YesNoOk

Mortal Kombat 1 (2023) (Read 313349 times)

Started by Macaulyn97, February 24, 2023, 12:22:56 am
Share this topic:
Re: Mortal Kombat 1 (2023)
#81  May 22, 2023, 08:40:08 pm
    • Brazil
After John Tobias left the franchise, creativity for new MK games ended.
MK9 is a great game because it's MK, MK2, MK3 with story changes.

I'm pretty disappointed with this MK reboot  :'(

? The game hasn't even released yet, we don't know if all these infos are even true.

Restart of restart is what then?
After the end of MK9, the story only got worse, and MKX is proof of that. MK11 tried to fix MKX's history by changing MK9's history (they were all dead in the end), and why do all that? To finally do another restart?

Just with everything that happened in the last few games is reason enough to doubt a good and creative story  :'(

And just remembering: I thought it was really cool that your avatar changes when you refresh the page  :)
#82  May 22, 2023, 09:55:11 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org

? The game hasn't even released yet, we don't know if all these infos are even true.

After the end of MK9, the story only got worse, and MKX is proof of that. MK11 tried to fix MKX's history by changing MK9's history (they were all dead in the end), and why do all that? To finally do another restart?

Just with everything that happened in the last few games is reason enough to doubt a good and creative story  :'(

And just remembering: I thought it was really cool that your avatar changes when you refresh the page  :)

Oh, I thought you were talking about the leaks.

Well, I'm also not a fan of reboots, even more if it's done over and over again.
I think it's hard to come up with a good story in a game like Mortal Kombat, without it getting repetitive.

I didn't like X's story too, and the comics thing that happens in between also didn't help. We at least got some good moments in 11, but in the end everything was undone, which is a shame.

I want to wait before I complain about this game. From the teaser it looks like they will make something good.
#83  May 22, 2023, 11:05:31 pm
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.

My guess as to why MKX had a sudden change was that with MK9 being so successful, there is no reason to put any effort and respect into the story moving forward anymore.  MK11 is a testament to that as it didn't matter what the outcome was, folks will still buy it in droves.  Otherwise, we never would have gotten Sindel's plot twist.  Ed Boon is just approving anything on the go lately.

It didn't help with MK11 following a formula for every encounter.  Player 1 meets Enemy 1.  Player 1 makes a quip reference something happening right now or in the past, be it either in the old or current timeline.  Rinse repeat.  MK9 felt like there were higher stakes and emotional sacrifices.  MK11 showed it didn't mattered as the whole universe became a singularity once again as spoken right in the beginning.

MK1's story will be all right, just don't expect it to be the same quality as MK9 even with the reset timeline.  We are still dealing with time-travel nonsense with Shang Tsung ffs
#84  May 23, 2023, 12:01:31 am
    • Brazil
My guess as to why MKX had a sudden change was that with MK9 being so successful, there is no reason to put any effort and respect into the story moving forward anymore.  MK11 is a testament to that as it didn't matter what the outcome was, folks will still buy it in droves.  Otherwise, we never would have gotten Sindel's plot twist.  Ed Boon is just approving anything on the go lately.

It didn't help with MK11 following a formula for every encounter.  Player 1 meets Enemy 1.  Player 1 makes a quip reference something happening right now or in the past, be it either in the old or current timeline.  Rinse repeat.  MK9 felt like there were higher stakes and emotional sacrifices.  MK11 showed it didn't mattered as the whole universe became a singularity once again as spoken right in the beginning.

MK1's story will be all right, just don't expect it to be the same quality as MK9 even with the reset timeline.  We are still dealing with time-travel nonsense with Shang Tsung ffs

This story is becoming DBZ/DBS, where Trunks traveled through time so much, instead of fixing history, he created new timelines with different stories  :tongue3:
I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that both MK11 endings are canon, and the trailer's Shang Tsung is the elder god Shang Tsung  :tongue3:
#85  May 23, 2023, 03:16:52 am
    • Brazil
Oooh, I missed a whole conversation, didn't I?

Seems like the a lot of the roster has leaked from a reliable MK11/Aftermath leaker
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mortalkombatleaks/comments/13nhzsn/reliable_leaker_r00000r_confirms_caps_leaks_about/

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I am not satisfied with what was shown either, but you can't be disappointed with something you know nothing about. Besides, it wasn't John Tobias leaving, it was simply WB, they're parasites, MK9 was the best overall game because it was a testing ground for the franchise, so that WB could claim they had it, then it went downhill with their stupid schemes.

MK11 tried to fix nothing. First off, MK9's story was already mediocre, it made many characters stupid and inferior to their original counterparts, notably Shao Kahn suddenly becoming a dumb gorilla instead of a smart strategic mind that had the muscles and magic to back it up. Hell, MK9 didn't even follow up MKA, it completely ignored Taven's existence and they had to pretend they had planned this as an alternate timeline when it clearly was a poorly written followup to Armageddon. MKX did indeed fail to follow the setups from MK9, but at the very least the new characters were an attempt at doing something completely new. And MK11 did absolutely fuck all to fix anything, Kronika was brought into existence out of nowhere and almost every character became inconsistent in multiple ways, hell, even Kronika didn't work with the rules set up in the story for her. It was a disaster from beginning to end.

I don't expect it to even be alright to begin with. At least in MK11 it was obvious nobody cared about the story, when Sindel's lines were leaked, anyone with the slightest knowledge of her character expected her to still be brainwashed OR for the leaks to be fake, and she was only ONE example of characters being written like shit in this timeline. The PS2 era had flaws, but at least it tried to stay consistent with its plot, MK11 failed to be consistent with itself, let alone with the rest. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the writers wanted to do something better, but were limited by higher ups in some capacity, Boon may be the project lead, but he is not the true boss, the WB higher ups are.
#86  May 24, 2023, 11:42:46 pm
#87  May 25, 2023, 03:30:43 am
    • Brazil
Way too long, considering how little the latest trailer revealed.
#88  May 25, 2023, 03:37:14 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
they can easily tell a story about some random characters from the franchise, because MK lore has so much potential to begin with, so it doesn't have to be about the good people vs the bad people in every game to determine the fate of the planet. examples: why scorpion and subzero are enemies, why raidem is a god, why kenon betrayed their army, how shansung got all his magic, the story about the clan of smoke etc, etc.. 2 hours about that what I wouldnt complain.
Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 04:00:45 pm by yaret
#89  May 25, 2023, 07:48:06 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
they can easily tell a story about some random characters from the franchise, because MK lore has so much potential to begin with, so it doesn't have to be about the good people vs the bad people in every game to determine the fate of the planet. examples: why scorpion and subzero are enemies, why raidem is a god, why kenon betrayed their army, how shansung got all his magic, the story about the clan of smoke etc, etc.. 2 hours about that what I wouldnt complain.

Scorpion and Sub-Zero rivalry already had a game just for that. But yeah, I get what you're saying and I also would like to see it. The thing is... they tried spinoffs a few times before and some of them were awful (looking at you, Special Forces).

By the way, who is kenon?
Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 08:11:04 pm by DeathScythe
#90  May 26, 2023, 01:12:19 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
What I'm hoping for is, that this is a new timeline and all, a complete total overhaul of the characters in terms of their... well, character.

For example: Mileena is no longer a product of dark sorcery, but the daughter of an Edenian and a Tarkartan that has been accepted into the Royal Family (maybe explain that a member of the Royal Family has been canoodling around with a certain Tarkartan) and is the protector for Queen Kitana in the process. This leaves Jade for another role.

Scorpion and Sub-Zero are not just allies, but they are part of the same ninja clan that helps protect the Earth from threats that come from other realms. Among these fellow ninjas? Cyrax, Sektor, Smoke and Tremor.
#91  May 26, 2023, 03:41:49 am
    • USA
What I'm hoping for is, that this is a new timeline and all, a complete total overhaul of the characters in terms of their... well, character.

For example: Mileena is no longer a product of dark sorcery, but the daughter of an Edenian and a Tarkartan that has been accepted into the Royal Family (maybe explain that a member of the Royal Family has been canoodling around with a certain Tarkartan) and is the protector for Queen Kitana in the process. This leaves Jade for another role.

Scorpion and Sub-Zero are not just allies, but they are part of the same ninja clan that helps protect the Earth from threats that come from other realms. Among these fellow ninjas? Cyrax, Sektor, Smoke and Tremor.

Tbh I don't think the story will amount to anything. Will probably be the same ol' same ol'. MKX and MK11 proved they can write whatever they want and it will still bring sales
#92  May 26, 2023, 03:45:44 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
I don't think so, they do the best they can, if you don't believe me, you just have to play injustice 1 and 2, why injustice 1 and 2 are so good in their story mode? because the comic NetherRealm took to create the story mode was well written so MK doesnt have good writers yet, John Tobias was the best mk writers ever had
#93  May 26, 2023, 06:05:24 pm
    • Brazil
Injustice 1 and 2 have terrible story modes full of plot holes. Hell, the whole premise of Injustice falls apart when they try to "two-sides" the problem of Superman being a murderous psychopath and a fascist. It WOULD have been interesting to see a Superman that actually feels conflicted because he believes killing some criminals is the best way to deal with crime, but when he killed Shazam, a CHILD, for merely arguing against him, that story really reached the point of irredeemable. Not to mention Wonder Woman, whose only representations in media nowadays are as a manipulative fascist (Injustice 2) and a rapist (second movie).
Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 06:57:21 pm by Macaulyn97
#94  May 26, 2023, 06:54:50 pm
    • Brazil

Sorry for double posting, but I have to remind people of one thing: Mortal Kombat stories in the current trilogy end up in a setup that isn't paid off in the next game.

Mortal Kombat 9 pulled from Armageddon, but instead of including Taven and Blaze in any way, shape or form, they put Raiden and Shao Kahn there instead, then NRS pulled the "alternate universe" excuse to defend that choice. Regardless, at the end of MK9, they set up Shinnok's invasion, MKX arrives and the invasion lasts for one literal chapter and we get a time jump that ends in a setup for Dark Raiden existing and Liu Kang and Kitana being the big bads I'm the next game.

MK11 is the messiest one, as Dark Raiden is straight up erased from existence and Liu Kang and Kitana are literally reduced to minions, of a character that they pulled out of nowhere no less. All this time we were told that the highest powers were the Elder Gods and the One Being, but Kronika shows up, one of many titans, pulled out of NRS' ass, because Greek mythology had gods and titans, so Mortal Kombat needs that as well, I guess, fuck the One Being and the Elder Gods.

Even character-exclusive setups were illogical. Jade is turned into a revenant alongside all other dead characters in MK9, MKX shows all revenants, except Jade, but because Jade's MK9 arcade ending was said on Twitter (by a member of NRS) to have a connection with Kitana's ending in MKX, we thought her showing up in MK11 would be connected to those, but no, Jade pretends she was always there. Skarlet started as an construct in MK9, the blood equivalent to Ermac with his souls, in MK11 she is a street urchin who was taught blood magic by Shao Kahn. They can't even decide if Kung Jin is Kung Lao's cousin or nephew, for fuck's sake. And don't get me started on Sindel.

So yeah, MK1 seems to be going from the MK11 good ending, maybe even having the Shang Tsung in the trailer come from the bad ending so we can solidify one as canon or even merge both of them, but because this is NRS, I simply don't trust them to keep that consistency, because they never do, they completely ignore their own setups, they don't give a shit about the story or the characters, so I really would like to view this new game as them realizing the story is messed up and fixing it, but they haven't earned my faith.
#95  May 26, 2023, 08:01:59 pm
    • Brazil
From what I could understand from the comments since my last post, almost everyone agrees that the MK and Injustice stories are poorly written or bad (if I misunderstood something I apologize, as I use google translator).
  As far as I remember there were 6 stories from the same team (3 from MK and 2 from Injustice and 1 from MKvsDC), so based on that I ask: how can we expect to have a good story after all this?

The way I'm posting it seems to imply that I hate MK, but I love and play the games in the MK franchise since its release (I was 13 when the first MK was released), and my favorite is MK Trilogy even though it wasn't perfect, I had a lot of fun with it.  :sugoi:
But since that time a lot has changed, and the worst of them for me is the increase in greed in selling DLCs before the game is released (Shao Kahn DLC e Shang Tsung DLC), and that saddens me and certainly saddens anyone who like the franchise.  :'(

I'm discouraged with this MK reboot precisely because of that and not because of what the trailer showed, because when we play the game, we see that it's quite different from what we were expecting (we have 6 examples to say that).  :'(
Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 08:05:36 pm by Mauteckk
#96  May 26, 2023, 08:38:57 pm
    • Brazil
Thats the thing, its not hate for the franchise that makes me criticize the story so much, its love. UMK3 was my first fighting game, it has a special place in my heart, the PS2 era wasn't perfect, it absolutely had flaws, but at least it tried to be consistent and try new things. They had the nerve to create a beat 'em up that ended up being excellent, even after Special Forces' massive flop, yet somehow we didn't get more of those, the fighting games tried interesting things with mini-games and kept their story somewhat consistent with their story modes, again, it wasn't perfect, I know there were major flaws in the gameplay (infinites and normals being transferred from a char to another from game to game), but it was something, hell, we even got a solid beat 'em up in Armageddon with Taven, not exactly MKSM, but still not bad, and that game was a celebration of the franchise with every previously playable character.

Nowadays what do they get? The gameplay was good in the first two games, but people are very divided about MK11's, the story is a total disaster because not only are the inconsistencies I mentioned (and many others I didn't mention) present, but they stick to this stupid Chapter system that only exists to limit the way the story is told, hell, it even makes the evil sides feel weaker, like, for the first two games we only played as heroes with the only neutral or evil characters to get chapters being Kotal Kahn and D'Vorah. MK11 allowed us to play as Shang Tsung, Shitdel and Shao Kahn, but only in Aftermath, before that, it was all good guy chapters, even past Scorpion became a good guy before he took over the Scorpion chapter. Also, the alternate modes aren't special, the tower thingies are basically just modded versions of regular gameplay, its interesting to have, but as an alternate mode, they're not that interesting, and the Krypt in MK11 didn't even allow you to keep your progress if you didn't pay for an online connection, not to mention you were playing as some rando who ends up canonically dead in Aftermath.

What can we expect from MK1? They say we'll have "a new fighting system, game modes, bone krushing finishing moves, and more." New fighting system? With people being divided about the gameplay in MK11 that was the bare minimum. New game modes? Could be interesting, but I'm not expecting much, knowing NRS they could just bring the fucking towers again with a slight twist and call it a "new game mode". Bone krushing finishing moves? Basic, and if you ask me, boring, because it seems like the most of the fatalities nowadays are just so they can show gore in the most unnecessarily detailed way possible, and yes it IS unnecessary, because they're literally making their devs watch actual real life gore to reproduce that and said devs are getting PTSD from it, I'd rather have style over detail in fatalities, I don't care that the organs inside are reacting exactly as they should in real life. Also they end up with "and more", which is hilarious, because I'm expecting very little already, so "more" doesn't mean much, "more" could mean microtransactions, could mean requiring online connection to keep your progress, could mean that the game will suck even harder. I don't have faith on them anymore, even if there is no relevance to the anger I feel at the state of my favourite fighting game franchise today, I still feel it.
Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 08:42:01 pm by Macaulyn97
#97  May 26, 2023, 10:52:17 pm
    • USA
I can tell you definitely care, Macaulyn. That rant could only come from someone who loves the franchise.

Me? I grew up with the series. I was there when the first game came out in arcades and it left wondering "How in the world could they get away with what they did?" I was there when MK3 first hit the arcades and seeing players try it out and being surprised by how awesome the Stage Fatality for the Pit 3 was.

MK4 was fun, if a little *goofy* at times. The PS2 era is where I thought the series hit its full stride - the other competitors weren't as much of a threat as they were in the 90's. Deadly Alliance was a great game and Deception upped the ante. Armageddon, on the other hand... look, I treat it like Fight Club and Bruno: You don't talk about it.

MK vs. DC Universe is... alright, I guess.

The NRS era is where things really go into overdrive for the franchise as they focus on, what I think are the three core elements of the current generation of Mortal Kombat games: Deep single player content, selling their guest entries and buckets upon buckets of violence. Each game does that and I have no worries that MK One will fall short on those core elements.

But, and this is a big but, this focus towards becoming what is basically the video game version of actual Roman Gladiator fights does scare a lot of people off and there are consequences from this focus, as members of the development team have gotten PTSD is probably the biggest one so far. It doesn't help that all the dreaded pitfalls of modern gaming has been in here as well...  Do I have faith that it'll do well? Yeah. People will buy it, people will play it and if it doesn't meet their standards, then people will put the game down and go elsewhere with their gaming free time.
#98  May 26, 2023, 10:58:13 pm
    • USA
Sorry for the double post, but while this is going on... a stress test is in the works for the game. They're going to prioritize 1v1 matches here, so there might be a chance to see how the Kameo fighters work... maybe.

Anyway, the stress test is NOT related to the Beta set for August. This is just a test of their servers so if there are any issues, they can fix them before launch. You WILL need a WB Games account to be considered for the stress test, but it's not a guarantee that you'll get in.
#99  May 27, 2023, 01:35:42 am
    • Brazil
Good, we'll probably get some leaks, then. I mean, we already have the Kombat Pack 1 leaked from a very official source (thanks Amazon Italy) and part of the roster revealed by one leaker and confirmed by a more reliable one (the latter one being the same who leaked Aftermath), so a gameplay video getting leaked is far from impossible.
#100  June 08, 2023, 09:27:17 pm
https://youtube.com/watch?v=jnVTPkCWzcI&feature=share7

So a brief recap.

•Current additional kombatant is Kenshi.  Milenna isn't a Tarkatan at birth but is rather affected by a disease.  She appears as a normal human being at the start.  Raiden looks VERY young compared to the one we know before.  Liu-Kang has a revamped gameplay suited for his new godly powers.

•Gameplay includes Aerial Raves from the 3D era.

•Kameos can be used for combo extensions, BREAKERS, and even dual X-ray's/Fatalities.

•Currently list of Kameos includes those from the OG timeline including MK2 Sub-Zero, MK Kano, MK Sonya, MK2 Jax, MK3 Stryker, MK2 Kung Lao, MK3 Stryker, and Goro who sports a new costume.

•Jean-Claude The Dammed will not only lend his likeness to Johnny Cage, but will even voice the character himself!

To anyone that is still on the fence about the Kollector's Edition, it is currently sold out.
Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 09:32:24 pm by Kirishima