YesNoOk

Diary of the creation of a P.o.t.S character Part 6: Santa's Little Helpers (Read 1782 times)

Started by Ziltoid, September 12, 2020, 07:32:03 pm
Share this topic:
Diary of the creation of a P.o.t.S character Part 6: Santa's Little Helpers
#1  September 12, 2020, 07:32:03 pm
  • Indeed
Previous parts:

Part 1: Basic Movements

Part 2: Run, Dash, Evade, Power Charge, Zero Counter, Parry

Part 3: Custom Combo, Recovery, Guard

Part 4: Lose and Intro animations

Part 5: Constants, Win animations, Taunts

Part 6: Universal Helpers

Greetings! It took a bit more time to write this, 'cause I'm working full-time again and I have less time to do mugen related stuff. Which may be for the best, actually. Although mugen is one of my tools to deal with stress and relax a bit, I was starting to overwork myself with this project. So, I'll take this with the due timing to avoid the feeling of burnout that killed many a project.

The System.st file is almost done. The remaining parts are the Statedefs -2 and -3, which redirect to many other states I haven't even looked at yet. That's why I'll leave that part for later. Today, I'll be starting to deal with the universal, P.o.t.S-trademarked helpers. I'll deal with Ryu's unique helpers as I deal with the associate moves.

Being this stuff universally used to make a character "look P.o.t.S-ish", this will be obviously mostly a copypaste job. However, I'll try to highlight the differences between Jmorphman's codes (which I'm taking as a template) and variations whenever I can. This may be boring, but you may find it useful as a template if you want to understand why a character has bigger/different sparks and this bothers you (which does it for me).

PARRY HELPERS
In most recent P.o.t.S characters, the file starts with these. Not Ryu, though. Actually, the geography of this file is very different, so we'll be pretty much remaking it.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Gotta be honest, I'm not really sure what's happening here. At first I thought this coded for the blue thingy, but then I realized it's just an explod (which I'm putting here under). Does this code decide the area of action of the parry itself?

After this part usually go the unique helpers of the character, such as projectiles and stuff. We'll jump ahead.

GUARD SPARKS
Most of the stuff that follows is identical from a character to the other. As it should be, if you're an OCD fella and want your roster to look like it comes from the same actual game.

Guard sparks are pretty conserved between character even in different "P.o.t.S sub-styles", the only difference I found are the scales. I'm keeping those I'm finding on Jmorphman's characters.

HIT SPARKS
The only difference between weak, medium and strong hitsparks are the scales, but these can change between authors.

I'm putting the axis coordinates (for these sprites themselves, not the animations), since they aren't centered (except the last).

SPECIAL/SUPER HIT SPARKS
Authors such as Infinite and DW use colored hitsparks for the special moves and supers, whereas "classic" authors just resize them further. If you are paying attention you already know I'll be opting for the latter option.

SLASH SPARKS
Ryu doesn't really need those since he doesn't have slashing attacks of sorts (as far as I know), but I'll put them anyway because why not?

These follow the same rules as normal sparks, except the scales are a lot more anarchic between authors.

REVERSAL SPARK
A variation of the normal hitspark that is triggered by a reversal. Not every character has this, even among the classic P.o.t.S-style authors. I like it, so I'll enter the "Yeah Statedef 8020 club".

DUST EXPLODS
Here comes a bunch of helpers that give the idea of movement while the character jumps, dashes, and so forth. I think they're universal, unless some bigger character have something different.

This one plays during dashes and rolls.

This is not always present, but I'll put it.

FLAMES
This is also not exactly universal, it depends on the character. Ryu does have an equivalent helper, though.

Ryu had a different animation and the sprites were grouped under different numbers. It included a blue flame spark, which I'll be ignoring for now. I'll edit this part if I discover a use for it.

OTHER HELPERS
Here comes some miscellany universal helpers. This one is the circle thingy during recoveries.

Here's a (probably) unpopular opinion: I strongly dislike the MvC style text that appears during counters and super finishes. I won't remove them, but I'll add my own trigger to deactivate them. So, I'm gonna add this on the config file:

Code:
; MvC Style Text
[State 5900, Text]
type = VarSet
trigger1 = 1
v = 55
value = 0 ; (0 = on, 1 = off)

That said, whenever you see the var(55) anywhere in the following parts, it's me giving myself the option to remove texts. (Spoiler: I'll do the same for the Lv3 super portraits)

To break a bit the monotony, the BindToRoot of this helper needs to be placed carefully to match the power charge animation, as well as the bel values on the particle explod.

So, this. I found this code in quite a bunch of characters, so I'm assuming it's use goes beyond the "win vs Vega" sequence. Here it is. It's just a reddish version of the Power Charge particle.

This one is for the thunder effect during the zero counter. No need to keep track of the position, this is done in the main statedef.

And finally, the Custom Combo activation flash effect.

Re: Diary of the creation of a P.o.t.S character Part 6: Santa's Little Helpers
#2  September 12, 2020, 07:33:04 pm
  • Indeed
SUPER EFFECTS
These are a bit more complex, since they include sparks as well as background changes, pauses and portraits.

And now a party trick: the double portrait for the tag team Super with Ken. Unluckily, this kind of move is something more unique than rare. I'm pretty sure Jmorphman is making a double Super between Evil Ryu and Violent Ken, in that case I'll update this part.

For the portraits, I recycled the ones in Jmorphman's Ken and mirrored them.

SUPER FINISH EFFECTS
And now for the firework-y Super Finish effect. Again, I'll be giving myself the option to remove the texts with the var(55).

Lastly, this thing. The Camera Control explod is useful whenever you need the camera to fixate to certain points regardless of the character's movements, such as during intros.

And with this we (almost) finished the Helpers. I'll deal with the non-universal ones as soon as I'll work on the move they're associated with. There's nothing much to give feedback here, but if you have, it's always appreciated.

Previous parts:

Part 1: Basic Movements

Part 2: Run, Dash, Evade, Power Charge, Zero Counter, Parry

Part 3: Custom Combo, Recovery, Guard

Part 4: Lose and Intro animations

Part 5: Constants, Win animations, Taunts