YesNoOk

What is Mugen Missing? (Read 27120 times)

Started by WiCloud, April 10, 2013, 11:09:34 pm
Share this topic:
Re: What is Mugen Missing?
#61  April 11, 2013, 08:50:16 pm
  • Thoughts are never Actions unless there Memories
A 3 Punch/Three Kick Feature Button: L1, L2, KKK, PPP. (I use a playstation controller) What they have in various fighting games.

ahh that brings me back. I believe tab and backslash \ could act as the combo buttons for that. always freed me from the corner whenever the AI gets too cocky.

Posted: April 11, 2013, 08:53:47 pm
-Projectiles that WORK

in what way? knockdown? daze the opponent? freeze/burn/entangle the opponent? send them sky high(like a burst projectile)? have it act as a red dot so when your opponent touches it the assist pops out and shoots your foe giving you a chance to chain?
The Wikkens Will Rise!
"To follow our path, to complete our goals, A Wikken's way is truly whole, for we seek the thrill of challenge, none too bleak*too easy* But until the day we all shall peak!"-WiCloud
#62  April 11, 2013, 10:26:50 pm
  • Don't be an Anti-Pockite
    • USA
Along the lines of features some of you are suggesting. A few have mentioned that a full game can support some of these features. We just implemented achievements in our front end and are displaying them on the Scruffy Dragon website (on the right panel of the home page). So far just one achievement (First Login).  But I think it is a cool feature to have especially for full games. A little more re-playablity if you are just playing by yourself. And like others we implemented a tag system into the characters.

The problem with doing things in a front end is the transition in and out of mugen. It is not seamless. It would be great to have this stuff in core mugen though as some of you have said, things can be done, but are sometimes hard to implement.
#63  April 11, 2013, 10:59:50 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
Mugen (Elecbyte) needs to take a brief look at OpenBOR and learn a lot of things.
There are so many things that are way easier (and better) in OpenBOR that you get frustated when you come back to mugen.

For example, on scripted slams (like our Throws) the way it handle the custom animations is way smarter.

You wanna make a move that inflicts fire damage (and have fire fx)? Simply put BURN on it "hitdef" and voilá, the engine understand and treats is different from a normal hit. The engine will even make different animations for BPAIN (Burned PAIN, PAIN is the gethit animation),  BURN (Falling BURN animation), RISEB (Rise from BURN), BDIE (dying from a BURN attack) even BLOCKPAINB (Played when an entity received too much damage from 'burn' attack while blocking).

Pretty easy, no? You just need to put the animations on your char. If you don't have a BURN anim, for example, it will just display the normal PAIN animation. No "missing animations", no "invisible characters". You don't want to make it have a different anim when its killed from burn? Just remove the BDIE anim.

And the same will work for FREEZE and SHOCK animations. There are other options, like burn, freeze, shock, steal. Steal is a Drain-like move. You just put one line of code and, If this box hits a player or enemy, it will drain life from the target and give it to the attacker. Simply like that.

This is a "hitdef" from a simple burn:
burn {x} {y} {right} {down} {damage} {knockdown} {block} {noflash} {pausetime} {z}
There are more options, but its that: just one line.

Wanna make a attack which poisons the oponent? Take a look:

DOT {Index} {Time} {Mode} {Force} {Rate}

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

This isn't even the tip of the Iceberg.

If you wanna learn about it, take a look at its manual (a bit outdated) http://dcemulation.org/index.php5?title=OpenBORManual

Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 11:03:22 pm by O Ilusionista
#64  April 11, 2013, 11:00:44 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
That honestly sounds a bit overly simplistic. 
#65  April 11, 2013, 11:15:29 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Story mode is possible.
Hasn't been updated for quite a while, though.

I completely agree with the whole "advanced pause menu" stuff with character movelists, changing options during a fight, etc.
A big old gripe with me personally is that you can't just plug in a gamepad when MUGEN is open - you have to close it first, plug in your gamepad and THEN open MUGEN...

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#66  April 11, 2013, 11:33:15 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
#67  April 12, 2013, 08:29:25 am
  • Origin of Darkness
    • www.freewebs.com/demandforce/
@DEMAN- yeah i hear ya i avoid chibi characters at all costs because the AI doesn't know how to low kick them to death. Muteki's characters low guard EVERYTHING you'd have to look through his codings and find out how so. The flying is a bit annoying when AI only detects it as a jump. Best possible solution for characters who have super jumps is have them use that to reach the flying characters and knock them down. Another possible solution is lower the TopBoundary of your stages so characters can't fly past them I only recall having a few that do this but it's doable.

low guard EVERYTHING, is not what I want. If you are facing enemy like Petshop from jojo, you need to stand guard his falling ice.
And Muteki just put names of characters that need to be standing guard, It's not helping when facing unknown enemy or a new release chars. Also with that, you need to update your char every time anyone make a new char.

Update every time is not what I want, I want trigger that let AI know from the start, that those attack need to be High or Low guard.

† Today you beg for your life, but one day you will beg me for your death †
#68  April 12, 2013, 08:49:49 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
What is Mugen missing

- a team of developers working on it on a regular base
- official financial support to make it interesting and worthy to work on the engine on a regular base
- a kickstarter project to fund a highly improved Mugen engine
- Maybe elecbyte should make it opensource and give developers the opportunity to work on a fighting game engine who have the time working on it

...now bash me already for these blasphemic words.
#69  April 12, 2013, 08:53:56 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
None of that is blasphemous. :I
#70  April 12, 2013, 08:58:08 am
  • I work at Elecbyte as a sexy janitor.
    • USA
    • tamez.smeenet.org

Considering how common commissions have become in the community, that has a chance of being successful. 
And it's better than a normal "donate by paypal" button because there would be a set goal, and a way for us to track how much money is raised. 
#71  April 12, 2013, 09:05:08 am
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
#72  April 12, 2013, 10:19:49 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
What is Mugen missing

- a team of developers working on it on a regular base
- official financial support to make it interesting and worthy to work on the engine on a regular base
- Maybe elecbyte should make it opensource and give developers the opportunity to work on a fighting game engine who have the time working on it

...now bash me already for these blasphemic words.

Exactly right. The kick starter fund, im surprised nobody's made one yet.
I think it would be great if Electbyte got funded by kickstarted, mabey they would even port it over to i'os, android, AND to the GCW Zero"http://www.gizmag.com/gcw-zero-handheld-emulator-games/25760/"
#73  April 12, 2013, 12:54:37 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
But what would the KS reward tiers be? Lunch with the dev crew? :P

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#74  April 12, 2013, 02:39:33 pm
    • India
    • BladeStorm_X@hotmail.com
What mugen needs are more creators who leave they're stuff open source and don't just leave around "BETA versions" which no one can complete.
#75  April 12, 2013, 03:09:14 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
#76  April 12, 2013, 04:14:00 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
We actually got a green light at work to give develoopment time to semi-personal projects; they have to be profitable for the company, though ; it goes like profits are split 50/50 between the company and the people working on those projects, though I have no idea how a mugen clone would be profitable at all besides getting 1st world development costs back using kickstarter.
#77  April 12, 2013, 04:33:10 pm
  • the imortal fenix,and that drama queen :'v
  • "accept what you did and never turn back.."
    • Brazil
I good thing to be missing  in mugen is option for set player in simuls and turns
letter to myself:forgeting about a credit can make a apocalipse! :v
The most happy gotic you have seen...(or not)

Sonic freedom fighters delta - actual state: ???
"all life form data..."
#78  April 12, 2013, 07:24:25 pm
  • Thoughts are never Actions unless there Memories
This is just a listed recap on what everyone thinks is missing for M.U.G.E.N. I won't have them all in precise details and if im missing anything it means im reading through the thread and trying to catch everything that's been mentioned so far.

Pause Menu with options such as movelist display and resume. Access to screen resolution like Brightness adjusting won't be a bad idea either.

Improved ProjectileDefs I've noticed personally that some projectiles do actually fly through each other and there not supposed to do that.

Ranking/Score System what this does is it tells you your accuracy in attacks/projectiles/grapples/counters/dodges/parry. How many missed moves you did how many times you were hit or grappled and it ranks you all depending on mostly that along with remaining Health and Time.

Interactive stages the kind that can hurt the characters or respond to character motion such as a splash when walking in water. Destruct-able objects or characters in the background that act as obstacles to proceed.

Tag System even though we have use of a tool to make this possible for Simul battles like 2v2 3v3 or 4v4 I believe people are possibly wanting more functions like use of combined hyper attacks that MVC does. Along with switching out partners in mid-battle *haven't been getting a great detail in this yet)

Online Multiplayer This has been mentioned several times I guess Mugenites wanna go at it through Mugen really badly.

Improved AI functioning as said AI isn't able to detect everything so they aren't able to act properly towards every action given. They get confused towards moves that require crouch blocking or through hyper armor or even if another character takes flight then the AI only considers it jumping.

Easier writing methods for OpenBOR (this is interesting never even knew anything about it until it was mentioned) O ilusionista can explain more about it if im missing anything but it's effect animations from elemental attacks such as fire,wind,water,ice,poison,dark,light,and drain damage (if im missing any please inform me.) .

Story Mode (something i mentioned) I believe characters require a little more interaction with each other (in non-sexual ways) Like how would Ryu act if he met Mario?*examples* How would Shiki Nanaya react to Morrigan (from Darkstalkers) things like this. Big conversations? cutscenes? interference from other major parties? (like Pit jumping in to attack Morrigan believing she works for Medusa perhaps?)

More original characters. although i agree with this it's a lot of work but i'd be willing to try it myself with the proper experience.

More buttons? we have 7 buttons in use already but it was mentioned that a button should do 3 kicks or punches like Playstation did in some of their fighter games like Tekken or Dead or Alive.

Animated Portraits

Visual Stage Selection *we'll know what the stage will look like before we start the fight*

Challenge/Mission Mode. Objectives are placed like no grapples, defeat X number of fighters before this time limit, Handicaps *2v1*, survival and that's about all i can think of.

Im reading through to see what i missed i know there's more but remember it's a recap to help those get caught up on the conversation.

The Wikkens Will Rise!
"To follow our path, to complete our goals, A Wikken's way is truly whole, for we seek the thrill of challenge, none too bleak*too easy* But until the day we all shall peak!"-WiCloud
Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:48:07 pm by WiCloud

Bea

#79  April 12, 2013, 08:04:01 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
We actually got a green light at work to give develoopment time to semi-personal projects; they have to be profitable for the company, though ; it goes like profits are split 50/50 between the company and the people working on those projects, though I have no idea how a mugen clone would be profitable at all besides getting 1st world development costs back using kickstarter.

You could write a commercial engine for people who want to make real fighting games.
A mugen clone is not worth even effort of going through a brainstorm about it's basics. Many of it's designs are way too flawed and beyond repair.
Starting fresh is definitely the best option.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#80  April 12, 2013, 09:58:59 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Its missing an online feature!!111!*shot*

Anyway,I know there already is a 2.5D mugen,but its badly done....
I dunno,being able to move around the stage along the Z line seems like it could freshen out the gameplay.
Or not,depending on peoples tastes