YesNoOk

PROJECT: NG (The Newgrounds Fighter) (Read 6666 times)

Started by Notakin, November 17, 2022, 02:10:16 am
PROJECT: NG (The Newgrounds Fighter)
#1  November 17, 2022, 02:10:16 am
    • USA
This is my 2nd post and I'm already introducing a project I got in the works, I don't have too much to show so I'm just gonna lay this here.

The name's Notakin, if you were peaking in the introduction forums, in case you didn't, I am a pixel artist. I'm also working on a project based around Newgrounds media, one of the major crossover fighters i could ever mold out. PROJECT: NG is one of them. This is an IKEMEN based project, now I'm not that familiar to MUGEN besides the mods, but I'll do the best I can to make a game out of this. This very project is inspired by SNK and Capcom fighting games, with a hint of Skullgirls, while emulating the NEO GEO Pocket Color sprite style.

Here's some stuff I got out so far

The Characters
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
The roster shares the same characters as Newgrounds Rumble, another crossover Newgrounds fighting game, but there's also a few newcomers too, as you can see, there's Original Piconjo, Henry Stickmin, Tricky, Darnel, Red Knight, Meat Boy and Blockhead.

The Gameplay Mockups
Everything here is subject to change, especially the last one, I tend the game to look exactly like this, The music should also sound like it looks too.

I am not alone in this though, I have the team mostly complete;

• Me - Creator, Main Sprite Artist and Animator (Mostly everything visual)
  • matt. - Pixel Art (Did Nene, and Hank)
  • Nautical - Co-Director and UI Designer (Right Hand Man)
  • skyeetee - Artist and Animator (Did some cool promo art before)
  • IGJH - Pixel Artist and Animator (wicked sick artist)
  • Yuri Kardly - Pixel Artist (Helps with the backgrounds, also likes samurais a lot to help me make samurai asshole)
  • Shy Fire - Musician (Haven't really done anything just yet)
  • Yamahearted - Musician (Knows how to work that PSG track)

I still have no programmer to help me put this all together but soon I'll figure this out. I wish I could be able to find one though.

Let me know what you guys think so far.
Most Regards
Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 03:28:59 am by Notakin
Re: PROJECT: NG (The Newgrounds Fighter)
#2  November 17, 2022, 03:23:10 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Was just going to ask what was something you were planning to make. Awesome Pocket aesthetic, excellent choice to make the game vibrant but not too taxing to sprite. Always wanted a Newgrounds Rumble sequel too, best of luck guys.

ROS

#3  November 17, 2022, 04:29:27 am
A fighting game based off Newgrounds Rumble sounds exciting, looking forward to more progress.
#4  December 07, 2022, 12:47:48 am
    • USA
This looks way better than the CSS on Newgrounds six months ago. I dm you on Newgrounds a month ago about some of my issues from what I've seen so far (most notable were some of the sprites, sprites alt colors, portraits, and stages) and I start to feel less worry about the project from each post you've been showing off.

The new sprites look better and I'm super happy to see Alloy and P-Bot sprites changed. P-Bot looks like a Transformer character and Alloy looks faithful to his cancelled GBA game and his new Alloy reboot design. Also massive praise to Matt for the incredible Hank and Nene sprite and Yuri for Samurai Asshole sprite for looking faithful to the cancelled Samurai Asshole reboot. Convict sprite is beginning to grow on me the more I look at it and I can understand why you would change his design to make his moves and animations better since Newgrounds Rumble Convict wasn't balanced because his "gimmick" is heavily relied on RNG (it also doesn't help that his aerial attacks are identical and don't combo into anything which caused him to be the worst character to have air combos in a game that relied on air combos). The only sprite I don't like is Fancy Pants because of his pose. Fancy Pants is laid back and chill in his idle animation and in Newgrounds Rumble Brad told NegativeOne for Fancy Pants story mode that he shouldn't be in a violent spree like the other character but instead all he want is free ice cream. And his head is a bit too big when compare to Piconjo and Henry head.

The stage for Wartorn before looked super generic, it was a let down compare to Newgrounds Rumble Wartorn which was simple but the backgrounds looked like it came out of a Tankman cartoon and have missiles that attack the player/opponents for stage hazards to give the stage a bit more personality. It's my least favorite stage for Newgrounds Rumble but it does have charm. The new Wartorn stage you've posted, I LOVE IT SO MUCH. Reminds me of Pico School stage from Newgrounds Rumble and it's perfect. The enemies/antagonists from Tankmen cartoon appearing in the stage as they're taking over Wartorn is amazing. Another nice detail is one of the Tankmen taking a piss next to a statue of Captain (nice reference) but Captain's statue head is missing which gave me Pico's School Newgrounds Rumble stage vibes where Cassandra has destroyed the school as you see her in her Penilian form in the background. You guys did your Newgrounds Rumble homework when making this, congratulation, I know its singe stage but damn that stage look good. 

I know I said at the end of the dm to not make these Newgrounds character as functions and the reason why I said that is because someone at Capcom who were trying to defend Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite roster said "these characters are just functions". The reason why I love Newgrounds Rumble so much is how faithful "some" of these characters are. Pico have moves for both Unloaded and Pico's School 2. P-Bot have moves that references robots such as Transformer and Huitzil from Darkstalkers. Salad Fingers have moves that references his cartoon such as him hitting you with Hubert Cumberdale, his rusty spoons, tap, and kettle, and his gun power-up is Hubert Cumberdale screaming as a reference to the Friends episode. Even Tankman, TANKMAN, a character that was added late into Newgrounds Rumble has references to the first Tankmen cartoon such as Tankman using Steve weapon and a similar running animation. Even when you take damage or get killed is a reference to Captain falling down from his parachute landing. Small detail like that is great, but I want these references to fit the moveset because although don't want these characters to have generic moves, I also don't want their moveset to be messy. Pico and Alloy should be brawler or beginners characters similar to Ryu or Mario from Smash Bros. P-Bot should be a tank/grappler, a mix of Huitzil and...basically a big strong grappler character. Convict is basically Double from Skull Girls at this point but I would want some of his moves to reference his first and only appearance, Pico vs Convict where he would shapeshift to Bear from Pico vs Bear and his arm shapeshifting to spikes...also did you know that Convict guest started in a game called Strike Force Heroes: Extraction. He had a different design and it reveal that he is born in Australia. I haven't played the game since it on mobile devices but I find it hilarious that this murder psychopath was working with the military. It's like how Sony guest star Kratos from God Of War in a golf game. Although would love for one of his alt color to be a reference to Strike Force Heroes: Extraction for Project: NG.

I want to talk about the alt colors and the cut characters for Newgrounds Rumble but I don't want to make this comment a copy and paste of the dm I've posted so I'll leave it here since this comment is getting way too long. Good luck with the project.
New #5  December 29, 2022, 04:01:20 am
    • USA
Told yah I'll be back for some more Project: NG wishlist. Starting off with what I promised, alt colors: The alt colors that were shown so far are great. Some of them have great references to other characters and other media while others are... disappointing. Convict is missing an alt color that is so obvious that I'm shocked that it isn't his default color. Convict two designs colors aren't featured. His brown and black appearance isn't here and I find that to be strange. He even doesn't have an alt where he transforms into a bear and that one is a reference to Pico Vs Bear. Other than that I think most of Convict alt colors are great. Pico has a similar problem to Convict, he doesn't have his original color of orange hair. Another problem I have is there are so many blue alts, and for the number of blue alts, not one is a reference to Otis who is literally the most popular fanmade Pico character, but Convict has an alt that references Otis.

To give you a ranking of what color I like for Pico: Alt 1, 2, 3, 10, 4, 6, 7, 5, 9, 8. Two alts I would remove are 9 and 8, Pico has a lot of blue alts, and none of them is a reference to Otis which makes it worse. The best alts would be 10, 4, 2, 3, and 6. They are great references to other Pico School characters and they pop in really well.

And Convict: Alt 1, 2, 7, 5, 9, 6, 11, 4, 3, 10, 8. Two alts I would remove is 10 and 8, Convict already has a green alt and the one that did it better is 3. The best alts have to be 2, 5, 7, and 9. 5 and 7 are great callbacks to Nene and Otis but the other alts like 2 and 9 are amazing to look at.

Alt colors wishlist for other characters: Samurai Asshole alt that references his original/classic design, his master/father from the first game, Draco, Temple Guard, Penilians, and a few of the scrapped characters from Samurai Asshole reboot. And P-Bot is a slam dunk, just give him alts that reference all of the other bots and you're good to go. Another Convict alt color I would like is from Pico Vs Convict where one of Pico's teachers was killed by Convict.

What I love about Newgrounds Rumble so much is the story. It's a basic plot of "characters go to a tournament" but I kinda like it. It also has some great character interactions that would either team up or fight against. I'm wondering if it's possible for Project: NG to have those moments. I don't know what Project: NG sets to be. Either a 1v1 like a traditional fighter, 3v3 like MvC, or a 2v2 tag team? But if you're asking me what game fit the best for a traditional fighting game for Newgrounds Rumble it would be Capcom vs SNK 2. Weird I know but let me explain. Capcom Vs SNK 2 has a unique gameplay mechanic called "Ratio System" where you can mix and match characters by having one character, two characters, or three characters. And this mechanic fits really well for Newgrounds Rumble. Obviously, it would be balanced by how many characters you have on your team. Having one character causes that character to have stronger attacks and higher health. Two characters is neutral. Three characters cause all characters less health and weaker attack for the sake of having three characters on your team.

Ok so for each arcade mode, you can only pick one character for the arcade mode than making a team, let's say you picked Pico. When going to the arcade mode, you notice that the enemy team has one or two extra characters meanwhile you have Nene in your team despite not picking her. On the final level, you notice that you have a team of Pico, Nene, and Darnell fighting against Rumble Piconjo and Convict. This would be a great way to get that crossover aspect that made Newgrounds Rumble so great. Having these characters teaming up or fighting against you in arcade mode would be incredible. Here's another example: You picked Hank and for the first three levels it's a 1-on-1 battle, but at the fourth level you have to fight in a 1-on-3 match of buffed Henchmans/Grunts that are the equivalent of having one character. There is so much possibility for each character to have a unique experience for having 1-to-3 characters for each level of every arcade mode.

Edit: Right after I was done writing this comment, a few hours later on Project: NG Twitter account, a new announcement on character re-sprites. Welp time to talk about them.

A nice detail that each sprite have is the shading. It makes the sprites pop out more than before. Pico, P-Bot, Samurai A., Hank, Convict, Fancy Pants, Red Knight, Blockhead, and Henchman/Grunt. Convict is the best one by far because it gives off this mysterious ego about the character which I like (Q from Street Fighters vibes).

Now for the redesigns, starting with Nene: Nene is so far the only character with the most re-sprites. Her original sprites didn't look as good when compared to some characters but her re-sprite made by matt looked great and I thought there was nothing wrong with the re-sprite. Now, this is her second re-sprite and it blows away the previous sprite out of the park. For starters, the design is a reference to Pico School 2 than her previous sprites which was an interpretation of what Nene would look like in a Neo Geo Pocket Color (which I like) and the sprite has a lot of pixel detail than her previous two sprites.

Alien Hominid: I like the previous Alien Hominid sprite so when I saw the new sprite for him I wasn't digging it at first. It does look like Alien Hominid from 2004 and a bit of his GBA look. But the more I look at it and saw a couple of references to his 2004 design, I slowly started to like it again. I liked the previous one because it was a mix of both 2002 and 2004 Alien Hominid designs. The eyes and body are 2002 AH and his head shape is similar to 2004 AH.

Meat Boy: Meat Boy has had the biggest glow-up. At first, I thought the previous sprite design was a reference to his original Meat Boy design. So seeing the re-sprite, this is the box art of Super Meat Boy as a fighter. This is a great re-sprite similar to P-Bot.

Also, I guess this means I gotta update the tier list lol: https://tiermaker.com/create/project-ng-15072514
Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 06:59:45 pm by PhantomT5