YesNoOk

Gaming's Fest of the Best - A "celebration of gaming history" as a 2D fighter (Read 1276 times)

Started by SquidlyPoli1, April 19, 2024, 09:02:31 pm
Gaming's Fest of the Best - A "celebration of gaming history" as a 2D fighter
#1  April 19, 2024, 09:02:31 pm
  • Did I hear something about a scooby snack?
    • USA
    • squidlypoli1.neocities.org
I have been working on stuff over the past three years or so despite the fact that the only thing I've actually made public has been a JUS Terry Bogard nobody really cares about which I assume is due to the fact that it's JUS and isnt particularly flashy despite that being a hallmark of the style. I've had this weird want to make a full game instead of just making characters as I go along, but never really thought of a decent idea for it until now. First it was a primarily Sega-based fighter or really a "good" Sega vs Capcom but then I realized that really ambitious prerendered ikemen thing Madxruler was doing beat me to the punch. Then it was a Nintendo vs Capcom revival with whatever sprites I could find since I had a hand in the overambitious original one but then I realized a lot of the characters I wanted to make didnt have sprites I actually wanted to use so I kinda just gave up on mugen/ikemen stuff and just went along with my college work (mainly C++) with the occasional Lawl moveset writeup.

Then I had an idea. Since I am kinda absorbed in the Smash community and they do value the idea of a "celebration of gaming history", why don't I make a mugen fighter with that premise? It wouldn't be in the same way that Smash does it but it would still have a lot of rich characters. I'm already super familiar with the way mugen works and it would be a unique idea compared to what everyone else is doing, so I personally feel like it'd have a lot of merit. I just need to figure out where exactly I want to go with it, but I do have some ideas.
Spoiler: Gameplay stuff (click to see content)
Spoiler: Characters (click to see content)

What exactly would you want to see out of a game like this? I'm open to suggestions, primarily because I want to hear what others would think of the idea rather than just myself.
Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 09:06:40 pm by SquidlyPoli1
Re: Gaming's Fest of the Best - A "celebration of gaming history" as a 2D fighter
#2  April 25, 2024, 05:58:14 am
  • Did I hear something about a scooby snack?
    • USA
    • squidlypoli1.neocities.org
I've been thinking about this off and on over the week and I feel like I kinda just chucked my first post out the door, just to get it out to people, and I don't really know if it actually stuck or not. I've been thinking about other characters to include than the ones I listed (especially with unrepresented genres such as RPGs and shmups), alongside assists and what their functions would be like. I also feel like I kinda want to change my mind on the whole "no nintendo/sony/microsoft" rule since it would be kinda limiting and I don't really know if people would be on board with such a game if it didn't have that sort of stuff in there. It's a 2D fighter with very similar ideas to stuff like KoF 2000 and DBFC and not a platform fighter like smash is, and I feel like the whole "two attack buttons that are autocombos but also actual normals sometimes" idea may already be a bit wack.

I also don't really know if I want to commit to it. It's a fun idea to think about, but I also feel like I could be doing better, fresher things with my time than a silly mugen asset dump. I think about a lot of other things I want to do in the current moment and sometimes I wonder if making this would be worth it or not. It's certainly not premier resume material even if I somehow find a loophole that allows me to frame mugen work as knowing how to work with state machines. Maybe I should just keep mugen stuff as a low priority and not get super ambitious with it? I don't really want to put too much on my plate, especially with how many other things I'm involved in...