Posted by Sean Altly in [Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread (Started by Formerly Hoshi April 21, 2010, 09:51:37 PM
Happy birthday to one of the all-time MUGEN greats, @Sean Altly!
Damn it, I was too late to bring up another issue I found. One of Zico’s supers in the movelist has the same error as Sasuke’s - the command is listed as a kick when I believe it’s a punch.
Oh, well. I’ll download this update when I can and get back to enjoying the game. Looking forward to the DLC, but take your time on it!
It gets better and better with each update. I forgot to say this last time, but I love how you did throw escapes. And your solution for infinite meter in training is so simple it makes me feel stupid.
When you're more or less done with quality control, I think you should show this to other fighting game communities.
A few things for Elle:
- Morning Glory does not spend Ego Drive
- If you do Lilac Angel further than half screen or so, the hits will not combo between themselves
- Meadow Superstar retains invincibility in the recovery frames
I think there's a movelist inconsistency with Saito. One of his moves is listed as QCB2xK when it's actually QCB2xP. I tried getting it out with K multiple times before I found out it was actually P. Either the command needs changing to match the movelist or the other way around, but that really threw me.
Other than that, really enjoying the update! Did an arcade run with Bryce some time ago, and I think he, Atleif and Quavon are becoming my favourites so far.
Good my friend. Your game is perfect. I follow his work and was looking forward to the release. I would like to ask a question: How do you create the picture frame (9000.1). What format do you save and have to index colors? I'm asking this because I saw that the image of the char is sharp and with vivid colors. When I do this in my project, it seems like it loses resolution/sharpness. I save in png normally, without indexing colors or saving in pcx.
Damn, Boyo Jun's looks give me serious Goro Majima vibes here, especially his third design. Any way to know, could there be any inspiration taken?
I'm very invested on this game as you probably know so I'm hyped af. I'm pushing for both Camila and Yaayaa. I feel Osgood would be good if the roster size was bigger.
Any basic ideas for movesets or archetypes for the characters to fill? I feel LB could use a setplay character.
I think a demon flip is a great idea, but adding those supers might make the reference too blatant.
As for the others, I can say the girls immediately clicked more with me. Especially the second one.
A small word of advice: her surname here is a very big State/city, which is spelled Córdoba. Add a reference to "Fernet con Coca" and give her a blatant Cordobés accent for a greater effect. -> [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPvnPM6qN5o[/youtube]
Congrats on the full release of the game, Sean!
One question - I thought Elle was British? At least I remember her being referred to as such in SHADEs 3. So how come she's under the French flag here? Or have I remembered wrong all this time?
- Crush Drive PalFX also affects the dust effect. Might happen with more chars Whoops
- When landing from Heaven's Gate, the Width parameter is too high and serves as an invisible barrier against counterattacks. I think that sctrl can be removed entirely I added that for some specific reason I can no longer remember, so to be safe I just made a new landing state without that sctrl in it
- At the end of Magnum Anvil, Illian is facing the wrong way, so to combo after it you have to do special motions (e.g. Heaven's Gate) backward. You can either fix this by remaking the inputs in the game (lots of work), or by just mirroring the animation Ohhhh okay I will check this out
- Omnisphere is the best move in the game. "Period". It's too strong. The fastest, most effective nerf to it would probably be to make it one hit only. EX version is OK I went back and forth a bunch of times on this, at one point it was only one hit, I should have left it like that
- Consider adding tech hits/throw escape since it's been a common thing since SF2. If you don't want to make new animations for it, you can do the type where the opponent lands on his feet and takes reduced damage. I actually looked into this at the last second, I was trying to find like a tutorial but no matter how I searched it I couldn't find what I was looking for. I will keep looking though because it's a feature I wanted to add
- Have you thought about making normal attacks reset the opponent instead of juggling? That tends to make games more interesting. I'm going to sound really dumb here, but what does that entail? Making them recover in the air into a custom state that's invulnerable until they land? Or am I mixing up my fighting game terms, which I often do, lolQuoteIf you want to keep the downward hit, you can just make those attacks knock down.Will doQuoteAnother thing is it's hard to tell when you have, say, 25% or 33% and can use the bar for something. You have to eyeball it right now.I will have to see if Mordecool can add something like this since he did the screenpack but it's def a priorityQuoteYou already made the projectile a helper, so you could give it different transparency parameters when on that stage.I keep forgetting new Mugen has the stage variable stuff now
I'm working on the first update everyone, it will just be a big patch to fix everything I've gotten to so far from everyone's feedback. I will probably put out that update Monday or Tuesday!
Sir, wanted to tell you how fantastic this turned out! Just played through Arcade mode a few times; enjoyed it immensely!
CONGRATULATIONS ON THE LAUNCH!
I am delighted to have been able to work as a designer on a game as varied and unique as Last Bout, I really enjoyed every moment working together with everyone!
I released a video on my channel demonstrating the game, designs, etc along with the download link to this forum.
Please enjoy everyone, and thanks for the kind words!
- ReadMe says Quavon Crunch is performed by mashing LP/LK, but he does Widow Maker with LK. I think its a typo on the ReadMe because it seems intentional, as LK/HK decides the direction of the throw.
- I know all characters on the roster have little things that make them busted, but I think Quavon kinda cheats the grappler archetype too hard. I like that he can skip neutral with qcb+k, but I feel EX Shining Black is maybe too strong of a move. It's basically unreactable and has some very decent range so he starts forcing jumps at distances normal grapplers wouldn't. However, I think the real issue is that you can combo into it from light normals on block, which basically means he gets the knockdown whenever he has the bar, which means he gets to the grapppler's mixup with no effort whatsoever.
Gotta say it again: I love how the game feels and looks. Excellent job man, I'll keep labbing the rest of the cast.
I've noticed that Siege's Offensive Super dropped the target frequently when hitting airborne opponents, but I couldn't find a setup to consistently reproduce that bug. While labbing her theoretical max damaging combo, I got it:
This specific combo uses the ego boosted Ascensio, which by the way I think is great. But I wish her taunt was shorter, because atm is very unpractical to setup. The taunt animation is long enough for your opponent to punish you even if you pop it after a knockdown. I feel her gameplay would gain a lot if the animation was fast enough for her to taunt safely after knockdown, but long enough for her to skip okizeme entirely after that. Oki is something Siege really appreciates because of the mantis slash pressure and crossup dash, so it would be a sizable prize to pay for the ego drive.
Congrats on the release! That menu screen looks especially crisp. Great designs all around!
EDIT: I have to say, as a black man I really appreciate allowing 1P to be a black dude. It might seem super small but most fighting game companies don't even do this. Good to see the representation, even in an indie project. You're awesome.
The problem is when the slow startup is hidden behind the hit stun of other attacks, or on wakeup. As merely food for thought, SF4 solved it with invincible back dashes.
- Following the game's logic, forward and back jumps could fill the respective power bars as well
- Jumping hard punch, when hitting air to air, allows the opponent to recover before he does. Could be an issue with more normals that hit downward
- London Fire Clsn1 is too big
- It's easy to get an accidental super cancel when doing the full Gladio sequence, unless you do it slowly on purpose. One of those commands could be changed
- What's the purpose of reverse Rapide?
- Maybe keep the flag with the right colors in all palettes. Imagine Tristan with an American flag that changes colors to see what I mean
The intro for the select screen's music reminds me of another one, but I can't recall what it is and it's killing me.
Looks like one of the best things to come out of the Mugen engine. Congratulations.
- Would be nice to have infinite meters in Training mode (other than the bug mentioned) Is there a way to detect Training Mode in Mugen? I think I Googled this once and forgot
- Clash Scramble is stronger than Clash Counter IMO, so maybe their costs could be reversed I will look into this, it seemed like the one that did damage would be better but I gues sthe scramble is more useful and can be used for combos
- Characters stay too long on the ground after falling (liedown time). Especially after a crumple. I think you should lose Mugen's way of handling that and use your own I will look into some options for this
- The powerbars could use more visual indication that they are full Great point, I will add some sort of indicator
- Unless I'm missing something, Crush Drive is going to be a problem, I think. It's not only unblockable but also guarantees a combo if the opponent tries to block it. In a game without rolling, parry, etc I guess my thought process here was that the moves are slow and telegraphed by the flash so they're easily interrupted, but if it looks like they'll be too much of an issue I can change it. I may add a roll or spot dodge mechanic in the future as well
- The screenpack is sick. Congratulations to Mordecool too He's the man and I really think commissioning him for this made all the difference
- Title screen F1 menu is behind the logo. Very, very minor issue
- Pushups don't stop automatically like the manual says. I kind of like that, so maybe it's the manual that needs fixing I shall change the manual, and add a note that in order to stop doing pushups you have to press Taunt again
- I like that he has a hop kick that hits low just for how unusual that is Thanks, this was actually added because I sprited his first LK and didn't realize until afterwards how stubby and useless it was, so this was a way of repurposing those sprites
- London Fire is basically invisible in the Dojo stage You're right, I will either add some sort of indicator or something the stage floor to fix this
- Tower of London, being the defensive super, should probably have more invincibility than The Great Fire. This might apply to more characters I'm realizing now that I forgot to put invincibility on a lot of supers, so now I'm rechecking all of them
- You should specify in the manual that to do the M.G.K. followups you have to hold forward Whoops!
- The Rising Son has a frame of vulnerability at the start that looks unintentional I looked at the code and I did indeed do this on purpose but I am not sure why, lol. I just changed it though
- I expected the Japan representative to be a ninja, or karate or whatever, but you made it a wrestler. For that you win again. Just wanted to say that, because I haven't tested him yet Thanks! Most of these characters are supposed to be "styles clash" characters, like the Indian character being a woman who does Jeet Kune Do, the English wrestler being a TKD practitioner, a Norwegian boxing preist, etc. The only traditional character types I went with were Russian huge guy and the MMA/BJJ guy being Brazilian
- Eye color is wrong in the standing animation Whoops again!
- Standing HP can cancel into some specials but not others. Was that on purpose? I was trying to make the combo system a bit more limited and deliberate in this game but after a while I cut loose a bit, I think I just forgot to apply that to Atleif, I will address this
- His cancels are oddly limited compared to other characters. Normally this is a ticket to the bottom tiers Same as above, lol
Will return with more when I get the chance. I really hope so, I want to make this game as good and as balanced as possible!
Speaking of Quavon, I think his red trunks palette has a bug where his trunks change color to blue during certain animtaions.