YesNoOk

Last movie you watched + 2 lines review. (Read 1102305 times)

Started by walt, August 28, 2007, 04:18:56 am
Share this topic:
Re: Last movie you watched + 2 lines review.
#5021  July 11, 2017, 05:29:15 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Baby Driver

it's that good good Edgar Wright shit. It's just a visual delight, action is top-notch, the editing is perfectly cut, and the way (almost) every second of the movie lines up with the soundtrack is a stunning sight to behold (Wright put a huge amount of time in, before shooting a single frame of this, into very meticulously timing out his storyboards to make sure the various action beats and dialogues matched up with the song being used in that particular scene, and it translated to screen perfectly).

But the script is pretty weak: the lead character is the least interesting character in the movie, the love interest is absurdly underwritten and is barely a character, and it just doesn't pop in the way that Wright's previous films have. I suspect that's due to the script being solely written by Wright; his previous movies have all been co-written with someone else, and there's a definite spark missing from the script. That unfortunately means that this movie is the weakest film Wright's done... but then again, the worst Edgar Wright movie is still leagues better than most movies out there!

Spider-Man: Homecoming

I wasn't super excited about yet another Spider-Man movie (which is surprising cuz he's my absolute favorite super-hero), so I didn't really get super hyped up for this one like I usually end up being for most MCU movies. But I was very glad to find out that this is a really really good movie! It may not hit the highs of the first two Raimi films, but this is still a really really great take on the character, and because there's already been 5 Spider-Man movies prior to this one, the filmmakers really had to stretch out and try a bunch of new and different things with the character. It's a really refreshing take on the character (at least in terms of the movies) that gives me hope that the superhero movie genre still has a lot of new stories and ideas it can bring to the table.
#5022  July 15, 2017, 05:25:04 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
I haven't been posting in here a lot and it's not that I haven't been watching movies, but I just don't always write about them. Let's break that cycle, shall we?

War for the Planet of the Apes

The series has been building up to a really big climax, and War... well it does and doesn't. Without going into spoiler territory, a lot of it is Caesar wrestling with his own emotions regarding humans. It's very neat to see how his visions sometimes have almost hallucinatory traits themselves.

To be honest, as a huge fan of the original series, I had very big doubts about this reboot. There have been so many it's easy to get jaded. But this trilogy managed to take the mythos, update it for the modern audience, and make it have its own beating heart and soul. In general, I love how so much of the story is conveyed visually, without exposition or explanation, and in your interpretation it becomes a lot more personal.

THIS is the big summer movie that deserves your love.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
10/10
#5023  July 16, 2017, 07:17:16 am
  • Seize the coveted miracle in the game of death.
You're Next

Slasher movie where a family is reunited at a house, until people in masks Hunt them down, however they realize that one of the victims is actually a threat.

So I'll be honest here the first 25 minutes or so of the movie really didn't do much for me so I thought this would end up being mediocre at best, however It got progressively better after that. While it's very violent and serious It still has its share of tongue-in-cheek moments which were well done along with some self awareness of the over the top stuff that happens later on.

Pretty fun slasher movie imho, it has a good story and Nice twists.

7.5/10
(DeviantART) - Ignore my username on DA as it was made long before I learned what the fanbase was like...
#5024  August 28, 2017, 06:30:26 pm
  • SNK is life
Death Note (Netflix)

It suffers from a breakneck pace. It tries to do 20 episodes in 100 minutes. There are some changes to Ryuuk's aloof personality, he's a bit more schemey in this one. It's not a masterpiece, but it's not the hugest piece of shit everybody is making it out to be ... it just can't be the masterpiece the anime is because it's a different medium.

Rating: 7/10
#5025  August 28, 2017, 11:23:22 pm
War for the Planet of the Apes

Finally got to see this movie, I didnt watch a single trailer before It so I went in blind. I really enjoyed the first 2 so I was excited while also feeling a bit concerned because some trilogies may not end well.

I was surprised by How great this movie was, it's my favorite one of the trilogy and in all fairness I'd say this is one of the best closure films of a trilogy. One of the things that I liked is how it's actually a bit of a lesser scale event compared to the second one, it's kinda like Logan where it's more of a character driven movie and I loved that.

This is one of those kind of movies that could've been so predictable and all, however It really isnt. I dunno How to explain this but nothing is spoon fed or something like that.

The soundtrack was perfect, it's one of those that sticks with you during scenes. Woody Harrelson was great as always and Andy Serkis again does a great performance as Ceasar (his best one imo)

10/10
(DeviantART) - Ignore my username on DA as it was made long before I learned what the fanbase was like...
#5026  September 04, 2017, 05:34:08 pm
Hardcore Henry.
i really liked it. it was a bit nauseating at times but it was a damn good action movie.
the story was somewhat weak but it carried the movie, and the few characters that are there are not half bad. especially sharlto copley's jimmy and his
the villain was pretty good, his motivation was a bit cliched but he had shown how intimidating and unhinged he was and i liked that. the actor who played him seemed to struggle with his lines delivery at times but those are a few. also, for some reason he has telekinesis powers. but i was okay with it, if he was a normal human henry would've shredded him, i just wish it was explained.
i didn't care for the twist at the end because
i really liked the soundtrack, it was mostly electric music and it fit pretty well with the action.
overall the movie was great 8/10
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#5027  September 08, 2017, 04:59:14 am
It

My brother and I decided to watch this movie after hearing it's and oh man it really is. This horror has it all, tension and good scares/scary stuff and my god is it rated R (I've never read or seen the 90s miniseries so it was quite surprising seeing how violent it is).

One of the things that stood out to me were the child actors, they were very good all across the board, I like that they actually chose very young actors instead of going for the typical hollywood "teenager" that is played by a 20 something actor. The stuff they go through in the movie really made me care about them which is good especially in a horror film where characters can be so badly written but thankfully that isn't the case here.  Bill Skarsgard was so good as Pennywise, he is creepy af and just so weird overall, his transformations were very well done.

There is also a lot of CGI in the movie, but I'm not saying this as a bad thing. The CGI is done very well and in the correct way, as in, it happens when flat out impossible things happen. It's that kind of special effects that you know is CGI but it doesn't off putting at all.

This movie is so funny too which I wasn't expecting either, so there is some good humor which is a pretty cool thing amidst all the supernatural horrific stuff that happens in the movie.

I think it's my favorite horror movie of the year so far, loved the story, characters, and just how it eventually becomes a non-stop suspenseful movie... this in particular reminded me of Oculus which was also a non-stop suspense/horror full of tension, and I fucking love Oculus.

8/10
#5028  September 11, 2017, 06:07:22 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
IT

Really kept me in the edge of my seat. There's some really powerful scenes in this movie, like...

My only complaint is Pennywise himself. Skarsgard did an amazing job on the character itself, but there's something I don't like about him. Probably the layers of CGI. Am far from an old school FX purist, but Pennywise doesn't look "organic", he looks like a china doll. I imagine this was done deliberately, but it ultimately takes from the character, imo. Part of what makes the original miniseries so unsettling is that Pennywise still looks sufficiently human to throw the viewer off and the horrors he shows to the kids have that uncanny valley feel. Compare the original sewer scene. The orginal looks like a weird dream turning into a nightmare. The new one's illumination and Pennywise's appearance makes it clear something is off from the beginning, so the jumpscare isn't as good.
#5029  September 15, 2017, 06:51:18 pm
  • SNK is life
EEEET

The first half of the movie is masterful, the second half suffers a bit from pacing issues IMO. It's a lot closer to the source material, but with a small twist/adaptation they kept under wraps all this time WHICH WORKED GREAT. The child actors are amazing.

8.5 / 10. Recommended

GOH

#5030  September 21, 2017, 01:36:52 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
Predestination (2014)

Great movie. Reminds me of other great movies like Triangle and Memento.

#5031  September 26, 2017, 05:44:40 am
    • USA
IT

It was very good! The child actors are all great, the guy playing Pennywise might not be as good as Tim Curry, but he's certainly no slouch, and it's very well shot.

But I had quite a few problems with some of the choices they made in adapting it:

but yeah, still a solid movie, but hopefully the weirder/dumber choices made in adapting the kids section of the book will be avoided for the next movie, which will tackle the adult bits.
#5032  September 26, 2017, 05:59:01 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
#5033  September 26, 2017, 06:00:52 am
    • USA
We should all be thankful that it was avoided!!!
#5034  September 26, 2017, 01:53:18 pm
  • Was it something I said?
The Boy

This movie was a fresh start of coming back into one of those horror movies, but with a psychiatric twist.
Spoiler: Spoilers here (click to see content)

Overall, not a bad movie, but it's decent enough to be a bit interesting.

6.5/10
#5035  September 26, 2017, 06:56:18 pm
  • SNK is life
some of the more interesting stuff was dropped.

Pennywise looks different
Here’s how Fukunaga and Palmer envision the infamous clown: “Not Bozo, or Ronald McDonald, but something more old world, freakish, like that of a 19th-century acrobat — bald, lithe, almost child-like.” Fukunaga considered Ben Mendelsohn and Mark Rylance for the part, but he eventually cast the younger Will Poulter. (Poulter left the project with Fukunaga, leaving room for Bill Skarsgård to jump in.)
(But ... I thought that's precisely how Pennywise looks like. I wonder why the author lists it as a "change")
Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:01:30 pm by walt
#5036  October 01, 2017, 06:30:00 am
Mother!

Finally got to see it, I love Aronofsky's films and this one is no different. This movie Felt so unique while watching It, It was disturbing in so many ways and I don't wanna give spoilers but it went to places I didn't expect and it left me with theories and stuff while also feeling something while and after watching It. This is the kind of movie, that I Just love, something that can stick with you and may cause discussion among people about what they thought was going on in It.

Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem give excellent performances, I honestly think JLaw in particular may get an Oscar nomination for this, but for How controversial the film seems, she may not (which would be a bummer, she was so good)

9/10
#5037  October 02, 2017, 05:08:42 am
Does Gantz: O count?

I finally plunked money down for Netflix and this was the first thing I watched. As the manga is one of my favorite pieces of art in any medium, this was very fucking good. I thought at first that it was ruining the canon for no reason, but it all came together in the end and I understand why they changed what they changed, it works well. It really brings the soul of the manga to life, and the CGI is fucking fantastic. I have no idea how this'll seem to people who don't know this world inside and out (probably not great?) but man, I haven't been this happy in a while.

If they did the entire series this way I'd just die of happiness.
#5038  October 02, 2017, 03:52:10 pm
  • SNK is life
Mother!

Finally got to see it, I love Aronofsky's films and this one is no different. This movie Felt so unique while watching It, It was disturbing in so many ways and I don't wanna give spoilers but it went to places I didn't expect and it left me with theories and stuff while also feeling something while and after watching It. This is the kind of movie, that I Just love, something that can stick with you and may cause discussion among people about what they thought was going on in It.

Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem give excellent performances, I honestly think JLaw in particular may get an Oscar nomination for this, but for How controversial the film seems, she may not (which would be a bummer, she was so good)

9/10
I was a bit on the fence on watching this in theaters or not, but being a true Aronofsky fan and reading your review got me pumped. Hopefully I'll be able to catch it before they remove it :D
#5039  October 04, 2017, 11:08:08 am
Spider-man Homecoming.
it was good. but i didn't like how this version of peter parker seemed superficially motivated to be hero by iron man and not by uncle ben. but atleast his tony stark fangirling had a good payoff at the end. i would've also liked to see a small scene showing how peter got bitten but i guess thats a dead horse at this point.
i really liked micheal keaton here. easily the best spiderman movie villain right with dr. octavius. he had a very reasonable motivation and he wasn't full of stupid villain cliches. hes performance sold it very well too.
good movie 8/10.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#5040  October 04, 2017, 03:09:54 pm
    • USA
Spider-man Homecoming.
it was good. but i didn't like how this version of peter parker seemed superficially motivated to be hero by iron man and not by uncle ben.
They definitely wanted to avoid going over the same area that the previous two movie series covered, and instead went with something fresh. It all actually reminds me a lot of the earliest Spider-Man comics; Uncle Ben was straight up never mentioned after the origin, for a really long time. Possibly not until Amazing #33 (which incidentally inspired that moment where in Homecoming where Spider-Man is trapped under something heavy and struggles to escape).

Which is not to say that Uncle Ben is totally superfluous, but he doesn't need to be constantly hanging in the back of Spider-Man's mind, every hour of every day.

As for the Iron Man stuff, I feel like the whole "Spider-Man seems mostly concerned with superheroics so that it will impress Tony Stark and eventually land him a spot in the Avengers" is a very, very early Peter Parker kind of thing to do. Peter built up a lot of resentment and bitterness in his life before he got bit by the spider, and even after Uncle Ben died he could still frequently be a resentful asshole, and it took a decent amount of time before he fully mellowed out (more or less by the time he graduated high school, went to college, and starting to find friends) and stopped selfishly seeking fame—after all, the second appearance of Spider-Man has him breaking into the Baxter Building to ask the Fantastic Four if he could join them (he leaves, however, when he learns he wouldn't be paid)! Peter's big character arc in Homecoming is all about learning how heroism is defined by saving people, not by the fame and fortune that sometimes comes with it. He's still a kid, and he may have learned a valuable lesson because of Uncle Ben's death, but he's still got a ways to go!