YesNoOk

Character Ideas I've Tried To Do (and failed)... still working on it (Read 5470 times)

Started by gossh1992, February 20, 2020, 06:28:30 pm
Character Ideas I've Tried To Do (and failed)... still working on it
#1  February 20, 2020, 06:28:30 pm
  • Tesla
  • Buy a Tesla
    • UK
Hey everyone, just wanted to throw these ideas out there and get some feedback on whether or not something like these are even possible to make in MUGEN. The reason why I am asking about these is because there are a few people in this community whom I have money going towards for making characters for me, and well... I want the money to make something unique, rather than just repeat the same stuff over and over again.

So, here's the ideas for characters I've had in mind for quite some time now, and want to know if such creations are even possible to make (assuming that the person making them can use standard coding to create these in the first place).

CHARACTER IDEA #1: Lethal League-Type Character
In other words, a character that acts as a ricochet or weapon. So for example, this would be a character that both its partner and the opponent can hit, and hitting said character would send this character flying across the screen, bouncing off the walls until it bumps into another character, dealing damage to them. Assuming someone could actually code something like this (I would imagine it is possible), the next question would be, is it then possible to code in some kind of like "damage booster", where the more this character is hit, the more damage they deal upon hitting another character?

CHARACTER IDEA #2: Home-Run Mini-Game
If you have ever played Super Smash Bros Melee/Brawl/Clash (fan made), then you know what I'm talking about. Basically, I was wondering, is it possible to code a character that functions like this? I would imagine that the functionality of it would be something like a collection of background images as animations, with some kind of like "fade to black then back in" animation for the character "landing" in a spot based on the damage it takes after dying or during the dying process. Probably too difficult to code, but something that I thought would certainly be a one-of-a-kind in MUGEN.

CHARACTER IDEA #3: Chance-Type Character
Basically, a character that leaves all of its attacks/damage/etc up to pure chance. For example, a character that functions through dice rolls. It would throw out dice, and the dice that get rolled would be completely random every time, and depending on what gets rolled/displayed would determine its next attack or the damage it deals or gets dealt. More or less, like gambling within MUGEN. Curious if something like this is even possible.

CHARACTER IDEA #4: Physics-Based Character/Stacker-Type
So I had the idea, what if you combined Tetris (by NNS) and SF2 Bricks (by Hiram Yagami). My thought process is, is it possible to make a character that can be climbed on top of (similar to SF2 Bricks), but also be a weapon that can "bury" characters and they have to fight their way out of it. I would imagine, if you rip enough coding out of different characters, it might be possible to code some kind of "full screen" Tetris-like character, where the blocks are breakable, but once they reach the top of the screen, it is game over, and you have a time limit to keep breaking the blocks before they overstack and "bury" you. The main concern I had with this idea is that the character wouldn't have any kind of real "physics" to it, so it would most likely have to be some kind of Tetris-type, where the blocks can sit on each other, regardless of how lop-sided they would be. Surely this would be possible, right?

CHARACTER IDEA #5: Drawing-Type Character
I got this idea from back when I used to play the flash game called Crayon Physics, where you had to "draw" the objects you needed in order to beat the game. I imagine something like this wouldn't be possible to create, seeing as how "ragdoll" physics or any physics of any kind aren't exactly possible in MUGEN yet. Just food for thought though.

CHARACTER IDEA #6: Music-Type Character
I'm almost 100% certain something like this is NOWHERE near possible to make, but the idea I had was a character that is influenced by music, either through MIDI files or through the SND file. Not entirely sure where I was going with this idea, but I had the idea that it would play like or do damage based off of like a Guitar Hero note path or DDR note path or Osu or something.

CHARACTER IDEA #7: Button-Presses Mini-Game Character
So after seeing this Alex Kid "Rock Paper Scissors" mini-game character, I am only assuming that there is some kind of way to make a functional "press this button to win" type of character? Probably not, but that is what it appears like to me. This came as an idea from multiple characters I've seen that have what would appear to be a "press this button" kind of animation (one of which had what appeared to be some kind of dancing platform). So I was kind of just curious if something like this is possible. I would imagine so, but probably requires way too much coding for anyone to be willing to do without payment.

CHARACTER IDEA #8: RPG-Type Character
Now, I am 100% certain this is possible. After all, I did see a character that plays like an RPG game for MUGEN on SaltyBet and also appearing on Twitter under the account of NoContextMUGEN, where the character was some kind of Golden Sun character with a fully functioning "menu" system, among other things. In all honesty, nothing would make me happier than to have a character like this, but sadly, that character that was made which plays like this, only exists on SaltyBet and nothing else -_-. But anyways, I would imagine making a character similar to this would be a bit of a hassle, as you would have to somehow code some kind of like "opponent freeze/pause" function during your "turn".

Anyways, any insight into this kind of character creation is much appreciated, as I do feel many of these ideas are possible, but the effort to make them is probably very time consuming.
♪ This is Major Tom to Ground Control ♪
Re: Character Ideas I've Tried To Do (and failed)... still working on it
#2  February 20, 2020, 07:11:40 pm
  • Aaaaaaa
  • Aaaaaaa
I think there are a few characters that make use of some sort of "vectors" (I think there's a laser ball that was done as a proof of concept), but a Lethal League-esque system will obviously require a bit of coding. There's been a DDR-esque mini-game already made as well. I think the biggest issue is coding this stuff as MUGEN naturally doesn't do this sort of thing, as well as figuring out how to make it work with other characters.
Fortnite 2 baby.
#3  February 21, 2020, 12:20:54 am
  • Tesla
  • Buy a Tesla
    • UK
I think there are a few characters that make use of some sort of "vectors" (I think there's a laser ball that was done as a proof of concept), but a Lethal League-esque system will obviously require a bit of coding. There's been a DDR-esque mini-game already made as well. I think the biggest issue is coding this stuff as MUGEN naturally doesn't do this sort of thing, as well as figuring out how to make it work with other characters.

By chance, do you have a link to this Laser Ball and this DDR character?

Also thank you for this insight, its highly appreciated.
#4  February 22, 2020, 09:20:32 pm
  • From Brazil! Why not?
    • Brazil
    • ryouwin.smeenet.org
In other words, a character that acts as a ricochet or weapon. So for example, this would be a character that both its partner and the opponent can hit, and hitting said character would send this character flying across the screen, bouncing off the walls until it bumps into another character, dealing damage to them. Assuming someone could actually code something like this (I would imagine it is possible), the next question would be, is it then possible to code in some kind of like "damage booster", where the more this character is hit, the more damage they deal upon hitting another character?

.   Like Ryou Win´s Bone Machine? (The terrorists helpers)
http://ryouwin.smeenet.org/fighters.shtml

.   To increase the damage, add +1 (or some) in a var on every hit take by the helper. Add the var at the damage value of the helper attack.
- - - - -Hobby & Mugen (Smeenet version) - - - - - http://ryouwin.smeenet.org/               Last updates:
Agent Miner v.11,12,2022RoboCop S.Pack v.01,20,2022Eraya v.02,19,2022A.L.L.O.Y.(HD) v.12,25,2021
#5  February 26, 2020, 04:12:00 pm
  • Tesla
  • Buy a Tesla
    • UK

.   Like Ryou Win´s Bone Machine? (The terrorists helpers)
http://ryouwin.smeenet.org/fighters.shtml
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N107xLb6QLw[/youtube]
.   To increase the damage, add +1 (or some) in a var on every hit take by the helper. Add the var at the damage value of the helper attack.

Thank you kindly for sharing these Ryou Win, I'll be sure to check out your other characters as well, looks like an interesting collection to add to mine.