YesNoOk

Damage Balancing Tool Beta (good for rosters or full games) (Read 10773 times)

Started by RobotMonkeyHead, January 08, 2013, 11:06:56 pm
Share this topic:
Damage Balancing Tool Beta (good for rosters or full games)
New #1  January 08, 2013, 11:06:56 pm
  • Shakespear.
EDIT: There is a severely upgraded version of this in the works.  This one here is more of a beta now.  Grasshopper Balancing Tool full version soon to come.  Don't worry, data should copy over fine.   

Well, kind of an unexpected release today, I was working out a table for the polishing tutorial, and at one point it hit me that it would probably make a good tool for balancing the damage ratios in a full game.  So I'm releasing the table, unfilled in, for anyone who wants to use it.  It will work with any roster really, but balancing a full game seems like the obvious application.  It basically has a bunch of slots where you add in the characters damage values.  The characters are grouped into archtypes (e.g. brawler, grappler, technical, powerhouse etc...) and it calculates the average damage value for each attack of each said archtype.  It then calculates an overall average damage value for each attack, and allows you to put in a specific characters damage values, and then draws up a quick comparison to the average, so you can make sure your fighter's damage values are balanced.  Holds 48 chars total, under 8 different groupings.   
   That's it really, in the polishing tutorial, it will be included, but will already be filled in with a spattering of different characters from different games.  The point being to allow you to see what average damage values look like for different character types, so in polishing you can make a characters damage values somewhat more fair, or at least to your liking.  Here's a couple screenies:
Spoiler: Screenshots (click to see content)

Download Excel 97 version
Download Open Office version
Download Training Character

EDIT:  To add a characters data to the table, just find what group you want to put them in (or rename an existing group), and add their name to the list.  Then open up mugen and go to vs. mode, pit them against the Training character (press y to call up damage returns), and then just go through and hit with each one of their attacks, and add the damage value you see into the table at the appropriate spot.  Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to add a characters data that way.
Re: Damage Balancing Tool
#2  January 08, 2013, 11:41:51 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
this looks cool.Downloading
#3  January 09, 2013, 12:04:26 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
Interesting.
Is this meant to be standard (i.e. all of one archetype is the same no matter what) or is it meant to be tweaked by the creator?
#4  January 09, 2013, 12:32:59 am
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
By the creator.
You write in the damage values of your characters and it gives you the best possible damage values you can use for different kinds of characters
New #5  January 09, 2013, 02:41:41 am
  • Shakespear.
Yeah totally.  It's not meant to be a standard of any sort, the group names (archetypes) are customizable, as are the characters you analyze.  It's more meant for balancing your personal roster, but it could be used to establish a cross platform standard of some sorts, depending on what characters people felt were good candidates for the specific slots.  I would imagine, if that were ever a concern many tables would be made up anyway...

On another note, I would like to encourage anyone who fills out a section (or the table) to share yo data and upload the Excel / Open Office file on this thread!  If we get enough, I'll compile them, and upload a full table on the first post!

Posted: January 09, 2013, 04:24:35 am
Might add an attack multiplier column soon, so the effects of adjusting the global attack value of a character can be checked out.

Posted: January 10, 2013, 01:36:23 pm
Made a lot of progress on an updated version of this.  Update includes frame advantage, and lead in frames.  Also has less groups (6 rather than 8 ), and a much easier 'compare and contrast' function.  Should have it done and posted by tomorrow. or today.. 7:30 in the am... damn.

Posted: January 13, 2013, 06:50:54 am
This current post just became a beta.  Grasshopper Balancing Tool on the way soon.