YesNoOk

ripping values with frame skip / turbo games ... (Read 3109 times)

Started by Bastard Mami, October 26, 2007, 08:18:02 pm
Share this topic:
ripping values with frame skip / turbo games ...
#1  October 26, 2007, 08:18:02 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
some creators already know about this, but just so the ones who have not really experienced it can give an informed opinion i will explain it a bit.

first, this is not about emulators frame skipping. some games, like kof have a fixed vel, so when emulated all the frames are drawn properly, hecne performing the same move agian and again outputs the same data.

second, some games do not run at a fixed velocity, most of those are like that because they have turbo modes, that speed up the gameplay. obviously, the character's data by itself has got a fixed value (though, it does not necesarily correspond to the any of the game's available velocities). using an animation as an example, the value might be that it last 20 ticks on screen. using the same turbo setting one will find different values, due to the turbo algorythm, so at 150% speed you get 13.33 ticks; since you can't show or rip an image for one thrid of a tick sometimes you get 13 ticks and other times you get 14. same applyes for velocities, friction values as well as much other data that can be ripped form games.

so ,what approach is the one you use while ripping data under that condition ?
Re: ripping values with frame skip / turbo games ...
#2  October 26, 2007, 10:16:15 pm
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
For SSF2T, I use this handy "SSF2 Speed" cheat which, as the name implies, makes the game run at SSF2 speed, that is, no frame skipping. All of the actual in-game speed selections have some amount of frame skipping. Similar cheats could probably be made for other games with ArtMoney or something. Also, I use ArtMoney to check against actual in-game values rather than just counting frames and such.
#3  October 28, 2007, 03:57:05 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
 i can ether use the slowest value, the fastest one, get the median, or use a random function. i am just wondering what do other creators use.
#4  October 28, 2007, 04:12:18 am
In SSF2T, I use what felineki uses. Otherwise, I count the animation a few times and I use the fastest one.