YesNoOk

Street Fighter II = 100% original? (HAPPY 20TH ANNIV.!) (Read 6175 times)

Started by 1983parrothead, February 17, 2011, 05:20:35 am
Share this topic:
Street Fighter II = 100% original? (HAPPY 20TH ANNIV.!)
#1  February 17, 2011, 05:20:35 am
For some reason, I've been hearing a lot of people loving Capcom's SFII, while calling other fighting games released later "rip-offs", which makes me think they'll turn their backs against them and go play SFII several more times while thinking like "SFII is and will always be the best fighting game on Earth".  Even several people consider things that help some post-SFII fighting games differentiate from SFII aren't enough to be appreciated over SFII.  Some believe it's ludicrous to stick with the first one over a similar, but superior one released later.

If many gamers don't want others to take ideas from SFII, then how come many don't care about SFII borrowing/stealing ideas from pre-SFII fighting games, as well as others like animes and real people?

This list shows the first kinds of fighting games in history, some very interesting, some not-so interesting.

Characters in post-SFII fighting games not as original as SFII's roster?  Well how do you explain all these and its next pages?
My Mugen Wish List would include protagonists, mascots and other iconic characters with everything they have brought straight from their source with little or no editing.
Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:21:12 am by 1983parrothead
Re: Street Fighter II = 100% original?
#2  February 17, 2011, 05:38:47 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
Honestly the whole Mortal Kombat rip-off thing is more noticeable as people have called stuff like Battle Monsters MK rip-offs even though of course lol it plays nothing like MK at all. With Tattoo Assassins it's more obvious but it's more of a parody than anything; and hell Nightwolf is a rip-off of Billy Two Moons so yeah

But I'm going off topic: with Street Fighter rip-offs it's kinda assumptive to say something like....Kaiser Knuckle or World Heroes is something is one of them. Fight Fever is understandable because it barely tries to differentiate itself (same world tour plot, two really boring main characters, etc), but that's kind of more SNK related than anything. Then again in general it's just really bad so that might've come to mind out of bias

And that rip-off page? Yeah, most of them are kind of insane. The Juri / Jolyne Kujo one is barely noticeable.

Heh. Honestly....
#3  February 17, 2011, 05:44:38 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
You are absolutely fooling yourself if you think the majority of 90s fighters are not attempts to ride Street Fighter II's coat tails.  And there's such a thing as designs that pay homage to other characters and celebrities, that's a bit different than taking an entire game, copying it and making a few minor differences a la a crappy knockoff brand cereal.
#4  February 17, 2011, 06:02:54 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
apparently fatal fury one was in development before sfii was released, so it's hard to call it a ripoff, plus sf2 comes aftter sf1, which itself was a ripoff karate champ.
#5  February 17, 2011, 06:44:47 am
Honestly the whole Mortal Kombat rip-off thing is more noticeable as people have called stuff like Battle Monsters MK rip-offs even though of course lol it plays nothing like MK at all. With Tattoo Assassins it's more obvious but it's more of a parody than anything; and hell Nightwolf is a rip-off of Billy Two Moons so yeah

But I'm going off topic: with Street Fighter rip-offs it's kinda assumptive to say something like....Kaiser Knuckle or World Heroes is something is one of them. Fight Fever is understandable because it barely tries to differentiate itself (same world tour plot, two really boring main characters, etc), but that's kind of more SNK related than anything. Then again in general it's just really bad so that might've come to mind out of bias

And that rip-off page? Yeah, most of them are kind of insane. The Juri / Jolyne Kujo one is barely noticeable.

Heh. Honestly....
apparently fatal fury one was in development before sfii was released, so it's hard to call it a ripoff, plus sf2 comes aftter sf1, which itself was a ripoff karate champ.

@MelvanaInChains & Satou Sei~

It's okay to talk about Mortal Kombat.  Strata's Time Killers is the Fatal Fury 1 in the MK competition.  Although Time Killers was released a few months after MK1, it was in development at the same time as MK1.

SFI is more like Yie Ar Kung-Fu on crack, with Karate Champ used as 2P Mode, while adding some elements from other pre-SFI fighters.  This is probably the reason why others like Konami, Data East and Technos Japan decided to counter attack Capcom.

@MelvanaInChains

Some of FightingStreet.com's comparisons might just be coincidences. Some might be serious tributes to the ones they are compared to.  Who knows?  If you look at the game Plok for the SNES, you might think it's a tribute/rip-off of Ubisoft's Rayman, but the Pickford Bros. who created Plok said they didn't design Plok after Rayman, so it's either a coincidence, or whoever disagrees with the Pickford Bros. believes they lied.

Fight Fever is poorly made, because its developer and SNK's then-Korean distributor, Viccom, was not only new to fighting game development, but generally video game development other than distributing.  They were most likely trained and assisted by SNK. Without developing Fight Fever, their superior fighting game released later for 3DO and MS-DOS, The Eye of Typhoon, would be as poorly made as Fight Fever.  Some people like Fight Fever's gameplay over Fatal Fury 1's, especially when you know how to play it well.

I noticed that Fight Fever mostly has elements of Fatal Fury 2/Special and AoF, as seen in this video and its description.  Han Baedal was most likely modeled after both SF's Ryu and AoF's Ryo Sakazaki, because they were both created by the same employee(s) that worked for both Capcom and SNK, and Han's moveset is a combination of Ryu's and Ryo's.  The creator(s) of Ryu and Ryo might have created Han Baedal for Viccom.  Speaking of Ryo, his voice actor voiced Fight Fever's final boss Karate Kenji.
My Mugen Wish List would include protagonists, mascots and other iconic characters with everything they have brought straight from their source with little or no editing.
Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:54:28 am by 1983parrothead
#6  February 17, 2011, 10:33:45 am
    • Philippines
People call fighting games SF2 ripoffs because SF2 was the fighting game that made the genre mainstream :P
#7  February 17, 2011, 11:42:03 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
MK 1 was a lot more different to Streetfighter II at least than Art of Fighting , Fatal Fury and many other fighting games which were released later *cough*

What was earlier btw Mk 1 or Art of Fighting?

GOH

#8  February 17, 2011, 11:44:06 am
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
MK1.
#9  February 17, 2011, 11:50:55 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
street fighter games are a pool of homages to fighting movies and martial arts stereotypes. There is little doubt that jolyne is Juri inspiration, and that tintin pic isnt that odd when you notice that they have not only the same hair as the same stubby round nose.
#10  February 17, 2011, 11:06:33 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
No, Iced, it's stupid.
#11  February 18, 2011, 03:41:13 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA

MDI

#12  February 18, 2011, 06:26:31 am
    • mugen.yolasite.com/stages.php
SF2 sucks anyways. Smash Brothers basically renders every fighting game obsolete.
ey
#13  February 18, 2011, 06:27:07 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
    • USA
#14  February 18, 2011, 08:12:53 am
  • what a shame
    • Iran
every fps game is a ripoff of wolfenstein 3D/doom

GOH

#15  February 18, 2011, 11:48:40 am
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
So, Doom and Wolfenstein are a ripoff of each other? :trollface
#16  February 18, 2011, 11:52:39 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
All games are rip off's of Pong. Because they use pixels to display graphics and code to make things happen.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#17  February 18, 2011, 12:34:07 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
And pong is the hack of an oscillometer, so all games are ripoffs of a hack.

DMK

#18  February 18, 2011, 12:41:46 pm
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
#19  February 18, 2011, 12:49:54 pm
    • France

DMK

#20  February 18, 2011, 12:56:41 pm
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
We had science classes, but when I'd imagine something like that would be coming up in the teachers lesson plan, the assholes in class would ruin it for everybody by not listening, causing trouble, or not allowing them to go over things before we left for the lab. God knows what other cool things I missed out on in grade school due to dipshits wanting to give teachers a hard time.  :(
#21  February 18, 2011, 02:11:24 pm
  • bd poster :D
    • Italy
    • http://emanuelepepi.tk
#22  February 18, 2011, 02:38:51 pm
    • France
LOL
#23  February 18, 2011, 06:14:50 pm
  • I'm Happy
Street Fighter 1 is a rip-off of Street Fighter 2

PSN: Cashman1242
Gamertag: Cashman124
#24  February 18, 2011, 06:17:17 pm
  • StormEX
  • | Content Creator | Gamer | Programmer |
    • USA
    • Twitch.tv/ZayOsirisGaming
All games are rip off's of Pong. Because they use pixels to display graphics and code to make things happen.
Now that you mention pong. I knew a guy that tried to search up cheats for it. If you need cheats for pong then you really suck. :S
#25  February 18, 2011, 09:45:50 pm
  • Trying now to act normal
    • https://onedrive.live.com/?id=7DB65F02B0BBD12E!105&cid=7DB65F02B0BBD12E
Ryu Ken Akuma's fireballs always remind me of DBZ Son Goku's Hamehameha............ ;P
* Pleasing other people is nice, but when creating for Mugen, you're supposed to please yourself first. -- Cybaster
#26  February 18, 2011, 09:57:31 pm
Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:41:03 pm by Shocksconstant
#27  February 18, 2011, 10:30:57 pm
What are you mad about? He's right. Goku and the rest did learn it from him in the Dragon Ball.
#28  February 19, 2011, 08:47:43 am
  • Trying now to act normal
    • https://onedrive.live.com/?id=7DB65F02B0BBD12E!105&cid=7DB65F02B0BBD12E
What are you mad about? He's right. Goku and the rest did learn it from him in the Dragon Ball.

Shocksconstant is right that's my bad...........oh how can I be a Dragonball fan when I forget this fact........ :'( :-\ :-X

"The Kamehameha was invented by Master Roshi over a fifty year period spanning pre-Dragon Ball."  ;)
* Pleasing other people is nice, but when creating for Mugen, you're supposed to please yourself first. -- Cybaster
#29  February 19, 2011, 09:09:35 am
  • Maker of obscurity.
    • http://tetsuwanatom.b1.jcink.com/
Dragon Ball started in 1984, so we can't doubt that Capcom have borrowned something. Also, Street Fighter series might have gotten some inspiration from Hokuto No Ken as well.
-Toshio Tenma
#30  February 19, 2011, 09:20:56 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Lets not forget that Blanka was obviously inspired by Chuck Norris
#31  February 19, 2011, 11:06:16 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Thanks for yet, another unfunny joke.
Dragon Ball started in 1984, so we can't doubt that Capcom have borrowned something. Also, Street Fighter series might have gotten some inspiration from Hokuto No Ken as well.
Ryu's first design WAS Kenshiro inspired, he had a shoulderpad and... pretty much similar attire.
Then there's Gouda (A character who appears in both the HnK pilot and the main story) who's pretty much Zangief.

CF7

#32  February 20, 2011, 12:06:54 am
Come on, folks...the Kamehameha, Hadouken and it's 'lookalikes' are based on the theory of Chi/Ki!

...anyways...Fighting Games are divided in "before and after SF2"...SF2 brought Fighting Games to the map; It is responsible for the 90's Fighting Game BOOM, where every Company tried to assimilate what they though was responsible for it's success, and put it on their games...so it will forever be remembered as the King (and rightfully so). IMO, every Fighting Game owes SF2 (directly or indirectly) big time.

@1983parrothead: I think the following Blogs will be interesting read for you (specially the series named "Based on a true story"):
http://www.capcom-unity.com/bigmex/blog/2009/11/25/thankful_for_the_community

This batch is off-topic, but good read as well:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/street_fighter/go/thread/view/7411/24873617/How_to_design_a_Street_Fighter_character.&post_num=1#449065833

To end my post, I'm going to add some info to Iced sayings
street fighter games are a pool of homages to fighting movies, martial arts stereotypes and animes.
Re: Street Fighter II = 100% original? (HAPPY 20TH ANNIV.!)
#33  March 06, 2011, 03:47:27 am
*bump*

March 1991 - March 2011

HAPPY 20TH ANNIVERSARY STREET FIGHTER II!