YesNoOk

Retsu, Geki, Lee, and Joe -- and SF1 Ryu (Street Fighter Alpha style) (Read 212011 times)

Started by SiL3Nt J, June 27, 2017, 06:35:26 pm
Re: SF1 Ryu and Geki in Street Fighter Alpha style
#61  June 30, 2017, 07:56:18 pm
Ok well here are my serious sprites that I took seriously. Added something to one of the punch frames and added another animation to the middle kick:

it looks bad but im not gonna bother saying why
#62  July 01, 2017, 04:46:15 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
*shrug*

People kept talking about how serious this was so I tried to go with the flow.
#63  July 01, 2017, 06:35:59 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Touched it up a little and added a couple of new sprites:

#64  July 01, 2017, 09:15:19 pm
    • USA
he definitely looks more sf1 in this set, not bad honestly
#65  July 01, 2017, 09:24:16 pm
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Well thanks man, I want to make a full sprite sheet of him soon and of the Crow and maybe Geki and Retsu in SFA form.
#66  July 03, 2017, 07:04:05 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Finished Ryu's middle kick. Rest should be pretty easy, these were just tough because I had to re-color Ken pixel by pixel:

#67  July 03, 2017, 09:30:03 am
This Ryu is very interesting!
#68  July 04, 2017, 07:27:12 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Lol well thanks dude, stay tuned:

Update: Edited the cuffs on the pant legs and finished the standing light kick:

Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 01:49:34 pm by SiL3Nt J
#69  July 05, 2017, 09:28:11 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
I remember a while back there was this guy that made a pretty cool looking Retsu in SF Alpha form (top row). I think his name was True Back Lash but I'm not sure. It was a great edit though, always wanted to see what he looked like in Alpha form. Well, just spent a lot of hours making another animation for him (bottom). Still not 100% happy with it though:

Re: SF1 Ryu, Retsu and Geki in Street Fighter Alpha style
#70  July 05, 2017, 10:35:49 am
  • Objection! Sustained!
    • Russia
    • mitia.pogorelov1@yandex.ru
Heh. Now THIS is interesting...
But still, his crouching sprites got strange, KoF-like shading.
And yes, his hitting sprites looks strange. First frame feels too binded, while second one- too wide. +his kimono's torso's part lacks shading.
Well, you got the stuff to fis there, but now Retsu looks much better. Keep it up.
#71  July 05, 2017, 08:34:09 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
You might want to polish the shading on his crouching legs. They look too intense and would look better simplified.

Shit
#72  July 05, 2017, 09:09:55 pm
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Thanks for the feedback will definitely work on it more. This was just kind of a rough draft. The top 3 actually weren't mine, but I do want to edit them. Was noticing that about the legs too. I'm currently finishing up a Cammy sprite sheet for a buddy of mine but as soon as it's done I want to finish Ryu and then work on Retsu and maybe the Crow too.

I came up with a partial moveset for him. If he is finished, I don't want him to just be another Shotokan character. I was thinking the whole strategy with him should be to counter what the opponent does. And he should be really slow and be sort of similar to Makoto. Also I read that he does Kempo which was something I took when I was a kid and I remember some of the moves so was going to give him a few. Here are his standing basic attacks:

LP - A straight out palm strike (pictured above)
MP - A diagonally downward punch to the body. Think Ryu's jumping heavy punch from the standing position.
HP - Retsu rears both hands back and then does simultaneous chops with both hands forward. This is a real Kempo move designed to stun an opponent by chopping both sides of their neck.

LK - A basic front kick with the rear leg like CvS Kim Kap Hwan.
MK - A side kick with the lead leg
HK - An anti air diagonally upward aimed kick similar to Ryu's light kick in SF2 or Cody's standing HK in SFA3.

Specials:
--------------
Supers:
--------------
(revised, see below)
Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:50:05 am by SiL3Nt J
#73  July 06, 2017, 01:01:23 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Did a quick touch up for Retsu. Wasn't sure how to fix the middle sprite on the bottom though:

Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:13:31 am by SiL3Nt J
#74  July 06, 2017, 01:08:51 pm
  • Objection! Sustained!
    • Russia
Well, it's nice to see you're taking Retsu serious enough. Even trying to give him a real moveset... Well, then let me to spit some of mine ideas, maybe you'll find them handy.
================================================
-Well, it IS correst that Retsu should be counter-focused character. But as far as I know, it would be better to usea GRABBING outcome. Not HITTING, but GRABBING. I even have an idea, how should it work:
-----LK- Counters Low Attacks.
-----MK- Counters Standing Attacks.
Both LK ad MK versions must have "Control Moment"- a moment to decide, what grab Retsu will perform.
----------Hold "Back"- Tomoe Nage. Like direction suppose, a way to send enemy behind you. Seems to be good for turning tables on your enemy when you're cornered.

----------Hold "Forward"- Seoi Nage. Grab, direction-changing step forward and throwing enemy away in your direction. Shall send enemy further, than Tomoe Nage.

----------Hold "Down"- Oosotogari. Shall work like Takuma's one: a leg-crossing throw enemy on the ground with further punch. Shouldn't create distance at all, but for second attack can be most damaging of outcomes.

-----HK- Counters Airbourne Attacks. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to control airborne enemy in this moment, so here shall be used classin Geese's "throw into ground" movement. This just seems logical, powerful and unavoidable enough.

===============================================
-I think you need to rework and expand Basic attacks list.
---LP - Yes, a palm jab will do the job fine.
---MP - Normal Straight Punch, like in his SF1 spritesheet.
------Close MP- DIagonal Body Blow like you said.
---HP - Cross Chop, like you said. But I think, there will be ebough one hand chop, like Makoto got.

------Close HP- I think Geese-like "Palm Upper" will fit here.

---LK - I think here will fit much more some... Step-kick in legs... Well, something like this, but not so agressively bended in body.

---MK - Normal Side-Kick into body.
------Close MK- Knee Thurst.
---HK - Head Roundouse kick like Ryu's HK.
------Close HL- Head Kick like Ryu got in SF2.

-Yes, I know... "Not beign like shotos"... But I think, Joudan Sokutou Geri will fit Retsu for sure!

-Sorry, but I can't agree with Kicking Line. I think it's too simular to  IchiNiSan...
I think, he needs a kind of Super-Counter instead. I think HERE as outcome's variant will fit Abare Tosanami's connection (Knee thurst to lift enemy in the air, Roundhouse, and finishing uppercut).
And also I suggest you to look some into Falchion's/Resprited by David_Bazbar version. One super there (Attacks barrage or somethin') really enjoyable. I think you can use it as idea for more Shorinji Kempo-neese version of such super. It would also make for nice LVL3 Super in more damagebalanced versions, if you'll decide to NOT go with overdamage.
==============================================
Push yourself on him. I want to see a worthy spriting here!
And good lick. Retsu and co. deserves more attention than he gets...
#75  July 06, 2017, 04:10:55 pm
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Hmm interesting ideas. I like the idea of giving him counter throws, that wouldn't be too hard to animate. The place switcher one is good too. Not sure about the straight punch for the middle punch and the low kick for the light kick though. There are already so many characters with straight forward punches. Off the top of my head, every character in SF2 has one except Blanka and Dhalsim. Also I thought it would be cool to have another character like Gen who can hit crouching opponents with standing attacks. The light kick would counter low attacks too, it would hit the opponent right in the face.  A counter super would be cool too. Maybe the Ichi Ni San one can be the counter super where he blocks and the if hit he does the punches. You say they are too similar but Ken has two supers that rush forward so it could work.

Also here's more progress on Ryu:

EDIT:

Was thinking today, maybe the Ichi Ni San could be a stationary striking super like Ryu's Shinku Tastumaki or Dan's Striking super and then he could have one more level 3 super that is a really powerful counter punch, and if it doesn't connect he stands a long time in recovery. Also maybe the throw counters you mentioned could just be special move grapples.
Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 06:07:03 am by SiL3Nt J
#76  July 07, 2017, 02:54:09 pm
  • Objection! Sustained!
    • Russia
Nah, I don't think there ideas are good.
-First: Retsu isn't grappler, he isn't judoist. His style is Shurinji Kempo. And THIS, as far as I know, is much about parrying and contering. Besides, even if you'll try to make him any SPECIAL throw, then it shall be something REALLY special, not basic Leg throw or Overhead throw.
-Second: then there is no need to make it about just THREE hits. You see, the same Shinkuu Tatsumaki or Shisho Buraiken maybe do not moving, but they are about a LOTS of WEAK hits, why they are playing out as still worthy. Having unmovable super with just THREE hits won't even feel as powerful as it should... Have you looked for Falchion's version like I told you?
-Three: idea about punch counter reminds me too much about Ryo Sakazaki's Tenchi Haohken. I don't think you need it, at least because you already have IchiNiSan, which is basicaly THREE powerful punches.
So, just go on with that you already have.
#77  July 08, 2017, 04:45:13 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Well don't get me wrong, liked some of your ideas. Put some thought into this today and this was what I came up with. Super happy with it now:

Specials:
--------------
Kaunta - Half Circle Backward + any button
The punch versions counter high attacks, the kick buttons counter low attacks. This functions exactly like Yamazaki's taunt and counter where he holds a pose for a couple of seconds and then does a powerful counter attack if hit. It stays on the screen a while unlike Geese's. Also, there is only a high and low version, no middle version. But yeah I liked your ideas about the throws. The punch animations are of Retsu doing a Karate high block. The kick animations are of a Karate low block. If hit he does a powerful counter throw.

Rush Punch - Zig Zag Backward + Punch
Same as Gouken's dashing palm strike from SF4, it goes through projectiles. The only differences are the command and the fact that it is done with a closed fist. If the first one hits, you can add two more. The second hit is an elbow strike to the sternum done with the opposite (rear) hand. The third hit is a double palm strike to the face which is used in Kempo Karate as an eye gouge with the thumbs.

Ryoku - Half Circle Forward + any button
Retsu bends his knees and squats down slightly in the horse stance and rears back like he is going to do a punch. He holds this pose for a second. This is NOT a counter but an unblockable strike with extremely slow start up and recovery. 5 of these can kill most characters. It can counter all basic attacks, supers and specials and can parry projectiles. The only things it can not counter are projectiles that hit multiple times or multiple projectiles. This is similar to the move Dan Has in SVC Chaos or the unblockables from the Tekken series. The kick version counters high and medium attacks and takes the animation of Ken's middle kick from the Alpha series. The punch version like his straight punch from SF1 but with the knees slightly bent and can hit standing and crouching opponents. I wanted to pay tribute to the basic attacks in SF1 that did lots of damage.

Supers:
--------------------
Kicking Line - Double quarter circle forward + Kick(s)

This move is more like the Punching super that Fei Long has.  The Ichi Ni San is like the Shin Shoryuken.

The strength of the button pressed determines how many kicks he does:
LK = 2 kicks
MK = 3 kicks
HK = 4 kicks

For the first kick, he takes a step forward and does a front kick to the body with his rear leg, for the second kick he does a spinning heel kick with the opposite leg, the third kick is a crescent kick with the lead leg and finally it is a shuffle side kick (Like Ryu's SF3 shuffle side kick).  The final kick sends the opponent accros the screen if it connects but only hits in the level 3 version. It also bounces the opponent off the walls.

Earth Shattering Punch - Quarter Circle Forward x 2 + Punch
Retsu gets into the horse stance, raises his rear arm up, and then slams his fist into the ground, must be jumped or blocked low. If not, the opponent is lauched into the air and loses about a 4th of a lifebar. This can set up his Rush Punch or Kaunta. The strength of the button pressed determines the damage and how high the opponent goes into the air.

Ichi - Ni - San (one, two, three) - Quarter Circle Backward x 2 + Punch

* Can Only Be Done at Level 3*

This is his version of the Shin Shoryuken. Retsu rears back with his lead hand and does a palm strike to the body, followed by an elbow to the sternum, then a double palm strike to the body like Yun and Yang's double palm strike. After each hit he says, "Ichi!" "Ni!" "San!" If it misses he does a taunt where he bows his head and prays like his win pose from SF1. This is his best bet against grapplers.
Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:51:00 am by SiL3Nt J
#78  July 09, 2017, 06:37:20 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Tried to recreate his SF1 death pose and fixed the front sleeve on his stance. Also, just for shits and giggles, did a recolor of his stance with color separation based on his original colors in SF1. Might be a good alternate color once he's finished:

EDIT

touched up the arm and hair, I think I like this one better:

Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:46:22 am by SiL3Nt J
#79  July 10, 2017, 11:04:55 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
You should change the light on his arm, so it looks like the light is affecting the top of his arm, and not the side.

Shit
#80  July 10, 2017, 11:11:23 pm
if only capcom cared enough to remake Street fighter 1 because if every character in sf1 was like this
this will be a great way to make awesome versions of the sf1 characters
i will love to do some coding to see the characters/sprites in action