The King of Fighters Excel (KoF-X for short) is a full game idea that I have and is something I've been re-developing... again. This time, I'm trying to make the game more reminiscent of the older titles but with some modern touches. Because of this, the game has been redesigned into something quite different than originally planned (and shown).
Information (subject to change):
- This game will not have a huge character count (including bosses, somewhere in the 20s).
- Because of the limitations of character choices that teams would make, there will not be "pre-set teams."
- Most all of the expected KoF sub-systems will be present (hopping, rolling, emergency attack/evade, etc).
- Both Run & Forward Dash will be available at the same time.
- There will be no story (I only want to focus on the fighting. If someone is interested in adding a story down the line, I don't mind).
- Just Defense (MotW) will be present. Recovery time is slightly quicker, no increase in health.
- There will be Chain Combos now (inspired from the Rumble Fish, obscure fighter that I really like).
- EX Moves will be present.
- There will be 2 levels of hypers: (S)DMs and XDMs (MAX-only moves).
- Super Canceling will be present. Does not require gauge.
- Excel Attack allows you to cancel a chain combo into another chain (requires 1 power stock).
- Throw Cancels are present. Cancel a command throw into a free state to start an attack or combo (requires 1 power stock).
- Excel Cancels (inspired from Guilty Gear's Roman Cancels) allow for canceling a special move's recovery frames (requires 1 power stock). Not all moves have this.
- Stagger cancels allow for breaking out of a stagger state (requires 1 stock).
- Excel Provocation is a taunt that takes a power stock. After this taunt, the next hit by either player is enhanced.
- If the player hits, the opponent loses extra damage and/or are staggered.
- If the player is hit, they lose extra damage and/or are staggered.
- Every fighter will be color separated (won't be anything elaborate though).
- There is no air guard.
- The fighting is not designed to be juggle-heavy. Staggers replace juggles (of course there are exceptions).
- Velocities, frame data, and other small things probably won't be 100% faithful to the source (I'll get it as close as possible); I'm sure it's okay as long as it looks right.
- The characters will be released outside the full game.
Current roster :
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Questions/comments/suggestions/criticisms are all welcome. If you have any ideas that you think would make this better, feel free.