode & Watch mode.
Messatsu Buraiken "woosh" sfx missing for attacks being thrown out.

Changelog for Version 4.3c beta

Current Changelog for Ver 4.3 beta*silly errors fixed.

*Thank you to Trololo, Raging Rowen, and Vegaz_Parrelli for helping find bugs/problems.

Hope he's fun to play with!

Oh, and throw is Forward/Back+X+A.
Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 08:35:45 pm by Nocturnis
Re: Hoshikuro/Evil Dan - Current Ver: 4.2c Beta
#2  July 04, 2022, 12:55:01 am
  • Nostalgic Addic
  • Working...
    • USA
    • https://www.youtube.com/@NessTheAvatar
trying him now!
#3  July 04, 2022, 01:02:23 am
  • "Forgeddaboudit"
  • Squawkabilly
    • Romania
    • wf4123.neocities.org
Kind of supreme work you made.
#4  July 04, 2022, 01:48:12 pm
#5  July 04, 2022, 03:37:49 pm
  • Objection! Sustained!
    • Russia
    • mitia.pogorelov1@yandex.ru
It's actually pretty worthy for a beta. Congrats on release here.
And here is a fair suggestion, aka feedback: you better put your CMD codes for Super Moves over the rest (aka the CMD Codes for Specials and Normals). Why? Because the way it is Shinkuu Gadoken is unreasonably hard to do. Putting it where it belongs fixed the problem though.
#6  July 04, 2022, 04:41:47 pm
It's actually pretty worthy for a beta. Congrats on release here.
And here is a fair suggestion, aka feedback: you better put your CMD codes for Super Moves over the rest (aka the CMD Codes for Specials and Normals). Why? Because the way it is Shinkuu Gadoken is unreasonably hard to do. Putting it where it belongs fixed the problem though.

No wonder!! I was absolutely lost as to why it was so hard to do!! Thank you so much, I didn't realize there was an order prioritization.
#7  July 04, 2022, 05:38:31 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home

Gave him a shot for the hell of it. Here's what I have to say:
1. No rapid lights, I assume?
2. I kinda wish he has Special-to-Super cancels.
3. Medium and (Stand) Heavy Punches should be Special/Super-Cancellable.
4. I'm not too sure about normals cancelling into his Launcher since it isn't really a command normal.
5A. Speaking of, the Launcher should have P2 auto-recover at the peak of their flight, since it currently leads to an infinite of sorts that lasts until he runs out of Air Juggle.
5B. You could also combat this by adding a sort of custom juggle system like what PotS does.
5C. You should also increase the timing window for cancelling into the high jump so it's easier to get a full Air Combo.
6A. His Gadouken's damage difference between button variants is too drastic, plus, the LP version does barely anything to be worthwhile.
6B. Each Gadouken button strength shares the same animation which gives no reason to use LP and MP which should be faster (with LP being fastest) to make up for less damage.
6C. One more suggestion would be leaving the knockdown for the rare flash variant instead of giving invincibility, which means, if it's safe on hit, you can essentially give him his infamous SFV infinite which ends when the gets the rare version.
7. Koryuken's command(s) doesn't have ~ at the start unlike his other specials with make the command less lenient than the others.
8. I kinda wish Messatsu Koryuurekka would upgrade to 3 DPs instead of 2 for the LVL3.
9. I wish you could cancel into his Taunt, since that's a silly lil' Dan mechanic IMO. Plus, if you add some sort of hit to it, you could do some additionally silly combos.
The next 3 segments are dedicated to potential new moves.
10. I kinda wish he had some sort of Zanku Gadouken for the fun of it.
11. Seeing the Dan is basically an SNK parody, you could follow up on this by parodying Mr. Karate (the Kyokugen boss) by giving him SF4's Haoh Gadouken, that would be thrown 3 times if it were a Level 3 akin to Karate in SvC Chaos.
12. The "new Hisshou Buraiken" super you wanted to add gave me an idea. How about essentially turning it into a Shippu Jinrai Kyaku of sorts by making it move forward before the final DP.

In the end, I can safely say this lad has hella potential. Not bad going for a beta as Trololo said.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#8  July 04, 2022, 06:00:51 pm
-snip-

Outstanding points.

1. I'm still messing about with rapid lights, actually. Not happy with them just yet, but I will keep playing with timing on them.

2-3. Not all cancels haven't been implemented yet, sorry about that. But, I agree - they need to be there.

4-5b. I agree his launcher still needs work, especially with the problematic infinites. Right now, yes, I'm relying on Juggle count to cancel him out of that. It's just a bandaid for now. I don't like the way it easily triggers by mistake instead of a gadouken/koryuken/etc. I'm not terribly familiar with PotS's code, but any mores suggestions on how to fix it are more than welcome.

5c. Yep. Superjump kinda sucks right now. lol. I think you're right about the timing here.

6a-c. What else do you think I should do to help with the Gadouken aside from the flash variant knockdown (I like that idea btw). It's been a strange journey with that move.

7. Oops. I'll fix that.

8. I like the idea - what do you think I should do to the third string to make it stand out? I want to avoid flames if at all possible.

9. I really want to add this as well, but I'm uncertain how I want to approach it. I was toying with the idea of taunt variants via directional input - each with different hit properties like a knockup or pull-in effect. What do you think?

10. I'm open to ideas on an air fireball. It was difficult for me to come up with something Dan-like, as his Gadouken typically fizzles out. Maybe a gadouken that propels him backward and up into the air?

11. Not going to lie... I'm burnt out on sprite editing right now. I thought the same thing. I just don't want to tackle it right now. :mlol:

12. If I'm understanding correctly - do you mean to have Dan do sort of spinning Dan Kuu's into a Koryuken?

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!
#9  July 04, 2022, 07:29:15 pm
    • UK

-snip-

Outstanding points.

1. I'm still messing about with rapid lights, actually. Not happy with them just yet, but I will keep playing with timing on them.

2-3. Not all cancels haven't been implemented yet, sorry about that. But, I agree - they need to be there.

4-5b. I agree his launcher still needs work, especially with the problematic infinites. Right now, yes, I'm relying on Juggle count to cancel him out of that. It's just a bandaid for now. I don't like the way it easily triggers by mistake instead of a gadouken/koryuken/etc. I'm not terribly familiar with PotS's code, but any mores suggestions on how to fix it are more than welcome.

5c. Yep. Superjump kinda sucks right now. lol. I think you're right about the timing here.

6a-c. What else do you think I should do to help with the Gadouken aside from the flash variant knockdown (I like that idea btw). It's been a strange journey with that move.

7. Oops. I'll fix that.

8. I like the idea - what do you think I should do to the third string to make it stand out? I want to avoid flames if at all possible.

9. I really want to add this as well, but I'm uncertain how I want to approach it. I was toying with the idea of taunt variants via directional input - each with different hit properties like a knockup or pull-in effect. What do you think?

10. I'm open to ideas on an air fireball. It was difficult for me to come up with something Dan-like, as his Gadouken typically fizzles out. Maybe a gadouken that propels him backward and up into the air?

11. Not going to lie... I'm burnt out on sprite editing right now. I thought the same thing. I just don't want to tackle it right now. :mlol:

12. If I'm understanding correctly - do you mean to have Dan do sort of spinning Dan Kuu's into a Koryuken?

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!

6. I supposed instead of making it invincible it could simply get a lil' extra distance. To make each special flash variant unique, I could suggest giving Koryuhiji the ability to ground bounce on the 2nd hit replacing invincibility.

8. I wouldn't suggest anything special. Dan never did 3 DP's in a row in source games anyways so it would be nice to see him gain one for a change.

9. Seems like a fair idea to me.

On the subject of Taunts, I'm surprised he lacks a Chouhatsu Densetsu. Perhaps with it he could be Asura Warping instead of Rolling.

10. Well in my head the fizzing out is all I really had in mind, nut perhaps for the flash variant he can throw 2, Shin style!

12. Not really, just the original animation with added movement to each attack so it could have better range.
WIP Schedule:
#10  July 05, 2022, 01:27:09 am
Okay so.. regarding the combo chains. I took a look at the cmd file and realized what a train wreck it is from so long ago. I think my main focus will now be getting the chains back into working order. It's ridiculously unfinished as of right now.
#11  July 07, 2022, 05:10:53 pm
I did a few updates based on feedback and there's a new beta available. Link in OP.

Of course there's still a lot more work to be done. However, if you discover any glaring problems or even things you think aren't functioning properly, let me know about them and I'll add them to the list. Thanks for trying him out, and as always if you want to host the file you are more than welcome to. Not really a fan of Mediafire, but I don't have another option just now.
#12  July 07, 2022, 05:41:34 pm
    • UK

It seems most of the complaints I had have been omitted. Good stuff.
2 things I noticed.
1. Shinkuu Gadouken's hitpause on the projectile is kinda weird since it lasts long enough to outlast the projectile itself.
2. You can, for some reason, do HP Gadouken in the Air which makes his stand in mid-air. https://streamable.com/gbfbzm
WIP Schedule:
#13  July 07, 2022, 07:12:12 pm
It seems most of the complaints I had have been omitted. Good stuff.
2 things I noticed.
1. Shinkuu Gadouken's hitpause on the projectile is kinda weird since it lasts long enough to outlast the projectile itself.
2. You can, for some reason, do HP Gadouken in the Air which makes his stand in mid-air. https://streamable.com/gbfbzm

1. Left over from testing. My fault.
2. Oops. LOL! I wasn't seeing how high a stage could go for fun, honest. I deleted the triggerall = statetype != A from the cmd on accident :P

I'll correct that and reupload very soon today. *Fixed.

Thank you.

Edit: Also, if anyone has a better idea for a functioning name than Hoshikuro feel free to suggest. Evil Dan X?
I know having multiple versions of a character in anyone's select.def can be annoying when the names don't make sense.
Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 07:37:38 pm by Nocturnis
Re: Hoshikuro/Evil Dan - Current Ver: 4.3 beta
#14  July 08, 2022, 07:47:30 pm
  • I must continue my training...
Solid Character. His Dan Kuu Kyaku can lead to an infinite particularly with his launcher 2HP.

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
Re: Hoshikuro/Evil Dan - Current Ver: 4.3 beta
#15  July 08, 2022, 09:35:44 pm
Solid Character. His Dan Kuu Kyaku can lead to an infinite particularly with his launcher 2HP.

Thank you! Launcher will be tech recoverable in the next version, thanks for letting me know about that.
Re: Hoshikuro/Evil Dan - Current Ver: 4.3c beta
#16  July 11, 2022, 11:40:41 pm
There's a new version available here!

Messatsu Buraiken (Levels 1-3) and Messatsu Haoh Gadouken (Level 3) have been added.
A few bug fixes, tweaks, weird ideas and all that.

It may be a while before the next update, though. Hopefully this is good enough for some of you for now. :)

Thanks for giving him a try.
#17  July 12, 2022, 01:14:09 am
    • UK

1. His throw isn't possible with LP+LK on its own.
2. Found an issue with Launcher recovery. It's fine on its own but when you juggle into the Launcher, the recovery won't happen and an infinite occurs: https://streamable.com/hl9tpj
3. Might I suggest giving Koryuken's first hit a slightly longer hitpause, so it's easier to do super cancels?
4A. IMO Messatsu Buraiken should be QCBx2 instead of QCFx2 to match the original command.
4B. I find it kinda odd that Messatsu Buraiken ends with a Haoh Gadouken even though it's its own super. I think a more sensical finisher, if you wanna be custom with it, would be his Koryuhiji.
4C. I feel like the animation and hits should be faster to match the Buraiken in the original games.
5A. I feel like Messatsu Haoh Gadouken's command should be F,HCF parodying the Shokoken command. I also don't get why its done with LP+MP but not the other 2P combinations.
5B. I think I funny touch for Messatsu Haoh Gadouken would be, making him get blown back like in SF4, but here the blowback is so big, he wallbounces himself, so it's easily punishable if it doesn't hit.
6A. Might I suggest adding shortcuts for his Raging Demon? (e.g. x, x, F+a, z)
6B. I think a good touch for his Raging Demon would be making the last hit a reference to his Otoko Michi where he blows up him and the opponent.

One more lil' thing: Do you need more voice clips for him? I could lower the pitch of his SFA ones if so.
I'm getting more torn to the project, and I'm still noticing some odd moment with him. I'm still glad I'm helping in the improvement process.
WIP Schedule:
#18  July 12, 2022, 03:24:01 pm
I've uploaded a hotfix for the 5010 bug. It was causing him to throw a level 3 out during a gethitstate, sorry about that. I goofed.

1. His throw isn't possible with LP+LK on its own.
2. Found an issue with Launcher recovery. It's fine on its own but when you juggle into the Launcher, the recovery won't happen and an infinite occurs: https://streamable.com/hl9tpj
3. Might I suggest giving Koryuken's first hit a slightly longer hitpause, so it's easier to do super cancels?
4A. IMO Messatsu Buraiken should be QCBx2 instead of QCFx2 to match the original command.
4B. I find it kinda odd that Messatsu Buraiken ends with a Haoh Gadouken even though it's its own super. I think a more sensical finisher, if you wanna be custom with it, would be his Koryuhiji.
4C. I feel like the animation and hits should be faster to match the Buraiken in the original games.
5A. I feel like Messatsu Haoh Gadouken's command should be F,HCF parodying the Shokoken command. I also don't get why its done with LP+MP but not the other 2P combinations.
5B. I think I funny touch for Messatsu Haoh Gadouken would be, making him get blown back like in SF4, but here the blowback is so big, he wallbounces himself, so it's easily punishable if it doesn't hit.
6A. Might I suggest adding shortcuts for his Raging Demon? (e.g. x, x, F+a, z)
6B. I think a good touch for his Raging Demon would be making the last hit a reference to his Otoko Michi where he blows up him and the opponent.

One more lil' thing: Do you need more voice clips for him? I could lower the pitch of his SFA ones if so.
I'm getting more torn to the project, and I'm still noticing some odd moment with him. I'm still glad I'm helping in the improvement process.

1. Reserved for another throw.
2. This is techable for p2. AI or a player should be able to handle it during a combo gap.
3. Yep. I'll take a look at it.
4. Couldn't remember the original command. :P
4b. Y u no like? I like!
4c. I may speed it up and add additional normals. Right now it's more important that the move is there and progress is made.
5a. Couldn't remember the original command. Consider this just a placehold command, again more important it cane be done than not.
5b. Trying to avoid comedy in this Dan. Think of this one as an alternate "What if?" What if Evil Dan wasn't a joke?
6a. I thought I had already >.< I'll fix that.
6b. See 5b. I'm also pretty pleased with the SGS as it is. Thank you for the suggestions, though. :)

I haven't added much sound yet because it's not high priority. I've got a whooole collection for when I do. I also don't want to deal with installing Cubase because I'm secretly afraid all of my license usb dongles aren't functioning anymore :X. I'll get to it either way.
#19  July 12, 2022, 03:54:50 pm
    • UK

4b. Y u no like? I like!
I guess you could somewhat tie it to how Takuma uses a Shokoken at the end of his Ryuko Ranbu, but I just feel as if it's inconsistent super-level-paired-with-animation wise if that makes sense.

5b. Trying to avoid comedy in this Dan. Think of this one as an alternate "What if?" What if Evil Dan wasn't a joke?
If he's not a joke he isn't really Dan anymore IMO, seeing that he's supposed to be a parody/comic relief insert, and in his version's context, I feel like he should parody boss chars/modes.
In that case, I suppose a good 2nd option would me making him to out of breath after the attack, akin to Violent Ken's Shinbu Messatsu, assuming he basically throws all his energy into the attack.

I think the timing on the Demon is kinda strange as well. I'm mainly referring to the black screen taking a bit too long to leave after the final hit.
I also noticed an issue with his Messatsu Gadouken where the first hit before the projectile doesn't have enough hittime so P2 can block the projectile if hit before it.
WIP Schedule:
#20  July 21, 2022, 07:46:02 am
  • I can take'em out with my fists
will we get a cvs version of him?