YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 18429165 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#1901  August 16, 2018, 06:14:22 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
I don't think that reaction time is as one-sided as you think. One of the issues in the original Gundam series is that Amuro's budding Newtype powers also came with absurd reaction speed. He actually started to break his Gundam because he could take manual control so quickly that the Gundam's frame was damaged over time. [Most combat in early Gundam is automated to a large degree, with manual override controls for more precise actions]

He had to get an upgrade later on so that the Gundam's frame could keep up with his manual control.
#1902  August 22, 2018, 07:06:00 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
Optimus Prime

I have the feeling that since Gundam Epyon defeated the Tiger Zord than maybe Optimus would take this one
#1903  August 23, 2018, 01:43:56 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
As nice as it is to spot patterns in their formulas, franchise X losing to franchise Y doesn't mean Z gets a free win.  It would make some sense if they sought out a match that let franchise X win against Y the next time, but the one fight between Gundam and Power Rangers of all things was weird enough, and personally not enough connection between the two to warrant the fight.

That said, the Transformers' wild inconsistency and Optimus with his stupidly large gap in experience between the two still makes me believe he'll win.  Granted, I want Amuro to win, and there are things in his favor, like pretty sure the Gundarium composition of the Gundam is gonna be tougher than the Cybertronian metal that Optimus is made out of, given he's susceptible to common human firearms.  On top of that, him being an actual living giant robot, he will feel the pain throughout combat, while the Gundam can be torn apart and still remain functional with no detriment to Amuro, minus the use of whatever limb is lost of course. (Willing to bet in the actual fight it will come to Optimus beheading the Gundam only to be shocked at it still operating just fine.  Sort of a callback to the original Transformers comics with Shockwave beheading Optimus, now that I think of it)

Question for the deeper Gundam fans.  Gundanium and Gundarium are more or less the same thing for different timelines and universes.  Is it acceptable to compare the two to be equally durable?  Since Gundanium is said to be many, many times stronger and lighter than titanium, while Gundarium is just the fictionalized replacement metal they made on the moon since titanium would be a poor metal of choice for a mechanized robot.  Or are they too different for that to be fair?
Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 01:50:20 am by Long John Killer
#1904  August 23, 2018, 03:38:35 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I'll be your budget Jmorphman for this one. They actually can't be compared. Consider Gundarium a raw metal: very strong but hard to work with. By the time they were at Zeta they were on Gundarium Gamma, the third wave alloy. Now, this is maybe just an inside joke from the staff but in Gundam Wing there's a scene where Quatre is looking at the blueprints for Sandrock and the metal is mentioned as being Gundarium Theta which means that Gundanium is an eighth generation alloy which is probably why those things were nigh-indestructible.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:47:22 am by Speedpreacher
#1905  August 24, 2018, 05:47:41 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
Well the question is how deep into the lore you wanna go here. The term itself "Gundarium Alloy" was propaganda for during/after the One Year War. The original name was Lunar Titanium alloy, which wasn't just a replacement or substitute for Titanium, it was actually much, much stronger. Scaled up Machine Gun fire was 100% totally useless while Rocket Launchers would "only" smack the Gundam around. Anything above that was still dangerous to the unit though.
#1906  August 26, 2018, 10:26:08 pm
OMM
#1907  August 29, 2018, 07:30:51 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
Gundam preview is out.
Seems mostly on point but lacking in a few details, but I suppose that's what the full video will be for.

#1908  August 30, 2018, 12:56:24 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I did not actually know that there was just one called “the Gundam.”  I thought all of the robots on that show were just called gundams.
#1909  August 30, 2018, 01:35:09 am
    • USA
It's the originator.  Like from one Superhero came other super heroes.  And those not directly named Gundams are just mobile suits.  But granted, how the large majority of others are named "*blank* Gundam" and its been years since the original, just calling it The Gundam does tend to get confusing, so it's just as often referred to with its full name RX-78-2.

Less catchy, for sure, but it helps.

Something occurs to me.  Optimus doesn't have a consistent track record of what the hell his size is.  I'm gonna presume they'll go for the size closest to Gundam's for a more straight-forward fight to animate, but Optimus has ranged from around the size of Andre the Giant to twice Gundam's size.  In the G1 show and original comics, he was about 3 times the height of an average man, so Gundam being big enough to fit that whole complicated cockpit into just its chest for Amuro, just by scaling off that we're looking at Gundam being 1.5 times bigger than Optimus, that about right?  It'd be awesome if the TF wiki had height measurements, but lurking around there I'm not seeing them.
Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:56:50 am by Long John Killer
#1910  August 30, 2018, 03:22:50 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Well the question is how deep into the lore you wanna go here. The term itself "Gundarium Alloy" was propaganda for during/after the One Year War. The original name was Lunar Titanium alloy, which wasn't just a replacement or substitute for Titanium, it was actually much, much stronger. Scaled up Machine Gun fire was 100% totally useless while Rocket Launchers would "only" smack the Gundam around. Anything above that was still dangerous to the unit though.
Eh, Luna Titanium/Gundarium's imperiousness is frequently overstated. True: it was incredibly durable and could shrug off a Zaku's 120mm machine gun fire, but it starts to falter under repeated volleys in the same location. Additionally, weapons that fired ammo at lower calibers but higher velocities had a much greater effect on Luna Titanium (this would be the 0080/0083 Zaku/Dom machine gun, not the classic, 1979-ass Zaku machine gun) Also, apparently, the machine guns used early on in the original Gundam for the scenes where the Gundam was shrugging off gunfire may have been chambered with a much smaller round (this would allow for the Zaku to carry much more ammunition for the types of soft targets they were bound to fight; after all, they weren't going to be encountering any enemy mobile suits, since they didn't exist!)

In any event, machine gun fire in general is not a great weapon to use against Luna Titanium sporting mobile suits; even Char—when he was trying to to tag Amuro enough times in the same spots on the Gundam's armor to hopefully cause some major damage—still couldn't manage to pull it off, and that was only Amuro's second time piloting the Gundam!

However, the bazookas used by Zakus and Doms (with the Dom version carrying a much larger explosive round) were in fact pretty dangerous to the Gundam. They obviously couldn't do as much damage as they could to a non-LT armored mobile suit, but they were still able to cause some very visible damage to the Gundam! They'd probably be able to remove a limb or something if anyone managed to hit Amuro in the same place twice, but of course, they already were absurdly lucky to have hit him the first time around, no way are they repeating that stroke of luck!

I did not actually know that there was just one called “the Gundam.”  I thought all of the robots on that show were just called gundams.
>:[

They're all mobile suits! Some of those mobile suits have the name "Gundam"! IT'S VERY SIMPLE >:[ >:[ >:[
Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:41:21 am by Jmorphman
#1911  August 30, 2018, 04:50:43 am
    • USA
I want to poke fun on how amusing it is to see someone nerd out about such minute details, but then I realize if this was Master Chief versus Samus I would be doing the same thing.

In Amuro's favor against Optimus, it is unlikely that he would specifically focus his approach to combatting the Gundam to attack a single point repeatedly.  All the more-so that he likely does not know Amuro is in the chestpiece, just going for what would appear to be fatal wounds to a Transformer.
#1912  August 30, 2018, 04:09:31 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
Look at it this way. It's like someone has a shotgun a rifle and a pistol. They're all guns, but a pistol is not a shotgun. All Mobile Suits in the series are Mobile Suits, but not all Mobile Suits are Gundam. Looking back over the video, the year given 2179 seems a bit off. The actual begging of the Universal Century has always been murky but that exact year feels like it was pulled out of thin air. But it is true that MSG is supposed to be a space opera fiction version of our world as it makes several references to it's history, such as the "middle ages" dictator Hitler.

I'm hoping this doesn't turn out like the Android 18 vs Ms. Marvel video where I agree with the outcome but the details on both sides get horribly overlooked. Android 18 can't absorb energy!
#1913  August 30, 2018, 07:00:51 pm
    • Germany
All the more-so that he likely does not know Amuro is in the chestpiece, just going for what would appear to be fatal wounds to a Transformer.

That would also be the chest, because the Spark of the Transformers is somewhere in the Chest if I'm not mistaken.
#1914  August 31, 2018, 07:15:57 pm
original gundam would lose ... even in it's own series the original gundam was outdated and amuro replaced it with a better one.
#1915  August 31, 2018, 11:41:22 pm
    • USA
I'm hoping this doesn't turn out like the Android 18 vs Ms. Marvel video where I agree with the outcome but the details on both sides get horribly overlooked. Android 18 can't absorb energy!
Welcome to Death Battle, where the rules are made up and the counterpoints don't matter.  You get used to it, the majority of episodes I disagree with, either the victor or the reasoning why when they get the right side.  To be fair for that episode though, they have called out their own errors on 18's nerfed speed (Not that they used the much higher speeds that other debaters have shown to be much faster than their set-in-stone Dragon Ball stats, but still) and later on that yeah, 18 and 17 specifically were designed NOT to absorb energy, them having that ability in a game because they're standing in for 19 and Gero being absent so they get their skills doesn't count as canon.

That would also be the chest, because the Spark of the Transformers is somewhere in the Chest if I'm not mistaken.
That's actually a good point that I overlooked, but to Optimus once he realizes the chest is much more durable than the rest of his opponent and in his mind he could just cut off the head and win I'd imagine he'd go for something else rather than focus on the chest.

And now there's a preview out for the fight in the next DBC.

It, uh, doesn't look as polished as I'd imagine.  Very janky.  But whatever, music sounds fun.

Well, I guess they're upping Optimus's durability from what I remember, if he can just take shots from Amuro's beam rifle.
Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:29:26 pm by Long John Killer
#1916  September 05, 2018, 07:15:22 pm
it's on now.
Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 07:19:34 pm by D.R.B
#1917  September 05, 2018, 07:59:38 pm
  • Niigasan
10/10
#1918  September 05, 2018, 11:56:37 pm
    • USA
Eh....no, I can't rate it that high.  The animation was bugging me throughout, things just didn't look right.  And yeah, G1's inconsistency got to me, things I thought were standard feats for Optimus simply no longer applied because they went with the best stuff shown.  Ah well.  Got too hyped for it expecting more, will say it's still a great episode.

It was fun.  I enjoyed each side's breakdown (Less-so them taking shots at Amuro's Newtype powers but not at the ridiculousness of Transformers as a whole?  Be fair, guys) and yeah, with what they used it makes sense.  I wonder where they got their Optimus size from though, the wiki for him didn't specify a single height at it really was all over the place between the show, toys and comics.

Next battle puzzles me.  I know of Nightwing and Daredevil of course, not that I particularly cared for either of them exceedingly so never got deep into their stories, but I never really drew a connection between the two?  Unless it's as basic as vigilantes, then by god, there's simply so many other better options.  But I've also seen people pining for this specific match for a while now, so I don't get what the big deal is between them?

Hey wait a minute.  I just realized, a travesty has been committed.  How did we get through probably the biggest giant robot fight they'll ever have, and not once reference Megas XLR?

For shame.
Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 12:32:09 am by Long John Killer
#1919  September 06, 2018, 02:00:24 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
It was fun.  I enjoyed each side's breakdown (Less-so them taking shots at Amuro's Newtype powers but not at the ridiculousness of Transformers as a whole?  Be fair, guys)
Yeah, that was dumb as hell; the whole "newtypes exist because when people live in space without gravity, they get psychic powers" is uh, not actually a thing in Gundam. Like, sure, some of the more zealot-y Newtype advocates will sometimes refer to all of mankind emigrating from Earth to space as a way to "free their souls from gravity", but like... it's a metaphor, dudes.

Gundam has always kept the cause and source of Newtypes, and how and when  their powers manifest, intentionally vauge, but there are a few things that can be definitively stated. Notably, though it's frequently stated in various Gundam series that humans will begin to evolve into Newtypes by living in outer space, there's tons of Newtypes in Gundam that were born on Earth! Some, like Amuro, spent about half their lives in space, but there's also a few like Uso from Victory Gundam, who started manifesting Newtype powers having never once been to space!

And besides, everyone in Gundam who lives in space lives in artifical gravity anyways! No one gets psychic powers from living in zero-G because no one lives in zero-G!!!

Next battle puzzles me.  I know of Nightwing and Daredevil of course, not that I particularly cared for either of them exceedingly so never got deep into their stories, but I never really drew a connection between the two?  Unless it's as basic as vigilantes, then by god, there's simply so many other better options.  But I've also seen people pining for this specific match for a while now, so I don't get what the big deal is between them?
They both fight with sticks.

... I mean, they also both are the more acrobatic of their respective company's street level nonpowered superheroes, but, seriously. It's because of the sticks.
#1920  September 06, 2018, 02:41:30 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
They fight with sticks, are notorious... let's say romantics, were trained in childhood by surly ninja masters and both had famous runs where they fought an uphill battle in a city almost literally ruled by crime

Other than that could not be more different in outlooks, origins, and abilities
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time