YesNoOk

[ Spriting ] Run (Read 3958 times)

Started by FeLo_Llop, February 09, 2009, 12:27:55 pm
Share this topic:
[ Spriting ] Run
#1  February 09, 2009, 12:27:55 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!

Spriting Tutorial: Time to Run!![/U]

So...my first tutorial in English. And after exams. What means a fried, dead and lacking of ideas’ brain :P And of course, my epic gramar mistakes, haha.

Some of the chars you can download these days, specially those made by Capcom (except from the CvS series and in general, those from SNKP) misses the run sprites. Same for other sagas and games.
Making sprites with normal size is easy, specially having other references of similar sizes. My example. When I was making my Rose spritepack, I used as reference, CvS-1 Chun Li for the run(yes, it’s true). But, what happens if those sprites are smaller, or has a different size? What about the style?

The question about the style is easy to answer. As my spriting system starts nearly from zero, you have the sketch clearly from the begining what leaves you to make the style you want.
But today we’ll going to work with Miyako, who’s a girl with a strange size, small, big headed and cute. What I hate the most in a character(don’t mention to me chars like...Athena Asamiya, or similar...I hate Lolis, and I can kill you ò_ó). So, it’s time to start this.

What do we need??[/U]

First of all, you’ll need a spritepack, sprite sheet or similar. Don’t use anyone’s sff for that, EXCEPT if you have his/her permission. So in this case, thanks goes to Rajaaboy, who kindly let me to use his Miyako for making this tutorial :P.
Some pages you can get sprites from:
-   JustnoPoint
-   EmuGif(chinese...but easy navigation :P)
-   Dr.Snaps

Google for them :P

Things you need:
-   MSPaint(Phtoshop/PSP/etc doesn’t guarantee you an awesome work).
-   Photoshop. Of course, kinda contradictory these two lines. We will be using this just for the “green outlines” thing I’ll explain a bit after.
-   Drawing notions, which includes vision for the overall shading thing :P
-   Patience. Is also a virtue.
-   Music. Better this way :P

Step One: how do I start?[/U]

Yes. First of all, try to use a character you think is close to the one you’re going to sprite. Then, seeing in the spritepacks I have, I found CvS-Nakoruru too close to the size and style. So...here we go:
CvS Nakoruru’s run, ready to the conversion

Now, take one sprite and resize with the dimension you see OK. I go more with the “by eye” method, not too friend of Photoshop resize :P(If you use Photoshop for resize, don’t forgot to indexate color before resizing).:

Then, when you have it resized, just draw green(or purples/fucsia, etc ) lines above the resized sprite. I suggest to use DIFFERENT colors that doesn’t appears in the sprite, for not confusing Photoshop. POINT: You don’t need to make lines above the exact original line. Every character needs what you think it’s correct, so, experimentate. Practice is the best school.
Green outlines in Nakoruru. Note the different arm, that will give make the base less noticeable

Now, with Photshop, just select the green lines and copy&paste to your MSPaint or else. This just leaves you the green things without anything inside or out:

Now, you have it, it’s time for give it a bit of colour. We’ll choose flat colors(1) for begining. After that,  darker for the outlines(2), and in the end, the lighters for playing with shades and that(3):

Now it’s time you to have a break. Take a coke, juice, beer or etc. It’s up to you.

But as the most of you have noticed, it needs a head!! So, looking for a workable head in her sheet, we find this:

After that, just cut the zone you need and make the changes you’ll be using for the frankensprite. POINT: Save at least ONE head. Just because the hair flows and all :P

Now as you can see, there’s a space between the head and the body(1), which needs to be filled. What I make and it’s useful, is painting this zone in...for example, purple and fucsia, or green-darker green. Colors that won’t be used, and easily recogniseable to our eyes(2):

Now you have that spice filled, it’s time you to color it. Follow the same steps we used while in her body. DarkeràLighter. And try to find a way to make a hair texture. It’s hard, specially if it’s your first attempt at spriting. Take references in other characters. That works most of the times. My advice is working in small areas. Use cilinders in diagonal for make simple hair schemes. Then sprite it :P
Now you’ve finished this hair, it’s time to fix some mistakes we made in the sprite.

And the final point to this tutorial.  I know I’m boring and you have a lot of more interesting things to do in the day but: you won’t go to sleep without learning something new.

So, have a nice day!!

Thanks to:
- Rajaaboy, who let me use his Miyako Char
- PotS: I have Nakoruru’s sprtepack, but I was too lazy to unpack her -_- So I used his character for the tuto. Hope doesn’t bother, bro :P

I swear there was something cool here!!
Re: [ Spriting ] Run
#2  February 09, 2009, 03:01:08 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Nakoruru isn't exactly a good base because she has that ninja run with the stiff upper body, hehe. Are you going to finish that anim?
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#3  February 09, 2009, 03:20:27 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!

Nakoruru isn't exactly a good base because she has that ninja run with the stiff upper body, hehe. Are you going to finish that anim?

I knew...But I guess changing arms' places would work :P

So, yes, I'm going to finish that run :D
I swear there was something cool here!!
#4  February 09, 2009, 10:00:19 pm
    • Thailand
Just remember to toss them over this way when you're done, and thanks for the tutorial.  ;P

I was having problems with making running sprites for someone without them about a week ago, I was going to wait until later to try again but this helps, Thanks
Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:03:39 pm by Rajaa
#5  February 16, 2009, 05:44:55 pm
Nice tutorial
#6  March 06, 2009, 06:04:57 pm
If you use Photoshop for resize, don’t forgot to indexate color before resizing

this is a good tip