YesNoOk

Getting the pixels on char and stage sprites to line up properly at higher res (Read 1930 times)

Started by DaInferno, September 27, 2024, 07:57:24 am
Share this topic:
Getting the pixels on char and stage sprites to line up properly at higher res
#1  September 27, 2024, 07:57:24 am
A bit of a minor nitpick, but I was wondering if it's possible to properly align the pixels on character sprites with stage background sprites even at higher resolutions? Y'know, so you don't get something like this:
Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 08:34:18 am by DaInferno
Re: Getting the pixels on char and stage sprites to line up properly at higher res
#2  September 27, 2024, 11:11:47 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
You'd have to ensure the character never moves less than 1 pixel of its native resolution and avoids floats entirely, which is going to be difficult considering how the engine handles friction and gravity.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
Re: Getting the pixels on char and stage sprites to line up properly at higher res
#3  September 29, 2024, 08:31:11 am
So I'm guessing it'd be a pretty tedious job?
#4  September 30, 2024, 11:11:27 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
You'd have to micromanage everything to ensure characters move in whole pixel units, so it's not worth it outside of a full game.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
New #5  October 01, 2024, 09:04:36 am
Well actually, the intent is for an eventual full game. I just wanted to know if it was even possible ahead of time since I haven't seen it done before.
Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 05:53:19 am by DaInferno