YesNoOk

Shingo (featuring a brand new CvS sprite set by Troy!); Joe updated (2023/01/22) (Read 167297 times)

Started by Jmorphman, January 01, 2023, 03:58:19 am
Share this topic:
Shingo (featuring a brand new CvS sprite set by Troy!); Joe updated (2023/01/22)
#1  January 01, 2023, 03:58:19 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Walk in the park...!!! J-just kidding. Medic!

video preview #1
video preview #2

It wasn't supposed to be like this, honest. I just assumed I'd barely finish the beta in time for Christmas, and then I'd be able eventually get around to finishing off the little things remaining sometime in January. Or February, if I'm being more honest :ninja:. But instead I finished up the beta way faster than I thought. The coding of this character went by far too fast; it's always my favorite part, but instead the more frustrating bits (assembling the sff, CSing, fixing the voice samples, etc.) always takes me so much longer.

So the beta came out a little early... and then I couldn't keep myself away from tweaking and fixing stuff after it came out. And Christmas and New Year's both falling on weekends meant I had a whole entire week off in the middle. And so I kinda... accidentally ended up finishing the character in the last few hours of 2022.

This character wasn't supposed to take this long. But it's finally done. Finally.

UPDATED
- Fixed the thought bubble in the turns intro, which was displaying incorrectly
 - The thought bubble used in various intros, default taunt, and Kamukura were incorrectly not bound to Shingo; they now are locked in
   place relative to his position
 - Added custom hit states for the upward launching kicks in Oboro Guruma Mikansei; this should help all hits connect, even against
   opponents who erroneously apply a VelAdd twice on a single tick multiple times as they are falling.

Joe update released
Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 05:39:45 am by Jmorphman
Re: Shingo Yabuki (featuring a brand new CvS sprite set by Troy!)
#2  January 01, 2023, 04:25:00 am
    • USA
    • lndnrivers@yahoo.com
Thanks Jmorph for your hard work and the character that is Shingo.
#3  January 01, 2023, 04:33:17 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Congrats on the release, and since here is already 2023, happy new year!
#4  January 01, 2023, 04:56:03 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
Eyyyy, grats on the release! Can't wait to try him out.

Happy New Year, fam. Peace!
#5  January 01, 2023, 05:27:40 am
    • Brazil
Its always amazing to see stuff from great creators come out, even if it takes long. Its not every day we see "PotS-style" creations that are actually good.
Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 05:32:56 am by Macaulyn97
#6  January 01, 2023, 06:16:44 am
  • I'm trapped in my own personal hell.
  • I'm going to kill myself.
    • USA
Jmorphman Development Troubles 2: Electric Boogaloo
#7  January 01, 2023, 07:26:28 am
    • Argentina
    • leoos_004@hotmail.com

:bison:  You're the best

Happy New Year!!
#8  January 01, 2023, 09:45:27 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Thanks for the release!
The day had come! What a great "accident" ;)

Happy new year!!

What a great character.
It really gives the feeling of something official...
You guys did a great job with sprites and coding.
What of the best characters I played in that style!

Feedback from a non-pro gamer :

-.101 Shiki: Oboro Guruma Mikansei
Seems like the strong/hard version of the move sometimes misses hit on the 3rd part.
Like if the 2nd part don't lunch high enough sometimes. So 3rd part jumps high with an opponent not high enough.
I cannot say what make the launcher lower sometimes on 2nd part of the move.
(I tested with different enemies)

-.100 Shiki: Oniyaki Mikansei
For this one I'm not sure either, but seems like the medium version of the move don't go higher enough compared to light and strong version.
IMO, it needs just a little tweak.
But perhaps it's just an illusion.
#9  January 01, 2023, 10:45:58 am
  • "Forgeddaboudit"
  • Squawkabilly
    • Romania
    • wf4123.neocities.org
This time, this must be the best Shingo in M.U.G.E.N. history, so I guess it's good to release it.
#10  January 01, 2023, 11:16:31 am
    • senorfro.deviantart.com/
This guy hits like a truck, which makes sense, but dang some of his combos can do damage.

I am curious as to why the normal version of 'Shingo Kinsei Ore Shiki: Nie Togi' is blockable, as it was never that way in source
#11  January 01, 2023, 11:21:09 am
I'm gonna ask an odd question, but, uh, does this counts as a December release in your part of the world, Jmorphman? Or is it going to be a January one? Asking for COTM purposes.
#12  January 01, 2023, 03:17:38 pm
  • "I'm Bal... I'm Veg...*Sigh* Just call me 'Claw'."
Cool way to end the year!

Thank you for this!  :bjugoi:
"Remember kids; Curiosity created MUGEN!"

Check Out Cammy-Delta-Red-Development HERE
#13  January 01, 2023, 05:06:31 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
I'm gonna ask an odd question, but, uh, does this counts as a December release in your part of the world, Jmorphman? Or is it going to be a January one? Asking for COTM purposes.

It counts as a december release. It has happened before, and the rules iirc is that the time that counts is the timezone of the author. Since he said last few hours of 2022, in his timezone it was still december.
#14  January 01, 2023, 10:33:19 pm
    • Brazil
I have a question: how do I alter the commands of the character? Some of those commands are really bad for me to use in a keyboard.
#15  January 02, 2023, 08:58:27 pm
  • Far away from home
    • France
It's not really the good place to ask for this (you should try general Mugen help). But one easy way to change the command is to edit the *.cmd file (edit = open it with a simple texte editor, like Notepad). There you'll find the moves and their commands, where you can try things. One hint : save the initial *.cmd file in order to get it back, in case your changes "break" something.
#16  January 03, 2023, 12:31:56 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
It's not really the good place to ask for this (you should try general Mugen help). But one easy way to change the command is to edit the *.cmd file (edit = open it with a simple texte editor, like Notepad). There you'll find the moves and their commands, where you can try things. One hint : save the initial *.cmd file in order to get it back, in case your changes "break" something.

The thing is this character don't use the conventional MUGEN command system, it uses a custom buffer system.
#17  January 03, 2023, 01:11:48 am
    • USA
Thanks for all the feedback!

Here's some extras:
 - A deeply mysterious, possibly cursed "upgrade" that purports to be a vision of the future. Caveat emptor.

- A patch for the old 2010 version of PotS's Sakura, to add intro compatibility. I know some people are sticking with this old version so I thought I might as well put out a patch. The new, actually updated versions don't need me to provide patches anymore, of course!

-.101 Shiki: Oboro Guruma Mikansei
Seems like the strong/hard version of the move sometimes misses hit on the 3rd part.
Like if the 2nd part don't lunch high enough sometimes. So 3rd part jumps high with an opponent not high enough.
I cannot say what make the launcher lower sometimes on 2nd part of the move.
(I tested with different enemies)
Which characters does it fail on? I would also recommend replacing your common1.cns with a fixed version that gets rid of the VelAdd bug in the hit states. It causes the opponent to fall faster than they should. In most circumstances this isn't all that noticeable (a single hit attack would probably only have the enemy hit the floor a few ticks earlier than they should), but Shingo's Oboro Gurama is so drawn out that the erroneous, duplicated VelAdds really add up fast.

-.100 Shiki: Oniyaki Mikansei
For this one I'm not sure either, but seems like the medium version of the move don't go higher enough compared to light and strong version.
IMO, it needs just a little tweak.
But perhaps it's just an illusion.
It goes up exactly as high as Kyo's version does; the initial vels are -11.25, -8.75, and -6.25 for HP, MP, and LP respectively. The MP version ends up being the exact midpoint between the LP and MP versions.

I am curious as to why the normal version of 'Shingo Kinsei Ore Shiki: Nie Togi' is blockable, as it was never that way in source
Nie Togi is a proximity unblockable in KOF, and those don't really exist in any other game (and I personally find them to be a strange concept in general). I opted to make it a normal attack à la Ryo's HCB+p move in CvS2: that was also a proximity unblockable in KOF, but Capcom made it into a normal attack. I also made the EX versions of both moves command throws, harkening back in a way to their proximity unblockable origins.

I have a question: how do I alter the commands of the character? Some of those commands are really bad for me to use in a keyboard.
Which commands need changing? The buffering system is not exactly intuitive to mess around with so it'll probably be easier for me to showcase what needs changing.
#18  January 03, 2023, 02:02:34 am
    • Brazil
The quarter circle back + half circle forward command and the double half circle backward command.
#19  January 03, 2023, 03:38:45 am
    • USA
level 3 is now performed with QCFx2+2p; Burning Shingo is QCFx2+k. Just replace the relevant ChangeStates in Command.cmd with these:

Code:
[State -1, Shingo Kinsei Ore Shiki: Kamukura]
type = ChangeState
value = 3200
triggerAll = !AILevel
;command = "QCB, QCB"
triggerAll = (ifElse(P2dist x < 0, Facing = -1, Facing = 1) && NumExplod(90030114)) || (ifElse(P2dist x < 0, Facing = 1, Facing = -1) && NumExplod(90030016))
;x + y / x + z / y + z
triggerAll = (ifElse(NumExplod(90000200), 1, 0) + ifElse(NumExplod(90000210), 1, 0) + ifElse(NumExplod(90000220), 1, 0) >= 2) || (ifElse(NumExplod(90000205), 1, 0) + ifElse(NumExplod(90000215), 1, 0) + ifElse(NumExplod(90000225), 1, 0) >= 2)
triggerAll = RoundState = 2 && StateType != A && !NumProjID(131035)
triggerAll = power >= 3000 && !var(20)
trigger1 = ctrl || StateNo = 40 || StateNo = 52 || (StateNo = [100,101])
trigger2 = var(7)

Code:
[State -1, MAX Burning Shingo]
type = ChangeState
value = 3150
triggerAll = !AILevel
;command = "QCF, QCF"
triggerAll = (ifElse(P2dist x < 0, Facing = -1, Facing = 1) && NumExplod(90030016)) || (ifElse(P2dist x < 0, Facing = 1, Facing = -1) && NumExplod(90030114))
;a + b / a + c / b + c
triggerAll = (ifElse(NumExplod(90000230), 1, 0) + ifElse(NumExplod(90000240), 1, 0) + ifElse(NumExplod(90000250), 1, 0) >= 2) || (ifElse(NumExplod(90000235), 1, 0) + ifElse(NumExplod(90000245), 1, 0) + ifElse(NumExplod(90000255), 1, 0) >= 2)
triggerAll = power >= 2000 && var(20) <= 60
trigger2 = var(7) || var(8)

Code:
[State -1, Burning Shingo]
type = ChangeState
value = 3100
triggerAll = !AILevel
;command = "QCF, QCF"
triggerAll = (ifElse(P2dist x < 0, Facing = -1, Facing = 1) && NumExplod(90030016)) || (ifElse(P2dist x < 0, Facing = 1, Facing = -1) && NumExplod(90030114))
;a / b / c
triggerAll = NumExplod(90000230) || NumExplod(90000235) || NumExplod(90000240) || NumExplod(90000245) || NumExplod(90000250) || NumExplod(90000255)
triggerAll = power >= 1000 && var(20) <= 60
trigger2 = var(7)
#20  January 03, 2023, 03:44:36 am
    • Brazil
Thank you! I'd change it myself if you used the conventional command style, but with this one, I got completely lost.