YesNoOk

ADX Frontend v2! *RELEASED* (Read 153932 times)

Started by Jesse~, October 15, 2008, 12:00:28 pm
Share this topic:
Re: ADX Frontend v2!
#41  October 22, 2008, 04:20:00 am
Well there is one thing that can could be an issue that I am able to think of at the moment. If your file names have spaces in them adxencd won't convert them. Try renaming your file using no spaces (I'm not sure it underscores work, I'll try that later) and see how that turns out.
#42  October 22, 2008, 04:31:33 am
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
Well, check it out...It used to be working fine at my Home Windows XP computer and now it's not. :S

I have both the APP and adxencd.exe in my desktop inside a folder called ADX Frontend.

I have no idea as to why it's not working now...I'm simply trying to convert a WAV file called fight.wav and nothing.

at one point the program created a folder simply called "and" but nothings in it. Check it out...properties of the file I'm converting included.

Talk to you guys later...I'm heading out with the booze cruise.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:41:51 am by MaxBeta
#43  October 22, 2008, 04:33:39 pm
  • ADX Encoder Frontend Developer
@ Hank, yes, underscores work fine.  I use them all the time.

@ MaxBeta, yes, the DOS prompt will show up because the actual conversion is happening in DOS.  As for what's going on, I checked the code and there's nothing weird about it.  Have you been clearing the the info after using it, like pressing the Clear button?

I tried to replicate what's going on with you, but I converted my own fight.wav, same file details, stereo, 1411 rate, etc and everything went through fine.

Have you restarted your comp and tried again?  Also, I don't see why it would create a folder called and when the frontend isn't making any files unless you tell it to, such as the saved loop points and sending the conversion info to the adxencd.exe program of which there is no "and" in and of the code, so I can't see anything wrong.

If you can, I'd like you to take a video of what's going on.  It would help me out greatly.  Thanks.

Jesse~
ADX Encoder Frontend - Making ADX encoding easier!
#44  October 22, 2008, 06:47:51 pm
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
Wait a minute....I just remembered I installed Service Pack 3 last night to check out a sprite ripping program that required it.
Maybe this is what's causing all this?

As for a video, I don't have the time to compile one, but here's a step by step of what I'm doing:

1 - I run ADX Frontend.exe and the main window comes up.
2 - I hit Browse and select fight.wav on the same folder as the program.
3 - I check on the Loop box.
4 - I type 00:12 for start loop and 00:38 for stop loop.
5 - I save loop.
6 - I hit CONVERT and I see the DOS prompt window flash onscreen for a split second.
7 - There's no Output file, even after a couple of minutes.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
#45  October 23, 2008, 01:26:40 pm
MaxBeta,

Try encoding it without putting in loops for testing.  If that works, then the problem is that your are trying to use playing times for encoding when it needs to be using wave samples as loop points.

In other words, adxencd.exe loops music based on wave samples, like 12345 and 123456 (as an example), not 0:01 and 0:23.  If you only use a WAV to MP3 converter and not using an audio editor, like Adobe Audition, Sound Forge, Audacity, etc., then chances are you won't get to see those wave samples anyway.  Looping ADX music is based on literal precision of where it will start the loop and end the loop.  Using "playback time" is very messy and never accurate.  Wave samples are as precise as you can get and thus why it's used in the encoder.  Also, I'm afraid I would not be able to add a feature that changed playback time to wave samples as they vary per "millisecond" based on bitrate.

Is your brain hurting yet? :p

So my point being that ADX encoding it not for the average user but for those that use audio editing software and know about precision sampling and looping.  ADX encoding isn't for just anyone I'm afraid. :/

Now, if it STILL doesn't work even after not using the looping option, then I'd have to ask if anyone else using Service Pack 3 is having the same problem.

Thanks guys!

Jesse~
#46  October 24, 2008, 08:08:59 am
Will this baby be able to convert more than one Wav file at a time?I have already converted my MP3's into Wavs and I was looking for something to turn my Wavs into ADX.Then I found this topic and I was like  :o Anyway is it capable of doing more than one wave file at a time?
#47  October 24, 2008, 08:13:53 am
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
Will this baby be able to convert more than one Wav file at a time?I have already converted my MP3's into Wavs and I was looking for something to turn my Wavs into ADX.Then I found this topic and I was like  :o Anyway is it capable of doing more than one wave file at a time?

Not yet implemented. One file conversion for now.

@ Jesse~:

Ok, sounds good...However I have tried converting without setting loops but I get nothing...Listen, nevermind....I think it's my Anti-virus, it doesn't like certain exe files. Your program did work at some point for me, just not anymore...I'll try to figure out what's going on before I post next.
Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:17:44 am by MaxBeta
#48  October 24, 2008, 08:16:30 am

Not yet implemented. One file conversion for now.

What about the looping?Can it loop for you or do you do it yourself?
#49  October 24, 2008, 08:19:18 am
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
Yes it gives you loops, but you have to set them manually...Read Jesse's last post on this page.
#50  October 24, 2008, 08:28:38 am
#51  October 24, 2008, 01:37:21 pm
  • Sunglasses Security Guy is watching you necrobump.
    • x-ism.co.cc/index.html
November 1st? That long? Damn, I have a bunch of music that could use ADXing...
#52  October 24, 2008, 07:58:59 pm
#53  October 25, 2008, 02:37:46 am
  • Sunglasses Security Guy is watching you necrobump.
    • x-ism.co.cc/index.html
A week is a VERY long time for me (when someone releases me from this time dilation chamber, that might change).

EDIT: Didn't know it was the 24th already. Sorry :P.
#54  October 25, 2008, 06:42:18 am
A week is a VERY long time for me (when someone releases me from this time dilation chamber, that might change).

EDIT: Didn't know it was the 24th already. Sorry :P.

You must been one impatient guy if a week kills you.
#55  October 25, 2008, 06:57:24 am
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
the irony
#56  October 25, 2008, 04:28:11 pm
It's good to see people excited about this program's return from obscurity.

Yes, for the moment, only one file at a time, but that will change.  The biggest problem with batch conversion that I can see is loop points per file.  Might either be too much of a hassle to implement or if I can implement batch conversion, I think it would only be for loopless ADX files, but I won't say for sure whether or not any of this is 100% at the moment.  The program I am using to make the frontend is still kinda "new" to me in regards that I still don't know how to do certain things on it, but I am trying new things all the time with it and plan on getting my skills much better to make even better programs and the such.

MAYBE one day I'll make something that will let you tinker with the .DEF files that MUGEN uses, but I'm not sure on that either as that's still a ways away.  Hell, by that time, I'll actually be using code instead of a program to create my stuff and thus it will be possible anyway. :P

Now, let me clarify in case anyone is confused.

At the moment, I am not a "programmer" per say.  I am using a very powerful game maker/application designer called Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer to create the frontend with great results, but seeing as I am a bit limited in my skills with using the program, there are still some things I can't do with it.  As I learn the program more and how you can do this and that to produce that and this, I'll be able to implement more features you guys would like.

Be that as it may, I am currently enrolled at DeVry to become a game programmer/application developer so either way, programming using code will come to me when I've finally gotten better with it and actually learned how.  And when the time comes, I'll convert my current frontend to C++ (or whichever language is best for it) and it will be even better!

Final note, the reason I set the date for Nov. 1 is because I wanted to make sure that the program is bug-free, which in MaxBeta's case, there is something wrong.

@MaxBeta, it could very well be the anti-virus program, but one good way to tell would be to open a DOS prompt and run the encoder on it's own.  If it gives you some error or it just doesn't work at all, then your anti-virus program has deemed it a hostile program and has probably wiped it making it inoperable.

Erm, funny thing that happens when you're thinking about the problem after you've had a few sleepless nights due to trying to get back  into a good sleep schedule.  Here's a question for you MaxBeta.

The folder that your music is in...does it happen to have spaces in the name?

Remember, spaces are the encoder's worst enemy.  adxencd.exe is from the old DOS era so it doesn't like folders with spaces in the name.  If that's he case, move your music to a different folder or replace the spaced area with an underscore and you SHOULD be set.

If that doesn't work, try these steps to determine if your anti-virus has messed up axdencd.exe:

1.) Open Command Prompt
2.) Navigate to the folder with the encoder
     -Use cd foldername to open that folder and cd\ to make the command prompt take you to the front of the drive or [C:\] then
     navigate using cd
3.) Run the encoder by typing adxencd.exe

You SHOULD see this:
Code:
||||||||||||   ADX Audio decompression tool Ver.4.61    ||||||||||
Software Audio Encoder for "CRI ADX FreeWare     "     1999-07-16
             1996-1999 CRI

Usage: adxencd <Input PCM File> [Output Dir] [Options]
<PARAMETER>
        Input  PCM File : Input audio data file [.wav|.aif]
        Output Dir|FIle : ADX output directory or file
                          'File' should be specified extention[.adx]
<OPTIONS>
        -sf<sfreq>      : Sampling freq. for compression [Hz] def=same as input
        -ch<mode>       : Audio data channel  def=not specified
                          0=Left  1=Right  2=L/R exchange  3=(L+R)/2(MONO)
        -lmsec<msec>    : Compression data size [msec] def=input data size
        -lcof<freq>     : CutOff freq. for down-sampling LPF [Hz] def=Auto
        -ldim<dim>      : Down-sampling LPF dimension
        -lps<pos>       : Loop start position [smpl]
        -lpe<pos>       : Loop end position [smpl]

If you don't, then your anti-virus has screwed with the encoder.  If you do see this and your folder doesn't have any spaces in it, then I'll try testing this on my mothers PC when I hear back from you since hers is Windows XP Home with SP3.

Jesse~
#57  October 25, 2008, 05:09:04 pm
I finally got to try this thing out:

THIS IS MADE OUT OF WIN

this is the most awesome file format i have ever seen!
Works fine on XP SP1 and 98SE.(not on 3.1 though)
Does not lag nor skip.No errors or such.

Suggestion: Some sort of On-the-fly conversion like the xViD Converter.

This could be a new MUGEN standart, i suggest to link to this in μChan.
#58  October 25, 2008, 05:22:00 pm
Sorry for the late input on the matter but my XP is also Service Pack 3 and I have yet to experience any problems that weren't somehow caused by user error.
Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 05:44:16 pm by HankVenture
#59  October 25, 2008, 05:53:14 pm
No i meant WIN3.1 (yeah that old thing) since ur tool is just a frontend i tried if it could work but it didnt.
#60  October 25, 2008, 07:30:42 pm
Suggestion: Some sort of On-the-fly conversion like the xViD Converter.

Wish I could, but since I didn't develop adxencd.exe and since I can't write code for a shell extension, I don't think that'll be possible til I start learning to actually program using code instead of a powerful application builder.  It COULD be possible, but I'd have to look into it.

No i meant WIN3.1 (yeah that old thing) since ur tool is just a frontend i tried if it could work but it didnt.

Yeah, the program I'm using to create the frontend only builds applications and games for use with anything Win9x and higher.  I don't know if it would work in Windows 95 and I doubt many people that will be churning out ADX files would be using that OS, but if anyone DOES have it, then I'd be more than happy to add them to my list of testers.

Sorry for the late input on the matter but my XP is also Service Pack 3 and I have yet to experience any problems that weren't somehow caused by user error.

Sounds like the problem is on his end then.  He should try out the suggestions I posted and see what comes of it.  Thanks Hank!