YesNoOk

Little Big Planet (Read 3080 times)

Started by the_mith, December 13, 2008, 02:10:53 pm
Share this topic:
Little Big Planet
#1  December 13, 2008, 02:10:53 pm
Didn't see a topic on this game so thought I'd make one. It's basically a platformer where your a "sackboy" and you play through levels that are pre-made in the game (story mode) or can play with, other people (both in your house or online) in stages made by the game creaters or game players.

The game is definatly centered around the whole "community" aspect. I'm renting the game right now and today was the first day I've played it, and I already know I'm definatly buying it!! The major thing here is the gameplay, its as fun and challenging as a platformer should be, but unlike older platforms this has more staying power thanks to the relativly recent online gaming aspect and uploading your stages. I'm suprised I haven't heard more about this and that there wasn't a topic here at the guild.

I'm hoping someone else has played this, as for my score of the game... It's very nice, has lots of inovative concepts, and more then anything else is very fun, 9/10  :sugoi:

I always shine!
Re: Little Big Planet
#2  December 13, 2008, 02:17:32 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
Garry's mod did this same concept way better back in 2005 till now.
#3  December 14, 2008, 01:28:24 am
  • Never give up
^ Quiet, Ninja Naruto. :ninja:

I've been playing this game since it came out. Sadly, only renting/Re-renting it over and over again. I'll buy it soon.

The online portion is kinda like youtube's community. Being able to heart(favorite) people, heart stages, find related stages to the one you're playing, commenting and rating stages. It's a shame the ability to flag is there too. Some haters are flagging stages just because they don't like them. >_> Some stages are/were getting deleted because of that. The developers are changing the way they moderate, but the damage has been done to the first creators.

I love the create mode. Being able to make almost anything that I can think of, is pretty amazing. Started developing my first stage 2 weeks ago. Trying to make a stage that's based off of Devil May Cry 3's 1st 3 levels. I'm waiting for them to release to online coop create mode update before I continue.

This game is a must by for anyone who owns a PS3. Check it out.
#4  December 16, 2008, 02:45:07 am
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
I'll get it if I could find it for $30.  I was hoping that it'd be cheap for Black Friday, but nobody advertised it if it did go cheap then.

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
#5  December 16, 2008, 07:43:31 am
#6  December 16, 2008, 10:05:22 am
  • what a shame
    • Iran
You can mod it to be a platformer.

or rts.

or third person shooter.

or anything.
#7  December 16, 2008, 12:24:00 pm
Well, this game ain't some mod a nobody made to expand a game. It's made specifically to be a platformer that allows you to play lots of new and unique stages all the time, and to stay fresh and fun. Also regardless of "Garry's Mod" this game still rocks and is worth a mention.

I always shine!
#8  December 16, 2008, 07:04:43 pm
  • I've got ballllls of steeellll.
Yeah... pretty sure Garry's Mod isn't at all comparable to Little Big Planet.  No idea why somebody would even think to make that comparison.

As for LBP, it's certainly worth a mention.  I don't own a PS3 but I've still played it quite a bit.  It's certainly a unique gaming experience any way you slice it.  The youtube analogy definitely fits, mostly in a good way though.

I only have two gripes about it.  First off, the deleting (or "moderating") of games online is complete bullshit.  They still have yet to actually explain why they've been doing this.  There hasn't been any real explanation yet as to why the delete levels to my knowledge, and they need to stop making phoney excuses.  The copyright issue clearly isn't the real problem, since the many of the popular levels STILL revolve around other well-known video games, and many of those have been there since day one.  What they need to do is have a completely unmoderated area where you can upload absolutely anything, and they could give you a warning that you're going into an unrestricted, uncensored area each time you go in.  That way it's no longer Nazi Germany, and they legally cover their asses; done.

Secondly, I can't for the life of me figure out why you can't upload your own music into your levels.  It may take a bit longer to download a level, but nobody is using dial-up.  You'd barely notice the slightly longer wait.  It'd be very much worth the wait to experience truly-unique music (or other backround ambience) to set the mood.  Maybe in LBP2...
Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 07:17:40 pm by Nate Nukem
#9  December 16, 2008, 07:30:36 pm
  • You know it!
    • viewtiful9.blog124.fc2.com/
Secondly, I can't for the life of me figure out why you can't upload your own music into your levels.  It may take a bit longer to download a level, but nobody is using dial-up.  You'd barely notice the slightly longer wait.  It'd be very much worth the wait to experience truly-unique music (or other backround ambience) to set the mood.  Maybe in LBP2...
It's an E rated game.
WOO! WOO! WOO!
PSN / XBLA - ViewtifulSuxx
#10  December 16, 2008, 10:59:09 pm
That's irrelevant.

Online games that include user-generated content of any kind carry the notice "Game Experience May Change During Online Play" to warn consumers that content created by players of the game has not been rated by the ESRB.
#11  December 17, 2008, 12:04:49 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#12  December 17, 2008, 08:23:16 am
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
mugen did that before garry's mod.
#13  December 17, 2008, 12:46:08 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
C++ made that before garry's mod.

I didn't know you could mod C++ and it was already a prebuilt game with ease of use and here I was, thinking that C++ is a programming language! how wrong i was!

talk about learning something new every day!!!
Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:50:06 pm by K.O.D
#14  December 17, 2008, 05:38:09 pm
XNA comes with a Platformer Starter kit (which is shit).
#15  December 17, 2008, 08:05:39 pm
  • You know it!
That's irrelevant.

Online games that include user-generated content of any kind carry the notice "Game Experience May Change During Online Play" to warn consumers that content created by players of the game has not been rated by the ESRB.
And theres also copy-right violations..
WOO! WOO! WOO!
#16  December 20, 2008, 05:01:37 am
  • I'm awesome!
and religious violations.
I SUPPORT THE EMO hXc SUBCULTURE!!!

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
I didn't expect that!
#17  December 20, 2008, 12:43:01 pm
Annnd again, irrelevant. 

Assuming you're referring to the Quran controversy (not sure what else you'd be referring to), that had absolutely nothing to do with uploaded user content.  This song came with the game on the disc, as a licensed track for a specific stage.  Two different issues completely

Nice try though; feel free to keep the arguments coming if you insist...
Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:53:15 pm by Nate Nukem
#18  December 20, 2008, 06:09:57 pm
  • You know it!
Uh, created content can be flagged for copy-right violations.
So, yeah. --;
WOO! WOO! WOO!
#19  December 20, 2008, 06:37:29 pm
I'll get it if I could find it for $30.  I was hoping that it'd be cheap for Black Friday, but nobody advertised it if it did go cheap then.

I found this game for £25 brand new! I couldn't believe it!!  :sugoi:

With regards to moderation, the game is clearly intended for younger audiences as well as adults and so they need moderation, otherwise there would be a whole bunch of "sexy time" stages which someone underage may be able to access. About copyrights, I guess they have to cover themselves to an extent. Honestly speaking I haven't seen any stages that were taken off but I would assume that if there was a disney stage that would be taken off but if there was a crash bandicoot stage that wouldn't be as sony doesn't have anything to do with disney but does have to do with crash.

I always shine!
#20  December 21, 2008, 06:02:33 am
  • I'm awesome!
Annnd again, irrelevant. 

Assuming you're referring to the Quran controversy (not sure what else you'd be referring to), that had absolutely nothing to do with uploaded user content.  This song came with the game on the disc, as a licensed track for a specific stage.  Two different issues completely

Nice try though; feel free to keep the arguments coming if you insist...
Annnd again a douchebag being way to strict. it was a fucking joke dude, lighten up.
I SUPPORT THE EMO hXc SUBCULTURE!!!

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
I didn't expect that!