YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] Street Fighter Alpha/CPS2 Sprite thread (Read 2237413 times)

Started by Formerly Hoshi, April 21, 2010, 09:49:06 pm
Re: [Theme Thread] Street Fighter Alpha/CPS2 Sprite thread
#781  July 08, 2024, 09:27:58 pm
  • Wandering....
Thanks you, guys.

A few more:

This is very stunning work that looks like an official art

Seeing ELGado reminds me the few distinction with Final Fight Revenge portraits in a way

Imagine if Capcom did this back in the day of FFR and SF1 together

#782  August 29, 2024, 09:00:43 am
    • Venezuela
Hi, I made these Goku and Freeza in a mix of SFA's and Darkstalkers' style a while ago, this is how I imagine a hypothetical CPS2 DBZ game would look like (based on their Extreme Butoden sprites btw)
Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 09:05:54 am by Ringloom
#783  August 29, 2024, 11:28:45 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Proportions are a little small compared to other cps2 characters, but outside of that, those 2 look great.
They honestly almost look like they came out from an official dbz game.
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#784  August 30, 2024, 05:19:52 am
    • Brazil
    • lyricasky.neocities.org

Hi, I made these Goku and Freeza in a mix of SFA's and Darkstalkers' style a while ago, this is how I imagine a hypothetical CPS2 DBZ game would look like (based on their Extreme Butoden sprites btw)

The sprites itself are very good, but they don't look SFA or Darkstalkers style to me...
SFA and DS styles are a bit different from each other so it's hard to replicate both on the same sprite. For example, DS has a black outline that's not present in SFA or MvC, so it's easier if you pick one game.
Since I'm more familiar with SFA and MvC, I'll use it as a reference. The first things I notice (besides the size, which on your sprites are quite small compared to CPS2) are the shading and proportions. Capcom tends to exaggerate proportions, and by exaggerating, I really mean it. Take a look at any shoto's feet and you'll see what I mean. They also use 5 shading tones (usually) for clothing and skin, yours seems to use less (I think you used 4?). Try using references when translating to a particular style, if you're not doing it already, and take colors from actual CPS2 sprites, for example, you can color Goku's gi using the colors from Ken's gi, or if you want something more orange-ish, Spider-Man's suit from any versus game.
As I said, standalone these are very good sprites. :thumbsup:
Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 05:23:45 am by Lyrica
#785  August 30, 2024, 07:09:25 am
    • Venezuela
Thanks! Regarding the size, I used Alpha Ryu as a base, I did some comparisons between SSJ Goku's EB stance (where he stands still) with Ryu's SFA stance and I did the calculus with those, since bot of them are 5'9 or 1.75cm, and taking that as as reference, I downscaled Goku's base sprite and started spriting using it as a reference (same thing goes with Freeza)
Regarding the proportions, I tried to exaggerate them using parts directly from the original sprites, but I can see that they don't look exaggerated enough (specially with Freeza) though, if you compare Goku with some sprites like Guy or Strider Hiryu, the proportions look more in place
For the colors, I did what I could with Goku since I didn't want to surpass the 15 color limit, I also used 2 colors for the hair for an hypothetical SSJ sprite so he doesn't lose detail in any part. For Freeza the opposite thing happened, there were some colors left available since I used less than 15, I considered adding a rim light like in Iceman's sprite but I think It would've looked out of place in comparison to Goku.
And thanks again for the advice! I'll take the details into account more carefully when making more sprites in this style, with that I could get a little closer to the CPS2 style
#786  August 30, 2024, 07:16:15 am
    • Venezuela
Btw I also demade Dudley's sprite in the SFA style
#787  August 30, 2024, 02:26:39 pm
    • Brazil
    • lyricasky.neocities.org

I see, yeah, I think you could exaggerate a bit Goku's arms muscles (he is a bit slim comparing to Ryu) and torso. The Gi's fold shading also is a bit different, Capcom tends to simplify them while DBZ in general adds a lot of folds and details on clothes, maybe making it more loose would help to get the SFA look. Another thing I forgot to mention, since SFA has a wider aspect ratio (that was shrunk by the cabinets), you could experiment making the sprites wider. For reference, CPS2 screen is 384 pixels wide srunk to 320, so you can make the sprite in normal size and stretch it 20% horizontally. That's just an idea.
Now with dudley it looks a lot more consistent. I like the colors here, you eliminated almost 100% of the SF3 look and it really looks like a SFA sprite, good job!
#788  October 10, 2024, 06:14:05 am
    • Venezuela
It's me again. This time, I made this Ingrid in the SFA style. I took some notes from the version [Judas] posted here some years ago, to try to make the definitive version. Corrections are welcome, I want to polish this as much as possible  ;)
Last Edit: October 10, 2024, 06:15:08 am by Ringloom