Started by Ax, November 04, 2012, 11:38:33 am
Share this topic:

Ax

LINK WIP
#1  November 04, 2012, 11:38:33 am
    • USA
LINK WIP

http://i.imgur.com/17Zc1.png

After doing Mega Man X I thought of doing more non-comic stuff and I always wanted to see LINK from the Legend of Zelda. in a MvC sprite style design. So I tinkered around with some bases and this really works for me so I wanna share this and I am gonna see if I can take it somewhere.

Progress won't be so easy as this base requires a little more editing than my previous jobs but I guess it won't be so different from MMX. Anyway, I am really gonna enjoy this and I am gonna mix a lot of the OoT stuff to as well as some other stuff, this will be a custom LINK, much like Mega Man X.
Seek Truth
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Re: LINK WIP
#2  November 04, 2012, 12:49:59 pm
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
This looks great;

Not a big fan of nintendo stuff, but with work like this I just might compose a theme for him.
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#3  November 04, 2012, 12:57:31 pm
  • I Made It
    • USA
Looks pretty cool man, Looking forward to palletteing (is that a word) him.
#4  November 04, 2012, 01:02:10 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
The sprite itself is very nice. Good proportions, shading, and definitely looks like Link.
However, this doesn't fit very well as a stance, if you were going to use this sprite for that. It really looks like a "come at me" pose. Unless this was a startup frame for an attack.
#5  November 04, 2012, 01:16:17 pm
Bad Ass Link:)

Do you have a site where you post your work?

Ax

#6  November 04, 2012, 11:00:46 pm
    • USA
Bad Ass Link:)

Do you have a site where you post your work?

No I don't put it all in one place, I post everywhere but I do use Elecbyte.com/forum to archive my sprite edits and downloads for safe keeping. I figure a forum like elecbyte won't ever shut down since it's a developers site. I do occasionally post in other places where there is a high demand for specific character types that are in high demand.
  I'm posting this here on MFG cause I see a lot of Nintendo wips and releases here more than in other forums that are only Capcom specific/marvel specific/dc specific/snk specific/sf specific, etc.

But it's all good, sprites or downloads from me can be hosted or altered anywhere and by anyone at any time. No permssion or credit needed ;)

Early Link Walk animation

It's safe to say who the base is :P

Later I'll post some of my ideas for weapon items and moves and simple gameplay mechanics that can utilize those items and moves for standard and user friendly gameplay.
Seek Truth
#7  November 04, 2012, 11:08:32 pm
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
IMO, much more work could be done to make Link not look so much like Hayato.
-  Link's sleeves arent ripped.
-  Link doesn't have stockings on his arms.
-  The walking animation IMO must be changed.  It looks no different from Hayato's at all.

Ax

#8  November 04, 2012, 11:22:06 pm
    • USA
IMO, much more work could be done to make Link not look so much like Hayato.
-  Link's sleeves arent ripped.
-  Link doesn't have stockings on his arms.
-  The walking animation IMO must be changed.  It looks no different from Hayato's at all.

I don't plan on doing a full conversion of a specific kind of Link from any of the Zelda games. I wanna make this a really fast and easy wip with all the goodies out there from the series.

I'm surprised you don't like the ripped sleeves, there is just something barbaric and wild about Link with ripped sleeves XD

I think it's sweet!

I am probably gonna just convert Hayato into Link for the most part but I'll add and change stuff around a bit to give it some of its own identity from Hayato. Although Hayato has some great moves so it would be probably the best thing to do is to keep his attacks intact for optimum gameplay.

Lets face it, no one is better than the professionals, no matter who you are or how well you do it, you can't beat the pros! Hayato is a pros masterpiece.

I'm gonna mix styles anyway, you'll like what I am gonna do, trust me ;)
Seek Truth
#9  November 05, 2012, 01:18:30 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
good luck on this man
mugen or nothin

Ax

#10  November 05, 2012, 05:20:13 am
    • USA
good luck on this man
Thanks!

Okay I got some rough ideas for moves and abilities

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special Attack #1 - Arrow Shot - Projectile
                             Special Attack #2 - Megaton Hammer - Ground projectile waves
                             Special Attack #3 - Bubble Wand - Multiple projectiles
                             Special Attack #4 - Charging Shield Smash - Dash attack (Multi-Hit)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fly Mode - Deku Leaf - Platform Hover
                                       High Jump - Gust Jar - Vertical
                                          Air Dash - Reverse Gust Jar - Horizontal

Special Attack Arial #1 - Claw Shot - Aerial dash attack
      Special Attack Arial #2 (Fly Mode) - Bomb Drop- Explode

Hyper Attack #1 - Mirror Shield - Energy Wave
  Hyper Attack #2 - Boomerang Cutter - Projectile (Multiple hit & Juggle)
             Hyper Attack #3 - Spin Attack - Muti-Hit Attack

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In some basics I'll slip in some creative attacks, like have Link use his iron boots for his strong kick, use of his Hylian shield for blocking, Link's master sword plunge as an aerial attack, maybe the roll attack for a crouching move?

Seek Truth
#11  November 05, 2012, 05:48:16 am
  • I'm a empty vessel seeking to be filled.
    • USA

For this, It's fine to use Hayato's walk based but I would try to change it more so it would look just like his. For one (I am not sure if you are going to add the shield) put that shield up and make him hold the sword were you see the top of his hand, not his fingers. doing a change up like that would pretty much make it your own. good luck.

Ax

#12  November 05, 2012, 05:57:36 am
    • USA

For this, It's fine to use Hayato's walk based but I would try to change it more so it would look just like his. For one (I am not sure if you are going to add the shield) put that shield up and make him hold the sword were you see the top of his hand, not his fingers. doing a change up like that would pretty much make it your own. good luck.

I was considering whether Link should have a shield at all?

But then I ran out of attack ideas so the shield really fills in a lot of what's missing.

So I think one would be included

BUT!

I was thinking, maybe have it attached to his back, It would still make it a Hayato fighter and the shield would only spring up for it's special uses?

Speaking of the shield, I am now thinking about the sword, I think it should be changed, Link doesn't always have the Master sword, as I found out in Zelda wikipedia

http://i.imgur.com/s5B27.jpg

In the first Zelda game he had very different swords, in Majora's mask he left the blade after he was done in Hyrule, and in Soul Calibur II he used other swords from his previous adventures in his crossover?

Seek Truth
#13  November 05, 2012, 08:05:24 am
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Well to be fair, Leo from Warzard changed swords alot in same round!..
But pleas tell me you will give him a Bow and Arrow.. Bombs... And Hookshoot with Scorpion effect (GET OVER HERE) lol
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#14  November 05, 2012, 08:11:11 am
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns

Ax

#15  November 05, 2012, 08:25:35 am
    • USA
But pleas tell me you will give him a Bow and Arrow.. Bombs... And Hookshoot with Scorpion effect (GET OVER HERE) lol

I can provide those things, yes, but maybe not in scorpion's form :P

I like it to work in spiderman's form, like a web sling, except it's a hookshot, but only in mid air. Wanna give it some variety from the usual Link concepts, try different and new ideas.

Also keep in mind that I gotta make it a fighter, so a lot of stuff that is complex and is taking long probably can't work so well in an environment  where someone is constantly in your face, so moves have to be almost instant.

For instances :p

You can't have a wave of Gorons run through the opponent in various strikes, then have link load a light arrow while Zoras come in and slash through, then have deku scrubs run up to attack to, and continue it with link shooting and rolling in for a combo to be topped off with a sword spin attack and a final Ganon kill slash combo and bomb explosion.

A move like this takes too long, slows down the fight to a halt, and really doesn't work as a good attack because it would do too much damage or have a lot of variables, like a lot of odd attacks to make them connect and hit without being awkward.

Yeah, I hear ya, maybe the master sword is best, I wanted to try the box art sword/tempered sword or maybe one of Link's orignal swords from the first zelda game?

Maybe I'll play with it but it seems like it'll be the original master sword.
Seek Truth
#16  November 05, 2012, 11:40:01 am
  • Currently working in 8 bits...
    • Sweden
Hmm, about the swords, he "should" stick to the Master Sword, but different palettes could recolour the sword to resemble other swords from the series.

Bomb, Arrow, Boomerang, Spin Attack and the Bombs where his special moves from the Smash Bros series (and even Soul Calibur 2). Altough I think the spin attack could be used as a charge up move like Megaman and Zeros charged shot from MvC, just to make it reminiscent of the original game.

Other weapons could still be used for some attacks, like hammer could be a crouching or jump heavy attack and so on... Oh, and perhaps a nice little joke on Link's "Smashing Board": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OydCKdKlbM

Otheriwse, Light arrows could be a Hyper Move alongside things like

Oh, a funny idea, if he is KO'd the first round, in the next round, before the round begins, a tiny pink fairy (OoT) will fly around him to restore his health. An intro could have Ezlo (not that one) chatting with him. Dang, there are so many funny details one can have for Link. Oh, perhaps, when using a Hyper, the opponent is marked by Navi flying near them for... Z-Targeting. :P
With full health, perhaps his heavy attack could make his shot small sword beams like the first games.
hrm... i'm out of ideas now...

Palettes, I have some ideas... a Pipit (skyward sword) would be fun, Dark Link is a must, perhaps Ralph from Oracle of Ages? Nes Link would be fun, and then there are the four swords colours (red, blue, purple)... what more?

Ax

#17  November 06, 2012, 12:27:43 am
    • USA
Oh, a funny idea, if he is KO'd the first round, in the next round, before the round begins, a tiny pink fairy (OoT) will fly around him to restore his health. 

I love this idea!!!! I'll have to try it!

The full health sword projectile sounds good to, may try that one as well. Real good ideas, major thanks your way ;) :D

OK

Walk updated!

Hope that's better.

I may do the shield next, if not more of the basics. I took a shortcut with the sword though, hilt can be left brown, it looks alright and better I think? The palette idea is also good to give sword variety, that can easily be done. A sword can't really change that much either, it's a metal stick in all respects.

Seek Truth
Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:33:56 am by AxKingsXRevengeX
#18  November 06, 2012, 02:17:21 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
like the sword alot man, it might be because he is walking but the sword looks a tad bit jerky
mugen or nothin

#19  November 06, 2012, 02:45:50 am
  • Amature Spriter, Voice Pack Maker, Friend.
This looks like a very promising WIP, I'm looking forward to it. :)

Now I know you'll probably going to reference  a lot of different thing, so let me just shoot out some just for the heck of it:

I know you'll probably get some great ideas for attacks based on super smash series, but don't forget he was in Soul Caliber 2, so some basic fight gameplay there would be useful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgjuDI7hfpY

The Tri-Force Slash attack from super smash would make for a good hyper.
and maybe something from twilight princess, like him transforming into a wolf and locking on to the opponent with midna, then going after them would be cool to see. :D

the only other thing is link as a hyper, putting on the fierce deity mask, becoming (Oni/Fierce Deity Link) and doing heavy slash attacks with his blade.

that's all the ideas I have so far. Hope you like them if you're interested in using them.
#20  November 06, 2012, 03:44:51 am
    • thedopehouse.webs.com/
Not bad, but personally I wish the bottom of his tunic was longer. Looks too much like a mini skirt and makes it hard to take him seriously.