YesNoOk

Guilty Gear Strive: Steam/Play4/5/and Rollback-Netcode (Read 1666230 times)

Started by yaret, August 05, 2019, 04:39:21 am
Share this topic:
Re: Guilty Gear Strive: Steam/Play4/5/and Rollback-Netcode
#201  July 26, 2024, 11:41:01 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Why is Venom back? I thought he retired?

Also, where the FUCK is Jam? She's been sitting inside the game's files since launch! And yes, that's a brand new model and not a leftover from Xrd.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

So true.
I fucking gave up on Strive because of Jam's absence...
I don't give a a shit anymore.
Basically, every single character announcement felt sour even the freaking bedman whatever...
And now they basically announce all the upcoming charcters for a season, and still no Jam.

I'll play Tekken 8 and Street Fighter 6...
#202  July 26, 2024, 08:31:49 pm
    • Brazil
Why is Venom back? I thought he retired?

Also, where the FUCK is Jam? She's been sitting inside the game's files since launch! And yes, that's a brand new model and not a leftover from Xrd.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Okay... why are people using "retirement" as a reason for Venom to not come back? Like, it's not just you, I've seen this repeated over and over by people around social media and it's such a nothing reason. If literal death isn't enough to stop most characters, what makes anyone think retirement is?

Also, I didn't know there were Jam files in the game, now I know why people expect her so much.

So true.
I fucking gave up on Strive because of Jam's absence...
I don't give a a shit anymore.
Basically, every single character announcement felt sour even the freaking bedman whatever...
And now they basically announce all the upcoming charcters for a season, and still no Jam.

I'll play Tekken 8 and Street Fighter 6...
You're gonna give up on a game because of one char? I have my favourites too, but don't you think that's too much?
#203  July 27, 2024, 10:37:26 am
    • Netherlands
Okay... why are people using "retirement" as a reason for Venom to not come back? Like, it's not just you, I've seen this repeated over and over by people around social media and it's such a nothing reason. If literal death isn't enough to stop most characters, what makes anyone think retirement is?

As of late this topic is pretty debated within the FGC since most major fighting games started to have an increase on narrative. On the one hand you have people saying that the narrative shouldn't have to reflect the roster (i.e. dead or retired doesn't bar a character from appearing in future titles, even if non-canon or not neccesarily in the story) whilst others feel like if you're gonna commit to offing a character in-story it should have consequences (with laternatives being new characters inheriting old movesets for example). We recently saw the return of both M. Bison and Heihachi who had been killed off (numerous times actually lol) but keep returning. In a way this kind of invalidates any stakes a story in their respective settings can have, as well as lowkey invalidating their respective heirs Ed and Reina.

Venom is a bit of a unique case since he explicitly retired from the assassins guild. I get why people feel like him becoming playable again invalidates in arc in Xrd but idk I'll see how it plays out first. I think Venom choosing to still fight but for himself rather than for Zato/the guild doesn't backtrack on what he decided back in Xrd.

So far Guilty Gear has also been the most consequential in character deaths out of all major fighting games, with both Kliff and Romeo dying and staying death thus far. We'll see how it sticks after Strive.