YesNoOk

Pope Francis asks young people to stop playing video games (Read 9488 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, August 03, 2016, 10:02:35 am
Share this topic:
Pope Francis asks young people to stop playing video games
#1  August 03, 2016, 10:02:35 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
During his recent visit to Poland, Pope Francis gave a speech to young people in order to invite them to leave the video game and get away from the screens to take a more active role in society.

“Dear young people, we didn’t come into this work to ‘vegetate’, to take it easy, to make our lives a comfortable sofa to fall asleep on. No, we came for another reason: to leave a mark,” Francisco said in front of a crowd that gathered in Brzegi, a village on the outskirts of Krakow.

The pope described consumerism and computers as a kind of modern escapism that separates people, and summoned his followers to become “politicians, thinkers, social activists” to help build a global economy, “inspired by solidarity”.

“”The times we live in do not call for young ‘couch potatoes’, but for young people with shoes, or better, boots laced” he said. “You want others to decide your future?” He asked, but did not get the rousing “No!” he was going for, Francisco reversed the question: “You want to fight for your future,” he said. “Yes!” shouted the audience.

Before the vigil, Pope Francisco has had other meetings and events. In the morning in a homily dedicated to religious men and women in the sanctuary of St. John Paul II in Krakow he has urged the churches to open their doors and be “open tender” with the weakest.

http://gametransfers.com/pope-francis-asks-young-people-to-stop-playing-video-games/

I am going to ask old people now to stop visiting the church.
Re: Pope Francis asks young people to stop playing video games
#2  August 03, 2016, 10:06:26 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I guess he didn't like Undertale.
#3  August 03, 2016, 10:35:54 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:48:03 am by J.A.N.G.O.
#4  August 03, 2016, 11:24:23 am
  • Sublimity.
    • Canada
Without my nor anyone needing say a word, this pope single-handedly fed himself to the wolves.
#5  August 03, 2016, 12:06:55 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
He's not wrong though.
#6  August 03, 2016, 12:24:22 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Matpat: Gifts the pope Understale as a symbolic gesture to represent the evolution of gamers and try to remove some of the negative stigma regarding them.
Pope: Tells gamers to go fuck themselves.

Ok, real talk. No, he's not wrong. We should definitely be trying to leave a mark in the world. But the wording he chose heavily implies that people that play video games are lazy good for nothings that are looking for an escapism from reality. While such people do exist, obviously this isn't the case of every single person that has picked up and still picks up a controller.
Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:35:48 pm by Darkflare
#7  August 03, 2016, 12:42:23 pm
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#8  August 03, 2016, 12:55:58 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
By that same logic, people should also stop watching movies or TV, reading books, or doing any kind of recreational pastime.
#9  August 03, 2016, 01:02:23 pm
Right on.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#10  August 03, 2016, 01:27:31 pm
  • Strongest Vampire
  • Kyeeh!
    • Puerto Rico
I like MatPat and his theories but this recent one about him giving the Pope Undertale is stupid. And now the Pope is asking people to stop playing video games... Yeah, i ain't gonna stop playing video games.
#11  August 03, 2016, 02:00:05 pm
  • IPPEN SHINDE KOI!
  • TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THAT SNOUT!
    • Canada
    • keg2810@hotmail.com
    • biggreenmugen.weebly.com/
By that same logic, people should also stop watching movies or TV, reading books, or doing any kind of recreational pastime.

And yet due to being the baby of the bunch, gaming gets the scorn.
#12  August 03, 2016, 02:08:43 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
A man who was already balding when the original Super Mario Bros. came out has a dated and negative view on video games? Gee, who could've seen that one coming!
Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 02:45:03 pm by Brave li'l Fubs
#13  August 03, 2016, 02:13:43 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Yeah, the Pope could have worded that better, and I mean WAY better than what he said. I'm a religious guy myself but i'm not going to stop playing video games, it's part of my being. Besides, there are multitudes of people that play video games and still make an impact in the world. Video games are an outlet for fun, storytelling, and many other things as well. It's a part of many of our lives, and it's not like you can shut it off like a water tap. In the end, the Pope just shot himself in the foot with his words.
#14  August 03, 2016, 02:27:13 pm
    • Vietnam
He probably saw Highschool DxD and hated it. :D
#15  August 03, 2016, 03:45:59 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
I am going to ask old people now to stop visiting the church.
How is that even remotely related to what he's saying?

It was a simple joke/spinoff of the headline, without any thought behind it.

But it makes just as much sense as the pope basically saying that games are not good and kids should spend their time with something else.

That thinking is nothing but old man's thoughts about how sooo much better it was to play soccer outside etc.
#16  August 03, 2016, 04:41:10 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

I need my Just Dance and Dance Central for exercise. Sure its escapism but I don't vegetate with these games.

I was also able to have  goals with videogames, joined communities online and offline, made new friends, learned how to sprite, become an investor. I inspire people from mugen, openbor and even game maker communities.

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#17  August 03, 2016, 06:48:20 pm
  • For honor!
Well Pope you're actually absolutely right buuuuuuut I don't care.
*Turns the 3DS back on*
Iroha stripped for me
#18  August 03, 2016, 07:10:49 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Has he met some of the people playing video games? Who's to say they're even qualified to make a mark on the world? I sure as hell wouldn't be. I'm too cynical and biased for that shit.

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#19  August 03, 2016, 07:11:43 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
And here I thought the Pope would be proud of me doing crusades in Mount & Blade
Oh well

OZ

#20  August 03, 2016, 08:46:22 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
francis can see the everlasting light of our lord and creator, but can he see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?

no, he cannot
ಠ_ಠ