YesNoOk

Method of simplifying/condensing implementation of 360 & 720 commands? (Read 13408 times)

Started by Ricepigeon, November 03, 2015, 03:53:16 am
Share this topic:
Method of simplifying/condensing implementation of 360 & 720 commands?
#1  November 03, 2015, 03:53:16 am
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
Okay so on my latest WIP I reached a bit of an issue. I already know that 360 commands only require a 270 motion and 720 commands only require a 540 motion. However, when trying to implement the commands, I have to account for not only each starting direction, but also negative edge, and clockwise/counterclockwise notations (a total of 16 commands just for a single button, 48 with three variants).

This by itself isnt too much, but it gets worse when I take into account that not only does my character have a 360+Punch motion move, but also a 720+Punch and a 720+3Punch motion. The former adds another 48 commands to my cmd file, but since the latter requires three button presses, and uses a custom buffer system to detect negative edge for the three buttons, as well as the fact that that same command uses an the unused C button as a shortcut, if I'm counting correctly, thats 48+48+80, or 176 different commands just for these three moves alone. Iirc, theres a limit to how many commands can be defined in the CMD file. Is there a way to condense or simplify this?
Re: Method of simplifying/condensing implementation of 360 & 720 commands?
#2  November 03, 2015, 04:02:43 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Wouldn't you just make the motion as the command and then the button(s) as the trigger to actually activate said command?
#3  November 03, 2015, 04:07:08 am
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
Two ways:

1. Manually programming command detection of a 360 motion by reading the cardinal directions and activating the "command" if a full circle was completed (1 variable can store the pressed directions, 1 variable can be a timer).
2. Letting MUGEN decide when the circle was completed, but keep directional inputs separate from button inputs.

The former is hardcoding a solution, the latter is a more streamlined solution.

If you're gonna attempt the latter, then you are gonna be programming a command buffering system in the middle anyway, so you might as well just do that.

My advice: don't spend hours upon hours figuring out how to program a command buffering system (it sounds easy on paper, it takes months to fix ALL the small bits). Mine is already well-documented and has been tested for many years, it also fixes reversed commands and multiple-button negative edge.

One additional perk is that you would only need to define the actual directional inputs in your CMD, all the button presses are handled separately. This will dramatically reduce the number of unique labels you use in your CMD files.

@Jesuszilla: keeps the most up-to-date version of the system that fits Capcom-style characters. The system itself is also self-contained in a compact file.
Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 04:17:32 am by Vans
#4  November 04, 2015, 01:41:37 am
    • Canada
One thing to note about 720 motions (at least for recent capcom games) is that they're not "true" 720s but rather two 360s in sequence. Meaning that if you do a clockwise 360 immediately followed by a counter clockwise 360, then that is enough to register the 720 motion. So all you would need is a variable that ticks down after you do one 360 to look for the 2nd 360.
The double-curse of Blue Beard Baboon lies in these words you see. Read them once, then read them twice and your island is history.